Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Family" recipes
Quote | Reply
I had above average homemade chicken wings a few weeks back. I tasted Soy sauce, ginger, honey, vinegar, pear but I was missing something. I think it was molasses. I was thinking of making it myself. SO I emailed. Response: "sorry that is a family recipe."

excuse me?

A restaurant recipe. Sure. Keep it secret. But a friend asking?

I replied with "I am pretty sure it Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, vinegar, pear and molasses. I am going to work on this because I think I can improve it."
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"sorry that is a family recipe." is my standard response when someone asks about the home cooked meal I just served but in reality I got as takeout from a local restaurant.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I replied with "I am pretty sure it Soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, vinegar, pear and molasses. I am going to work on this because I think I can improve it."

Have you heard from your now ex friend since sending that reply ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a smiley face on it, does that matter? And I don't care because if you don't share recipes you aren't my friend anyhow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I put a smiley face on it, does that matter?

insult to injury !

Quote:

And I don't care because if you don't share recipes you aren't my friend anyhow!
Agreed and you are probably better off since the wings were only better then average to begin with.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes say that something is an old family recipe...just not my family.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I had above average homemade chicken wings a few weeks back. I tasted Soy sauce, ginger, honey, vinegar, pear but I was missing something. I think it was molasses. I was thinking of making it myself. SO I emailed. Response: "sorry that is a family recipe."

excuse me?

I shared our family recipe for pierogies with Windywave, now he's banned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres a family recipe, its basic, maybe not super original, but its our favorite and quite meaningful to us. Its a side dish..

Dice some potatoes
Slice up some carrots
Chop up a yellow onion
Throw in some roasted garlic
Throw in some rosemary
Toss it all in olive oil

Put in a covered casserole dish and Bake at 375 until they start to get tender then uncover for 10 min or so

Its also duoer delicious if you put it in a big ball of tin foil and cook it in a campfire.

It was thrown together one day by my daughters mom, and we all loved it. We call it rosey potatoes because it has rosemary and rose was her middle name.

Feel free to steal it, just call it rosey potatoes, it makes my daughter happy.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

excuse me?

I shared our family recipe for pierogies with Windywave, now he's banned.

I also shared some vegan recipies with him! He asked for some then he got the hammer

Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About how long until they start to get tender? This is a recipe that I might even be able to handle!

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For years, the protected recipe in my family was Nana's chocolate chip cookies. We tried and tried, but she'd never share her secret sauce.

Every year she made 100s of Christmas cookies for family and friends, but as she aged, that burden became harder and harder, until she finally relented and asked for baking help one year.

Finally, the secrets would be revealed.

Imagine my disappointment when I learned she just used the recipe on the bag of Nestle chocolate chips. Son of a bitch.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer.
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great story

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife's grandmother makes an amazing corn pudding, the family has been asking for the recipe forever and she has given parts away but not all of it. Family members have given it a try and can't get it to taste nearly as good.

One day after asking the last few questions they finally got the full recipe, it consisted of so much lard and salted butter that no one ever wants to make it. Not sure how anyone didn't have a heart attack after eating that stuff.....
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
About how long until they start to get tender? This is a recipe that I might even be able to handle!

drn92

About 40 min usually if you use a large casserole dish thats decently full

Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally tried this last night. It turned out pretty good, especially considering the chef (me).

Definitely will try it again. Thanks for sharing.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
"sorry that is a family recipe."

That is so stupid. I had something similar happen with a co-worker who was bragging about how he had the best recipe for something but wouldn't share it. Sharing a recipe doesn't diminish its value.
Quote Reply
Re: "Family" recipes [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
I finally tried this last night. It turned out pretty good, especially considering the chef (me).

Definitely will try it again. Thanks for sharing.

drn92

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Reply