Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Escape to Miami Tri help....
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever done it? What's the course like? Help a brotha out?

http://www.escapetomiamitriathlon.com/

Thanks guys....

Infidel.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape to Miami Tri help.... [DCunleaded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, i'm doing this too!

I thought it was flat, hot, and flat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did it last year, cool race.

The swim dpends on how the tide is going as the current will vary depending on it, so try to find out how will it be at race time.

the bike is pretty cool, the run is nothing special, this year should be better as the race is a month later and this summer seems to have ended.

good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only tell you about the bike course...'cause that's all I did.

Let's see...you leave downtown Miami and head up and over a bridge to Miami Beach, but you can't see the beach. Instead, you're along a golf course. Then you turn around, go past the golf course again, and go up and over another bridge and back in downtown. Repeat 1x. Different parts of the course will likely give you headwinds and tailwinds.

I liked it but was glad I didn't have to do the swim or run. :)

"You're faster than you think!" --Nike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took some people almost 2hr to do the swim last year. It really wasn't that bad, but apparently they gave bad information at the pre-race meeting about what to sight on. I missed the meeting and had a good swim. The times were all really slow for everyone. I came out in 31:xx and was definitely towards the front.

The bike is pretty fast. There were some sections of concrete downtown that were sketchcy with sewer grates and the like... The bottle hand-up only gave out water if i remember right.

The run was hell, but I was also coming off a running injury. There was no shade at all and you have to go over a bridge, I think. It was also in Sept. last year, so the heat was even more of a factor.

If you look at last year's results, all the times are slow. I know the winner was taken away by ambulance immediately after crossing the line... it was a brutal day. But, I really really wish I were racing. I had a lot of fun with it last year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin79 pretty much nailed it. The swim, well, let's just say I wasn't as fortunate as she to come out in the front (we all can't be FOP swimmers like Lauren :) Bike course is urban, has a few bridges which we call "hills" around here -- 2 loops. Run is an out and back, has one bridge and is unprotected from the sun -- so if it doesn't cool down pretty quickly this week, it's going to be another baker. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Escape to Miami Tri help.... [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever. I passed on all my swimming 'secrets' to you. I expect you to be at the FOP in Florida...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
expect 16mph winds

this year is only 1.1km swimming, last year was 1.5km

cross wind on the first bridge, tail wind on the way back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK here is the rundown. I just checked the weather forecast since I will be doing it too. Its supposed to be sunny, no rain so basically it will be kind of nice until about 8AM, then it will get very hot and humid. There should be a breeze.

Swim is kind of like a V shape thing going north, then coming south. I heard of some currents last year but for this year they changed the shape and direction of the swim.

Bike is 2 loops around biscayne Blvd (commercial/residential area) then over the causeway (julia Tuttle) to Miami Beach. The bridges are not long nor steep I think the grade is like 5% for the steeper one. If its windy you will have work on the causeway portion which is the biggest portion of the bike leg. Some lanes might be closed to traffic but there will be cars on the causeway.

Run course has no shade whatsoever is all in paved roads going into the other causeway (Mcarthur) so you will have another bridge going in and coming back

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Escape to Miami Tri help.... [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ivan,

I am doing this race too - thanks for the report!

Looking forward to a great day - the view down there is always beautiful and I think the "escape" theme on the swim should be fun and a different twist.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape to Miami Tri help.... [PoolDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Yes, you had told me you were doing it. Not sure if will have time to enjoy the view, i hope there is not a lot of wind. Looks like its going to be hot, specially by the time the run comes.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Escape to Miami Tri help.... [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i hope there is not a lot of wind
10-15 mph... that first bridge going over the causeway was a pain in the ass. Swim was OK this time
Quote Reply