Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.

The question that was asked by some serious thinkers yesterday was, are we even raising boys these days, or are we treating them more like problems in need of solving or, at best, an inconvenience to society? They're not allowed to be boys in school or in many other facets of life these days, they say. And with the absence of strong male authority figures in the lives of many of them, what's becoming of them as they exit adolescence and enter (legal) adulthood?

What's also weird is the first cited school shooter, back in January 1979, was a 16-year-old female. Since then, I think it's been 100-percent males.

1979 is right about when the 2nd amendment was adopted, right?

I think we fill these boys with anxiety about who they should be and how they should act. I have 9 and 6 year old boys and we pay for private school, even though we live in the top school district in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
People who use the mental health issue are simply distracting from the real problem of guns, it’s a cop out.

A large portion of the country have a mental health problem (depending on how it’s defined), or have anger issues, or don’t cope well when things go wrong, or want revenge from a real or perceived injustice, etc. Are you going to treat them all, lock them up?

Obama passed legislation blocking 75,000 Americans on social assistance with from getting guns and Trump overturned it, fully supported by Republicans and the NRA.

The mental health issue is a red herring, another excuse to not try anything seriously.

That is quite the ignorant conclusion, given what we know of the mental health issues suffered by the majority of mass shooters.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Depends on the part of the country in which I live. In many places, having a fully armed neighborhood is going to dramatically increase the safety of my neighborhood.

I live on the outskirts of Milwaukee, nearly in the country. I do not live in a neighborhood, per se, but there are a lot of people who live around me. I can pretty much guarantee they are all packing. We have never had an issue with crime or accidents. I feel quite secure where I live.

You are confusing causation and correlation. There is absolutely zero in your post that connects high gun ownership with increased safety. I live in an incredibly safe suburban area. Hardly one has guns. The difference is that I pretend that gun ownership (or lack thereof) has a bearing on low crime.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Problem with your post is that overall crime has been dropping for decades, all while you endlessly complain about whatever you are ranting on (liberalism is what it sounds like).
In a thread about violent gun crime, discussing the causes of same seems reasonable, no?

Or maybe you define "rant" as any point contrary to yours.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
you may do as you wish but i would encourage you not to engage with the shit stain known as Halvard
I warred with this. But the idea of letting him (her?) imagine that his/her point was so full of win that it couldn't be countered, went down hard.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
i would very sadly agree with resigned

There are a whole host of interconnect issues going on here. The lead one of course is the violent act committed with a firearm. Surrounding that are: breakdown in family and values; media saturation; proliferation of firearms; mental illness; anger and alienation among young 'adult' males...

this is all aside from the VAST majority of gun violence which is inner city/drug/gang related. That's where the real #s are. But it doesn't sell TV time (see media saturation above)

You send your child off to school in the morning with the assumption you will see his/her smiling face that afternoon. How heartbreaking for these parents. How heartbreaking

Gangbanging is a real problem in Detroit. Drive-bys, score-settling, you name. It's a real issue in Chicago, too, from news reports (it seems to be confined to a relatively small patch of Chicago, as well). I kid that I've seen better neighborhoods in Beirut and then, later, in Mogadishu, when it comes to Detroit. But it sometimes really seems to be true, sadly enough.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
you may do as you wish but i would encourage you not to engage with the shit stain known as Halvard

I warred with this. But the idea of letting him (her?) imagine that his/her point was so full of win that it couldn't be countered, went down hard.

just go with shit stain and you'll feel better. A shit stain like this will conclude whatever they will conclude silence or not
Last edited by: ironmayb: Feb 16, 18 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basic fact is that I teach kids every day. Good kids, good parents, some problems. Reality has little to do with the amalgamation of talking points ("evil do-gooders, name-callers who prevent you personally from going after thugs, PC-isms which paralyzes you on a daily basis, dogs and cats sleeping together..."). Look, if your day-to-day existence is really like that, then you have my condolences for your shitty life. I would move from that area. However, I would guess that you are merely extracting that from the bile that has infected our national discourse. Take a walk, hug your family, connect with friends, go on a run, count your blessings.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Depends on the part of the country in which I live. In many places, having a fully armed neighborhood is going to dramatically increase the safety of my neighborhood.

I live on the outskirts of Milwaukee, nearly in the country. I do not live in a neighborhood, per se, but there are a lot of people who live around me. I can pretty much guarantee they are all packing. We have never had an issue with crime or accidents. I feel quite secure where I live.

You are confusing causation and correlation. There is absolutely zero in your post that connects high gun ownership with increased safety. I live in an incredibly safe suburban area. Hardly one has guns. The difference is that I pretend that gun ownership (or lack thereof) has a bearing on low crime.

I did not say that or mean to imply it. Dan asked whether I would feel better in a neighborhood where everyone was armed or no one was armed. The implication being, it is not safe to live in a neighborhood filled with Rambo wannabes because they may accidentally shoot themselves or others. My point in the last paragraph was that I live in a neighborhood where everyone is likely packing and we have never had a single incident. I do not feel secure because my (probably) armed neighbors are thwarting crime. I feel secure because my (probably) armed neighbors, by all accounts, are responsible gun owners.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.

The question that was asked by some serious thinkers yesterday was, are we even raising boys these days, or are we treating them more like problems in need of solving or, at best, an inconvenience to society? They're not allowed to be boys in school or in many other facets of life these days, they say. And with the absence of strong male authority figures in the lives of many of them, what's becoming of them as they exit adolescence and enter (legal) adulthood?

What's also weird is the first cited school shooter, back in January 1979, was a 16-year-old female. Since then, I think it's been 100-percent males.

Quoi? Cited by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...tes#Colonial_America

1779 would be closer, but those were actually Indians, not from Cleveland. There have been verified school shootings of the type we have now since the mid-1800s.

Aside from the gun debate, there has been school violence at a relatively steady rate since forever. Rapid rates of high powered fire serve to complicate the matter but this is not a new phenomenon and is not tied to the breakdown of the family, conservatism or liberalism.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Quoi? Cited by whom?

1779 would be closer, but those were actually Indians, not from Cleveland. There have been verified school shootings of the type we have now since the mid-1800s.

Aside from the gun debate, there has been school violence at a relatively steady rate since forever. Rapid rates of high powered fire serve to complicate the matter but this is not a new phenomenon and is not tied to the breakdown of the family, conservatism or liberalism.

Brenda "I Don't Like Mondays" Spencer isn't just a mass killer; she was the first of the American school shooters. Shooting up a school is a stunt that, like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, people tend to forget got its start with a woman, or, more accurately, a 16 year-old girl. Her crime, the Cleveland Elementary School shooting, happened on January 29, 1979, in San Diego. She killed the principal and a custodian with a .22 rifle and wounded eight children. Fortunately, no children died.

https://www.vice.com/...male-rampage-killers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bath Michigan

no evil black rifle involved. Just evil

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/...-massacre-180963355/

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel secure because my (probably) armed neighbors, by all accounts, are responsible gun owners.

Bingo. I served in the Army. I have been trained to kill people with different types of weapons. I am lucky that I have never had to. I do not own any weapons and live in an area where I do not perceive a need to own a weapon.

It seems to me that many people who are anti-gun ownership imbue guns with certain attributes, qualities, or abilities. I think they should be more concerned with the attributes, qualities, and abilities of their fellow citizens and how best to address deficiencies therein. They focus on the gun and ignore the user.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Quoi? Cited by whom?

Brenda "I Don't Like Mondays" Spencer isn't just a mass killer; she was the first of the American school shooters. Shooting up a school is a stunt that, like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, people tend to forget got its start with a woman, or, more accurately, a 16 year-old girl. Her crime, the Cleveland Elementary School shooting, happened on January 29, 1979, in San Diego. She killed the principal and a custodian with a .22 rifle and wounded eight children. Fortunately, no children died.

Vice can say what they want. It is just factually incorrect.

As Steve Hawley points out, the worst school violence is still Bath, and it was explosives, not guns.

How is this not similar to what we see now?
"As Allen Wamack, a 15-year-old boy, drove by a "Negro" school house, he called out "school butter." (an insult meaning a cobbing, or a whipping).[32] The school students ran out and attacked him, firing several shots at him, he returned fire hitting two students.[33]"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You should just be a man and own your comment for what it is.

When have I not owned what I said? I'm not editing it, or deleting it, or back pedelling and hiding from it, dancing around an apology without apologizing. I have tried to explain the thought and reasoning behind it. I did admit to you that, the timing of it immediately after the shooting was in poor taste, but nothing you have said, which I really do appreciate and take in to serious consideration, has compelled me to believe the comment itself is inaccurate or I was way off base, or disrespectful to the victims. You may find it in poor taste or lacking decency. Ok. Noted. Not sure what else I can do for you on this one.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Quoi? Cited by whom?

As Steve Hawley points out, the worst school violence is still Bath, and it was explosives, not guns.

"As Allen Wamack, a 15-year-old boy, drove by a "Negro" school house, he called out "school butter." (an insult meaning a cobbing, or a whipping).[32] The school students ran out and attacked him, firing several shots at him, he returned fire hitting two students.[33]"

You asked the question "Cited by whom." I answered your question. That is all.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
You should just be a man and own your comment for what it is.

When have I not owned what I said? I'm not editing it, or deleting it, or back pedelling and hiding from it, dancing around an apology without apologizing. I have tried to explain the thought and reasoning behind it. I did admit to you that, the timing of it immediately after the shooting was in poor taste, but nothing you have said, which I really do appreciate and take in to serious consideration, has compelled me to believe the comment itself is inaccurate or I was way off base, or disrespectful to the victims. You may find it in poor taste or lacking decency. Ok. Noted. Not sure what else I can do for you on this one.

Well, you are getting there ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
38 children killed. from a town of 300. think on that

Steve Hawley wrote:
Bath Michigan

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool.

I own 6 bikes, if I could afford them, I would own 17 bikes. Is that a problem? I'm not a gun owner, I believe there are major flaws in our gun laws, I don't understand the idea of owning a lot of guns, or even one gun, but I do understand the collector side of the equation. Most of the people I know who have many guns, most are for collecting or have been passed from one generation to another. I don't know anyone, I live in a gun crazy area, who has a lot of guns that has them because they believe they are more protected if they have them.

With all that being said, I do not believe weapons designed to shoot many bullets rapidly should be manufactured, much less owned. There are no practical uses, I'm aware of, where this type of weapon is necessary. There should be a clear red flag when a company decides to produce a weapon for the sole purpose of killing, or injuring, a lot of things fast.

But hey, fear sells so when that gang breaks into your house you can kill them all.

Do you believe that self-defense is a "practical use" for a firearm? Have you ever seen a video of a police shooting? How many rounds do they typically fire?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Quoi? Cited by whom?

You asked the question "Cited by whom." I answered your question. That is all.

Fair enough. Kids have been going back to school and shooting teachers and classmates for a very long time and at a relatively stable rate. It just kind of drives me nuts when people act like it is new.

The new part is how many deaths and injuries occur from each incident.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Dan, serious question. Do you have any gun experience? Many of the things you say about guns and ammo decry ignorance about both guns and ammunition. The ammo used in the olympics (.22) is not designed to inflict mass damage, true, but it is responsible for more deaths than any other caliber... I think you are a great guy, but I also think you are speaking from a very inexperienced position about something you know little about. :-)

to be clear: other than the fact that i am a (shot)gun owner, i'm no expert. and, i don't know that i brought up hollowpoints, did i? i simply said the following, i think (tho please feel free to use my own words against me):

1. guns should eventually (in some sort of phased method) be keyed to their owners (not operable without a biosignature), so that we're there in 10 or 20 years.
2. guns and accessories (magazines, stocks) designed primarily to kill people should be outlawed.
3. we need to admit that a large number of people feel they need to be armed so as to fight their anti-government insurrection (just look at the polling) and one would like to see responsible gun owners distance themselves from this.
4. if ammunition is designed and purchased for the purpose of inflicting damage on human beings, it should be outlawed. i'm content to hear law enforcement's view on this. i think you and i can agree that:
a) i'm not the expert.
b) law enforcement are the experts.

i can also say the following, with some confidence: if we keep doing what we're doing (nothing) we'll keep getting what we're getting.

so, there you go. that's my view. i don't feel one needs to be an expert in armaments or ballistics to hold this view in a responsible and informed manner.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
People who use the mental health issue are simply distracting from the real problem of guns, it’s a cop out.

A large portion of the country have a mental health problem (depending on how it’s defined), or have anger issues, or don’t cope well when things go wrong, or want revenge from a real or perceived injustice, etc. Are you going to treat them all, lock them up?

Obama passed legislation blocking 75,000 Americans on social assistance with from getting guns and Trump overturned it, fully supported by Republicans and the NRA.

The mental health issue is a red herring, another excuse to not try anything seriously.

That is quite the ignorant conclusion, given what we know of the mental health issues suffered by the majority of mass shooters.

Your lack of understanding of statistics and correlation/causation is amazing.

Think about this (real facts): probably close to 100% of those complaining about knee pain will be found to have damage in their knees. Is their pain from the damage, and they need surgery?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
38 children killed. from a town of 300. think on that

Steve Hawley wrote:
Bath Michigan

And his explosives set for the other side of the school did not go off. They were discovered in the aftermath. Something failed in the timer for them.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Your lack of understanding of statistics and correlation/causation is amazing.

Think about this (real facts): probably close to 100% of those complaining about knee pain will be found to have damage in their knees. Is their pain from the damage, and they need surgery?

It is stunning to me how the Donkeys want to put the blame on the device and not the individual. We have a serious problem with mental health in this country. For far too long, we unjustly institutionalized individuals, robbing them of their basic independent rights. So, when we finally came out of the dark ages, we went overboard in the opposite direction and are so hellbent on "protecting" the patient that we turn a blind eye to the danger they pose. You are in that group. Congratulations for being part of the problem.

Quote Reply

Prev Next