Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
If we would do something down here about addressing the crazies (not meant pejoratively when it comes to people with mental health issues) there wouldn't have been this tragedy in the first place.

3 percent of americans own 50 percent of america's guns. i think a lot of your crazies are going to be found in that cohort. it's not the ownership of a dozen semi-auto long guns with bump stocks (paddock), it's the culture that causes him to want to own them.

have you ever thought that a culture that deifies guns is what animates and energizes the crazies you want to address?

Why do you think that owning 17 guns makes a person more dangerous than a person owning 2? There's no evidence of that and it has been suggested that the "super owners" may actually be safer.

I'm not sure what the last sentence is trying to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or taken their child to Church. You know. Religion being another form of mental illness.

after all there is only one true religion. Global Warmring

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
If we would do something down here about addressing the crazies (not meant pejoratively when it comes to people with mental health issues) there wouldn't have been this tragedy in the first place.

3 percent of americans own 50 percent of america's guns. i think a lot of your crazies are going to be found in that cohort. it's not the ownership of a dozen semi-auto long guns with bump stocks (paddock), it's the culture that causes him to want to own them.

have you ever thought that a culture that deifies guns is what animates and energizes the crazies you want to address?

Ok so the problem is the 3%'s who own 50% of the guns? It's rather interesting that that statistic comes up here.

First - Consider the source. Harvard / Northeastern. That's like someone asking you to trust an NRA study that says more guns makes us more safer (improper grammar is on purpose).

Second - the OP and tragedy from this week was from a 19 year old lunatic with 1AR (per the USA today quote above). Not a 3%'er who is the problem like you imply.

FYI: A lot of folks would take umbrage at you equating 'responsible gun owners' and their 'culture' with the Harvey Weinsteins of the world (serial rapists and abusers). While that's clearly how you view gun owners, I would not say it's accurate or fair. As the Lois Beckett interview on NPR concerning the study above indicates...generally speaking the deeper the collection (especially NFA stuff) the more responsible/law abiding the gun collector.

FYI2: When you say "us" as in your earlier posts, you're not speaking for an unspoken majority of moderate people who want to discuss common sense gun regulations. You are speaking on behalf of ultra radical Californians who think all non bio-metric guns (which wouldn't have stopped the dipshit from this week) should go away. It actually makes rational conversation much, much more difficult.

Question for you - why don't leading national Democratic candidates come out and ask for the same things you claim are 'common sense' like banning/confiscation of AR's and 30 round mags? Methinks it's because it would cost them national elections because most Americans disagree with them. See Colorado's state legislature for purple state-based evidence.

Question for the entire thread...which has been ignored by previous posters: What is one common sense gun policy that should be passed? I'll suggest one: Universal Background checks with fingerprints. As a compromise and to get the NRA folks on board, make sure it's 'instant' and make suppressors have an 'instant' background check as well instead of the 1 year+ process. While this may sound radical to folks like slowman, suppressors are actually mandated in parts of Europe for safety reasons. This would pass easily and move US regulation more towards European firearm regulation. Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

So are you agreeing with Trump's bill?

You do know, or maybe you don't as your not very bright, that this regulation was opposed by the ACLU, numerous disability groups and the NRA as it is a clear violation of the 4th amendment. False reporting such as this or "18 School shootings this year" contribute greatly to the lack of honest discussion and prevent any real progress moving forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
For another, we also won't tell folks what to do or how to behave when in "polite society." Parental authority -- or simply even adult authority -- is almost nonexistent, from the looks of things. When I was a boy in the 1960s and early 1970s, you listened to and obeyed the directives you were given by adults, including teachers , neighbors and so forth, or you faced clear consequences, starting with those dealt out by a father and/or mother. Which brings me to the disintegration of the so-called "nuclear family."

It seems that since the mid-90s about every societal parameter you look at has been getting better (including juvenile crime). I have no idea how that correlates with the status of the nuclear family in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Slowman wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I pointed out last night that the percentage of gun ownership has greatly declined over the past 35 years but that guns are concentrated in the hands of fewer people. Ceteris parabus, it seems that it's a wash when it comes to this particular aspect.

You made my point about culture for me, though, perhaps without realizing it. (Or, in my opinion, the lack of a civilizing culture complete with the institutions that used to enforce such civilizing influences.)

What's really changed over the last last half-century, or at least since the mid-1970s? It seems to me that it's the lack of bonds and boundaries within our culture that used to act to head-off, preempt or otherwise prevent such mindless gun violence, especially when it comes to school shootings. For one, we won't address the serious failings in our mental health system, including a lack of resources targeted at the issue in the first place.

For another, we also won't tell folks what to do or how to behave when in "polite society." Parental authority -- or simply even adult authority -- is almost nonexistent, from the looks of things. When I was a boy in the 1960s and early 1970s, you listened to and obeyed the directives you were given by adults, including teachers , neighbors and so forth, or you faced clear consequences, starting with those dealt out by a father and/or mother. Which brings me to the disintegration of the so-called "nuclear family."

Adam Lanza (the Sandy Hook) shooter? Mother and no father or other adult male influence. He shot his mother first before going on his kill spree.

This shooter? Father died years ago, mother on her own. No adult male influence in the family unit. Mother died not long ago.

What's the rate of single-parent households in this country these days? Probably greater than it was in the 1960s, is my initial guess (I promise to research that further and report back any findings).

It seems to me that we as a society used to preach, and enforce, self-control rather than gun control. Do we even do so nowadays? Hard to tell, if you ask me.

So, instead of acting as stewards of a collective culture, we abrogate our responsibilities when it comes to kids and instead institute a multiplicity of gun laws an increasingly depraved citizenry -- which lacks the cultural governor switches we used to instill in each person -- won't obey. And, as I've said, short of complete and total confiscation of privately owned guns (not happening anytime in the foreseeable future, sir), what we're left with is pretty much the status quo. Lots of talk, little action and absolutely no desire to address what seems to be the true issues causing the rot that's leading to these school shootings.

it seems to me you're trying to deflect this off of a gun problem, and onto a breakdown of the family problem. this is a gun problem. i've seen the gun worship right here on this forum. if you want to deal with tobacco, opioids, or guns, yes, we can all decry the breakdown of the traditional family. but you're frantically trying to hold up mental health as the shiny object while not mentioning the role of industry. name me a social ill, i'll show you industry making money off it. gun makers are making darned sure that gun worshipers continue their worship; and that everyone be allowed to engage in gun worship.

what were you going to do with this kid? when he was a kid? throw him in jail? for what? yes, this kid had problems. he also had every right on his 18th birthday to buy an assault rifle. how about curtailing that as an intervention?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
As Steve Hawley and I have observed, there were plenty of guns around when we were growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, and plenty of violence on TV as TV westerns and cop shows amply demonstrated. There were even shooting clubs in schools. Yet no one was picking up a gun and shooting up those same schools.

What's changed since those days? That's a question we need to be asking of ourselves, because it sure seems to me that we've greatly loosened or even eliminated the civilizing bonds that once used to serve to prevent these tragedies.

The problem with absolute statements is that they seldom hold up. I recall 1966, Charles Whitman killing over a dozen and wounding several dozen from the Univ of Texas tower.

Off hand, what's changed. Probably the proliferation of semi-automatic, high capacity weapons. I don't recall the gun Whitman used, but probably a hunting rifle.

I think it has simply become a cultural meme in the U.S. that largely started with Whitman that when you're pissed off at society or your work, etc. and want to get back at them that getting a gun and taking them out is one option.

Once it's out there, I don't think anyone knows how you stop it. It's the U.S. version of running amok.

Bob Geldof's most famous song is "I Don't Like Mondays." He wrote it in response to the Cleveland Elementary School shooting -- carried out by 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spengler (a female, and a very rare bird among schools shooters, almost all of whom are males) on January 29, 1979. That day, Spengler opened fire with a .22 rifle on the school, killing the principal and janitor and wounding 8 children and a police officer. When asked why she did it, she replied "I don't like Mondays."

Spengler is cited as the first of the true school shooters. She's also maintained that she wanted to commit suicide-by-cop -- having tried to kill herself several times in the year prior to the shooting -- and fired on the school because she knew the police response would be overwhelming and she'd likely be killed in an exchange of gunfire with the cops.

Again, there seems a mental health aspect here. Unfortunately, these shootings invariably end up being captured by one side or the other and used to push their own agendas, not address either the common availability of firearms or their use by people who clearly should never have been allowed to purchase or own them in the first place. Until we can fix the disconnect in that equation we're not going to be able to truly stop gun violence of this sort.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

BK, I wasn't actually proposing a solution, but making a point, that neither side will compromise. So if a bill to pay for 10 Armed guards were placed in each school and we banned, the BD3234s gun were to try to be passed, it would get no support cause the Liberals don't want armed schools and the conservatives dont want their gun touched. Stat's figure ect.. don't matter. If stopping these types of events were really important we would have gotten it done in the 19yrs since Columbine. I'll keep saying it WE DONT CARE. JSA can rattle off all his gun stat's they don't matter, neither side thinks this is enough of an issue to move an inch. Pretty sure we still don't have a law banning Bump stops. We can't even get that done. JUST ANOTHER DAY IN AMERICA.

The fact that you are too ignorant to see that the stats matter show that you are the biggest part of the problem.

Funniest thing about this entire debate JSA, I don't give a shit about gun rights, own an RPG or a fully automatic if you want, Personally I don't give a shit one way or another. But your banter, makes for some good entertainment.

I know you don’t. But I enjoy watching you put your ignorance on full display.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should just be a man and own your comment for what it is.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My uncle who blew his brains out was a "super user". My dad was too. He was also an alcoholic (and a loving dad). When his demons took hold of him, he would sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow. We confronted him when we found out. Eventually he came to terms with it, and relied less on that. The only other uses that I have experience with was domestic violence, a workplace shooting and a couple other suicides. That is why I don't parse violent crime vs. other deaths by firearms.

The only thing that I've discovered in this thread is how closely overall gun deaths correlate with gun ownership. I knew that violent crime correlated with poverty, and didn't tend to correlate with gun ownership. It is sobering to see how suicide rates correlate with gun ownership. I hadn't given it much thought.

1 Wyoming 28.24
2 Alaska 26.83
3 Montana 25.25
4 New Mexico 23.53
5 Utah 22.42
6 Idaho 22.19
7 South Dakota 20.57
8 Oklahoma 20.42
9 Colorado 19.46
10 Arkansas .....
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

It seems that since the mid-90s about every societal parameter you look at has been getting better (including juvenile crime). I have no idea how that correlates with the status of the nuclear family in the U.S.

DOJ statistics back up that there's been a remarkable drop in violent crime since the mid-1990s, and both sides postulate various reasons for why this is so. We are actually living in a safer era than we were when I was a teen in the 1970s and a young adult in the 1980s, no doubt about it.

My point is that school shootings -- as a standalone facet of violent crime -- seem to be on the rise and it's not simply because of access to "semi-automatic, high-capacity" firearms.

There's something wrong with our culture, something that wasn't "wrong," back when we were all watching Dragnet or any other random cop show on TV, or watching war movies and Clint Eastwood shoot-em-up westerns in the theaters, all bloody to the Nth degree, back in that same era. It's removed the safeguards that used to be instilled within us, and the formal safeguards society used to maintain and watch over that preempted these shooters before they could do their deeds.

I believe it's a breakdown of the family unit, for one, though that isn't the only reason. From A to Z, we as a society now seem to not be willing to ensure kids growing up don't simply pick up a firearm and go to town on those they believe have wronged them. We either drug kids too much, or we won't drug them at all or bring them in for mental health screening, which is another issue.

All of these issues became especially noticeable in the aftermath of Columbine in 1999, I think.

We aren't going to get rid of guns. That's simply not possible from a societal, cultural or legal stance. So what do we do to ensure guns aren't used for purposes such as we've just seen, yet again?

Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 16, 18 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Ok so the problem is the 3%'s who own 50% of the guns?

is it? i don't know. interesting idea. but not mine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

I actually agree with this Police Chief--it's a matter of priorities. With a criminal justice system that is already back logged and prisons that are already beyond capacity, it has not been a priority to go after those that have lied on their background checks. To me (and apparently those in law enforcement across the country) there is a huge difference between a felon who is actually in possession of a firearm, and one who lies on a background check. As Flynn stated, they make gun cases--lots of them. You hear it in the news all the time when felons are caught with firearms they get charged with unlawful possession and they do prison time. And there are firearm enhancements to sentences that get applied regularly.

So I don't think that we can just end the discussion on gun control by cherry-picking this one example and saying "But, but, we're not enforcing the laws on the books!"

You are all over the place here, so let's try to break down what you said.

First, how many mass shootings are committed by felons? Has there been a single one? Certainly none of the school shootings involved felons. So, we are not discussing felons obtaining firearms. We are talking about individuals who went through the system and, in many cases, slipped through the cracks.

Second, a felon with a firearm is breaking the law. That person has already illegally obtained the firearm. So, if we ban firearms, will it stop that felon from getting the firearm? Of course not.

Third, let's focus on the topic at hand - mass shootings. What do these cases have in common? In nearly every case (quite possibly every case) while the person "technically" legally purchased the firearm, there was a reason it should have been denied or should have been questioned. What I mean by "technically legally purchased" is that they went through the proper channels to obtain the firearm, but, it likely should not have been obtained.

Florida School Shooting - shooter was under psychiatric care which should have prevented the sale of the firearm.

Texas church shooter - had a domestic abuse charge that should have prevented the sale of the firearm.

Las Vegas shooter - volume of purchase in a short time period should have set off red flags.

Sandy Hook shooter - mental health background should have prevented possession of firearm.

And so on and so on.

Look, I agree it is too each to obtain a firearm. I have never disputed that. In addition, I have repeatedly (I think this is now the 4th time in this thread alone) said in this and other threads that something akin to the CCW license process may be in order to get a license to be eligible to purchase a firearm. We can put all these rules and regulations in place, but, are we doing this to feel better or to be safer?

I travel a lot for work. I am in airports all the time. The number of TSA security failures I personally witness is stunning. There are a multitude of reports of failures left and right. But, we feel safer. So, is that the goal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
stal wrote:

Your own quote: " 3 percent of americans own 50 percent of america's guns. i think a lot of your crazies are going to be found in that cohort. "

That implies you think that's where the shooters come from. Thus, the problem. I think you're being a bit disingenuous and ignoring the other comments/questions I posed for good reason.

I provided evidence showing that not only is your supposition factually incorrect, it's most likely based off crap data.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Slowman wrote:
stal wrote:

Your own quote: " 3 percent of americans own 50 percent of america's guns. i think a lot of your crazies are going to be found in that cohort. "

That implies you think that's where the shooters come from. Thus, the problem. I think you're being a bit disingenuous and ignoring the other comments/questions I posed for good reason.

I provided evidence showing that not only is your supposition factually incorrect, it's most likely based off crap data.

Part of the problem right here:

It's not about the thesis of desensitization to violence, per se. It's about our lack, these days, of coming down HARD on those who propose to use violence or outright state that they mean to use it. We used to do that, I believe. And kids from other eras KNEW they couldn't just go out and shoot up a school, nor did they seem to want to, until about 1979.

I know the FBI says there wasn't enough to go on when it came to investigating the shooter's YouTube comment that he intended to be a "professional school shooter," though I find the Bureau's protestations of not being able to locate him a bit disingenuous, to put it mildly.

But this fellow gave every indication he meant to do what he did. Even his fellow students assumed he'd do something precisely like what he did. What did we as a society and culture do to head him off? At this point, it's a burning question in need of answering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Ok so the problem is the 3%'s who own 50% of the guns? It's rather interesting that that statistic comes up here.

First - Consider the source. Harvard / Northeastern. That's like someone asking you to trust an NRA study that says more guns makes us more safer (improper grammar is on purpose).

Two things: first he didn't say the problem is that 3% of the population owns 50% of the guns. He said the problem is the culture of gun worship. If you are going to have an argument, at least agree on what you are arguing!

Second: do you really find the statistic hard to believe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disingenous--ness is Dan's forte

the science is settled

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Why do you think that owning 17 guns makes a person more dangerous than a person owning 2?

i don't think that. i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool. not an object of worship. what makes a gun an object of worship is its ability to destroy other humans.

now, do you compete? are you a trap/skeet shooter? or a target shooter? okay. are you an investor? or an antique gun collector? okay.

but then, why do you own a .223 semi auto with a bump stock? or a 30 round magazine?

there are 2 reasons only that i can decipher for you to own guns, devices, or ammunition beyond any legitimate needs a gun enthusiast or hunter: you've got a real anger going on; or you think your govt is going to come and get you. in either case, this is the "mental health issue" BK is out to solve.

what we do have, right now, if i'm not mistaken, are prohibitions against the bulk purchase of the raw materials to make a truck bomb, even tho these materials by themselves innocuous. but you can buy a bump stock, or ammo way beyond any legitimate need, no prob.

i don't mind someone telling me to fudge off, that he wants to own a military arsenal and is going to fight to keep that right. at least that's honest. what i don't like is someone trying to blow smoke up my skirt and pretend its something else.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
JSA wrote:
I have steadfastly stated that Australia shows us gun control does not reduce mass killings.

A lie steadfastly stated is still a lie. You are lying.

Accurate statistics are readily available. They clearly show that in Australia gun control did reduce mass killings.

Take a look at Australian Institute of Criminology figures. Or Australian Bureau of Statistics. Look at the many studies by Australian universities. Even indulge your parochialism and just look at this Harvard University study (which also reviews other studies):

https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/...alia_spring_2011.pdf

tldr: the years following gun reform in Australia saw the largest % drop in homicides in a century.
"there is no evidence of substitution for suicides or homicides"
"The NFA (National Firearms Agreement) seems to have been incredibly successful in terms of lives saved."

What's interesting is in that article it states only about 20% of the guns out there were turned in or collected by the program. Not sure what to make of that, just something I didn't realize. Whenever I've heard anyone speak of it, it's made to sound like all the guns were surrendered. So if 80% of the guns are still out there, why the decrease in the numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to see some sort of analysis of these mass shooters regarding how many of them grew up in environments where violence, guns and such was a normal thing vs. those who were "radicalized" on their own. I'm betting this guy was the latter, but who knows?

We know kids basically absorb the culture they are raised in and that is more important than any single thing the are exposed to (e.g. violent video games).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen in just this thread, it's impossible to have any short of useful "conversation" about mass shootings, mostly for the reason that the left will never accept that the right also wants to stop mass shootings, too. For its part, at least in my opinion, the left's dominant worldview as regards the right is that those folks operate in bad faith in all things, including these mass shootings.

For example, social media today is brimming with all sorts of "The right has blood on its hands" posts (maybe social media is part of the problem, and not part of the solution?) aimed squarely at gun rights supporters. It's a national crisis, all these tweeters and posters tell us, and the cold, callous right won't do anything about it.

What has me scratching my head is that, given the moral urgency of this problem, why didn't the left -- in the form of filibuster-proof congressional Democrat majorities as well as control of the White House -- do anything to solve it when they had the power to do so? From what I've researched, Democrats held no votes on gun control from 2009 to 2011. That's surprising.

Cynical answer: they didn't ban guns or institute any "common-sense gun control measures" because they cared more about getting elected than they did any supposed national gun violence emergencies. They did the political math, in other words, and realized gun control was a recipe for getting kicked out of office.

This factor still appertains today, and probably even more so. Republicans -- most from districts and states where gun rights are supported -- aren't about to cut their own throats, and you're not likely to see many Democrats in this election year do it, especially those Democrats from red states where that guy in the White House beat Hillary Clinton. No fools, they, when it comes to this equation.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
What's interesting is in that article it states only about 20% of the guns out there were turned in or collected by the program. Not sure what to make of that, just something I didn't realize. Whenever I've heard anyone speak of it, it's made to sound like all the guns were surrendered. So if 80% of the guns are still out there, why the decrease in the numbers?

i would tend to trust what an australian says about his own country over what you and i say about his country. still, i'll venture a guess: australia as a country, as a culture, decided to stop reverencing guns.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
First, how many mass shootings are committed by felons? Has there been a single one? Certainly none of the school shootings involved felons. So, we are not discussing felons obtaining firearms. We are talking about individuals who went through the system and, in many cases, slipped through the cracks.

Second, a felon with a firearm is breaking the law. That person has already illegally obtained the firearm. So, if we ban firearms, will it stop that felon from getting the firearm? Of course not.

Third, let's focus on the topic at hand - mass shootings. What do these cases have in common? In nearly every case (quite possibly every case) while the person "technically" legally purchased the firearm, there was a reason it should have been denied or should have been questioned. What I mean by "technically legally purchased" is that they went through the proper channels to obtain the firearm, but, it likely should not have been obtained.

Florida School Shooting - shooter was under psychiatric care which should have prevented the sale of the firearm.

Texas church shooter - had a domestic abuse charge that should have prevented the sale of the firearm.

Las Vegas shooter - volume of purchase in a short time period should have set off red flags.

Sandy Hook shooter - mental health background should have prevented possession of firearm.

And so on and so on.

Look, I agree it is too each to obtain a firearm. I have never disputed that. In addition, I have repeatedly (I think this is now the 4th time in this thread alone) said in this and other threads that something akin to the CCW license process may be in order to get a license to be eligible to purchase a firearm. We can put all these rules and regulations in place, but, are we doing this to feel better or to be safer?
Agreed.

Everyone wants a safer country. But it's worth noticing that the anti-gun solution is usually "more laws", and the pro-gun solution is usually "more do". The anti-gun folks seem to have a hard time understanding is that "more laws" usually only targets law abiding citizens, which is an awfully inefficient way to go after evil-doers.

If you really want to stop gun violence, make the penalties for it, by modern standards, a horror. Pull something out of the middle ages that makes your gut clench. If you're not ready for that, I call you "not serious". If you call for restraining law abiding citizens as your "control mechanism of choice", instead of trying a helova lot harder to deter the bad guys, then a label a lot more reprehensible than "not serious" needs to be applied.

Re. states with most guns have most gun deaths. No one's going to take those statistics seriously until you pull the suicides out of those #'s. If someone wants to end their pain with a gun, that's their own business.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Garry wrote:

i would tend to trust what an australian says about his own country over what you and i say about his country. still, i'll venture a guess: australia as a country, as a culture, decided to stop reverencing guns.

Ok a bit confused. Are you saying that Harvard study that was linked was not accurate, as far as what Australian are saying on the gun turn in? Not debating just unsure of what you meant.
But I think I understand what you are saying about the reverence of guns, and agree to a point. Someone pointed out that most people don't own 4 or 5, drills, shovels, etc. Can't remember who. Just reading this whole thread now and tough to stay on topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't think that. i think a culture that causes someone to want to own 17 guns is a problem. do you own 17 shovels? 17 ladders? a gun is a tool. not an object of worship. what makes a gun an object of worship is its ability to destroy other humans.

Something that stuck out in the USA Today link I posted earlier - the gun shop this kid bought his AR from was called... "Sunset Tactical Supply". IMO, the way the term tactical is thrown around by gun-related companies is adding to this whole mystique or whatever around guns. We hear that guns are a defensive tool, or for hunting, or for target shooting (which I do get the attraction of, I go skeet shooting with a co-worker at his club's range in MA when I'm up there for work). If all this is true, why do so many of these business seem to be latching on to the "tactical" aspect of gun use as a marketing ploy? Who, beyond law enforcement or the military, actually needs "tactical" weaponry and equipment?

Or maybe "Sunset Gun Shop" just wasn't a catchy enough name to attract all those home defense/hunting/target shooting buyers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next