Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycleops Indoor Bike
Quote | Reply
Any opinions out there on the Cycleops indoor bike? The Pro 300PT with wattage is attractive....but $1800. But a Computrainer Pro model is a little over $1500. I do like the thought of not thrashing my road bike on a trainer all winter.

Other thoughts?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [cowtipper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the Pro300PT for about a year. So far I am quite pleased with its performance. It is completely adjustable so both my wife and I can use it; that made the price tag a little easier to take. The watts output seems accurate based on effort levels and power output from my SRM when on the road and lab testing with a Lode ergometer. Very stable, I can get out the saddle and hammer and the cycle doesn't move. The resistance adjustment is simple and works like a champ. Downloading the data is simple. I don't use their software so I really can't comment on its usability.

Overall, this was good purchase since moving from GA to OH where outside winter training is a bit more challenging.

I would prefer if it used standard road bars, rather than the bullorn type bars. Customer service is a bit dodgey, I needed a software upgrade and it took multiple calls to their service center until they finally sent me the correct drivers.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [ASU_GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. This is the best feedback I have seen to date and like the angle that my wife could use as well.

Thanks again.

-marshall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really tip cows? Is it fun? Poor Bossy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to take a look at inside ride rollers + powertap.

www.insideride.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to order one soon. I would like to know what other people think about this trainer.

I really do like the fact that the fly wheel is in the rear. I tend to sweat a lot, so having this set up the sweat shouldn't effect the brakes/pads on the fly wheel like other spin bikes I have used.

I saw that cycleops has an aero setup coming out in October for the bike. The pads look like they are made by profile designs. The pads are priced at $49.99

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Pro 300Pt from a fellow slowtwitcher in July. I can say that in 15 years of racing, it's been one of the best purchases I have made.

Having a family for the last 5 years put a serious dent my training and racing. Now, being able to jump on the trainer at a moments notice has been a huge benefit. On the road, i train with an SRM. I'm already a power junky and the 300PT has been great power wise. Never a drop out or any problem downloading data. Bad weather, early morning, middle of the night - whatever, I can get my ride in.

The form factor is really nice as well. It has a very small footprint. I'd say it takes up 60% as much room as a bike on a trainer. And there is no set up / take down nonsense.

I've enjoyed it so much that i do at least 3 of my weekly rides on it. In fact, I got up at 4:30 this morning just to put in 2 hours before I started a long day at work.

I was just trying to figure out a way to mount aerobars. Those profile flip ups look like just the thing.

If you lead a real life that is busy and full of other demands, I'd say the 300PT could be one of the best purchases you can make.

PS - GET the 300PT - POWER IS THE WAY

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [Idigapony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you really tip cows? Is it fun? Poor Bossy!

I'm actually involved in the more extreme version of the sport...........BULL TIPPING!!! :-)
Last edited by: TriJeffTri: Oct 3, 06 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fireface,

Thanks for your note. Your reasoning follows my same logic....convient, power, etc.

Really appreciate the time you took to respond.

-marshall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd pay a little more and get a VeloDyne. The CycleOps doesn't have ergometer mode. With the VeloDyne, you can also program elaborate interval workouts.

The Velodyne is also probably a lot more reliable than a CycleOps product.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [The Cricket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with the Velodyne or the Computrainer for that matter is you need to put a bike on it. The 300PT is a self contained unit. The other advantage to the 300PT is the fly wheel is solid. I don't have to worry my cat's or dog's (4 cats and 3 dogs) body parts getting in my rear wheel.

Computrainer

Velodyne

I have a computrainer and it is a pain to constantly put the bike in and take it out again. IMO Computrainer could improve their trainer stand to something more like Velodyne or at least add some type of quick release. The 300PT really looks nice compared to having a bike in a trainer stand. The other benefit to the 300PT is if you have a significant other or friend who also wants to train, it is real easy to transition between more than one person. You only have to adjust the seat settings.

Now if money is of no object you could buy the Computrainer Velotron ($7995.00). IMO though for this kind of money this setup should look a lot better. IMO it looks like it is from the 80's. I would have thought they could have a way nicer looking setup for 8K.

Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could always use a disc wheel with a CT or Velodyne. Still, I don't think any pets or children should be allowed in the room when any indoor training is taking place.

I'm buying the VeloDyne primarily for erg mode (and the big flywheel).

http://www.cyclingforums.com/...348&postcount=28

I've been told the SRM trainer is just a glorified exercise bike. It's basically the same as the 300PT (large flywheel, no bike needed) although it doesn't have the legendary CycleOps reliability.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [The Cricket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Velodyne reminds me of the Cateye CS-1000 cyclosimulator ($450), but I am sure it is much better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and they do make another stand for the computrainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I picked up the Cycleops 300 PT trainer this weekend. I got 10% off from a local store. It ended up costing around $1800. The sucker retails for $1899.

I rode the sucker this moring and it is very smooth. There are 4 places which you can adjust the bike, basically handle bar (up/down and foward/back) and the seat (up/down and foward/back). It has a break on it for stopping the fly wheel if you need to stop it really fast.

As far as sound goes, it makes about as much noise as say a fluid trainer, however as you go faster the noise doesn't really increase like a bike on a fluid trainer does. This is mostly becasuse the Cycleops has a solid wheel so there are no spokes catching air.

The bike looks just fantastic in the room. Much better than a bike on a trainer. It makes you want to ride it.

I think Cycleops could improve their computer though. It just seems a little cheap compared to the rest of the bike. I would really like to see them make an improved computer at some point. That said, the bike seems to be really well made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw one of these Cycleops indoor bikes and it looks awesome. Friends of mine just got one and I was very impressed.

How many folks here have one?

Herbert

Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Indoor Bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's also the one advertised in TriathleteMag:

http://www.daum-electronic.de/...odelle/pre-bk8i.html

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had one since mid September. Overall I like it.

The Good
-very stable
- easy to adjust and set up
- ability to use preferred pedals and saddle
- easy to replace parts
- seems durable

The Bad- mine must have been made on a late Friday afternoon
- chainring side crank pedal threads were stripped when I got it
- one of the nuts that holds the flywheel in place was stripped when I got it
- aerobar pads tilt "outward" because handlebars slope slightly outward- not a real comfortable aero pad position
- wish the "computer" tilted forward a bit more- when doing standing work it is difficult to see the computer- I am not sure how they could correct this without a redesign since it is cable from the rear that is blocking the computer from tilting forward more
- customer service is there, but doesn't really make you go "WOW!!"- they replaced the chainring side crank and the stripped nut, but I didn't get the impression they were very concerned that these had passed through quality control.

Quote Reply