Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
The science is apparently settled but i guess I'm stuck in that thin frothy film at the top. It's pretty rambunctious here. We're open to new ideas and not just "settled science." Who knew that science was a fixed object?

I know the zeitqeist is against me as the Site Owner is the leading proponent. He's either brave enough to offer this platform for disagreement, or he's just collecting posts on who is first in the line for the right thinking re-education camps.

Still thinking how awful it would be to find out your child is not coming home today. How fucking awful.

/r

I agree 100%. And I think/it appears that everyone except for Halvard feels the same. It's a good place for all of us to start in common.

This platform for disagreement is a good one. And this is a tough subject with good points on both sides, set on the backdrop of a new and emotional event.

Most likely we will not solve the worlds or this problem here. While I enjoy watching the discourse its when the Zeitgeist turns to having to engage in disingenuous tactics to "win" the argument that I find things to be most repugnant and those that engage in such tom-foolery to be the largest of hack-ittude-iness
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

Do you believe that self-defense is a "practical use" for a firearm? Have you ever seen a video of a police shooting? How many rounds do they typically fire?

I mean weapons that can quickly shoot, for example, 30 rounds, not pistols with what, 8 shots. Yes, police empty their guns on suspects but it is not typical, from what I have seen, where they are constantly reloading and shooting again.

My pistol carries 16 rounds, and the reload time is about 2 seconds if I do it right.

Fine but I don't agree with the need for that type of weapon. It's my personal opinion and not something I'm forcing on anyone. However, if our government wanted to pass a law preventing that type of gun, I would not disagree.

My pistol carries 8 rounds, and the reload time is about 10 seconds. But I'm a much better target shooter than 307trout so I bet in 3 minutes I can hit the target more times than he can in total.

Congrats. My point is there should be limits. You will always have people who can do things with less. Again, I'm not advocating we confiscate weapons, just their ability to kill many fast, by the average American. You are obviously above average. ;-)

nope. I am just a very good target shooter. Utilizing whatever weapon is available if I am motivated enough I will inflict damage on a target at the maximum level I can. Which may be a higher level than yours even if you have a more efficient system to deliver that damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
You grabbed that graphic from Romans322.com? Yecch ;).

I have no problem connecting high suicide rates with high gun ownership levels, it is a small but inescapable aspect of "gun culture" and it has played out in multiple ways in my family.

High suicide rates don't correlate with high suicide rates everywhere. As I posted earlier, Japan has a much higher suicide rate than the US, and yet they have very few guns in that society.

Suicide in Japan is a culturally accepted norm in many instances. "Honorable seppuku" is what I believe it's called. In the West, we often refer to it as "Harry Carey" (actually "hara kiri"). ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

Do you believe that self-defense is a "practical use" for a firearm? Have you ever seen a video of a police shooting? How many rounds do they typically fire?

I mean weapons that can quickly shoot, for example, 30 rounds, not pistols with what, 8 shots. Yes, police empty their guns on suspects but it is not typical, from what I have seen, where they are constantly reloading and shooting again.

My pistol carries 16 rounds, and the reload time is about 2 seconds if I do it right.

Fine but I don't agree with the need for that type of weapon. It's my personal opinion and not something I'm forcing on anyone. However, if our government wanted to pass a law preventing that type of gun, I would not disagree.

My pistol carries 8 rounds, and the reload time is about 10 seconds. But I'm a much better target shooter than 307trout so I bet in 3 minutes I can hit the target more times than he can in total.

Congrats. My point is there should be limits. You will always have people who can do things with less. Again, I'm not advocating we confiscate weapons, just their ability to kill many fast, by the average American. You are obviously above average. ;-)

Also, I don't think I am disagreeing with you premise just being devils advocate. But I also don't think it is easy to quantify your position. I don't know what "many" "fast" and "Average American" means. I don't think the "average American" would use any weapon to kill many fast (and I think for the most part we all agree on that). Conversely my point is if I am not the "average American" (someone who would choose to do this) trying to place arbitrary limits is fine but that doesn't mean you are truly going to stop me or even alter the results.

This guy and the dude in LV stopped what they were doing of their own accord, not because someone stopped them. They used the particular weapons they used for the reasons they chose to use them. If they had chosen weapons more in line with your liking but continued on until somone stopped them (in both cases I don't think we know how long that could have been) there is nothing to say the damage couldn't have been worse.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Feb 16, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
People who use the mental health issue are simply distracting from the real problem of guns, it’s a cop out.

A large portion of the country have a mental health problem (depending on how it’s defined), or have anger issues, or don’t cope well when things go wrong, or want revenge from a real or perceived injustice, etc. Are you going to treat them all, lock them up?

Obama passed legislation blocking 75,000 Americans on social assistance with from getting guns and Trump overturned it, fully supported by Republicans and the NRA.

The mental health issue is a red herring, another excuse to not try anything seriously.

That is quite the ignorant conclusion, given what we know of the mental health issues suffered by the majority of mass shooters.

Your lack of understanding of statistics and correlation/causation is amazing.

Think about this (real facts): probably close to 100% of those complaining about knee pain will be found to have damage in their knees. Is their pain from the damage, and they need surgery?

It is stunning to me how the Donkeys want to put the blame on the device and not the individual. We have a serious problem with mental health in this country. For far too long, we unjustly institutionalized individuals, robbing them of their basic independent rights. So, when we finally came out of the dark ages, we went overboard in the opposite direction and are so hellbent on "protecting" the patient that we turn a blind eye to the danger they pose. You are in that group. Congratulations for being part of the problem.

Wow, where'd that come from? I'm talking about your inability to understand stats and correlation, and you go off on that?

Here's the thing: let's say that 100% of mass shooters is mentally ill. That says nothing about the likelihood of a mentally ill person becoming a mass shooter.

I'm starting to wonder whether English is your second language. Seriously, your last two responses to me are so asinine and incoherent, you must be speaking a different language. Wow.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Below, murder-by-gun midway through 2016. According to Time Magazine, gun-related homicides (a slightly broader term) for 2016 ended up at 11,000 for the year. That's more than the 9,600 that occurred in 2015.

(NOTE: Disregard the red outlines around the causes of death. The original graphic I found featured that, not me. I don't mean to draw any ideological conclusions about causes of death, other than to state the number of murders by gun in 2016.)

Everything on that list, except gun deaths, is actively looking for solutions to prevent them.

We have, and have had for decades, solutions to prevent murders-by-gun. We either aren't serious about pressing those solutions or we've given up as a culture and are looking for government to make everything right, meaning we've abrogated our individual as well as collective responsibilities to the flock. Diminishing or eliminating a natural right to self-defense, which is due us as a result of our humanity, doesn't seem to me to be the proper response.

Like I've said before: come up with a single law -- short of complete and total outlawing of private gun ownership, something only possible through subsequent confiscation of all privately owned firearms in the country (good luck with that) -- that will prevent the next school shooting or mass shooting and I'll gladly back it to the hilt.

There were approximately 357 million firearms in the hands of the citizenry as of 2015. That genie is long out of the bottle and there's no putting it back. The better question to ask ourselves is how do we prevent, preempt and otherwise stop these hopeful shooters before they can do their deed? Do we harden schools and install more armed resources officers? Require teachers to conceal carry on school premises (something I'm against)? Strengthen mental health early identification and prevention systems, or similar? I mean, what can we do?

Also, would this shooter have attacked the school if there were indeed armed officers on the premises? Apparently, he ranged between the 1st and 3rd floors of the school, shooting staff and students (3 men gave their lives in the attack, trying to protect students), while the school guard (was he armed or not?) was elsewhere in the building. I think the shooter counted on that being the case.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I've noticed that as threads here in the LR lengthen, more people start hurling personal insults at each other. So far no Godwin's Law violations, though. So far. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

17 rounds. Basic police roll out is a Glock 17 that holds 17 rounds. Second most popular is the Glock 19, which holds 15 rounds. However, the Glock 17 magazine fits in the the Glock 19 with the option for an extender, so, many officers carry 17 rounds in their sidearm.

In a large number of police shootings, the police empty or come close to emptying the magazine. That means 17 rounds, double what you believed to be the case. If an officer reloads, it is with another 17 rounds. You shoot until the threat is neutralized.

As to speed, would you consider this a "weapon that can quickly shoot?"

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Feb 16, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Also, I've noticed that as threads here in the LR lengthen, more people start hurling personal insults at each other. So far no Godwin's Law violations, though. So far. ;-)

A large part of that is because, as the thread grows, there are multiple "conversations" between two or more posters. Some jackinate will see one post in that conversation and try to call out the poster, having not bothered to even attempt to follow the conversation, thus taking the single post of context. Most often, that jackinate takes the single post out of context and attempts to challenge a point made, again, out of context. When that occurs, the poopy-head needs to be called out for the jackinate he is.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

A large part of that is because, as the thread grows, there are multiple "conversations" between two or more posters. Some jackinate will see one post in that conversation and try to call out the poster, having not bothered to even attempt to follow the conversation, thus taking the single post of context. Most often, that jackinate takes the single post out of context and attempts to challenge a point made, again, out of context. When that occurs, the poopy-head needs to be called out for the jackinate he is.

I used to like being a jackanapes. But as I've gotten older and matured (hah!) I've found it's just not worth all the writing I have to do and hassle I have to endure to defend my essential jackanapes-ness. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

sorry.....i'll go back to lurking now.....sorry....(slinks away)....
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

sorry.....i'll go back to lurking now.....sorry....(slinks away)....

Ha! When did you do that??? I was referring to our buddy Kenny, who is the king of doing this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

How can you possibly disagree with my need for such a tool when you have not bothered to ask a question of why I might need it. You are simply making an assumption based on your own experience which way or may not apply to my reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
From what I've seen in just this thread, it's impossible to have any short of useful "conversation" about mass shootings, mostly for the reason that the left will never accept that the right also wants to stop mass shootings, too.

I once knew a man (now deceased) who really wanted to cure his lung cancer.
No-one doubted the sincerity of that - who would want such an ugly, painful death?
What frustrated those who loved him was his absolute, flat out refusal to stop smoking, all the way from the first onset of emphysema until a couple of days before his death from lung cancer. He'd have been smoking on his final day if he could, he had simply lost the strength to suck air through a cigarette. He certainly didn't want to die, but he wouldn't do everything he could to live, either.

Nobody 'wants' mass shootings. Nobody really believes that gun owners want innocent deaths. The question is what you would sacrifice in the hope of reducing them.

When someone like Halvard, or to a lesser extent BCtruguy1, makes a comment that you easily dismiss as classless and irrational you are avoiding an important issue. "Rights", particularly ones like gun ownership, have positive and negative consequences. The ongoing insistence of the gun lobby that there is absolutely no downside to virtually unfettered access to ever more powerful weaponry capable of (designed for) the mass slaughter of humans is an increasingly disgusting form of 'flat earth' denialism.

The overwhelming majority of shooting deaths in the USA pass pretty much unnoticed. However, every time there is a sufficiently savage mass shooting, particularly involving children, there is a form of national trauma. Everyone is appalled, gun owners, of course, every bit as much. But the gun lobby and gun 'nut' reaction is depressingly predictable. They redouble there efforts to attribute the blame to anything but guns. It's mental health, it's drugs, it's video games, it's family breakdown, it's immigration, it's fluoride in the water.

Every other developed country navigates those same issues without the USA's levels of gun deaths, or homicides generally, but somehow the USA's unique problem with gun violence has nothing whatsoever to do with the USA's unique policies on guns.

Asked what would cause a fundamental rethink of those polices the answer is always: nothing. It's never going to happen. Sandy Hook? Gun sales spiked. A Sandy Hook event daily in perpetuity? More guns is always the answer. There's nothing they aren't prepared to do, except restrictions on weapons. And there's nothing they aren't prepared to do to keep their guns.

I don't imagine "the right" (if that is a proxy for gun rights absolutists) don't care (and I wouldn't describe it as bad faith). But I doubt things can get much better when restrictions on your ability to kill are permanently off the table in efforts to curb the tendency of others to kill.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

How can you possibly disagree with my need for such a tool when you have not bothered to ask a question of why I might need it. You are simply making an assumption based on your own experience which way or may not apply to my reality.

More importantly, the need for a weapon isn’t particularly relevant. Most people who own firearms will never “need” to use them and don’t need to have them. They want them, for a variety of reasons, and the Constitution guarantees their right to keep and bear them. It shouldn’t be incumbent on citizens to show why they need to own a firearm. It’s incumbent on the person who wants to infringe upon that right to demonstrate why they should be allowed to do so.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
From what I've seen in just this thread, it's impossible to have any short of useful "conversation" about mass shootings, mostly for the reason that the left will never accept that the right also wants to stop mass shootings, too.

No-one doubted the sincerity of that - who would want such an ugly, painful death?
What frustrated those who loved him was his absolute, flat out refusal to stop smoking, all the way from the first onset of emphysema until a couple of days before his death from lung cancer. He'd have been smoking on his final day if he could, he had simply lost the strength to suck air through a cigarette. He certainly didn't want to die, but he wouldn't do everything he could to live, either.

Nobody 'wants' mass shootings. Nobody really believes that gun owners want innocent deaths. The question is what you would sacrifice in the hope of reducing them.

When someone like Halvard, or to a lesser extent BCtruguy1, makes a comment that you easily dismiss as classless and irrational you are avoiding an important issue. "Rights", particularly ones like gun ownership, have positive and negative consequences. The ongoing insistence of the gun lobby that there is absolutely no downside to virtually unfettered access to ever more powerful weaponry capable of (designed for) the mass slaughter of humans is an increasingly disgusting form of 'flat earth' denialism.

The overwhelming majority of shooting deaths in the USA pass pretty much unnoticed. However, every time there is a sufficiently savage mass shooting, particularly involving children, there is a form of national trauma. Everyone is appalled, gun owners, of course, every bit as much. But the gun lobby and gun 'nut' reaction is depressingly predictable. They redouble there efforts to attribute the blame to anything but guns. It's mental health, it's drugs, it's video games, it's family breakdown, it's immigration, it's fluoride in the water.

Every other developed country navigates those same issues without the USA's levels of gun deaths, or homicides generally, but somehow the USA's unique problem with gun violence has nothing whatsoever to do with the USA's unique policies on guns.

Asked what would cause a fundamental rethink of those polices the answer is always: nothing. It's never going to happen. Sandy Hook? Gun sales spiked. A Sandy Hook event daily in perpetuity? More guns is always the answer. There's nothing they aren't prepared to do, except restrictions on weapons. And there's nothing they aren't prepared to do to keep their guns.

I don't imagine "the right" (if that is a proxy for gun rights absolutists) don't care (and I wouldn't describe it as bad faith). But I doubt things can get much better when restrictions on your ability to kill are permanently off the table in efforts to curb the tendency of others to kill.

This is likely your best post on this topic and I want to commend you on it. You make some excellent points and I appreciate your thoughtfulness and tone. Kudos.

I can imagine foreigners viewing events like this and shaking their heads in confusion and disgust. I can imagine the complete inability to relate. I imagine it is like my revulsion and disgust of the Korean dog meat industry. I cannot imagine living in a country that allows dogs to be butchered and eaten.

But, what you are asking us to do is to undue over 200 years of precedent, culture, and inherent belief. You want us to do something that is wholly impractical.

In 1996, in your country, your government bought and destroyed an estimated 600,000 firearms. And, let's not kid ourselves. You blokes are back to the same number of guns as you had before the ban: http://www.abc.net.au/...s-as-in-1996/4463150

Now, here in the US, we have in excess of 310M privately-owned firearms. There isn't enough money available to buy them all back. Plus, we have a different culture and a different right to ownership than in your country.

Again, I am in favor of tightening the laws on purchase and ownership and in enforcing the current laws on the books. But, a ban just isn't practical.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I know the zeitqeist is against me as the Site Owner is the leading proponent. He's either brave enough to offer this platform for disagreement, or he's just collecting posts on who is first in the line for the right thinking re-education camps.

you're here. you're posting. as are slowguy, JSA, BK, and a lot of guys who i've had violent disagreements with. we're well more than a dozen years into this forum. those who violently disagree with me, but are civil, and who are not simply abusive flame throwers, remain here and are valuable and welcome contributors, for whom i'm thankful. some who agree with me on many policies, but were abusive flame throwers, are not.

apparently there was an encounter you and i had in person that you reference that colors your posts to me. i regret that this bad encounter happened, tho i don't remember it. that encounter may change how you respond to me, but it won't change how i moderate your posts or the site.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
what you are asking us to do is to undue over 200 years of precedent, culture, and inherent belief. You want us to do something that is wholly impractical.

you could have said the same thing about voting rights, interracial marriage, gay marriage. all of these were constitutional or bill of rights issues. the interpretation of enumerated rights. what we changed was the communal understanding of the nature of these rights, and we changed them after 200 years of looking at them in one particular way.

i don't think the 2nd amendment stands outside the ability to discuss the rights. we encumber every enumerated right. no right is unfettered. there is no unfettered right to vote, to speak freely, to associate. the only thing that keeps us from soberly, conservatively, practically encumbering gun ownership and use is the current political climate combined with a temporary constitution of the supreme court.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just finished a year in Vietnam and greatly enjoyed your ongoing article about endless pools. It was very influential to me. Your personal demeanor was a big disappointment in the bike check-in area was but not a determinant factor. Some people are just assholes

/r

Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

you're here. you're posting. as are slowguy, JSA, BK, and a lot of guys who i've had violent disagreements with. we're well more than a dozen years into this forum. those who violently disagree with me, but are civil, and who are not simply abusive flame throwers, remain here and are valuable and welcome contributors, for whom i'm thankful. some who agree with me on many policies, but were abusive flame throwers, are not.

apparently there was an encounter you and i had in person that you reference that colors your posts to me. i regret that this bad encounter happened, tho i don't remember it. that encounter may change how you respond to me, but it won't change how i moderate your posts or the site.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I'd just finished a year in Vietnam and greatly enjoyed your ongoing article about endless pools. It was very influential to me. Your personal demeanor was a big disappointment in the bike check-in area was but not a determinant factor. Some people are just assholes

/r

Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

that must have been some time ago. i haven't been in the bike check in area of ironman in quite a few years (that i can remember). you're right. some people are assholes. perhaps i was one. perhaps i am one. i don't think a person gets to judge whether he's an asshole. only others can make that assessment.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

/r

Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

that must have been some time ago. i haven't been in the bike check in area of ironman in quite a few years (that i can remember). you're right. some people are assholes. perhaps i was one. perhaps i am one. i don't think a person gets to judge whether he's an asshole. only others can make that assessment.

I agree.....Halvards an asshole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
tritimmy wrote:
Dan, serious question. Do you have any gun experience? Many of the things you say about guns and ammo decry ignorance about both guns and ammunition. The ammo used in the olympics (.22) is not designed to inflict mass damage, true, but it is responsible for more deaths than any other caliber... I think you are a great guy, but I also think you are speaking from a very inexperienced position about something you know little about. :-)

to be clear: other than the fact that i am a (shot)gun owner, i'm no expert. and, i don't know that i brought up hollowpoints, did i? i simply said the following, i think (tho please feel free to use my own words against me):

1. guns should eventually (in some sort of phased method) be keyed to their owners (not operable without a biosignature), so that we're there in 10 or 20 years.
2. guns and accessories (magazines, stocks) designed primarily to kill people should be outlawed.
3. we need to admit that a large number of people feel they need to be armed so as to fight their anti-government insurrection (just look at the polling) and one would like to see responsible gun owners distance themselves from this.
4. if ammunition is designed and purchased for the purpose of inflicting damage on human beings, it should be outlawed. i'm content to hear law enforcement's view on this. i think you and i can agree that:
a) i'm not the expert.
b) law enforcement are the experts.

i can also say the following, with some confidence: if we keep doing what we're doing (nothing) we'll keep getting what we're getting.

so, there you go. that's my view. i don't feel one needs to be an expert in armaments or ballistics to hold this view in a responsible and informed manner.

I thought you made a comment about hollowpoints vs the 22s used in the Olympics. Maybe not. Regarding your points.
1. Okay - I'm not opposed to it. But could people with ill intent circumvent it?
2. The argument can be made that all guns and accessories are designed to kill....people or animals etc. But i see that you are after ARs here. I wouldn't give mine up because it is too fun to shoot. Maybe initially designed to kill people (but they are full auto and no one can own those) but are now used for sport shooting. Just like car owners who own cars that go over a 100mph. I don't think they'd give them up if they were outlawed.
3. I think that is a small number of people. I have lived in the gun culture my entire life and have never met someone who feels they need to be prepared to fight our government.
4. Eh, most of it is...at least in most states. law enforcement has been at the tip of the spear on armor piercing rounds. This is a tough one as well because I believe grandma should be able to purchase +p rounds for her 38. Heck, in Hemet last night a old couple in their 70s had to shoot an intruder. I think grandma and grandpa should be able to purchase hollow points to protect themselves.

I appreciate your view. And would welcome your view on my counter point about alcohol. Deaths related to alcohol are kicking the shit outa gun death stats....even with all of the things we are trying to do to stop it.....which is A LOT! thanks dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

This is likely your best post on this topic and I want to commend you on it. You make some excellent points and I appreciate your thoughtfulness and tone. Kudos.

X2

(And from bone idol......wow.just wow.)
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just replying to Idol because he is the most recent to ask the "what would you sacrifice" question, but this response is to the thread.

It is interesting to me that the question over and over is "what will law abiding gun owners give up to fix this problem?" Or "what solutions will the law abiding gun owners propose before (insert veiled threat from Dan of some anti gun owner revolution we should all be quaking in our boots about.)"

Then everyone wants to talk about the gun lobby and all the money spent by the NRA and gun manufacturers.

So gun owners talk about prescription meds (whose lobby and manufacturers contributions make the NRA look like milk money) and they talk about mental health.

My question is, what are regular citizens regardless of guns willing to give up to slow or end mass killings? This kid did nothing to hide his intentions, in fact he broadcast them for the FBI and NSA to do jack nothing about. I read a report earlier today where the cops had been called to his house 39 times since 2012. He had already been expelled, and an email went out to all school personnel that he should never be allowed on campus with a backpack. Everyone who knew him was not surprised in the least at what he did. We ask people to see something, say something. People saw, and some even said, and not a thing was done. In fact for the majority of the 39 house calls there was not even a report written. Perhaps we need to look at infringing on the rights of a homicidal maniac like this kid rather than look for ways to infringe on the rights of law abiding gun owners.

Easy for non-gun owners to call for the rights of people not in their group to have their rights taken away. Not so easy for them to agree to infringement of rights of people who show signs of danger. Because that infringement might one day happen to them or touch their life somehow, whereas they are pretty sure a lack of a gun will never affect them.

So I ask, what are we all willing to sacrifice as far as personal freedom from intervention when we make threats and show signs of violence? I would imagine that everyone calling for sacrifice will shut right up when this question is asked, and thus they are no better/worse than the gun owner who wants to keep his/her rights.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
I appreciate your view. And would welcome your view on my counter point about alcohol. Deaths related to alcohol are kicking the shit outa gun death stats....even with all of the things we are trying to do to stop it.....which is A LOT! thanks dan

i'll see your breathalizer in every car, and raise you a biosignature on every firearm. 2 problems solved.

i don't mind being inconvenienced in order to save a few thousand lives a year. mind, i don't mind you exercising your freedom to endanger our own life. i just mind an unfettered freedom we all enjoy that directly causes tens of thousands of deaths and permanent injuries, if such freedom can be tempered and all those deaths can be avoided.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next