Quote | Reply
Skipp80 wrote:
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

How about we outlaw guns like the one used? For starters?

Because "assault rifles" account for fewer murders than knives, fists, and feet combined?

https://www.statista.com/...e-us-by-weapon-used/

Twisted Stat... they account for far more mass killings then knives, fists or feet.

See, here is the problem with this debate. Every fucking time we have this debate, we have a display of ignorance on the subject that makes having an intelligent discussion impossible.

People who know nothing about how guns work want to opine on what should and should not be outlawed.

People who do not know the facts about what type of firearms are used most often, even in mass shootings, want to opine on what types of firearms should be banned.

We bitch when health insurance companies opine on patient care over the opinion of the doctors treating the patient. But, then we accept that same level of ignorance on this topic.

Your not willing to give an inch. You can not deny removing XXX type gun would reduce / eliminate some weapons used in mass shootings. As you demonstrated in the other posts, when it comes to stat's around guns you can find stat's to make any point you want... Not worth discussing further..

Nothing is going to be done, the gun side won't give in on anything, and the anti gun folks wont give on allowing guns in gun free zones. Both refuse to move from their position. Both would rather have more of these then give up their position. AKA

Just another day in America. American's have accepted this as normal.

We have evidence that does not work. I posted in a prior thread the statistic from Australia. When Australia effectively banned guns, their mass murder rate remained statistically the same.

There was no statistical decrease in mass murders.

Between 1982 until 1996: 13 in Australia
Between 1996 and now: 4

In the US, you are talking about affecting a Constitutional Right, unlike in Australia. If you want to do that, you better show it will have some impact. But, you cannot.

So, you can make these bold assertions, but they are ignorant and unsupported by any evidence.

Let me ask you this: Why do you want to ban some types of firearms when we are not enforcing the current laws? Answer that question, please.

Why did you change and misrepresent what I wrote?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So: Has anyone's mind -- pro-gun or anti-gun -- been changed as regards the issues under discussion?

Didn't think so. I'd say that'll be the case nationwide, as well -- absent a few do-gooders on either side of the equation.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

So, do we still need this? I dunno. Maybe we feel we do not need that possibility b/c it has always been present and has kept the gubment in check.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
What needs to be added to the conversation is the annual 500k to 3million "defensive use of firearms", each one an honest citizen protecting themselves. The spread of the #'s is because the various folks going after the statistic have a dog in the fight.

I'd be interested in seeing the backup for those numbers. That range indicates an average of 1,370 to 8,220 "defensive use of firearms" incidents EACH AND EVERY DAY. Sorry, that doesn't seem remotely plausible.

How about the CDC?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/16/the-study-that-gun-rights-activists-keep-citing-but-completely-misunderstand/?utm_term=.12f89d1e1319

Cliffnotes on CDC report:
  • Gun statistics are highly politicized. That is to say, both sides tend to juggle the variables to get the outcome that they want.
  • Defensive gun use estimates range from 100k to 3 million annually.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
So, do we still need this? I dunno. Maybe we feel we do not need that possibility b/c it has always been present and has kept the gubment in check.

I've never understood this line of reasoning. Does anyone think that the reason a president doesn't become a dictator is because he's worried about the handguns some people own? If the military really wanted to take you out, does owning an assault weapon make a difference?

As Dan said, it made a kind of sense 250 years ago when the farmer and the army could be equally well armed, but that balance is at least a century out of date and yet somehow we haven't sprouted a dictatorship.

But I'm willing to be shown I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
JSA wrote:

I've never understood this line of reasoning. Does anyone think that the reason a president doesn't become a dictator is because he's worried about the handguns some people own? If the military really wanted to take you out, does owning an assault weapon make a difference?

As Dan said, it made a kind of sense 250 years ago when the farmer and the army could be equally well armed, but that balance is at least a century out of date and yet somehow we haven't sprouted a dictatorship.

But I'm willing to be shown I'm wrong.

Dan raised the question, I did not. I do not believe you are reading Dan's comments properly.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
So: Has anyone's mind -- pro-gun or anti-gun -- been changed as regards the issues under discussion?

Didn't think so. I'd say that'll be the case nationwide, as well -- absent a few do-gooders on either side of the equation.

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Then there's this, which is why I now generally try to disengage from these debates (though, clearly with limited success today):

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Feb 15, 18 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding your "fuck you", these are your words:

You claim that I, acting as a responsible gun owner, should feel shame every time I go to the range as I should? Really? Then fuck you.

But I did not claim that. Read that obscene statement again. I claimed that strong 2A supporters (not all of whom I'm sure take their responsibility as seriously as some, like yourself, do) should absolutely have the aftermath of this shooting on their minds next time they exercise their rights. With rights come responsibilities. This one being a particularly heavy responsibility, with a heavy cost, and not something to take lightly, IMO.

I think slowman nicely distilled my thoughts when he said something akin to responsible gun owners taking ownership and coming up with solutions to some of the problems that stem from the ability to easily obtain guns.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Regarding your "fuck you", these are your words:

You claim that I, acting as a responsible gun owner, should feel shame every time I go to the range as I should? Really? Then fuck you.

But I did not claim that. Read that obscene statement again. I claimed that strong 2A supporters (not all of whom I'm sure take their responsibility as seriously as some, like yourself, do) should absolutely have the aftermath of this shooting on their minds next time they exercise their rights. With rights come responsibilities. This one being a particularly heavy responsibility, with a heavy cost, and not something to take lightly, IMO.

I think slowman nicely distilled my thoughts when he said something akin to responsible gun owners taking ownership and coming up with solutions to some of the problems that stem from the ability to easily obtain guns.

I like you, man. I have no beef with you and we see eye-to-eye on a lot (most, even) of things. But, you made this comment:

But, I do hope strong 2A advocates at least think of those 17 coffins in the ground next time they go target shooting, as the reality is their freedom is paid for in the blood of a lot of innocent people.

You may have been swayed by emotion. You may have made a poor choice with your words. But, you wrote what is written above and that is an obscene statement. Those 17 innocent souls did not die defending any right. Their blood was not shed in furtherance of freedom. They were mowed down by a coward. Their senseless deaths do not, in any manner, pay for the freedom to bear arms. To suggest that responsible gun owners doing what EVERY gun owner should do should think of these senseless killings by a coward every time they go to the range is asinine and obscene.

And don't even try to pretend you were not trying to shame gun owners. You were. Just own it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

As to this comment, every time this discussion comes up, those of us who support gun ownership DO propose solutions, or at least steps that could be taken. What did this POS have in common with nearly every school shooter in the past 20 years? Mental health issues. This POS was receiving mental health treatment, but, had not attended in nearly a year. So, how the hell did he get a firearm? Because we are so concerned about patient privacy that we, for all intents and purposes, make it impossible for mental health information to be shared. Ridiculous. You want a place to start? Start there.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
The cost of that civil right, according to your chart, is about 100,000 dead people in 2010, not counting non-homicide firearm deaths, of course.
Why, in your opinion, is this an important civil right? What, today, is its value that offsets the 100,000 firearm homicides in 2010?

1.) I've got some really good news. Your estimate is off by a factor of 10. The total non-suicide homicides by firearm were around 10,000 not 100,000.
2.) There are a million articles about the importance of the 2A online. Or you can recall countless LR posts about it. I'm not going to waste my time.
3.) If you want to write... what would the homicide level have to drop to for you to consider it worthwhile to have the 2A?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
No offence but if idiotic scales were not used on that graph it would not look any thing like as good

Try 0 to 3.5 and then see how good it looks
Yeah, no, you're right. That was a good catch. Actually, I really hate that crap as well, and I'm pissed that I ended up reposting it. My point was just that it was at its lowest, not that we'd had a dramatic decrease, so it got by me.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:
The cost of that civil right, according to your chart, is about 100,000 dead people in 2010, not counting non-homicide firearm deaths, of course.
Why, in your opinion, is this an important civil right? What, today, is its value that offsets the 100,000 firearm homicides in 2010?

1.) I've got some really good news. Your estimate is off by a factor of 10. The total non-suicide homicides by firearm were around 10,000 not 100,000.
2.) There are a million articles about the importance of the 2A online. Or you can recall countless LR posts about it. I'm not going to waste my time.
3.) If you want to write... what would the homicide level have to drop to for you to consider it worthwhile to have the 2A?

Your chart shows a rate of 3.5 homicides per 100,000 people. We have 300,000,000 million population. Divide that population by 100,000, and you get 3,000. Multiply by 3.5, and you get your 100,000 homicides. Your chart. I'll also note that one should be skeptical of a chart that includes the word "preditor".

I asked *you* to explain the importance of the Second Amendment. Too much work, I guess. See Dan/JSA's discussion of whether it is still relevant.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:

Your chart shows a rate of 3.5 homicides per 100,000 people. We have 300,000,000 million population. Divide that population by 100,000, and you get 3,000. Multiply by 3.5, and you get your 100,000 homicides. Your chart. I'll also note that one should be skeptical of a chart that includes the word "preditor".

I asked *you* to explain the importance of the Second Amendment. Too much work, I guess. See Dan/JSA's discussion of whether it is still relevant.

1.) Can you multiply 3.5 x 3,000 for me one more time?
2.) You never did answer what the homicide rate would have to drop to in order for you to support the 2A.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 15, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:

1.) Can you multiply 3.5 x 3,000 for me one more time?
2.) You never did answer what the homicide rate would have to drop to in order for you to support the 2A.

My apologies for the lame math.

You need to tell me what is the value of the Second Amendment today, then I can evaluate the value/cost.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I think that there are probably some teachers who would be helpful in situations if they were armed. My father (military veteran) retired after teaching for 35 years. At one point he taught gun safety on the side (not at school). He practiced regularly and was a good shot with hand gun and rifle.

Knowing my dad, he would have faced danger to protect his students. If each school had 2 or 3 teachers like him, and I'm sure many do - then it would be an added layer of safety that could save some lives. While it might not be enough to prevent all the murders, it could reduce them.

How do you tell beforehand which teachers would be helpful, and which are likely to a) mishandle their weapon or not secure it correctly *all the time*, b) shoot the first person they see with a gun (who might be another teacher), and/or c) kill an innocent bystander through lack of judgment and/or skill? Law enforcement officers, who I would hope receive far more gun and situational training than any teacher would ever get, make mistakes even so.

Sorry, the answer is not "more guns." Especially not teachers.

Please note that my response was to the thought that armed teachers would provide no benefit in a situation like this. I am not saying that all or most teachers should be armed and am not actively promoting the idea. I do think arming some could make a difference in SOME situations. As to who would make the decision. I think it could be a mutli-layered decision. Someone who thinks they might be worthy would apply to do so. The school/state would run a background check. If someone made it that far, the other teachers in the school could be polled to solicit their opinions on whether that person should hold the responsibility. The other teachers would have a good idea as to who would be more likely to be responsible or irresponsible.

Obviously there would be some issues regarding the storage and accessibility of the gun. It isn't a simple solution, but one that could possibly work and could possibly save lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Is a gun the only way to defend oneself?

No. A 100 pound woman should simply learn karate to be able to defend herself against her 250 pound husband. And, we know that restraining orders always work /pink

If you can't see the ridiculously obvious flaw in your argument I'm not going to waste my time holding your hand and spelling it out for you.

Now carry on waiting for the next mass shooting.

So you don't have an intelligent response?

Let's be honest, all gun control laws are about feeling safer - a reasonable concern. My wife went to the University of Florida when Danny Rollings was killing innocent students - none of which were killed with a gun. She took a heavy load and would spend many hours at the school studying before driving home, one hour away.

When the killings started occurring, my father-in-law bought her a .45 pistol. Why? Because he knew that she would at least have a chance if the guy approached her. She learned gun safety from her father who also taught gun-safety courses. She was going to school on the GI bill after serving as a combat medic in the army. She also qualified to carry a .45 (marksman or expert, maybe) while she was in the army and was a good shot.

She weighed about 115 pounds at the time and having the gun increased her safety while also making her feel safer. So, yes. A firearm can be an equalizer for a woman. Don't discount it or discredit it because you can't imagine scenarios where it could save a woman's life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
svennn wrote:
Slowman wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
ask the lady that defended herself with a handgun

much more likely for that lady to get killed by her husband's handgun.

the thing that is just incredulous to "us" is that the gun ownership community has created a cult-of-the-gun, and then is trying to tell us (as you are now) that the solution is for the rest of us to join your community, rather than accept any responsibility to rein in the excesses of your community.

were it up to me i'd rather repeal the 2nd amendment than have the situation be as it now is. but i'd be willing to negotiate a compromise. while you can't see it now, there will eventually be a pendulum swing. you're going to eventually lose all your gun ownership rights altogether. there's going to be a #nomore. it'll show up on your doorstep one day and you'll lose it all with breathtaking speed.

I like the concept of compromise where everyone has some skin in the game. To that end, I really think we have a cultural problem. I have kids and have major issues with the current entertainment/media complex.

Are you willing to give up some 1st amendment rights for me to give up some of my 2nd? I'd say we have way too much violence that desensitizes people portrayed in movies, video games, and on TV.

That same desensitization doesn't lead to mass shootings in other countries, does it?

Nope. https://www.nytimes.com/...s-international.html

"Whether a population plays more or fewer video games also appears to have no impact. Americans are no more likely to play video games than people in any other developed country."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Then there's this, which is why I now generally try to disengage from these debates (though, clearly with limited success today):

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Spot on, sir. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Lord, but everyone's arguing statistics now. Uh-oh!

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." (Attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, though Mark Twain deployed it a bit)

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why bother with an intelligent response to an unintelligent statement?

Jesus, you just said gun laws are about FEELING safe.

In the next paragraph you're talking about a 120lbs woman having a gun to equalize her disadvantage over a larger predatory male - a male who, unless she is highly trained, hyper vigilant, and lucky in how a struggle/assault occurs, could easily overpower that woman and use that gun against her.

Talk about feeling safer vs being safer.

There are definitely instances when a gun is the be all of self defense you are championing. No argument there. But there are also many (more?) Scenarios where the introduction of a gun results in less safety. A gun in a house hold is more likely to be used against a woman then to be used in her defense.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Why bother with an intelligent response to an unintelligent statement?

Jesus, you just said gun laws are about FEELING safe.

In the next paragraph you're talking about a 120lbs woman having a gun to equalize her disadvantage over a larger predatory male - a male who, unless she is highly trained, hyper vigilant, and lucky in how a struggle/assault occurs, could easily overpower that woman and use that gun against her.

Talk about feeling safer vs being safer.

There are definitely instances when a gun is the be all of self defense you are championing. No argument there. But there are also many (more?) Scenarios where the introduction of a gun results in less safety. A gun in a house hold is more likely to be used against a woman then to be used in her defense.

I'm already regretting getting sucked into this, but the CDC report cited upthread addressed this issue:

"Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies..."

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
MattyK wrote:
So because you believe that getting rid of guns won't affect people getting killed, your response is to try... nothing?

https://www.theonion.com/...re-this-r-1823016659

You are onto something. Sometimes I feel that Americans want 100% guarantee of success 100% of the time or they want even try. At least when guns are in question.

Ad Muncher

Nobody is that moronic!

JSA wrote:
Well, at least you admit you have not solved the problem of mass killings.

Errr, most people aren't that moronic.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No shock there. He was also following various "resistance" group pages (Iraqi, Syrian, etc.) on Facebook. This gentleman, as I've said before, was a ticking time bomb that nobody -- but NOBODY -- tried to defuse.

Quote Reply

Prev Next