Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so the old "I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna make a strong assertion" assertion?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.

The question that was asked by some serious thinkers yesterday was, are we even raising boys these days, or are we treating them more like problems in need of solving or, at best, an inconvenience to society? They're not allowed to be boys in school or in many other facets of life these days, they say. And with the absence of strong male authority figures in the lives of many of them, what's becoming of them as they exit adolescence and enter (legal) adulthood?

What's also weird is the first cited school shooter, back in January 1979, was a 16-year-old female. Since then, I think it's been 100-percent males.

Quoi? Cited by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...tes#Colonial_America

1779 would be closer, but those were actually Indians, not from Cleveland. There have been verified school shootings of the type we have now since the mid-1800s.

Aside from the gun debate, there has been school violence at a relatively steady rate since forever. Rapid rates of high powered fire serve to complicate the matter but this is not a new phenomenon and is not tied to the breakdown of the family, conservatism or liberalism.

The Daily Beast cited Brenda Spengler as the first real school shooter in the modern era of such activities. The events you cite were few and far between and had a variety of other input factors.

It appears to me as if you are trying to blame the gun solely because it is a gun and that its magical appearance in our lives has effectuated this seeming rise in school shootings. I agree that it probably has made it easier for some to carry out their evil deeds , but even a cursory examination of the range of school shootings over the last two decades would seem to indicate that there were quite a few demons that drove most of these shooters and that we as a society could have done something to preempt them.

There were a variety of pathologies and issues that these school shooters suffered from. Also, it's not really certain whether any of these people should have been allowed to possess a firearm in the first place.

But, again, we seem to put blinders on when it comes to society's and culture's role in this phenomenon. As well as its duty to step in and do something about it.

At this point, I would just say to the people advocating for more gun control to just admit that they don't want anyone to possess a firearm. I'm fine with that position coming from them. I might disagree with it, but it is a more honest position then I've been reading out there on various media sites.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 16, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
People who use the mental health issue are simply distracting from the real problem of guns, it’s a cop out.

A large portion of the country have a mental health problem (depending on how it’s defined), or have anger issues, or don’t cope well when things go wrong, or want revenge from a real or perceived injustice, etc. Are you going to treat them all, lock them up?

Obama passed legislation blocking 75,000 Americans on social assistance with from getting guns and Trump overturned it, fully supported by Republicans and the NRA.

The mental health issue is a red herring, another excuse to not try anything seriously.

That is quite the ignorant conclusion, given what we know of the mental health issues suffered by the majority of mass shooters.

Your lack of understanding of statistics and correlation/causation is amazing.

Think about this (real facts): probably close to 100% of those complaining about knee pain will be found to have damage in their knees. Is their pain from the damage, and they need surgery?

It is stunning to me how the Donkeys want to put the blame on the device and not the individual. We have a serious problem with mental health in this country. For far too long, we unjustly institutionalized individuals, robbing them of their basic independent rights. So, when we finally came out of the dark ages, we went overboard in the opposite direction and are so hellbent on "protecting" the patient that we turn a blind eye to the danger they pose. You are in that group. Congratulations for being part of the problem.

Wow, where'd that come from? I'm talking about your inability to understand stats and correlation, and you go off on that?

Here's the thing: let's say that 100% of mass shooters is mentally ill. That says nothing about the likelihood of a mentally ill person becoming a mass shooter.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.

The question that was asked by some serious thinkers yesterday was, are we even raising boys these days, or are we treating them more like problems in need of solving or, at best, an inconvenience to society? They're not allowed to be boys in school or in many other facets of life these days, they say. And with the absence of strong male authority figures in the lives of many of them, what's becoming of them as they exit adolescence and enter (legal) adulthood?

What's also weird is the first cited school shooter, back in January 1979, was a 16-year-old female. Since then, I think it's been 100-percent males.

Quoi? Cited by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...tes#Colonial_America

1779 would be closer, but those were actually Indians, not from Cleveland. There have been verified school shootings of the type we have now since the mid-1800s.

Aside from the gun debate, there has been school violence at a relatively steady rate since forever. Rapid rates of high powered fire serve to complicate the matter but this is not a new phenomenon and is not tied to the breakdown of the family, conservatism or liberalism.

The Daily Beast cited Brenda Spengler as the first real school shooter in the modern era of such activities. The events you cite were few and far between and had a variety of other input factors.

It appears to me as if you are trying to blame the gun solely because it is a gun and that its magical appearance in our lives has effectuated this seeming rise in school shootings. I agree that it probably has made it easier for some to carry out their evil deeds , but even a cursory examination of the range of school shootings over the last two decades would seem to indicate that there were quite a few demons that drove most of these shooters and that we as a society could have done something to preamp them.

There were a variety of pathologies and issues that these school shooters suffered from. Also, it's not really certain whether any of these people should have been allowed to possess a firearm in the first place.

But, again, we seem to put blinders on when it comes to society's and culture's role in this phenomenon. As well as its duty to step in and do something about it.

At this point, I would just say to the people advocating for more gun control to just admit that they don't want anyone to possess a firearm. I'm fine with that position coming from them. I might disagree with it, but it is a more honest position then I've been reading out there on various media sites.

You seem to have not read my post very carefully if at all or are simply not relying to me.

Actually they were not that few and far between. And the causes are much the same. "A boy who refused to be whipped by his teacher left the school. The next day he returned with his brother and a friend for revenge. Not finding the teacher at the school, they continued to his house, where a gun battle took place and three died. Only the original boy who initiated the attack survived.[17]"
That sounds an awful lot like this week.Except it was 1868.

I am not blaming the rise of guns. If anything I am saying that guns are not the cause of school shootings/violence. What I would say it that it is much easier to kill 17 with a semi-automatic rifle than it is a muzzle loader or 6 shot revolver.

This is not new, yesteryear's society and culture had to deal with it too.

There have been more n the last decade, no doubt. But I don't think society has broken down any more in the last 10 when compared to the 10 - 20 years before that. I would postulate that it is more copycat kind of behavior than societal decline.

I have said the exact opposite in regards to gun control.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Politico
https://www.politico.com/...dministration-348968

School safety money would be slashed in Trump budget

Two days before the school shooting in Florida that left 17 dead, the Trump administration proposed cutting millions in federal education programs meant to help prevent crime in schools and assist them in recovery from tragedies.

Funds targeted for reduction or elimination in the Trump administration's fiscal 2019 request have helped pay for counselors in schools and violence prevention programs. Such funds were used for mental health aid for students and teachers in the Newtown, Conn., school district following the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
From Politico

Two days before the school shooting in Florida that left 17 dead, the Trump administration proposed cutting millions in federal education programs meant to help prevent crime in schools and assist them in recovery from tragedies.

Funds targeted for reduction or elimination in the Trump administration's fiscal 2019 request have helped pay for counselors in schools and violence prevention programs. Such funds were used for mental health aid for students and teachers in the Newtown, Conn., school district following the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012.

Well is this money helping ? riddle me that. Using the left stats on the uptick of school shootings, I would have to conclude no.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
so the old "I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna make a strong assertion" assertion?

steve, i think my post was pretty respectful. i don't think it was insulting, or nonsensical. i don't feel i need to understand the physics of climate change to hold an opinion on climate change. i don't need to understand the physics of ballistics to know who to trust. climage change? climate scientists. the danger of certain kinds of ammunition? i'm content listening to what law enforcement has to say about it.

if you want to continue to make the comments like you made that i quoted above, fine, but i can only assume that it stands in place of a reasoned argument.

i am only a gun owner, but i am not a gun enthusiast. if you want to be a gun enthusiast, that's fine, as long as you're not a mayhem enthusiast, which i don't think you are. if you have a reasoned solution to combat the mayhem enthusiasts, fine. i'm willing to listen. if your response is just to insult, as your last few posts have done, also fine, but i'll talk to gun enthusiasts who know how to fashion a reasoned response.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Halvard wrote:
From Politico

Well is this money helping ? riddle me that. Using the left stats on the uptick of school shootings, I would have to conclude no.

Such funds were used for mental health aid for students and teachers in the Newtown, Conn., school district following the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
You grabbed that graphic from Romans322.com? Yecch ;).

I have no problem connecting high suicide rates with high gun ownership levels, it is a small but inescapable aspect of "gun culture" and it has played out in multiple ways in my family.

High suicide rates don't correlate with high suicide rates everywhere. As I posted earlier, Japan has a much higher suicide rate than the US, and yet they have very few guns in that society.

Last edited by: spot: Feb 16, 18 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You Sir are the master of the disingenuous post

At a personal level you've been so since our brief meeting in the bike rack area of Kona when you gave me a very curt and snarky response to my simple query of "hi are you Dan?" No way you would remember nor should you. Still very revealing to me as to your nature.

Not that you will do so but if you look back upstream you will see that where serious discussion occurs i offer serious input. It might not be what you agree with but it's there

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
You Sir are the master of the disingenuous post

At a personal level you've been so since our brief meeting in the bike rack area of Kona when you gave me a very curt and snarky response to my simple query of "hi are you Dan?" No way you would remember nor should you. Still very revealing to me as to your nature.

Not that you will do so but if you look back upstream you will see that where serious discussion occurs i offer serious input. It might not be what you agree with but it's there

next you'll get something really snarky with a "hey if you cant take it, this is a rough and tumble place" flavor. Classic!!
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha Dan is just an asshole who pretends to be a nice guy

i don't need a safe space

parents of those kids who did not come home yesterday do need someplace to find peace tho

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, but Japanese culture is an outlier, right? One could say that "American" culture is also, but I would argue that we are in the midst of a great cultural divergence.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Below, murder-by-gun midway through 2016. According to Time Magazine, gun-related homicides (a slightly broader term) for 2016 ended up at 11,000 for the year. That's more than the 9,600 that occurred in 2015.

(NOTE: Disregard the red outlines around the causes of death. The original graphic I found featured that, not me. I don't mean to draw any ideological conclusions about causes of death, other than to state the number of murders by gun in 2016.)

Everything on that list, except gun deaths, is actively looking for solutions to prevent them.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting and sort of agree if i think you're getting after what i think you're getting after

expound on--as you can--this cultural divergence?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I applaud the ardency of your zeitgeist
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

Do you believe that self-defense is a "practical use" for a firearm? Have you ever seen a video of a police shooting? How many rounds do they typically fire?

I mean weapons that can quickly shoot, for example, 30 rounds, not pistols with what, 8 shots. Yes, police empty their guns on suspects but it is not typical, from what I have seen, where they are constantly reloading and shooting again.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Of course, but Japanese culture is an outlier, right? One could say that "American" culture is also, but I would argue that we are in the midst of a great cultural divergence.

Perhaps, but there are many countries that have higher suicide rates than the US, with many of those having more restrictive gun laws and a much lower rate of gun ownership:

http://www.businessinsider.com/...cide-rate-map-2014-4

France, Finland, Belgium, the Czech Republic, etc....all higher than the US. Interestingly, some of the countries with extremely high gun homicide rates are quite low on this list (some of the central and south american countries).

Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

Do you believe that self-defense is a "practical use" for a firearm? Have you ever seen a video of a police shooting? How many rounds do they typically fire?

I mean weapons that can quickly shoot, for example, 30 rounds, not pistols with what, 8 shots. Yes, police empty their guns on suspects but it is not typical, from what I have seen, where they are constantly reloading and shooting again.

My pistol carries 16 rounds, and the reload time is about 2 seconds if I do it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

My pistol carries 16 rounds, and the reload time is about 2 seconds if I do it right.

Fine but I don't agree with the need for that type of weapon. It's my personal opinion and not something I'm forcing on anyone. However, if our government wanted to pass a law preventing that type of gun, I would not disagree.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Confiscated!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has many facets. secular/religious, urban/rural, globalist/nationalist, liberal/conservative. There has always been cultural differences, but several recent factors are widening them (media bifurcation/globalization/technology/inequality). I would argue that we are approaching levels similar to the early/mid-1800's, when trends in immigration/slavery/industrialization converged to create two America's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The science is apparently settled but i guess I'm stuck in that thin frothy film at the top. It's pretty rambunctious here. We're open to new ideas and not just "settled science." Who knew that science was a fixed object?

I know the zeitqeist is against me as the Site Owner is the leading proponent. He's either brave enough to offer this platform for disagreement, or he's just collecting posts on who is first in the line for the right thinking re-education camps.

Still thinking how awful it would be to find out your child is not coming home today. How fucking awful.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Fine but I don't agree with the need for that type of weapon. It's my personal opinion and not something I'm forcing on anyone. However, if our government wanted to pass a law preventing that type of gun, I would not disagree.

My pistol carries 8 rounds, and the reload time is about 10 seconds. But I'm a much better target shooter than 307trout so I bet in 3 minutes I can hit the target more times than he can in total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
307trout wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

My pistol carries 8 rounds, and the reload time is about 10 seconds. But I'm a much better target shooter than 307trout so I bet in 3 minutes I can hit the target more times than he can in total.

Congrats. My point is there should be limits. You will always have people who can do things with less. Again, I'm not advocating we confiscate weapons, just their ability to kill many fast, by the average American. You are obviously above average. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply

Prev Next