Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*claps hands and rubs them together* Alrighty then.

Lets get to work crafting some laws making it illegal to kill folks with guns. What you're proposing is more control; more laws; more restrictions. And, as has been pointed out, only the law abiding will abide

Tony is on the right track in pointing towards a break down in values within our culture; a breakdown of families; a deliberate blurring of what's right and what's wrong.

As JSA points out (repeatedly) we've plenty of good laws and procedures that are just not followed/enforced.

So if u want to get to work? start with enforcing existing laws and procedures and not trying to enact more California confiscatory legislation.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

If you really want to stop gun violence,

stop f***ing buying guns and ammo. Laws won't do it, background checks won't do it, reducing violence in movies and video games won't do it. If the people stop f***ing buying guns and ammo, the violence will stop. Not in my lifetime perhaps, but in the lifetimes of my kids.

There is a way we can stop drunk driving as well ...

Terrible analogy. Last I checked, alcohol isn't sold to kill people.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
moderator's edit: sorry. no. we've been through this before. i'm unwilling to let this forum turn into the classifieds for those hunting for ammo. leave if you need to, but no can do that here.

See, the world is already safer.

I know I feel safer, too. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

stop f***ing buying guns and ammo. Laws won't do it, background checks won't do it, reducing violence in movies and video games won't do it. If the people stop f***ing buying guns and ammo, the violence will stop. Not in my lifetime perhaps, but in the lifetimes of my kids.

no question that violence between men will stop once the guns are gone

Who said the violence will stop? Nice deflection.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
moderator's edit: sorry. no. we've been through this before. i'm unwilling to let this forum turn into the classifieds for those hunting for ammo. leave if you need to, but no can do that here.

That's fine with me, Dan. It's your site and your rules. I have no problem with that.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Tony is on the right track in pointing towards a break down in values within our culture; a breakdown of families; a deliberate blurring of what's right and what's wrong.

Why has that breakdown occurred in the US, alone of all countries in the world?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So they're like the Koch Brothers, then. Or Priorities USA? Or People for the American Way? Good to know. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Terrible analogy. Last I checked, alcohol isn't sold to kill people.

Really? Because it accounts for in excess of 100,000 death in the US per year, so, it is doing a pretty good job at it. Nearly ten times better than guns.

How about tobacco then?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Feb 16, 18 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
klehner wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Well played
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken

I don't think it's confined to the USA--it's just in our face here because of overwhelming media. I think the family breakdown is prevalent throughout western society at a epidemic level. Now when you go to places like Vietnam i've found they still value and revere family. Very odd. Can't explain it. But i personally think--as Tony points out--it's a big contributing factor to the anger and alienation that drives a lot of these killings

IMO

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
cknoxpRTR wrote:
[I'm sure this has been posted before, but this article does a pretty good job of explaining why the Australia gun reform will not work in the US.

http://thefederalist.com/...gun-control-fallacy/

can you point me to the article in the federalist that shows what gun reform will work in the US?

So you see this as a problem that can be solved by gun control/reform. I would remove gun control from the discussion (not this discussion, but the greater discussion taking place) and instead focus on how to prevent this from happening from a security standpoint (accepting that the guns are out there and not going anywhere).

In the broader context, it's very hard to take any politician seriously on this subject as whenever these shooting happen, they all rush to condemn the evil AR weapon and the need for an assault weapons ban (Diane F. has hers ready to go, she tweeted about it), but very little is ever said about handguns which account overwhelmingly for the gun deaths in this country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You also give your feelings away when you say "necessary social change." Good luck, as well, convincing most folks not in a blue state -- and especially those not in California -- that "necessary social change" should occur as regards guns. It's simply not going to happen in our lifetimes, and I doubt in the lifetimes of our children or grandchildren.

It is happening throughout the the Northeast AND in mid-Atlantic states, AND the left coast, AND many urban areas in otherwise red states. Gun ownership is plummeting in virtually all blue areas, and only holding steady in red areas.The laws will follow those trends. Judging from my facebook feed, these opposing trends are going to accelerate, and will certainly cause major changes by the time my grandkids reach my age. Firearm deaths track gun ownership extremely closely, and twisting and ignoring that fact is frankly alienating most folks in the major population centers of this country.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So, is he hurting himself or others by doing that? And is he on his private property?

I know private property rights are an alien concept to much of the world (and wonder of wonders, we here in the US still allow private property owners to control the mineral and water rights on their land, to a large extent -- though California's a bit iffy on that, when it comes to water, of course ;-), but they're still in effect in the US.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

Why has that breakdown occurred in the US, alone of all countries in the world?

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9444417/gun-violence-united-states-america

https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/out-wedlock-births-rise-worldwide

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Ken

I don't think it's confined to the USA--it's just in our face here because of overwhelming media. I think the family breakdown is prevalent throughout western society at a epidemic level.

Yet alone in the US is there an epidemic level of gun violence (and mass killings in general). So why does this breakdown lead to mass killings in the US and not elsewhere?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

So, is he hurting himself or others by doing that? And is he on his private property?

I know private property rights are an alien concept to much of the world (and wonder of wonders, we here in the US still allow private property owners to control the mineral and water rights on their land, to a large extent -- though California's a bit iffy on that, when it comes to water, of course ;-), but they're still in effect in the US.

you know, if he is not going to get banned for his vile statements (and I'm not necessarily advocating he should be), and he's not going to back up and apologize for them (which I am advocating he should), then I would advocate you don't legitimize his posting to himself presence here.

Just my 2 cents

there are plenty of other people on the other side of your argument here to engage with. I am enjoying the intellectual give and take on a tough issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
That's a different discussion. But, it too is not as simple as you want to make it. Is there a legitimate/reasonable reason for a civilian to have armor piercing 5.56 rounds? Probably not. But, there are legit/reasonable reasons to have hollow-point rounds, which are designed and manufactured specifically to destroy humans.

i think this is precisely the discussion. the legal "remedies" i've listed in this thread do not include in any way limiting the number of guns you own. they do include keying your guns to you; and they include a ban on guns and ammunition that are designed to destroy human life. (if you don't want to hunt with a round that destroys animal flesh, why do you want that round to destroy human flesh?)

yes, it's true, some of what i'm advocating is going to inconvenience you. i think you have to decide between your inconvenience (you can't buy hollowpoints) in order to not have a societal moodswing that forecloses on many more of your current rights.

would you rather live on a street on which none of your neighbors owned guns? or on a street where all your neighbors owned 15 guns, including "tactical" weapons and devices, and armor piercing bullets or hollowpoints? mind, you have no say-so on who those neighbors are. it's just your garden variety AR-15 owners. how comfortable are you that none are of the nut variety?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
What exactly is the difference? FMJ vs. hollow point? I don't think the FMJ is really much of a safety measure. Is range ammo less dangerous? Humans are small critters with light skin... Trying to clarify.

i'm no expert. i just think ammo designed to inflict max damage on flesh is a problem. i don't think the rounds they're shooting in winter biathlon are designed to tumble once inside my body.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cknoxpRTR wrote:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but this article does a pretty good job of explaining why the Australia gun reform will not work in the US.

http://thefederalist.com/...gun-control-fallacy/

Good find.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

You're seriously defending this idiot's right to fire rounds on a range he built in his front yard in a residential neighbourhood?

Legal or not, that's the kind of dismissive attitude that might make people think you're not really serious about entertaining any discussion around "common-sense gun laws", because this situation certainly doesn't scream "common-sense".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i applaud your ardency. but not the implications of your speech. i don't think anyone here is happy that our country's children are getting killed. even those of us in the US who advocate for legislative remedies recognize that those on the other side hold their views on goodwill.

please recognize that. what i value most on this forum is civility toward each other, not advocacy of a particular political position.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of course you know that the hollow point boat tail bullet (yes bullet) has superior ballistics relative to a solid tip projectile? it carries further and truer. It's that physics shit. Nothing to do with rendering flesh (human, deer, elk, moose (sorry BLEP), etc.

Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next