Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
tritimmy wrote:
Dan, serious question. Do you have any gun experience? Many of the things you say about guns and ammo decry ignorance about both guns and ammunition. The ammo used in the olympics (.22) is not designed to inflict mass damage, true, but it is responsible for more deaths than any other caliber.

Some of your arguments and comments about guns and ammo would not be dissimilar to me trying to argue with you about bicycles and their many facets. With your type-a personality, I think if you ever had the chance to learn marksmanship and the ins n outs of reloading, long range shooting, and the skill it takes to hunt certain animals...you would love it. Much like the skills for proper bike fitting/set up/build it is a skill that takes much time and effort and is very fun/challenging/intriguing.

Before retiring two months ago, I was a law enforcement officer in SoCal. If you asked me, based on all the terrible things I saw over those 27 years what I would address first, guns or alcohol, I'd reply "alcohol" without even thinking about it. Did I see lots of carnage from guns? yes, mostly in the form of suicides though although I saw quite a few gun homicides. But.......the carnage from alcohol though....oh my gosh...in the form of innocent lives killed by drunk drivers to families and lives left decimated by it. Just my opinion and my experiences....no stats....alcohol was exponentially worse.

Do I think we could pass some better laws? Yes. If you can't drink till you're 21 then how about not being able to purchase a gun until you are 21? There's one for starters (although that one needs to leave some room for obviously being able to shoot/hunt under supervision etc). But at the same time,,,,easy access to alcohol, drugs, lack of parenting and many other things have been much more devastating to our kids than guns.....but I'm not downplaying these shootings either so please don't twist my words. I'm just purely speaking from experience. I think you are a great guy, but I also think you are speaking from a very inexperienced position about something you know little about. :-)

I'm with you all the way about the devastation wrought by alcohol, sir. It's an observation I tangentially alluded to over in the "Bahhhh, medical science" thread about pot. I remarked that I scratch my head over our acceptance and legalization of alcohol and tobacco, both of which are proven killers (tobacco usually over a much longer timeline, admittedly), versus how a majority may conceive of marijuana (and I'm not advocate for dope, either, believe me).

Alcohol and alcoholism creates practically a society-wrecking phenomenon. Violence, domestic (and child) violence, billions annually lost in productivity, shortened lifespans, huge medical costs... you name it. Far, far more than all the gun violence in US history combined, I'd hazard a guess.

It's acceptable Big K because "they" drink alcohol as well. If "they" didn't drink alcohol (just like they don't own guns) then "they" would be on the same soap box about alcohol that they are on about guns! -----Over 1,000 kids under the age of 21 killed by drunk drivers in 2016. What are we hearing about that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rum buggery and the lash

now

back to confiscatory gun control to solve our Nation's ills!

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
of course you know that the hollow point boat tail bullet (yes bullet) has superior ballistics relative to a solid tip projectile? it carries further and truer. It's that physics shit. Nothing to do with rendering flesh (human, deer, elk, moose (sorry BLEP), etc.

Do police chiefs and unions feel that way, in general? Across the US? If so, I’m happy to concede the point. I’ll let you tell me what guns and ammo should be illegal.

Police Chiefs, Sheriffs,and unions don't really feel any way about certain kinds of bullets. Why do you think that is Dan?

I remember the Detroit police and many other big-city departments had restrictions on the kinds of sidearms they were issued as well as the amount of powder (how many grains) their rounds could contain.

One of my DPD uncles used to call the .38 revolver he carried a "rinky dink" gun and that bad guys wouldn't even break stride after being shot with one, as they were running away. I was never sure he was playing with me or not.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Third: Fine, so what "serious" gun reform/ gun control measures would work, short of a complete and total confiscation of firearms?

Keep in mind the political question and the fact that the Democrats, at any point from 2009 to 2011, could have instituted a raft of gun reform measures, but failed to do so. Why is that, do you think?

States are putting forth a whole raft of laws short of confiscation (waiting periods, age limits,...). The biggest one is banning the sale of semi-automatic rifles (SCOTUS has let it slide thus far). This will continue. If the past is any guide, gun-related deaths will decline with ownership levels, and red states won't care.

The reason for doing nothing at the national level in 2009 is that it was a losing proposition in a host of red states/districts which Dems had just barely won (that "Blue Dog" majority was a temporary aberration). The continued division of this country led to their ouster in the next election. In the wake of multiple mass shootings and continued erosion of gun culture, support for gun reform laws is increasing, and it is likely to continue for the next decades.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
rum buggery and the lash

now

back to confiscatory gun control to solve our Nation's ills!

Yeah, I never did understand the buggery-and-lash thing. ;-)

"Buggery on the High Seas" (Cheech and Chong: "Pedro and Man at the Drive-In")

http://www.divetalking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/10312010ReturnFromDive.mp3

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
klehner wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

Tony is on the right track in pointing towards a break down in values within our culture; a breakdown of families; a deliberate blurring of what's right and what's wrong.

Why has that breakdown occurred in the US, alone of all countries in the world?

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9444417/gun-violence-united-states-america

https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/out-wedlock-births-rise-worldwide

I dunno. Comparing US single-parent homes with their counterparts in foreign cultures sounds iffy. I'd argue that the issue of imprinting decent values into a kid has a strong cultural component. Not only does the kid learn values from their surrounding culture, but that culture has a strong impact on how the parent teaches the kid those same values. It's pretty well established that (US) single-parent homes have a much higher % of problem kids then two-parent homes.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=167327

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Halvard wrote:
klehner wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

Tony is on the right track in pointing towards a break down in values within our culture; a breakdown of families; a deliberate blurring of what's right and what's wrong.

I dunno. Comparing US single-parent homes with their counterparts in foreign cultures sounds iffy. I'd argue that the issue of imprinting decent values into a kid has a strong cultural component. Not only does the kid learn values from their surrounding culture, but that culture has a strong impact on how the parent teaches the kid those same values. It's pretty well established that (US) single-parent homes have a much higher % of problem kids then two-parent homes.

From what I understand, Iceland is rife with single-mother households and yet there aren't school shootings happening. So what gives here in the US? Is it indeed supposed easy access to guns or does the problem run deeper than that, on a cultural level? Is it a mix of both, even?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you may do as you wish but i would encourage you not to engage with the shit stain known as Halvard

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
It's acceptable Big K because "they" drink alcohol as well. If "they" didn't drink alcohol (just like they don't own guns) then "they" would be on the same soap box about alcohol that they are on about guns! -----Over 1,000 kids under the age of 21 killed by drunk drivers in 2016. What are we hearing about that?

^^^^ This.

The impact of alcohol abuse on society is far greater than the impact of firearms. However, I am opposed to banning alcohol for the same reason I oppose banning guns. We tried it and it just didn't work out and actually created a black market. Why would we think that banning guns would have any different outcome than banning alcohol then, or drugs now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below, murder-by-gun midway through 2016. According to Time Magazine, gun-related homicides (a slightly broader term) for 2016 ended up at 11,000 for the year. That's more than the 9,600 that occurred in 2015.

(NOTE: Disregard the red outlines around the causes of death. The original graphic I found featured that, not me. I don't mean to draw any ideological conclusions about causes of death, other than to state the number of murders by gun in 2016.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
you may do as you wish but i would encourage you not to engage with the shit stain known as Halvard

"Shit Stain?" That was too nice! That does not win you the post of the day mister! C'mon,,,you can surely do better than that! I have a couple in mind, but fear they will relegate me to Duffy status if I type them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is suicide?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Ever wonder why shootings are predominantly by males and not females? I think its the way we raise boys these days.

The question that was asked by some serious thinkers yesterday was, are we even raising boys these days, or are we treating them more like problems in need of solving or, at best, an inconvenience to society? They're not allowed to be boys in school or in many other facets of life these days, they say. And with the absence of strong male authority figures in the lives of many of them, what's becoming of them as they exit adolescence and enter (legal) adulthood?

What's also weird is the first cited school shooter, back in January 1979, was a 16-year-old female. Since then, I think it's been 100-percent males.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Where is suicide?

Suicide is an issue in and of itself, and if we're going to include suicide-by-gun in causes of death I think we'd seriously skew the perception of gun violence. A person intent on actually committing suicide will use most any convenient means at his/her disposal, as we found out with Robin Williams, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington these last couple of years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You grabbed that graphic from Romans322.com? Yecch ;).

I have no problem connecting high suicide rates with high gun ownership levels, it is a small but inescapable aspect of "gun culture" and it has played out in multiple ways in my family.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

"Shit Stain?" That was too nice! That does not win you the post of the day mister! C'mon,,,you can surely do better than that! I have a couple in mind, but fear they will relegate me to Duffy status if I type them.

I applaud your ardency
Last edited by: ironmayb: Feb 16, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
You grabbed that graphic from Romans322.com? Yecch ;).

No, I grabbed it from Google Images, and I actually chopped off the more inflammatory sections of it (you probably have seen the original :-). But I double-checked the gun homicides stat and it checks out. It was just a visual-enough projection to place on the thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Where is suicide?

As far as I can tell in 2015 the number of Homicide Firearm Deaths was 12,979

The number of suicide deaths by fire arm was 22,018

These numbers are from Center for Disease control and prevention.
You can find the database here https://webappa.cdc.gov/...c/mortrate10_us.html
It is a nice tool to get to raw data.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
307trout wrote:
What exactly is the difference? FMJ vs. hollow point? I don't think the FMJ is really much of a safety measure. Is range ammo less dangerous? Humans are small critters with light skin... Trying to clarify.

i'm no expert. i just think ammo designed to inflict max damage on flesh is a problem. i don't think the rounds they're shooting in winter biathlon are designed to tumble once inside my body.

Oh come on. The rounds they and rifles they are using in the winter biathlon are not even designed for hunting (except, perhaps, very small game, but they would not use that type of rifle).

A hollow point round serves two purposes. 1) It inflicts the most damage to stop the individual trying to harm you. 2) It fractures upon impact to prevent a through-and-through which could result in harm to others aside from the intended target. These are legit and logical reasons for a hollow point round (as an example).

As to .223/5.56 rounds, an individual who is not wearing protective gear would suffer the same injury from a FMJ round or an armor piercing round.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
that folks on both sides of the gun control issue are here on this little microcosm discussion is proof that no one is 'content' with kids getting killed. Excepting Halvard of course--she seems happy with it as long as they are USA kids

What's the word you'd use for those who are not willing to do anything *meaningful* to change the status quo? We know "happy" is wrong, and you are saying "content" is not it, either. What's the word? "Resigned"?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
Halvard wrote:
klehner wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

From what I understand, Iceland is rife with single-mother households and yet there aren't school shootings happening. So what gives here in the US? Is it indeed supposed easy access to guns or does the problem run deeper than that, on a cultural level? Is it a mix of both, even?
Single-parent home, doesn't have to be "by definition" a universal disaster. Our single-parent homes are a disaster and there's aren't. We've got some screwed up cultural shit going on. But we can't really go after that sort of thing because we're freaked out about isms. If we go after the causes of black thugs, we're racist. If we go after the causes of hispanic or asian thugs, we're racist. If we go after white-redneck thugs, we're insufficiently sympathetic towards the underprivileged. It's become so important to us to be "sensitive" and non-judgmental, that it's paralyzed us.

I'm reminded of an earlier post where someone said that anyone who beats a kid shouldn't have a firearm. I immediately thought of the various do-gooder incidents that keep cropping up where mom gets arrested at the mall for whacking little Billy in the ass. There is mom trying to teach her kid to behave in a society that would try to interfere with her developing a nice, considerate kid.

Raising a kid to be kind and respectful of others, 99% of the time, isn't rocket science. We should be looking at the cultures that are raising low percentages of thugs and figuring out what they are doing right. I bet the statistics re. gangs of Jewish boys running around robbing stores and beating up bystanders are pretty low. That's probably not genetic.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
That's a different discussion. But, it too is not as simple as you want to make it. Is there a legitimate/reasonable reason for a civilian to have armor piercing 5.56 rounds? Probably not. But, there are legit/reasonable reasons to have hollow-point rounds, which are designed and manufactured specifically to destroy humans.

i think this is precisely the discussion. the legal "remedies" i've listed in this thread do not include in any way limiting the number of guns you own. they do include keying your guns to you; and they include a ban on guns and ammunition that are designed to destroy human life. (if you don't want to hunt with a round that destroys animal flesh, why do you want that round to destroy human flesh?)

You are going to hurt yourself moving those goal posts so often.

I do not hunt. But, I do want a round that will stop an attacker and do so in a safe manner. A hollow point round fractures upon impact. So, if I miss the would-be assailant and hit a wall, it the round will fracture, rather than go through the wall and potentially harm someone else. If I hit the would-be assailant, it will much more likely stop the individual and, more importantly, the round will not go through him and potentially harm an unintended target. You absolutely want hollow-point rounds, especially for home defense.

Slowman wrote:
yes, it's true, some of what i'm advocating is going to inconvenience you. i think you have to decide between your inconvenience (you can't buy hollowpoints) in order to not have a societal moodswing that forecloses on many more of your current rights.
It isn't an inconvenience, it is a safety issue. What you want to do is force me to use more dangerous ammunition. Why?

Slowman wrote:
would you rather live on a street on which none of your neighbors owned guns? or on a street where all your neighbors owned 15 guns, including "tactical" weapons and devices, and armor piercing bullets or hollowpoints? mind, you have no say-so on who those neighbors are. it's just your garden variety AR-15 owners. how comfortable are you that none are of the nut variety?

Depends on the part of the country in which I live. In many places, having a fully armed neighborhood is going to dramatically increase the safety of my neighborhood.

I live on the outskirts of Milwaukee, nearly in the country. I do not live in a neighborhood, per se, but there are a lot of people who live around me. I can pretty much guarantee they are all packing. We have never had an issue with crime or accidents. I feel quite secure where I live.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would very sadly agree with resigned

There are a whole host of interconnect issues going on here. The lead one of course is the violent act committed with a firearm. Surrounding that are: breakdown in family and values; media saturation; proliferation of firearms; mental illness; anger and alienation among young 'adult' males...

this is all aside from the VAST majority of gun violence which is inner city/drug/gang related. That's where the real #s are. But it doesn't sell TV time (see media saturation above)

You send your child off to school in the morning with the assumption you will see his/her smiling face that afternoon. How heartbreaking for these parents. How heartbreaking

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem with your post is that overall crime has been dropping for decades, all while you endlessly complain about whatever you are ranting on (liberalism is what it sounds like).
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 11:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next