Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Memphis Folks
Quote | Reply
Recommendations for running routes in downtown Memphis (no car).

Any pools I can get to?
Quote Reply
Re: Memphis Folks [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a YMCA downtown, right near the ballpark. There's also a pool at the Univ of Tenn Health Science Center, which is about a mile EAST of downtown, but I don't recall if there is public access.

As far as running routes go, I would head towards Mud Island park -- a long grassy area right along the river. It's only a mile or two from downtown, depending upon where exactly you start from. Here's a quick G-map route:

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=476787

If you have any other Memphis questions, feel free to PM me. I'm no longer there, but lived there for 7 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you with the pool issue. The Y downtown just refinished their pool. It is still like swimming in a dungeon. I use the Y in Millington and it is 1000 times nicer than the downtown branch.

As far as running, check out the memphis runners club. They meet all the time in the Cooper/Young area.

What kind of distances are you at? I've been looking for someone to run with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have recommendations on where to live (buy a house) in the Memphis area? There seems to be quite a few nice homes in the Cordova and Germantown area. Is this a good place to live/raise a family?

How is the training in the area? Are there any good cycling group rides, etc?

Sorry for all of the questions, but We are thinking about moving there from South Florida and I wanted some info from people who train it the area.

Thanks,

Dan

As Iron Sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another.
Quote Reply
Re: Memphis Folks [IronmanDan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just pm'd you.
Quote Reply
Re: Memphis Folks [IronmanDan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey IronmanDan,

I live in Collierville. It borders Germantown to the east. There are a few active Tri Clubs/Teams in the area. I'm with Memphis Thunder Tri Club. Our web site is Memphisthunderracing.com, its not real fancy but we have a message board as well. There are a number of regular rides etc around town. As far as a place to live I'd go for Germantown or Collierville. Any more questions, let me know.
Last edited by: Big'un: Oct 16, 06 12:03
Quote Reply