Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
As offensive as Halvard's post was i don't think he/she/it should be banned. He posts seldom and now has revealed himself to be the vile piece of shit that he is. We don't need safe spaces here.

Our gun confiscating website owner will probably not kick H to the curb even tho he was quick to do so with some others

I whole heartedly agree. Well said

Hey, how about that new singer for Stone Temple Pilots, Jeff Gutt. Sounds just like Scott Weiland, doesn't he?

Sorry, but all these academic discussions and statistics and talk of the banhammer and such were making my eyes glaze over.

Carry on, folks. ;-)

By the time I saw this thread, it already had 160 or so replies. I pretty much knew it would have turned into a shit show, so I skipped it. I see I was not wrong, and should have just continued to skip this particular “discussion.”

Everyone needs to take a deep drink of this stuff, at this point: ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. That is Definitely part of the problem, IMHO.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand your viewpoint, but I don't think that most law-abiding citizens believe that killing is a solution to anything other than a physical threat of harm to themselves or their loved ones.

I have a fair number of guns. I see them as collector items, sporting tools, and home defense tools. I hope I never have to use them for home defense. Oh, I did use one the other day to get rid of a rat that was wreaking havoc in my garage. I used a .22 pistol with rat shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The number that matters is innocent lives taken by firearms.

If you only cared about that, then why bring up overall murder rates? It is hopelessly skewed by those "gangbangers" that you don't care about. Do you have stats for "innocent lives taken"? I didn't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men still have a place in this world. Did you see all three of the adults that were killed were men trying to save the kids that were under their care? God bless them, is all I have to say.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:
The number that matters is innocent lives taken by firearms.

If you only cared about that, then why bring up overall murder rates? It is hopelessly skewed by those "gangbangers" that you don't care about. Do you have stats for "innocent lives taken"? I didn't think so.

Homicide by firearm is a lot closer to that number than firearm deaths...
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Men still have a place in this world. Did you see all three of the adults that were killed were men trying to save the kids that were under their care? God bless them, is all I have to say.

Hopefully that is something everyone here can agree on.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I understand your viewpoint, but I don't think that most law-abiding citizens believe that killing is a solution to anything other than a physical threat of harm to themselves or their loved ones.

I have a fair number of guns. I see them as collector items, sporting tools, and home defense tools. I hope I never have to use them for home defense. Oh, I did use one the other day to get rid of a rat that was wreaking havoc in my garage. I used a .22 pistol with rat shot.

My parents are pharmacists in NZ and were held up at gunpoint, together with my sister, who was then 4 years old. I'm not sure that them having a gun would have made that situation better. Far better to comply imo.

With home defence etc, if it is for a robbery, why not just let the robbers take whatever they want? Or will they kill you anyway? Which again brings us to this idea that people think a gun is an acceptable solution to a problem, which perhaps goes back to that constitutional right to bare arms.

Perhaps the school shooters think they are solving a threat to themselves by shooting up the schools?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

So are you agreeing with Trump's bill?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Regarding your "fuck you", these are your words:

You claim that I, acting as a responsible gun owner, should feel shame every time I go to the range as I should? Really? Then fuck you.

But I did not claim that. Read that obscene statement again. I claimed that strong 2A supporters (not all of whom I'm sure take their responsibility as seriously as some, like yourself, do) should absolutely have the aftermath of this shooting on their minds next time they exercise their rights. With rights come responsibilities. This one being a particularly heavy responsibility, with a heavy cost, and not something to take lightly, IMO.

I think slowman nicely distilled my thoughts when he said something akin to responsible gun owners taking ownership and coming up with solutions to some of the problems that stem from the ability to easily obtain guns.

I like you, man. I have no beef with you and we see eye-to-eye on a lot (most, even) of things. But, you made this comment:

But, I do hope strong 2A advocates at least think of those 17 coffins in the ground next time they go target shooting, as the reality is their freedom is paid for in the blood of a lot of innocent people.

You may have been swayed by emotion. You may have made a poor choice with your words. But, you wrote what is written above and that is an obscene statement. Those 17 innocent souls did not die defending any right. Their blood was not shed in furtherance of freedom. They were mowed down by a coward. Their senseless deaths do not, in any manner, pay for the freedom to bear arms. To suggest that responsible gun owners doing what EVERY gun owner should do should think of these senseless killings by a coward every time they go to the range is asinine and obscene.

And don't even try to pretend you were not trying to shame gun owners. You were. Just own it.

You are correct, those 17 innocent souls did not die defending your freedom, but they are absolutely the cost or fallout from you having that freedom, whether you choose to exercise that freedom or not.

I honestly did not mean to shame gun owners, but more to imply some pretty hard, sombre self reflection might be in order. Something beyond the "thoughts and prayers". Because, just maybe, some change is in order. Maybe, just maybe, gun owners can be a reasonable voice in that discussion to temper the ignorant over emotional insanity on the left and right that shout the loudest after these shootings.

I have no beef with people who own a gun. I'm not even anti-gun! I have a hunting trip planned for this summer. My uncles were both hunters, and a lot of people I know own rifles and hunt. I'm not tsk tsking at them. I'm also a big tool guy, and can appreciate them in that respect. [pink] Hell, I own 9 nail guns ;-). [/pink].

Ok. Well then, following your lead: I do hope strong supporters of alcohol consumption at least think of those 88,000 coffins in the ground next time they go to the bar, as the reality is their freedom is paid for in the blood of a lot of innocent people.

Do you see how asinine that comment is???

Yes, I absolutely see how asinine your comment is.

Anybody has any data on murders with kitchen knives? Should I feel guilty while cooking or cleaning fish?

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No

don't you have someones back to 'crack'

here pull my finger!

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Funny thing in at least a small way, maybe one side is willing to compromise.

Just did some math and posted to one of our city council persons page, that for about a 1/4 of mil we could put an armed police officer in each school in our city. And much to my surprise its quickly picking up traction, with most of their constitutions who are all VERY strong dem's.

So who knows maybe the citizens of the city I live in do care. Will keep you informed if anything really develops.

Ask the teachers in your city if they have all the resources they need to teach, then ask if they might have any use for that $250,000.

Actually I think the calculation was the other side of $500k. But I'm not going to go for false arguments, if the teachers want more money for something else, put it on the ballot. But overall, yeah our schools are pretty well funded.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
How will you get people to go through a process that will be expensive and poses significant logistical problems?

with verve and panache.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

I'm in favor of a coherent system of gun control. But to do it, we are going to need a rewrite of the second amendment. Good luck with that.

I disagree. There are numerous gun control laws that are not enforced and violations that are not prosecuted. Every time this topic comes up, I post a link to Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn's testimony before Congress when he was asked why he did not pursue the thousands of background check violations and he responded, "We're not in a paper chase."

What??? That's disgusting. That's irresponsible. That should be grounds for prosecution for misconduct in public office.

Give me a break. Enforce the laws on the books. That would be the logical start.

GRAHAM: When almost 80,000 people fail a background check and 44 people are prosecuted, what kind of deterrent is that? I mean, the law obviously is not seeing that as important…. We absolutely do nothing to enforce the laws on the books…

FLYNN: Just for the record, from my point of view, the point of a background check…

GRAHAM: How many cases have you made? How many cases have you made?

FLYNN: It doesn’t matter, it’s a paper thing. I want to stop 76,000 people from getting guns illegally. That’s what a background check does. If you think we’re going to do paperwork prosecutions, you’re wrong. […] We don’t make those cases. We have priorities. We make gun cases. We make 2,000 gun cases a year, senator, that’s our priority. We’re not in a paper chase. We’re trying to prevent the wrong people from buying guns. That’s why we do background checks. If you think I’m going to do a paper chase, then you think I’m going to misuse my resources.

I actually agree with this Police Chief--it's a matter of priorities. With a criminal justice system that is already back logged and prisons that are already beyond capacity, it has not been a priority to go after those that have lied on their background checks. To me (and apparently those in law enforcement across the country) there is a huge difference between a felon who is actually in possession of a firearm, and one who lies on a background check. As Flynn stated, they make gun cases--lots of them. You hear it in the news all the time when felons are caught with firearms they get charged with unlawful possession and they do prison time. And there are firearm enhancements to sentences that get applied regularly.

So I don't think that we can just end the discussion on gun control by cherry-picking this one example and saying "But, but, we're not enforcing the laws on the books!"
Last edited by: zed707: Feb 15, 18 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Homicide by firearm is a lot closer to that number than firearm deaths...

... Homicide by firearm is much better, if you factor out extremely small pockets of crime and poverty, which skew the results regardless of gun policy. When you do that your entire first point ("states with stricter policies have more crime") implodes. The most homicides are overwhelmingly populated by red states with the most lax policies (DC and Baltimore-less Maryland drop out). Of course, you could point to poverty/segregation issues, which are the real reason that many red states have higher crime rates, but that is the opposite of what you started with, and I'm not going to help you out of this morass.

Here is a link to homicide by firearm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_death_rates_in_the_United_States_by_state#Murders

As you can see, the 4 worst cities are fully driven by extreme poverty (not gun laws). After that, there is pretty much a sea of red states.

In order (worst to ~23rd worst)
=================================
District of Columbia (entire city)
Louisiana (New Orleans)
Maryland (Baltimore)
Missouri (St. Louis)
South Carolina
Nevada
New Mexico
Michigan (Detroit)
Mississippi
Tennessee
Arizona
Illinois (Chicago)
Delaware
Georgia
Pennsylvania
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
California
North Carolina
Virginia
Arkansas
Kentucky
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 15, 18 21:25
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bending data by ignoring the parts that disagree with your assertion is convenient, but ineffective in the overall analysis.

The whole question is highly multifactoral and cannot simply be blamed on gun ownership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are the one you began this by specifically and deceptively linking states with higher crime and more gun restrictions and trying to make conclusions, while posting no data ("The areas with more open gun laws, and less overall restriction, have lower crime rates...That fact sort of discredits your statements doesn't it? "). It isn't bending data to point out the flaws in your original point, and over-riding issues that fully explain such disparities. I am glad to see you backtrack on your first statement (Now: "The whole question is highly multifactoral and cannot simply be blamed on gun ownership.").

Of course, it won't matter, because that deceptive talking point that you began with resurrects itself repeatedly.

For posterity, here is the map of firearm deaths (total, because I care about suicides and accidental deaths). Compare with the red/blue divide and the 2016 map:

Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 15, 18 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Here's what I know: Short of total confiscation, there is no law that will prevent the next mass shooting.

There is no law in any country regarding any matter that can 100% effective in preventing some negative outcome. Are for scrapping laws pertaining to tax evasion? What about dangerous driving?

Quote:
According to the Washington Post, in 2015 there were an estimated 357 million firearms in the United States. No way law-abiding gun owners are going to turn in every gun they own, even if the law said they had to... and I'm not sure, given the Second Amendment, that the law could even do that, short of amending the Constitution to eliminate or rewrite 2A. Short of that, there'd be a civil war and wholesale bloodshed if federal officials and law enforcement (forget the military, including the National Guard, because they're not going to turn their guns on US citizens in this regard) tried to march into every home and grab all the guns.

Now, if there were some sort of law that could prevent such tragedies, I'd say sign me up immediately and I'll even bug my Congressperson to get it passed. And despite Dan's idea of the cultural zeitgeist about guns turning soon, I honestly don't see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future, to tell the truth. I know guns, and I know gun owners and our gun culture. I think a shooting like this is as likely to INCREASE support for gun ownership as it is to decrease such support, for the simple reason that people like having various means of self-defense, the gun being the primary instrument of that condition.

One interesting stat that I came across proposes that the percentage of gun ownership has declined significantly over the last 35 years while the number of mass shootings seem to be on the rise. It seems more gun owners own more more guns than ever before, but there are fewer gun owners in total.

I appreciate your thoughtful response and for the most part, am on the same page. I don't see this well armed genie taking his AR-15 and going back in to the bottle any time soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

One interesting stat that I came across proposes that the percentage of gun ownership has declined significantly over the last 35 years while the number of mass shootings seem to be on the rise. It seems more gun owners own more more guns than ever before, but there are fewer gun owners in total.

Supposedly 1/2 of guns are owned by 3% of country. It also appears that blue states are voluntarily disarming, while red states still have a much stronger gun culture. Gun deaths track surprisingly closely to gun ownership (with some surprises, Nebraska?). How people insist that higher gun ownership leads to lower gun deaths is a complete mystery to me.

Here are gun ownership numbers, circa 2013:

Compare with gun deaths:

Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 15, 18 22:37
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
t doesn't appear as if a single person at the school was either armed or able to fight back, although this doesn't mean that they wouldn't have if there'd been time

It was reported last night that the school had an armed security guard on site, and that it was a single secured entry facility, as are most public schools today. And now it's the site of one of the worst school shootings in our history.

You're right about it being a symptom of a cultural illness. But that illness runs through an ocean of readily available, high capacity, historically lethal weaponry, and this is what we should expect as a result. Because we're incapable of fixing the former, and unwilling to budge on the latter.

Very well said. You nailed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying to anyone in particular.

But why hasn't Florida passed gun regulation, e.g. Ban AR-15s? Forget the Feds. After sandy hook, it's clear they won't do a thing. The nytimes has a truly damning indictment of the Feds total inaction on this topic.

But the state of Fl could pass a law, and defend it against the NRA in Ct.

Win or lose, at least they could say with candor that they tried something. But to do nothing, not even try, seems inexcusable.

Aren't bump stocks still legal? Why? That too is inexcusable.

Someone wrote, public opinion could shift. I think they're right. That's why states should act when th Feds won't. That way, if the NRA wins in Ct, public opinion can target the real villain behind congressional inaction.

I'm not anti gun. But we have a serious problem in this country with guns. Kids are dying. Not from terrorism. Not from religious extremism. But because of the proliferation of military grade, civilian accessible weaponry. Something has to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

so tell us what 'common sense gun control' you'd propose to deal with these lone mass shootings you're so careful to single out?
??

Sorry, I was busy tonight. The biggest issue with these shooters is messed up people easily getting extremely deadly weapons that can fire many rounds in a short amount of time with minimal training. There are lots of ways in which one can diminish the likelihood of gun deaths from such mass shootings. Let's check out the "laboratories of democracy".... the states. Semi-automatic weapons are prohibited in lots of states, bump stocks have also been banned in a couple (after Las Vegas). Age limits have moved up to 21 in some states (for handguns, but not necessarily AR-15style weapons). Wait times are sometimes in place. Better reporting and mental health would help. This "kid" could have been stymied by any number of these measures. Of course, they can all be plausibly circumvented, but by that reasoning no law should ever be passed on any issue.

All sorts of limits exist, which have thus far passed SCOTUS muster. Given complete gridlock at the federal level, more bills in "blue" states will continue to be passed at the state and local level. Eventually SCOTUS will weigh in, upholding some, overturning others.

The bigger trend (which people are overlooking) is this: gun ownership is declining as blue areas are actively rejecting gun culture. This thread is a microcosm. People who largely support full gun rights put forth arguments that simultaneously deeply resonate with a pro-gun culture AND deeply alienate folks who aren't pro-gun. It's also true for the other side's arguments (I guess). Looking at the graphs above in previous responses, gun ownership in red states will stay above 30% while it drops toward 10% in blue states. Deaths due to firearms will probably reflect those percentages, just as they do now (check out the firearm death map above). Over decades, the level of gun deaths in blue states will largely resemble those in other countries. The country will continue to diverge on this as in so many issues. Everything in this thread supports that trajectory for gun ownership in the US.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 16, 18 1:25
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 But those opposed to any change also repeatedly say other countries like Australia or in Europe are different and don’t have the same history or demographics and then conclude any change won’t work. However, since there has never been a national attempt to try, no one knows for sure what would happen.

For me that is the part that is baffling. The NRA blocks any attempt to do research or even have a dialog about what can be done and many have no problem with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People were recently banned for very minor comments but that is way over the line. It’s a disgrace.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its ironic how obsessed Americans were regard ing WMDs in Iraq over a decade ago. Yet its quite clear, semi automatic guns pose a much bigger, and a much more realistic threat. They are mass killing machines. Maybe grenades should be legal too, and flame throwers. If tanks were legal for civilians to purchase and arm, kids would be using those too. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Hell, even if it doesn't work, at least you tried. Better than doing nothing. Even alcohol was banned once. So what. They weren't afraid to try.
Quote Reply

Prev Next