Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Sunday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
I think you struck a nerve with the Libs, Constantine. Lol
Carry on.

Who championed the Convention Against Torture and Inhuman Treatment or Punishment in the United States?

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Whether waterboarding is actual torture or not appears to be a matter of one's ideology, it seems to me.

Whether one was willing to ignore that waterboarding has been considered a form of torture since the Spanish Inquisition appears to be a matter of whether one wanted to make excuses for a particular administration, it seems to me.

The willingness to condone torture tells me an awful lot about the ideology of a person. Such as whether or not they possess basic human qualities.

Waterboarding was part of the Army's field manual for interrogation for a long time. It's only relatively recently that we've seen this shift to considering the technique to be torture. Maybe that's because we've all become more enlightened or maybe it's for ideological reasons. Or a bit of both.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Trump espoused his desire to bring "back waterboarding" in one of the debates during his campaign.

Now he's named Gina Haspel as CIA director. She was in charge of the rendition site in Thailand that waterboarded a number of prisoners. According to the Intelligence Committee’s investigation, Zubaydah's treatment was particularly harsh, and was waterboarded 83 times... "at one point, he became non-responsive, with water bubbling up from his lungs. Doctors had to revive him. During his confinement, Zubaydah lost sight in his left eye."

https://www.newyorker.com/...iefs-black-site-past

The US executed Japanese soldiers for crimes that included waterboarding.

Her Senate confirmation hearing could be interesting.

Is this the daily outrage thing? What are you folks going to do if that guy wins a second term? ;-)

Yes, yes it is. It helps them sleep better at night, and of course diverts from Hillary's latest moronic, crazy ramblings in India which the Kay's of the world likely agree with.

Holy crap, pot calling the kettle black. Oh, and Omarosa, I wasn't saying anything about you being black or being racist....it's just a figure of speech. So don't go all crazy on me.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Could be interesting"? Somewhat understated in my view. Our darkside surfaces in our wars.The distinction between Morality and Amorality is not always intuitively obvious in execution of war. I hope the "Holier than Thou" attitude does not prevail.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Trump espoused his desire to bring "back waterboarding" in one of the debates during his campaign.

Now he's named Gina Haspel as CIA director. She was in charge of the rendition site in Thailand that waterboarded a number of prisoners. According to the Intelligence Committee’s investigation, Zubaydah's treatment was particularly harsh, and was waterboarded 83 times... "at one point, he became non-responsive, with water bubbling up from his lungs. Doctors had to revive him. During his confinement, Zubaydah lost sight in his left eye."

Is this the daily outrage thing? What are you folks going to do if that guy wins a second term? ;-)

Yes, yes it is. It helps them sleep better at night, and of course diverts from Hillary's latest moronic, crazy ramblings in India which the Kay's of the world likely agree with.

I think this is the second, or perhaps third time you've cited some random thing and said that "Kay probably agrees" with. Strikes me as a sad indictment on your (in)ability to actually debate issues I'm engaged with here. Instead you just make up random stuff. Hmm. Reminds me of someone...
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Maybe more important than whether she endorsed waterboarding, she's accused of having destroyed evidence of torture/waterboarding at her facilities. I don't know if those accusations are true, but I'm not sure how much this administration really wants/needs another senior official who is suspected of lying, misleading, concealing evidence, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having to listen to Sarah sanders or Devos would be worse than waterbiarding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If 'this torture' get legitimate info that can twart potential bombings, killings, etc then I'm all for it. If it's not effective, then we should do other tactics that are.
I wholeheartedly believe that Team Donkey has taken a stand against this practice(regardless of humanity), so the donkletts are just following as expected.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read John McCain's autobiography in which he recounts his time in the Hanoi Hilton. I recall him saying that everybody will break under torture, it's just a matter of when. Torture has been around for as long as man has. If it wasn't somewhat effective i'm sure the practice would have faded away by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
If 'this torture' get legitimate info that can twart potential bombings, killings, etc then I'm all for it. If it's not effective, then we should do other tactics that are.
I wholeheartedly believe that Team Donkey has taken a stand against this practice(regardless of humanity), so the donkletts are just following as expected.

So you are ok with foreigners using torture on US operatives/armed forces?
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
I read John McCain's autobiography in which he recounts his time in the Hanoi Hilton. I recall him saying that everybody will break under torture, it's just a matter of when. Torture has been around for as long as man has. If it wasn't somewhat effective i'm sure the practice would have faded away by now.

The bubonic plague has been around for a long time.
If it wasn’t somewhat effective I’m sure it would have faded away by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:

I can get you, through torture, to admit that you fuck aborted puppies. How useful is that? Would it be true? Or would you just admit to what i wanted to hear to make the pain stop?

The latter is why its not effective.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:

To be fair, it's not Team Donkey that has taken the stance that waterboarding is torture. It's most of the civilized world. It was outlawed during Vietnam by US Generals. Teddy Roosevelt called for prevention of waterboarding. We tried Japanese soldiers for the crime of waterboarding our Soldiers during WWII. Law enforcement officers have been put in prison for waterboarding prisoners. The Director of DIA in the mid 2000's LtGen Maples described waterboarding as torture in testimony to Congress.

It's not like this is some liberal weenie fringe concept.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:

Breaking is different from gathering useful intelligence reliably. You might want to do a tiny bit of research on what McCain actually thinks of torture before using it in your argument.

And torture is outlawed (at least in the US and by Geneva Convention) and has been for a while. The discussion is whether waterboarding falls falls under the definition of torture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Sunday wrote:

To be fair, it's not Team Donkey that has taken the stance that waterboarding is torture. It's most of the civilized world. It was outlawed during Vietnam by US Generals. Teddy Roosevelt called for prevention of waterboarding. We tried Japanese soldiers for the crime of waterboarding our Soldiers during WWII. Law enforcement officers have been put in prison for waterboarding prisoners. The Director of DIA in the mid 2000's LtGen Maples described waterboarding as torture in testimony to Congress.

It's not like this is some liberal weenie fringe concept.

but her emails

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing is certain- there just isn’t enough arbitrary suffering anymore.

Who wouldn’t want to give government bureaucrats access to more “enhanced interrogation techniques”?
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
TBH, I'm more concerned about the people doing torture. That's gotta take part of your soul every time you do it. Nobody ever mentions this.

Initially I was OK with water boarding, but after watching Dr. Zimbardo, famous for the Stanford Prison Experiment, giving a Ted talk on how and why soldiers
tortured people at Abu Gharib, I'm not sure it's a good thing for anyone. Power left unchecked can lead to the dehumanizing of prisoners which somehow changes something in the soldiers mind and allows him or her to do terrible things. Here's the talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/philip_zimbardo_on_the_psychology_of_evil
Agreed, I was generally in the camp of 'do what needs to be done to get the information to keep this country safe' but the more that's come out about the effectiveness of these techniques in gathering intel, and how it impacts the subject, the soldiers conducting the torture, etc I just can't imagine any justification for supporting it.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
One thing is certain- there just isn’t enough arbitrary suffering anymore.

Who wouldn’t want to give government bureaucrats access to more “enhanced interrogation techniques”?

if there is a heaven, George Orwell is there writing an essay about the evil inanity of the phrase 'enhanced interrogation techniques.'

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One can be against torture on moral grounds yet also acknowledge it's efficacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
One can be against torture on moral grounds yet also acknowledge it's efficacy.

What body of evidence says its effective?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding McCain, and that is who I was discussing, he signed a confession admitting to war crimes after breaking under torture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
Regarding McCain, and that is who I was discussing, he signed a confession admitting to war crimes after breaking under torture.

That's a long way away from providing his captors with actionable intelligence, isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.rollingstone.com/...ve-maverick-20081016
Some say he did provide actionable intelligence. Regardless, the son of an admiral admitting to war crimes was a propaganda victory for North Vietnam.
Quote Reply
Re: I would "bring back waterboarding" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
M~ wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone in this day and age thinks torture is effective for anything other than inflicting emotional and physical pain on a subject.

Torture is taking a US military TA-312 phone and running the bare-wire ends from it to a captured enemy's testicles and then cranking the phone, sending an electrical charge down the wires, in order to get him to talk.

The Pakistanis torture men and women by lowering them down onto a rounded-end steel rod so that the rod slides into the rectum, and then very slowly lowering them further still, all the while telling them it's in their best interests to talk. The world is full of torture techniques employed by governments and militias and the like. Not sure that waterboarding actually constitutes "torture" in the real sense, though I agree on it being classified as "enhanced interrogation."

Whether waterboarding actually works or not is also up for debate. Some say it does and others maintain it doesn't. From what I understand, interrogators had to waterboard Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the operational planner behind the 9/11 attacks, something like 186 (or 156, I forget which) times before he finally spilled his secrets. Other detainees proven to have participated in the 9/11 planning and attack or support phases cracked after only a single session or 2 or 3 of them.

US military personnel being trained in survival, evasion, resistance and escape (SERE) are also subjected to a technique that's similar to waterboarding, by the way.

Whether waterboarding is actual torture or not appears to be a matter of one's ideology, it seems to me.

About that, https://www.newyorker.com/...-sheikh-mohammed-cia

Here are some quotations from C.I.A. records filed during Mohammed’s interrogation:
“Overall view seems to be” that waterboarding “is not working in gaining KSM[’s] compliance,” one officer wrote.
“Against KSM it has proven ineffective,” the deputy chief of the C.I.A. interrogation program wrote. “The potential for physical harm is far greater with the waterboard than with the other techniques, bringing into question the issue of risk vs. gain.”
“We seem to have lost ground,” the deputy chief continued, writing that the practice “may poison the well.”
An official C.I.A. assessment of the interrogations concluded that Mohammed managed to conceal his most valuable information, despite being tortured. (The report was titled “Precious Truths, Surrounded by a Bodyguard of Lies.”) Another report, written after the waterboarding sessions had ended, said that interrogators “remain[ed] highly suspicious that KSM is withholding, exaggerating, misdirecting, or outright fabricating information” on weapons of mass destruction. “Pretend cooperation,’’ another report said. “May never be forthcoming or honest,” said another.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/make-believe-maverick-20081016
Some say he did provide actionable intelligence. Regardless, the son of an admiral admitting to war crimes was a propaganda victory for North Vietnam.

So your evidence for the efficacy of torture is a single instance of a (perceived) propaganda victory for NV.

Got it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next