Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Denizens of the gym [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this denizen mentioned yet.

The Mayor. This is actually what we call the guy too. He's 90 years old, goes to the gym daily at 5 am and mills about until 7 or so. He'll spend a bit on a spin bike, then hit the sauna and jacuzzi. How he earned his name is, he's been going to this same gym probably as long as it's been opened, 20+ years. He knows everyone, and if he hasn't met you, he'll hunt you down to ask your name. Every morning he has a new story, each time you cross paths with him, he'll tell you the same story. The only true downside, he's from a generation which doesn't seem to recognize full nude male and personal space boundaries.

I can only hope I still want to go to the gym when I'm 90, let alone feel like engaging with everyone while I'm there.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
The only true downside, he's from a generation which doesn't seem to recognize full nude male and personal space boundaries.

If you mention it, you gotta post it

Its a rule

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't think I fit in at this new place...

Clearly. Your posterior is no where near perfect, yet. Get to work on it.

Nonsense.

Despite what he may say about his buttocks looking sublime in man jeggings, JSA's rear looks like a bag of wet clothes compared to mine. Trust me, for some reason he keeps sending me pictures of it.

I'm one of the few guys at this gym who's leg day includes a) more then one leg exercise and b) hip thrusts, sled pushes, etc.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Nonsense.

Despite what he may say about his buttocks looking sublime in man jeggings, JSA's rear looks like a bag of wet clothes compared to mine. Trust me, for some reason he keeps sending me pictures of it.

I'm one of the few guys at this gym who's leg day includes a) more then one leg exercise and b) hip thrusts, sled pushes, etc.

So, have you figured out which sports bra looks best with your favorite pair of yoga pants?
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Some of the posts on here made me think about those yoga pants which are all contoured and shaped in all of the butt cleavage, camel toe parts. Some of them are truly fitted along the lines of 'look at me right here'.

"So, how do you get into those yoga pants?"
"For starters, you can buy me a drink later"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Nonsense.

So, have you figured out which sports bra looks best with your favorite pair of yoga pants?

It's tough to find a set that go with my beard. Also, fitting in to them is a little like trying to stuff a sausage back in it's casing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Nonsense.

It's tough to find a set that go with my beard. Also, fitting in to them is a little like trying to stuff a sausage back in it's casing.

Fair enough. Gyms usually prefer you to keep your sausage encased while on the premises anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Nonsense.

Fair enough. Gyms usually prefer you to keep your sausage encased while on the premises anyway.

Years ago at my local rec center I once saw a guy who looked like a hairy version of hulk Hogan burst in to the gym in a speedo, throw three plates on each side of the squat rack, and just start repping it out. It was hilarious. He was asked to leave before he could start his second set.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's tough to find a set that go with my beard.

Shouldn't talk about Mrs. Triguy that way

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone gone back? What have you seen, or NOT seen?

Ours was pretty empty the times I've been in

Temp taken at the door
Masks are mandatory at all times
Locker rooms are off-limits, taped off with CAUTION tape - nice touch hahahahahaha [bathrooms are open], so you have to come 'ready-to-play' and carry your stuff around with you, which isn't so bad, but I don't have enough pockets for my phone [NEED my music] wallet, car keys, and a Zip-Loc of Lysol wipes

Considering a fanny-pack, or maybe even wearing my bike jersey for the extra pockets - there's no one here, so who gives a fuck how dorky I look

ETA: Every other machine has a sign that says "This Equipment is Unavailable" to keep people from working out next to each other

This is where i got a little pissed: there were a bunch of bikes & treadmills that needed to be fixed or replaced - 6 months later, they're still broken. They had to close one of the locations permanently back in June, so they have extras they could re-allocate, but nope

Last edited by: RandMart: Sep 21, 20 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been back since June.

A few questions at the door. Wear a mask from the door to locker room.

Locker rooms are open but very empty. Only 2 of 6 showers are open.

Pool has registration for a lane. Depending on the time of day - either 1 or 2 people per lane. (2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon/weekends - I guess we are less contagious in the morning???)

I do like the pre-registration - it forces me to "not skip" as I'd feel bad taking a spot some-one else might want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Has anyone gone back? What have you seen, or NOT seen?

Ours was pretty empty the times I've been in

Temp taken at the door
Masks are mandatory at all times
Locker rooms are off-limits [bathrooms are open], so you have to come 'ready-to-play' and carry your stuff around with you, which isn't so bad, but I don't have enough pockets for my phone [NEED my music] wallet, car keys, and a Zip-Loc of Lysol wipes

Considering a fanny-pack, or maybe even wearing my bike jersey for the extra pockets - there's no one here, so who gives a fuck how dorky I look

I've been back at the gym since it opened in August, about the same as above. Fortunately, they have little kiosk boxes to put your stuff in, so lack of locker rooms is no big deal. I work out at a Universality's gym so it was a bit ridiculous at first because of limiting numbers. Long lines to get in, then a reservation system, now they've just upped the numbers somewhat and ditched the reservations. Pretty much all college students even at 6am, not sure where all the other community folk have gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Pool has registration for a lane. Depending on the time of day - either 1 or 2 people per lane. (2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon/weekends - I guess we are less contagious in the morning???)

I do like the pre-registration - it forces me to "not skip" as I'd feel bad taking a spot some-one else might want.

Our pool is open - technically - but with no locker room to change in [nor showers] what's the point?

I could handle walking IN wearing just my swimwear, but no way am I walking OUT without changing and still damp

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could handle walking IN wearing just my swimwear, but no way am I walking OUT without changing and still damp
---
Just learn to master the 'deck change' which can happen on deck or near your car, weather dependent

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd fuck that up back when I was surfing, so it still gives me anxiety

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure when my local gym re-opened, I went back in early August when I and the PT thought my shoulder could handle swimming again. For lap swimming you have to make a reservation and can only stay for 45 minutes. First half of August it as temp checks at the door, then the state relaxed the rules. Now no temp checks and locker rooms are open, though I've only ever seen swimmers and lazy river walkers use it.

Masks are mandatory except when you're in the water, I guess they don't want any self-waterboarding going on.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Been back since June.

A few questions at the door. Wear a mask from the door to locker room.

Locker rooms are open but very empty. Only 2 of 6 showers are open.

I've been back one time since March. I'm still paying the dues. Are you guys who aren't going still paying your dues or are you on hold? I keep paying because I like the gym and they have an affordable daycare for when you work out which is awesome. I just got an email saying the day care is closed indefinitely though.

The gym was dead when I went but it was a weekday around lunch. Seemed safe, but I'm working out at home now. It just seems like an unnecessary risk to go to the gym if I don't NEED to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm still paying the dues"

I pay mine yearly and my year was due next month. they extended it 3 months. I didn't ask nor was I planning to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We shut down on March 16th and only reopened - with restrictions I noted above - September 1st

We were granted until 9/15 to continue to keep our memberships on hold, otherwise, we would be only billed for that half month in March

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dues are $32/year, so I'm still paying. Dont want to give them an excuse to terminate my membership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our dues period got pushed for however long the gym was actually closed. I have no idea how long that was as I recovering from shoulder surgery so I would not have gone anyway.

I should add my local gym is a county facility, so govt run, which probably helped with the pushing of dues issue.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ours reopened a few months ago (Switzerland). No real significant changes. Disinfectant when you come in and a few around. They had the every other bike/treadmill blocked off, but they have since put clear, plastic barriers between them. More focus on cleaning the equipment between uses, so that's nice. Not as much leftover sweat anymore. Locker rooms are open, saunas are open, pool is open (but it's a relaxation/water aerobic pool, no lengths).

Biggest change has been who goes. Pre-covid, probably a 30/50/20 split between 20-somethings/30-50 year-olds/over 50s. Now, it seems like it's about 45/10/45. So weird. So many old people in the gym (well, likely the same amount, just fewer of everyone else).
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a jorts sighting yesterday

That's all I care to say about it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updates:
Gym is now open at our regular hours [til 10PM weeknights, 7PM Sat, 6PM Sun]
Locker rooms still closed and taped off with yellow CAUTION tape
One person per lane in the pool, and there's a sign-up sheet
Spin bikes have been moved into the large Group Fitness room, to separate them more than in the Spin Room [that's gonna destroy the floor, but who am I to say anything]
Naturally, Group Fitness classes [cardio, yoga, kickboxing, etc.] are still cancelled
There is one scanner to check in, and another to check OUT, so the desk person can keep track of exactly how many people are in the gym at any one time

When I asked the desk dude about it, as we were leaving around 9PM, there were 11 people; capacity is 180 - which is 25% of Fire Code capacity [=720]; based on square footage, i guess?

Quote Reply

Prev Next