Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do Sport drinks, gels, etc. effect the enamel of your teeth?
Quote | Reply
An experienced marathoner told me a few days ago that he tries to take in sports fluids though a straw when possible because sports drinks are particularly bad at eating away the enamel of your teeth. When i mentioned this to someone else, also an athlete, they said they heard the same thing.

This is new to me. Is there reason to be concerned? obviously there is a lot of sugar in sports drinks and gels but is this anything a normal dental routine can't fix?

Quote | Reply
yep, do some searching on here, there was a big thread about that not too long ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sport drinks, gels, etc. effect the enamel of your teeth? [zimph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My teeth started to hurt by the time I got to the run at IM FL two years ago. A week after the race they still hurt whenever I ate anything sweet. But, I went to the dentist, she took xrays and poked around and found nothing wrong. After a few weeks my teeth didn't hurt anymore. I take infinit now but only because I can't stand the taste of gels.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sport drinks, gels, etc. effect the enamel of your teeth? [mtlRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked my dentist.. this was his answer:

Sugar Paste, and Sugar water Drying on your teeth.
=
Bad.

yea... it wears it out.... just brush after training.

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sport drinks, gels, etc. effect the enamel of your teeth? [mtlRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"sports fluids though a straw when possible"

At the start of a half marathon earlier this year, I saw a former co-worker who had a straw pinned to his chest. I asked him what the hell it was for and he said it was so he wouldn't spill water/gatorade at the water stations. Every time I splashed water down my front through the race, I laughed at him? Who knew he was preserving his enamel while also remaining clean?

Dr. Tommy has a recent post on Ironman Live about this topic: http://ironman.com/...ice-on-healthy-teeth

@Kid
Quote Reply