Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!!
Quote | Reply
Well, I've been riding bikes for 25 years and I've never snapped a saddle rail. But this morning, not only did I snap a saddle rail off my Selle Italia TT saddle, but I snapped both simultaneously in the same place. While I don't weigh a lot (140ish lbs), I ride the nose a pretty well all the time while aero. There is a lot of torque on the rail where it meets the "first clamp". I ride a QR Lucero, that has one of those "circular pressure clamps" on the front, that likely causes a point stress riser, and it is right in front of this that the dual "snap" occurred. Perhaps I just had too much differential in torque between the front and rear clamp, combined with the nose riding...not sure.

In any case, has anyone else who rides the nose of a saddle had this issue? What kind of seat post clamp did you have?

Fortunately, I was only 5K from the office completing a hard half Ironman race pace ride 50K, so I was about to start my cool down. I got to ride back "softride style", with the seat hanging on with the rear clamp only!
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is a seatpost clamp issue as much as it is an issue of your riding style and saddle position, combined with hollow rail Ti seat rails. Next saddle, I'd say go with cro-mo or solid ti rails.

The pressure on the front and rear clamps from seatpost bolt torque will always be equal. That's how the saddle is levelled.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you really *are* putting on the "bulk", ya fat bastid! ;-)

At least ya can get it fixed and be good to go for when it counts.

Not sure if you have any options regarding using a different seatpost given the bike you ride.

Look at the bright side, your bike is "pre-disastered" now.

But either way, lay off the chalupas ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just going to say that swimfan will be calling Dev a "fattie" next!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've broken two saddles that way in 2 years. One was a selle san marco aspide tri the other a profile design tri stryke. I know the PD saddle was solid ti rails (forget about the other) but they replaced it for free. I have a standard one bolt seat clamp and ride on the nose as well. It's a rather dishearteing thing to happen, for sure. I was 30 miles from home when it happend to me a month ago, not fun getting home...

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [Mister Bubbles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I bet Dev has been running a Bento box too.... it's all so clear now ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same thing happened to me during a race with the same saddle. LBS replaced it no questions asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the same thing with that saddle as well as one of the old Flite saddles. Both times when I was fitter and leaner than I am now, but I rode my tri bike at the tip of the saddle as well

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As your picture from the Esprit 1/2 IM depicts, you have put on some serious "cosmetic bulk". I always ride on the nose of the saddle, but have not had this issue. My loosing some serious "cosmetic bulk" this year may have helped this. The stress you placed on the saddle rails was just too much :-)

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, looks like a lot of you have had the same "disaster". I still have a 10K ride home this evening. Could be 10K of standing with a backpack on.

ML, yes, I am feeling heavier lately, but my run times have been good at least when I run on a track or treadmill where things are constant. Nevertheless, I am worrying that I have joined Swimfan's favourite target group. I even bought a Bento box, but my knees keep rubbing the darn thing, so it is not being used. Still have three back pockets on my bike jersey that have more capacity that a Bento to gain weight during long rides.

Fortunately no more long rides to gain weight on. Now just shorter middle distance race pace stuff that I can complete with one or two bottles (3-4 hours).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least the break was not catastrophic. I'm guessing a titanium and carbon enema or prostate exam would be less than pleasant.

Quote | Reply
I've heard that Sella San Marco Triathgel's Ti rails break a lot. I'm nervous about mine, but I did finish IMF with it. I just hope it doesn't crap out at some terribly inopportune time, like in the middle of some century or some race.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, after your double flats you started carrying a frame pump. What now? You have a bento box, cages, frame pump, bag - might as well just carry a backpack with lots of "extras" :) Good thing you race so much since they usually have some support - I hope you don't fall victim to the Ted McGregor bike curse in Kona :0

Quote | Reply
Just like Mr.Bubbles, I have also had a saddle rail breakage problem. I also know a couple of other person to whom it happened. Always hollow titanium rails. This is a perfect example where a 35gr weight gain is ridiculous. In my case, it happened with an almost new koobi saddle. They replaced the saddle, did not seem surprised at all by my problem. After I insisted, they replaced both rails with standard cro-mo rails.

Riding on the saddle nose or not, 200pounds or 140, saddle rails should not fail. Hollow rails are a bad idea IMO, although it is unlikely that a failure will result in a fall or even a shortened ride.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Broke my Azoto a few years back...both rails forward of the seatpost head.
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois, no problem getting back to the office, but I had to ride the "tail" of the saddle since there was nothing supporting the nose. The interesting thing is that I actually had the saddle slammed all the way back, so in essence, the bending moment on the rails was as low as it could possibly get (vs saddle jacked all the way forward and then riding the nose).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, no problem getting back to the office, but I had to ride the "tail" of the saddle since there was nothing supporting the nose. The interesting thing is that I actually had the saddle slammed all the way back, so in essence, the bending moment on the rails was as low as it could possibly get (vs saddle jacked all the way forward and then riding the nose).

At the least, lightweight titanium rails should not be hollowed out where the seat clamps. I have no problems with weight saving, despite its limited advantage, as long as strength is not lost in the process. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather have the heavy, well padded, comfortable and reliable saddle than the 85 gr uncomfortable, unreliable j-string like saddle.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put the backpack on the seat clamp and sit on that! just don't get out of the "saddle". ;)
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never broken a saddle, even though I ride a hollow Ti rail standard SLR. I just don't ride on the nose of the saddle, and I am a very svelte 185 lbs. Not like Dev, the fattie.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what if this is a sign from God

he wants you not to sit on the bike for Kona

it is bad when you wee folk start having seat problems

Thom / dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to check your seat clamp, see if there is a burr or some kind of a sharp edge that is creating a stress riser. A couple of swipes with a fine file might be in order.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: YIKES...dual snapped saddle rails...better today than in 18 days!!!! [Mister Bubbles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bubbles, good point. I'll check it out. To some extent, aside from riding the nose of the saddle, there might be a case of "user error" here. I slammed the seat as far back as it will go and perhaps shoved it too far back to the point where the clamp may have been putting pressure where the rails bend upwards towards the nose (don't know for sure and now it is too late to know). For those wondering why I slam the saddle all the way back and then ride the nose, and not just move the saddle forward and ride the middle...well, I've tried since 1988 when I got my first aero bars and if I ride aero, then whether I am at 73 or 83, I end up on the nose. Why? Cause when I ride aero, I don't want a piece of saddle in front of my crotch...I want it all behind (or so my riding style suggests...)

Dev
Quote Reply