Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. My comments about Bob Rae being not so bad relate to him being in office at a time when he could not run much of a deficit spending program. My understanding is his finance minister went to New York was told they wouldn't lend him the money.

Doug has been WRONGLY (no surprises), using the Ontario NDP government of the early 1990's as an example. Doug has gone on and on about all the lost jobs during that time. That the government cut jobs and services. He even went so far in the last debate to say the NDP CAUSED the recession in the 1990's! (Good grief!).

It shows ounce again, Doug's ignorance true or willful, of actual events from that time and how things work. The NDP did not CAUSE the recession - It impacted all of the developed countries in the west. Private companies laid off many people, because that's what private companies do, when times are tough. It's what Doug would do at Deco Labels! The government had to let people go because, again times were tight/tough, and as someone else pointed out, credit, even for governments of the time was hard to get! This was also the first wave of manufacturing outsourcing to places like China - while the western economy was in recession, China's economy of the the time was booming. Many North American and European manufacturers were discovering for the first time that they could have their goods made in China for a fraction of the price of NA and European made goods!!

My Father was a senior offcial in the Ministry of Education working at Queens Park at the time. He tells me that, some of the best and brightest Education people he had ever worked with came in with the NDP Government in the 1990's, but because of the clamp-down on spending, and programs, they never got to implement many of the progressive programs they had in mind. He said it was kind of unfortunate. Then of course, a few years later The Mike Harris PC's came into power, and my Father said it was like they burnt the Education Ministry house to the ground! Large Ministries and programs like Education are like large ships, they take forever to turn around, and after all the Harris cuts, my Father said it probably took, 10 -15 years after Mike Harris to get the Education system back to where it was. That's why you see say, dips in standardized test scores, not in the years after they make the cuts, but 10 - 15 years down the road, often when another political party is in power, and/or the economic times are completely different.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say the BC liberals were too far right leaning. To be honest, I think, ideology wise, they were about as close to an ideal government as possible. Now, they ended up being horribly corrupt, as all governments become if left in power too long, but that's another story.

Our brand of left wing is REALLY left wing though. We don't really have a true conservative party or hard right group. It's greens and NDP out in La La Land, and the liberals at centre-right.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that you want to demonise Mike Harris. Wouldn't you agree, despite what he did, that he was the reaction and not the cause?
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scobig wrote:
I find it interesting that you want to demonise Mike Harris. Wouldn't you agree, despite what he did, that he was the reaction and not the cause?

Mike "slash and burn" was a horrible leader. Most people old enough would agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
50+ wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Fleck wrote:

That's if Doug even makes it that far. Apparently, he's not polling well in his own riding! It's taken a while, but finally the people of North Etobicoke, seems to be realizing that the Ford family, politically is a bit of a farce!

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. I expect Ford to win his riding.

Watching Ontario politics right now is like seeing a train wreck in slow motion.

You guys are completely fucked either way.

As someone living through our current ndp disaster, I feel for you.

Is it worse than the SoCreds in the 80's ?

I was 6 years old at the end of the eighties and not following politics too closely, so, I couldn't tell you.

You've got learn how to use that google function to look things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hard to say.

We would have a cross-town subway line in Toronto running along Eglinton now if not for Mike Harris.

The cuts he made to the education system, as I mentioned, negatively impacted a whole generation of kids, and you don't see that in real terms for 10 - 15 years down the road. The "corrections" for that only coming during the McGuinty/Wynne time period.

The almost forced amalgamation of the city of Toronto and the downloading of some key expenditures onto the new amalgamated city took years to sort out.

In The Ministry of Education where my father worked through the Bill Davis and Bob Rae years, mid level and senior people, where almost always former teachers ( as my Father was) - thus they had practical experience of being in the classroom and working with kids. Mike Harris ushered in the era, of appointing anyone to senior level positions in Ministries. They may have had the management "qualifications", but they had NO experience of work in that area. It was not their area of expertise. My Father, has said the Ministry of Education has really never been the same in Ontario!

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
50+ wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Fleck wrote:

That's if Doug even makes it that far. Apparently, he's not polling well in his own riding! It's taken a while, but finally the people of North Etobicoke, seems to be realizing that the Ford family, politically is a bit of a farce!

Watching Ontario politics right now is like seeing a train wreck in slow motion.

I was 6 years old at the end of the eighties and not following politics too closely, so, I couldn't tell you.

It's one thing to read about it, another to live it and have a decent pulse of the situation.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
50+ wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Fleck wrote:

It's one thing to read about it, another to live it and have a decent pulse of the situation.

Just ask your parents. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm old enough. My wife is old enough. My wife's family is old enough. We do not agree. If anything, we would have liked him to have gone a lot further.
Last edited by: scobig: May 31, 18 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting experience of your father. My Mum is a teacher, my aunts are both teachers and my brother is a teacher, so I can sympathise to a certain extent. Plus, there is nothing worse than watching as mandarins with no practical experience assume senior positions through nepotism, something I am all too familiar with in the financial services industry! The flip side of course is that the public sector was, and has become again, horribly bloated, beholden to trade unions, and badly mismanaged. "Close enough for Government work" was the old saying and it rings true today. I think we can all agree that balance is the key, something I fear will not happen if the NDP gets a majority (or PC for that matter). I recall my wife's aunt being a long-term welfare recipient. Mike Harris cut it and she is grateful for him for doing so, saying that had he not done it she would have had no incentive to get off her ass and set up the successful business she has today. Of course I am sure there are stories to the contrary too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall my wife's aunt being a long-term welfare recipient. Mike Harris cut it and she is grateful for him for doing so, saying that had he not done it she would have had no incentive to get off her ass and set up the successful business she has today. Of course I am sure there are stories to the contrary too.

I guess it depends on if you believe the stick or the carrot will be effective in helping people get ahead?

The motivation of REALLY having to do something to make a living worked for your wife's aunt, for many others, who perhaps lack her motivation drive and entrepreneurship, that strategy would be disastrous.

My brother has worked in HR for several well known mid sized retailers in Canada. He says it's remarkable that a majority of entry level workers, simply don't believe in the BIG-3 of Employment - Show Up, Show Up on Time, Be Enthusiastic. That's really all an Employer is asking that you do. No easy answers here.

I still think Doug Ford is being grossly misleading (lying?) with what he's talking about - even if you add up all what he's promised, and assuming he does find $6billion in "efficiencies", (which he absolutely will not find) it's still a worse fiscal position than the Liberals and the NDP - which is rich because it's Doug who's saying the two other parties are the ones spending ridiculous amounts of money!!

Don Drummond, former Chief Economist with TD Bank and who has done several studies on the economics and fiscal situation in Ontario says that all three parties - NDP, Liberals and PC are out-to-lunch economically and being fiscally reckless! But Doug will no doubt dismiss Drummond, as being one of those Toronto "elites" who has no idea what he's talking about!!

Last edited by: Fleck: May 31, 18 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ford is lying to the same extent as Crooked Kathleen and Comrade Horwarth. They are all as bad as one another on that front.

I entirely agree that all three parties are "out-to-lunch economically". However, I would not cite Don Drummond as the best source for this. First, he was never the CEO. He was the Chief Economist. Ed Clark was the CEO, and as evidenced by his advice on how the province should open up the alcohol industry, such executives almost always have an agenda of their own. Trust me on this. I have advised them.

And for the record it was not my aunt. It was my wife's aunt - a rather important distinction for my family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My apologies for the errors. Corrections made. Thanks for pointing them out.

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't normally follow Canadian politics but liked this:

Story here:
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/superman-nemesis-general-zod-running-for-office-in-canada
Quote:
A parody twitter account for Zod’s campaign has also been launched, and it states that "General Zod is dedicated to the subjugation of the people of Ontario. He is a ruthless dictator. In short, a better choice than Doug Ford."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ford is lying to the same extent as Crooked Kathleen and Comrade Horwarth. They are all as bad as one another on that front.

FWIW - The Globe & Mail has called Doug Ford's "plan" for Ontario a "farce" - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...tter_impression=true

They have pretty much trashed Ford from start-to-finish!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that I disagree with the spirit, but it's a rather cringeworthy article, and mainly because it shows David Walmsley's bias. I am assuming it was written by him. The author didn't have the courage to put his name on the article. Maybe it was due to the number of typographical errors! You've just got to love "editorials" during election campaigns, especially those that come out three days before voters go to the polls.

Tim Kiladze does a better job of things in my opinion, by attempting to compare the promises of Howarth and Ford: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...arp-contrast-pricey/. However, even he still relies heavily on Don Drummond, taking his word for gospel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim Kiladze does a better job of things in my opinion, by attempting to compare the promises of Howarth and Ford: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...arp-contrast-pricey/. However, even he still relies heavily on Don Drummond, taking his word for gospel.

The BIG difference here is we KNOW that Horwath and the NDP are to the left, and it's in their DNA, that they feel, they need to spend more, fund more programs, AND are upfront about the fact that they will run a deficit and will be at least to start adding to the debt. We KNOW that - historally that's the way they operate, and it's all detailed in their platform.

With Doug Ford we have a guy who rants and raves about debts and deficits, who rambles on and on about "reckless spending", how the debt is killing us, . . but then when he actually talks about what he'll do with skant details - when you add up all Doug's spending promises and "platform", they are more than the NDP and the Liberals, and he still seems to think he can balance the budget, and do all of this by finding $6billion to $8billion in "efficiencies" (which is total BS!).

So neither option is a good one if you are anti-debt/deficit and fiscally conservative, but at least with Horwath and the NDP, it's all laid out there, there are no big surprises, but Doug's just spit-balling and making stuff up as he goes along like, "buck-a-beer" (Good grief)! It's insulting actually!

It's like buying a house, site unseen, that needs major renos, no blue-prints, no plans, with no inspection. Who would do that?

*Note the above is not a patent endorsement of the NDP, just stating facts!

Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 4, 18 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It's like buying a house, site unseen, that needs major renos, no blue-prints, no plans, with no inspection. Who would do that?

That's a good analogy. It's why a long time ago in this thread I suggested it would be unwise for Ford to make any promises until after he got his feet under the desk and saw the state of the finances. How can Ford or Horwarth be expected to come up with a detailed plan for renovation if they've never been allowed to inspect the house?

When the Labour Government in the UK was finally ousted in 2010 they left behind a note for the Treasury that stated "Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money. Warm regards - and good luck!" Unfortunately, Charles Sousa's most recent budget heads very much in the same direction, and I would fully expect whomever becomes Premier to break the promises they have made during the campaign as a consequence.

So it really comes down to who you trust the most. Ford is boorish and overbearing. His "platform" was rushed out the door due to pressure in the polls and does not add up. But, to use your parlance, fiscal conservatism is in his DNA. Moreover, I simply do not trust Horwath to do anything other than feather the nest of her union cronies, by hiking personal and corporate income taxes, and far higher than she is promising. Remember - back to work legislation is "very much against our values" and she's already had a $1.4 billion dollar rounding error!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am told the teachers have been told via their unions to vote NDP. I am hoping as you say if Ford gets his feet under the desk he will get a good finance minister and take some advice. I am sure he will keep blustering though.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it really comes down to who you trust the most. Ford is boorish and overbearing. His "platform" was rushed out the door due to pressure in the polls and does not add up. But, to use your parlance, fiscal conservatism is in his DNA. Moreover, I simply do not trust Horwath to do anything other than feather the nest of her union cronies, by hiking personal and corporate income taxes, and far higher than she is promising. Remember - back to work legislation is "very much against our values" and she's already had a $1.4 billion dollar rounding error!

Well said!

Yes - in ANY political activity and action that Doug took, when he was a City of Toronto Councillor, it was almost ALWAYS about cuts - little cuts here and there. Not funding programs & various other programs (Doug would ALWAY vote in opposition to these, strangely even when the would directly or indirectly punish his constituents!!). Taking small amounts of money out of others. So yes, that IS in his DNA. I don't suspect a political leopard to change his spots. But all of that really added up to not much real savings. There were some serious service cuts, and there were job cuts. There were also strangely despite Doug and Rob Ford's rhetoric other wise, tax increases (to pay for their Scarborough subway fantasy - that still may never happen!!)

Yes - so when the Ford cuts (Jobs & services) come, Doug will rightly be called a liar - because he said no cuts. The real test of character will come when he admits that, and takes full responsibility for it. (That's what REAL leaders do!) Something I've never, ever seen Doug do except ounce! The ONLY time I've seen him do that, and rebut something was when he was legally forced to do it after slandering and defaming the Chief of Police! When I watched him make that public apology on TV, I thought he was going to have a brain aneurysm! Point being it's almost impossible, unless by brute force to get a frank and honest answer out of Doug Ford!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BREAKING - https://www.thestar.com/...hem-of-millions.html

I knew there had to be a bombshell lurking in a closet somewhere.

Yes these are allegations. Two things:

1) Why is it that the whole of the Ford family never seems to be a few steps and a few meters away from this kind of sordid controversy?

2) If you link a few details together and connect some dots, while these are allegations, they are possible and plausible.

The BIG question, is knowing what we know, is Doug Ford really the right person to be Premier of Ontario - the 17th largest economy in the world? This is serious business.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like that lawsuit will take years to sort out.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
BREAKING - https://www.thestar.com/...hem-of-millions.html

I knew there had to be a bombshell lurking in a closet somewhere.

Yes these are allegations. Two things:

1) Why is it that the whole of the Ford family never seems to be a few steps and a few meters away from this kind of sordid controversy?

2) If you link a few details together and connect some dots, while these are allegations, they are possible and plausible.

The BIG question, is knowing what we know, is Doug Ford really the right person to be Premier of Ontario - the 17th largest economy in the world? This is serious business.

Wow. The timing of that is less than perfect for Dougie. Of course it won't phase "Ford Nation" any more than than Trump's base.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I am told the teachers have been told via their unions to vote NDP. I am hoping as you say if Ford gets his feet under the desk he will get a good finance minister and take some advice. I am sure he will keep blustering though.

Well, what would you expect after the anti teacher Conservative government of Mike "slash and burn" Harris, ironically himself a failed teacher who got the boot from his board before selling cars and then going into politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this plausible? Sure. So is it plausible that Rob Ford squandered his family’s money and Renata doesn’t have as much as she’d like to.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next