Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WH security clearances [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Accountable in this sense referred to criminal illegality. Where other posters have said that what she did was illegal or if you did what she did you would be in jail.

But that’s not the case. If 6 years of gop controlled congress plus a gop appointed head of the fbi came to that conclusion or didn’t have enough to bring charges, that’s what I am going to go with.

If others are saying otherwise that’s their own feelings on the matter, and they should also find the gop incompetent for not being able to bring enough eveidence to make a clear case against a clear criminal after 6 plus years of investigations.
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Doesn’t that mean that only 3 of the emails were marked with classified headers. And those three were marked incorrectly?

To me this seems like she didn’t know there was classified info in the emails. So she thought it was ok to share unclassified info.

This goes back to my only point. It is much worse to purposefully give access to someone who know shouldn’t have it vs. unknowingly give access. If the fbi has found that Clinton knowingly gave access she would have been criminally liable.

The notion that the classified information wasn't marked is a red herring that is thrown out all the time. It simply doesn't matter. When you sign an SF-312 NDA to gain access to classified, it very specifically states that you are responsible for protecting both marked and unmarked classified information. And, assuming that Hillary is reasonably intelligent, I would state that there is simply no way that she didn't know that classified information was in those emails. Especially since at least one of the emails was about a special access program (SAP). I've seen classified "spillage" a couple of times in my career, and in both instances it was caught almost instantaneously. Given the fact that Hillary isn't an idiot, the notion that she simply didn't know it was classified is laughable.

Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Agreed. Accountable in this sense referred to criminal illegality. Where other posters have said that what she did was illegal or if you did what she did you would be in jail.

But that’s not the case. If 6 years of gop controlled congress plus a gop appointed head of the fbi came to that conclusion or didn’t have enough to bring charges, that’s what I am going to go with.

If others are saying otherwise that’s their own feelings on the matter, and they should also find the gop incompetent for not being able to bring enough eveidence to make a clear case against a clear criminal after 6 plus years of investigations.

First, I have no idea why you are bringing up the fact that the GOP controlled Congress in this matter. Are you aware of some special process in which Congress can force the DOJ to bring charges against somebody? What does that have to do with anything?

There is also reporting lately that the DOJ from the get-go set an impossibly high standard to indict Hillary.

Lastly, there is this: https://thehill.com/...face-charges-but-was

Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
I appreciate your reluctance to participate in matters of truth and fact conjecture with open source reporting. I am not so reluctant, and can easily jump to the conclusion that this SCI or no SCI access is the critical feature here. Maybe Kushner refused to take a polygraph? maybe he failed the polygraph? Maybe he took and passed the polygraph and the agencies still refused to certify him? How hampered is he not having SCI material knowledge when he sits down with heads of state in negotiations on behalf of our government?

There are multiple steps in the process. The first is to obtain clearance (in this case TS). After that, you have to be determined to be SCI eligible. That's a formal designation, but all it says is that you're eligible for the next step. It doesn't grant you clearance for any specific information. After that you have to be "read into" whatever SCI information categories you are expected to need access to for your job. When you're done with that job, you get "read out" of those categories of information, and don't have access again.

Polygraphs occur at various points for various reasons, and may or may not be the sticking point for access to information, depending on what you need access to and what job you're going to.

My read of the situation is that Kushner probably was never granted SCI eligibility, so he wouldn't have needed to take a polygraph specifically for access to SCI info. He might have been required to take a polygraph for other reasons such as counter-intelligence or counter-terrorism reasons; I don't know.

I also can't speak to what information he would absolutely need to have access to in order to accomplish the goals of his talks. It's entirely possible that he might be able to have those talks without access to SCI information. It's not as if he would likely be directly discussing SCI information with the foreign delegations.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
But, in the end here, the president has the authority to do what is alleged that he did.

Again, because you seem to keep ignoring this part, the issue is not really about what the President has the authority to do. The issue is what these allegations say about his judgment and character.

Of course, nothing might be true. It's in the realm of possibility that all of it is made up. However, for the sake of discussion, let's assume it's all true.

The President appointed his unqualified daughter and son-in-law to federal positions. He granted them access to information and discussions they weren't cleared for. When security professionals recommended that his son-in-law's not receive clearance, he told them to give it anyway. He subsequently lied about pushing the clearance through. All of this, paired against the multitude of accusations that he has, at best, conflicts of interest between his duties as POTUS and his and his family's business relationships in foreign countries.

It raises entirely appropriate questions about the judgment exercised and the reasoning for these actions.

Continuing along this line of truth assumption: In previous posts I presumed that Kushner, in order to perform effectively as the president's envoy in pursuit of middle east affairs and peace between Israel and Palestinians, would need to be read in with certain SCI material at the TS level. Some of the reporting out there is he does not in fact have that SCI access, but rather just only a permanent TS clearance. I know friends who are required routinely to pass polygraph tests to obtain and maintain SCI access. As I am no longer current and have forgotten so much I ask you to clarify polygraph requirements wrt SCI.

I appreciate your reluctance to participate in matters of truth and fact conjecture with open source reporting. I am not so reluctant, and can easily jump to the conclusion that this SCI or no SCI access is the critical feature here. Maybe Kushner refused to take a polygraph? maybe he failed the polygraph? Maybe he took and passed the polygraph and the agencies still refused to certify him? How hampered is he not having SCI material knowledge when he sits down with heads of state in negotiations on behalf of our government?

This story is so salacious it won't go away. The sidebar whataboutism in this thread with the Clinton server and mishandling classified material is indicative. The fact that the ultimate classification authority is the President and he is under investigation and is maybe a compromised national security risk is in play. Can we jump to suspect that state secrets are being purposely withheld from both Kushner and the president?

I have often railed against the system in place that allows for over classification and over restriction to access and systemic reluctance to declassify in a timely manner. But this current mess does give pause and re-emphasizes that long standing security protocols are essential to our nations security.

There is no requirement to take a polygraph to get access to SCI.

Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
If Clinton didn’t follow the law you better believe she would have been held accountable.

There's really zero question on this. Sec Clinton did not follow the law.

She wasn't held legally accountable because Mr. Comey indicated that the case didn't rise to the typical level of prosecution. That's not the same as saying she followed the law. She did not.

All the laws require an intent to mishandle classified material. So if you have any evidence that she intended to mishandle classified material, then she did not break the law. Sure her clearance could be revoked, but I don't see how she broke the law.

That's simply not true. The law doesn't allow you to mishandle classified information accidentally.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Polygraphs occur at various points for various reasons, and may or may not be the sticking point for access to information, depending on what you need access to and what job you're going to.

My read of the situation is that Kushner probably was never granted SCI eligibility....

I also can't speak to what information he would absolutely need to have access to in order to accomplish the goals of his talks. It's entirely possible that he might be able to have those talks without access to SCI information. It's not as if he would likely be directly discussing SCI information with the foreign delegations.

Thanks for the edification. Maybe I have been reading too many spy novels, but I was thinking that a SCI file "read in" might help with any source and method sensitive intel we would have on the adversary or ally sitting across the table. Also, to effectively conduct an effective after action intel-debrief of any meeting, would almost by definition require discussion on said info in order to add to the file and analyze further. I just find it hard to think we are not disadvantaging ourselves there if we were to have Jared talk to MBS without him having full understanding of all material intel we have on MBS, unless it is that we do not trust him. Therein the rub. His father-in-law did burn some Israeli sensitive intel with the Russian foreign minister early on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
If Clinton didn’t follow the law you better believe she would have been held accountable.

She wasn't held legally accountable because Mr. Comey indicated that the case didn't rise to the typical level of prosecution. That's not the same as saying she followed the law. She did not.

All the laws require an intent to mishandle classified material. So if you have any evidence that she intended to mishandle classified material, then she did not break the law. Sure her clearance could be revoked, but I don't see how she broke the law.

That's simply not true. The law doesn't allow you to mishandle classified information accidentally.

No, it is true.

Now, you may argue that she should instead be charged with 18 USC section 793 (f), since that says only gross negligence, but it is part of the espionage act and to charged with it requires intent.

Seriously, find a case where someone was charged in civilian courts for mishandling classified information through negligence.
18 U.S. Code § 1924
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

Now, you may argue that she should instead be charged with 18 USC section 793 (f), since that says only gross negligence, but it is part of the espionage act and to charged with it requires intent.

Seriously, find a case where someone was charged in civilian courts for mishandling classified information through negligence.
18 U.S. Code § 1924

This is from your first link.

(a)
Whoever, being an officer, employee, contractor, or consultant of the United States, and, by virtue of his office, employment, position, or contract, becomes possessed of documents or materials containing classified information of the United States, knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.

That is pretty clear. She set up a private email server and knowingly transmitted classified material over it. Not sure how that isn't intent.
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congressional oversight is a huge power to wield. You can run fact finding missions if you want. If the dems controlled both houses (or even one) then this oversight may never of occurred.

So you think dems would have run 8 investigations into Benghazi? Do you think dems would have forced Hillary to testify? It shows that the gop ran their oversight to the full extend of their powers and uncovered whatever evidence they could. They turned this evidence over to a republican led fbi (after doj recusal I think).
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

(a)
Whoever, being an officer, employee, contractor, or consultant of the United States, and, by virtue of his office, employment, position, or contract, becomes possessed of documents or materials containing classified information of the United States, knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.

That is pretty clear. She set up a private email server and knowingly transmitted classified material over it. Not sure how that isn't intent.

You should read that again. She did not knowingly send classified over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
trimick wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

(a)

You should read that again. She did not knowingly send classified over it.

If she didn't knowingly send classified material over it then she is a moron. Is that your argument? She is too stupid to know what is classified and what isn't? She is lots of things but stupid isn't one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

The espionage act isn't the only law pertaining to handling of classified material, and I didn't say anything about whether someone should be prosecuted. I said that Sec Clinton DID NOT FOLLOW THE LAW. There's really no question about that statement.

The law requires people with access to classified information to protect that information. It requires them to ensure classified information is not transmitted to unauthorized personnel. It requires them to immediately report the compromise or disclosure of classified information once discovered.

E.O. 13526 states that:

(d) Classified information may not be removed from official premises without proper authorization.

(e) Persons authorized to disseminate classified information outside the executive branch shall ensure the protection of the information in a manner equivalent to that provided within the executive branch.

(b) Officers and employees of the United States Government, and its contractors, licensees, certificate holders, and grantees shall be subject to appropriate sanctions if they knowingly, willfully, or negligently: (1) disclose to unauthorized persons information properly classified under this order or predecessor orders;

There's plenty of room to argue about whether she should have been prosecuted. However, there is zero room to argue about the fact that she did not follow the law.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

The espionage act isn't the only law pertaining to handling of classified material, and I didn't say anything about whether someone should be prosecuted. I said that Sec Clinton DID NOT FOLLOW THE LAW. There's really no question about that statement.

The law requires people with access to classified information to protect that information. It requires them to ensure classified information is not transmitted to unauthorized personnel. It requires them to immediately report the compromise or disclosure of classified information once discovered.

E.O. 13526 states that:

(d) Classified information may not be removed from official premises without proper authorization.

(e) Persons authorized to disseminate classified information outside the executive branch shall ensure the protection of the information in a manner equivalent to that provided within the executive branch.

(b) Officers and employees of the United States Government, and its contractors, licensees, certificate holders, and grantees shall be subject to appropriate sanctions if they knowingly, willfully, or negligently: (1) disclose to unauthorized persons information properly classified under this order or predecessor orders;

There's plenty of room to argue about whether she should have been prosecuted. However, there is zero room to argue about the fact that she did not follow the law.

EO are laws though, so she didn't break a law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

E.O. 13526 states that:

Really? That's what you plan to hang your hat on?

E.O.s have the force of law. And E.O. 13526 isn't the only "law" that governs the safeguarding of classified material and information.

32 CFR Part 2001

§ 2001.41 Responsibilities of holders.
Authorized persons who have access to classified information are responsible for:
(a) Protecting it from persons without authorized access to that information, to include securing it in approved equipment or facilities whenever it is not under the direct control of an authorized person;
(b) Meeting safeguarding requirements prescribed by the agency head; and
(c) Ensuring that classified information is not communicated over unsecured voice or data circuits, in public conveyances or places, or in any other manner that permits interception by unauthorized persons.

§ 2001.48 Loss, possible compromise or unauthorized disclosure.
(a)General. Any person who has knowledge that classified information has been or may have been lost, possibly compromised or disclosed to an unauthorized person(s) shall immediately report the circumstances to an official designated for this purpose.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

E.O. 13526 states that:

E.O.s have the force of law. And E.O. 13526 isn't the only "law" that governs the safeguarding of classified material and information.

32 CFR Part 2001

Authorized persons who have access to classified information are responsible for:
(a) Protecting it from persons without authorized access to that information, to include securing it in approved equipment or facilities whenever it is not under the direct control of an authorized person;
(c) Ensuring that classified information is not communicated over unsecured voice or data circuits, in public conveyances or places, or in any other manner that permits interception by unauthorized persons.

(a)General. Any person who has knowledge that classified information has been or may have been lost, possibly compromised or disclosed to an unauthorized person(s) shall immediately report the circumstances to an official designated for this purpose.

So you are hanging your hat on a "law", even then it is not clear that she violated that EO. Neglicence has a specific legal meaning and it is not clear that Clinton met that standard. Mostly, because there should have been no classified emails at all, classified information is sent on a totally different system, so she when she set up the email server, she never expected classified information to be on it, so it was not negligent. Also, a EO cannot be criminal, unless there is a statute.

Ok, she may have violated 32 CFR Part 2001.41, so that is a law. But it is not criminal law. It is part code of federal regulations and cannot create crimes beyone what congress has already created by statute. So yes, Clinton may have violate the law, but she did not violate any criminal law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So yes, Clinton may have violate the law...

Done. Full stop.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
So yes, Clinton may have violate the law, but she did not violate any criminal law.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
So yes, Clinton may have violate the law, but she did not violate any criminal law.

The mental gymnastics that both sides do to ensure that their side is clean is unreal. Reps and Dems are destroying this country with this tribal mentality.
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
chaparral wrote:
chriskal wrote:
More of the best people.

Seriously, who are the 30 people granted clearances after being denied? Obviously Kushner and Gorka, I mean those people should obviously be kept far away from anything sensitive.

I’m just surprised that number isn’t higher. Top of my head though I’d be shocked if Bannon or the mooch would legitimate qualify.
-
From the but obama files, you may remember there was a problem with one of his closest advisors. Exposed by a wikileaks Podesta email: (bold added by me)
------------------------------------------------------
From:cbutts.obama08@gmail.com To: john.podesta@gmail.com, clu@barackobama.com Date: 2008-10-29 19:33 Subject: Re: security clearance issue
Chris can share the details with you tomorrow, but we agree that it would not be worth pushing for Benjamin Rhodes to receive interim status. We can communicate with Susan and Sarah generally that Benjamin wasn't given interim status, and either Chris or I can communicate directly with Benjamin. For your information, out of the approximately 187 people who we have moved through the process Benjamin was the only person declined interim status. The young lawyer Kate Shaw who is coordinating the process for us has done a great job. On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Cassandra Butts

<cbutts.obama08@gmail.com>wrote: > John, > > The FBI has indicated that they are inclined to decline interim security > clearance for Benjamin Rhodes who is OFA senior speechwriter and national > security policy person. They have not shared an explanation as to why. If > his interim status is denied, the FBI will still undertake a full-clearance > process review of his application post-election and make a final > determination. > > Susan and Sarah Sewall have expressed an interest in keeping Benjamin > involved in the process, but I have not followed up with them since > receiving this information today. > > In terms of our options, we could ask the FBI for an explanation on the > denial and make a determination if it is worth pushing to obtain an interim > status, or we can wait for the full review post-election. > > Let me know your thoughts on this. > > Best, > Cassandra > >
-----------
https://wikileaks.org/...emails/emailid/11883
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

No, it is true.

18 U.S. Code § 1924

E.O. 13526 states that:

32 CFR Part 2001

So you are hanging your hat on a "law", even then it is not clear that she violated that EO. Neglicence has a specific legal meaning and it is not clear that Clinton met that standard. Mostly, because there should have been no classified emails at all, classified information is sent on a totally different system, so she when she set up the email server, she never expected classified information to be on it, so it was not negligent. Also, a EO cannot be criminal, unless there is a statute.

Ok, she may have violated 32 CFR Part 2001.41, so that is a law. But it is not criminal law. It is part code of federal regulations and cannot create crimes beyone what congress has already created by statute. So yes, Clinton may have violate the law, but she did not violate any criminal law.

That does not matter. Once she became aware that classified information was being introduced into that unclassified system, she have reported it immediately. The fact that she let it continue is negligent, unless you want to argue that Hillary is so stupid she wasn't aware (nor anyone else reading those emails) that classified information was being discussed. And, as has been been pointed out many times, it absolutely does NOT matter whether or not the information was marked as classified.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
That does not matter. Once she became aware that classified information was being introduced into that unclassified system, she have reported it immediately. The fact that she let it continue is negligent, unless you want to argue that Hillary is so stupid she wasn't aware (nor anyone else reading those emails) that classified information was being discussed. And, as has been been pointed out many times, it absolutely does NOT matter whether or not the information was marked as classified.

She was simultaneously the most qualified presidential candidate ever and too stupid to know she was reading classified information. As I said before the mental gymnastics in politics is crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
spot wrote:

She was simultaneously the most qualified presidential candidate ever and too stupid to know she was reading classified information. As I said before the mental gymnastics in politics is crazy.

She is an interesting case. She knew she was going to run for president. Any rational person would be handling the 8 years of Obama ridiculously carefully. You would make sure everything was in the clear. I assume it is arrogance that got her in trouble with things like her email and the foundation because I think she actually is a very intelligent person.

And I never really cared whether what she was doing with her email was technically legal or not. There was no benevolent reason to do it the way she did. I'm pretty certain she wasn't trying to play fast and loose with classified information. I think it was more about intentionally blurring the lines between her private dealings and her official government actions. Keeping those separate seems like such a quaint idea now.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: WH security clearances [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
trimick wrote:
spot wrote:

She is an interesting case. She knew she was going to run for president. Any rational person would be handling the 8 years of Obama ridiculously carefully. You would make sure everything was in the clear. I assume it is arrogance that got her in trouble with things like her email and the foundation because I think she actually is a very intelligent person.

And I never really cared whether what she was doing with her email was technically legal or not. There was no benevolent reason to do it the way she did. I'm pretty certain she wasn't trying to play fast and loose with classified information. I think it was more about intentionally blurring the lines between her private dealings and her official government actions. Keeping those separate seems like such a quaint idea now.

Yes, the argument over whether or not it was legal or not misses the question as to why she did it in the first place. It’s entirely possible that she did to avoid a FOIA request. It’s also possible that she wanted complete control over what anyone could glean from her emails and her actions as SecState vis a vis the Clinton Foundation.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
j p o wrote:
trimick wrote:
spot wrote:

Yes, the argument over whether or not it was legal or not misses the question as to why she did it in the first place. It’s entirely possible that she did to avoid a FOIA request. It’s also possible that she wanted complete control over what anyone could glean from her emails and her actions as SecState vis a vis the Clinton Foundation.

It's also entirely possible she just felt entitled to do whatever she wanted and decided she wanted to do what was most convenient for her, and paid little or not consideration to whether it was within the rules.

Slowguy

Quote Reply

Prev Next