Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida School Shooting [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why change anything.
Nothing is more American than mass shooting.
The USA is famous in the western world for mass shootings.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gun sales have been down. This will probably give them a boost.

ā€œRead the transcript.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts (because I need to procrastinate just a bit more). Not necessarily at you JSA, but your brought the stats.
* 7105 murders by Handgun, I wonder how many of these guns fall into "Combat Style / Look" variety versus a .38 snubnose that was last cool in a 1960s copshow. (I know nothing about guns, but you know what I am getting at).
* Total guns all types 11,004 versus 2732 for Knives, Personal, Club / Hammer. Guns are designed to kill efficiently. Assault Riffles, Black Guns, old 30-06 with Wood Stocks etc etc etc
I do not know the answer as there are too many guns in the US already out there. Short of a military confiscation door to door (which would not go well) we will always have them in this country. However, it is without question that it is too easy for the wrong people to obtain guns. In addition, everyday more and more of the wrong people have them.
FWIW I am not a gun guy. In most cases, I look at guns the same way as I look at bikes. Fun toys that allow us to escape our day to day lives. However, the person who is 50lbs overweight that buys a P5x because they can, cannot do the same damage as the buy who buys an AR with all of the toys having a bad day or life.

ok back to work now.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Last edited by: gymrat: Feb 14, 18 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I completely agree re: ownership and responsibility.

But your right to practice that responsibility also allows countless others who are irresponsible, reckless, and unstable access to guns.

Then address that issue. Don't make asinine comments about people who exercise the responsibility that comes with gun ownership.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

How about we outlaw guns like the one used? For starters?

Because "assault rifles" account for fewer murders than knives, fists, and feet combined?

https://www.statista.com/...e-us-by-weapon-used/

sure. but i thought we were talking about this particular kind of thing. maybe it's my imaginzation, but it seems to me these large-fatality shootings are usually perpetrated with this kind of weapon. your typical murder, sure, you're right. mass shooting deaths, am i under a wrong impression as to the weapon usually used?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Because "assault rifles" account for fewer murders than knives, fists, and feet combined?

sure. but i thought we were talking about this particular kind of thing. maybe it's my imaginzation, but it seems to me these large-fatality shootings are usually perpetrated with this kind of weapon. your typical murder, sure, you're right. mass shooting deaths, am i under a wrong impression as to the weapon usually used?

Handguns have been used in more mass shootings than any type of rifle, including "assault rifles."

https://www.cga.ct.gov/.../rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
//Good idea, because we all know gun control won't work, even some of the time.//

//Thoughts and prayers should take care of this and prevent future incidents//

Next will be bullshit comments about the NRA when these incidents never seem to involve anyone who is a member of the NRA, or who've been through safety training provided through the NRA.

PLEASE NOTE: I'M NOT AN NRA MEMBER NOR A GUN OWNER.

I'll admit, I've never understood why people throw around snarky comments like the above on the immediate heels of a horrible tragedy. Then we'll see gun control banter enter the political fray with proposals for controls that would not have prevented the incident. Very constructive.

What are you ideas other than smartass comments?

Personally, I would like to see laws that require gun security to be stricter when a troubled youth and/or mentally ill person resides in the house. I know there are issues related to the definition of mentally ill / troubled youth but this particular shooter was well-known to authorities. In Sandy Hook, it was well known, atleast within the family and inner circle, the kid had serious mental issues and had access to locked guns.

Maybe this is a place to start?

One problem is that for quite a while there has been virtually no time that has not been immediately on the heels of a mass shooting. If you make that the standard you can never have the conversation.

I'm in favor of a coherent system of gun control. But to do it, we are going to need a rewrite of the second amendment. Good luck with that.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Handguns have been used in more mass shootings than any type of rifle, including "assault rifles."

#2 is probably shotguns.

But by the list, I'm very surprised to see a Ruger Mk3
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm in favor of a coherent system of gun control. But to do it, we are going to need a rewrite of the second amendment. Good luck with that.

I disagree. There are numerous gun control laws that are not enforced and violations that are not prosecuted. Every time this topic comes up, I post a link to Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn's testimony before Congress when he was asked why he did not pursue the thousands of background check violations and he responded, "We're not in a paper chase."

What??? That's disgusting. That's irresponsible. That should be grounds for prosecution for misconduct in public office.

Give me a break. Enforce the laws on the books. That would be the logical start.

GRAHAM: When almost 80,000 people fail a background check and 44 people are prosecuted, what kind of deterrent is that? I mean, the law obviously is not seeing that as importantā€¦. We absolutely do nothing to enforce the laws on the booksā€¦

FLYNN: Just for the record, from my point of view, the point of a background checkā€¦

GRAHAM: How many cases have you made? How many cases have you made?

FLYNN: It doesnā€™t matter, itā€™s a paper thing. I want to stop 76,000 people from getting guns illegally. Thatā€™s what a background check does. If you think weā€™re going to do paperwork prosecutions, youā€™re wrong. [ā€¦] We donā€™t make those cases. We have priorities. We make gun cases. We make 2,000 gun cases a year, senator, thatā€™s our priority. Weā€™re not in a paper chase. Weā€™re trying to prevent the wrong people from buying guns. Thatā€™s why we do background checks. If you think Iā€™m going to do a paper chase, then you think Iā€™m going to misuse my resources.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t see why weā€™d need a rewrite of the 2A to put controls in place intended to keep guns away from ā€˜high riskā€™ individuals given the long list of current gun controls. I could imagine a broad PSA campaign, new laws, and harsh liability for those who enable access for ā€˜high riskā€™. To me, today, Sandy Hook, and Columbine MAY have been prevented with this approach.

(Btw, my wife says hello). ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
Nova wrote:
This is gong on just south of me. Guess you never know where these things are gonna happen. :(

Seriously, earlier this school year at happened 20 minutes from me.

Iā€™ve always been appalled at these events. That has never been a question. But having it hit so close to home as it did really hit me hard and made me feel even more so for the places where these events occur.

I work in a lab and the doors are badge access only so I don't worry about t hings like mass shootings, but the hospital does, we have classes on what to do.

What kind of world is it we live in where you have classes on mass shootings.

I guess you could say the same thing about the practice for the nuclear bomb attacks in the 70's. Hide under your desk, like that's gonna help.

I was watching FoxNews after Sandy Hook. They were interviewing an "expert in school shootings." That's the kind of country we live in. If only there was an easy way to significantly reduce the amount of school shootings.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the last post in the thread:

Violent PEOPLE will commit violent acts.

168 people were killed, including 16 children, when the Alfred P. Murrah federal building was BOMBED.

The BOMBING at the Boston Marathon a few years back did not involve firearms. Common, household pressure cookers.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree that enforcing current laws is a good start. But I suspect that my concept of coherent gun control goes somewhat further than your own.

Though I will say there is no obvious and clear answer even in my simple world where I am king.

What we are doing now is clearly not working well. But I think we are more likely to resolve the abortion debate than the firearms debate. Which is to say, not going to happen.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

probably because they are easier to get hold of. it doesn't mean that the other guns don't have the ability to cause more damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Twisted Stat... they account for far more mass killings then knives, fists or feet.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

probably because they are easier to get hold of. it doesn't mean that the other guns don't have the ability to cause more damage.

But, as the statistics show, they are not causing more damage.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Twisted Stat... they account for far more mass killings then knives, fists or feet.

No. Not even a little bit. See my latest response to Slowman. Keep up.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Or, just carry on and shrug our shoulders as these events just kind of happen every couple months.

Yup, this is now the American way... Every time one of these happens I comment this is just the American way now.

Oddly I don't get much reaction from either side on it. Because both of them are unwilling to compromise and actually do anything.

I think they passed the no bumpstop law, but even that little thing, I am not sure has been enacted. Sad, but true. America doesn't care, just another day.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

No. Not even a little bit. See my latest response to Slowman. Keep up.

Sorrrrryyyyy I reply as I read a thread, so your data... Will return to my normal comments on this topic.

Just another day in America. America has accepted this is the way of life.

Move along.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

See, here is the problem with this debate. Every fucking time we have this debate, we have a display of ignorance on the subject that makes having an intelligent discussion impossible.

People who know nothing about how guns work want to opine on what should and should not be outlawed.

People who do not know the facts about what type of firearms are used most often, even in mass shootings, want to opine on what types of firearms should be banned.

We bitch when health insurance companies opine on patient care over the opinion of the doctors treating the patient. But, then we accept that same level of ignorance on this topic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst americans continue to display the negative attitudes towards gun control shown in this thread, school shootings will continue to be part of their culture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Or, just carry on and shrug our shoulders as these events just kind of happen every couple months.

Yup, this is now the American way... Every time one of these happens I comment this is just the American way now.

Oddly I don't get much reaction from either side on it. Because both of them are unwilling to compromise and actually do anything.

I think they passed the no bumpstop law, but even that little thing, I am not sure has been enacted. Sad, but true. America doesn't care, just another day.

Or we could demand law enforcement officials like Democrat Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn enforce the law.

GRAHAM: When almost 80,000 people fail a background check and 44 people are prosecuted, what kind of deterrent is that? I mean, the law obviously is not seeing that as importantā€¦. We absolutely do nothing to enforce the laws on the booksā€¦

FLYNN: Just for the record, from my point of view, the point of a background checkā€¦

FLYNN: It doesnā€™t matter, itā€™s a paper thing. I want to stop 76,000 people from getting guns illegally. Thatā€™s what a background check does. If you think weā€™re going to do paperwork prosecutions, youā€™re wrong. [ā€¦] We donā€™t make those cases. We have priorities. We make gun cases. We make 2,000 gun cases a year, senator, thatā€™s our priority. Weā€™re not in a paper chase. Weā€™re trying to prevent the wrong people from buying guns. Thatā€™s why we do background checks. If you think Iā€™m going to do a paper chase, then you think Iā€™m going to misuse my resources.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17 confirmed killed (no word yet on the student/teacher/staff ratio) and unknown number of wounded.

Apparently, the 19-year-old shooter, Nikolas Cruz, had been expelled a few months ago and gave every indication that he was a bomb waiting to go off, including on his various social media pages and sites. But as far as we know, there'd been no intervention, either by law enforcement or social services-type agencies.

Cruz was legally an adult, so I don't know how much could have been done if he wasn't breaking any laws or actively threatening to commit mayhem against either the school or individuals associated with it.

I'm wondering if the school had any active shooter countermeasures or prior training of students and staff. Most likely not.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

See, here is the problem with this debate. Every fucking time we have this debate, we have a display of ignorance on the subject that makes having an intelligent discussion impossible.

People who know nothing about how guns work want to opine on what should and should not be outlawed.

People who do not know the facts about what type of firearms are used most often, even in mass shootings, want to opine on what types of firearms should be banned.

We bitch when health insurance companies opine on patient care over the opinion of the doctors treating the patient. But, then we accept that same level of ignorance on this topic.

Your not willing to give an inch. You can not deny removing XXX type gun would reduce / eliminate some weapons used in mass shootings. As you demonstrated in the other posts, when it comes to stat's around guns you can find stat's to make any point you want... Not worth discussing further..

Nothing is going to be done, the gun side won't give in on anything, and the anti gun folks wont give on allowing guns in gun free zones. Both refuse to move from their position. Both would rather have more of these then give up their position. AKA

Just another day in America. American's have accepted this as normal.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Or we could demand law enforcement officials like Democrat Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn enforce the law.

Just keep making my point..

Just another day in America.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next