Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Florida School Shooting
Quote | Reply
Didn’t see anything about this, I just turned on the tv and saw this.

No real facts yet that I’ve seen, still unfolding as I write this.

https://www.google.com/...-shooting/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One responding law enforcement vehicle is a tank?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We saw it a little bit on a recent school shooting, but I think they need to quit publishing the names of the people who do this. They need to refer to them as "the coward" so they don't receive the fame that many appear to be looking for. While it won't stop every school shooting it may have an effect on others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still at large

Police scanner: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/321
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Feb 14, 18 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is gong on just south of me. Guess you never know where these things are gonna happen. :(

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t notice it on cbs, cnn, Fox, msnbc, abc,... thanks
Last edited by: triathlete37: Feb 14, 18 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t notice it on cbs, cnn, Fox, msnbc, abc,... thanks

You're not looking very hard.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
This is gong on just south of me. Guess you never know where these things are gonna happen. :(
Seriously, earlier this school year at happened 20 minutes from me.

I’ve always been appalled at these events. That has never been a question. But having it hit so close to home as it did really hit me hard and made me feel even more so for the places where these events occur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Nova wrote:

I’ve always been appalled at these events. That has never been a question. But having it hit so close to home as it did really hit me hard and made me feel even more so for the places where these events occur.

I work in a lab and the doors are badge access only so I don't worry about t hings like mass shootings, but the hospital does, we have classes on what to do.

What kind of world is it we live in where you have classes on mass shootings.

I guess you could say the same thing about the practice for the nuclear bomb attacks in the 70's. Hide under your desk, like that's gonna help.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
Nova wrote:

I work in a lab and the doors are badge access only so I don't worry about t hings like mass shootings, but the hospital does, we have classes on what to do.

What kind of world is it we live in where you have classes on mass shootings.

I guess you could say the same thing about the practice for the nuclear bomb attacks in the 70's. Hide under your desk, like that's gonna help.

I work in badged access and we still had active shooter training before the last layoff. As if people losing their jobs isn’t depressing enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
17 dead

Thoughts and prayers should take care of this and prevent future incidents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Didn’t see anything about this, I just turned on the tv and saw this.

No real facts yet that I’ve seen, still unfolding as I write this.

https://www.google.com/...-shooting/index.html

Just another day in America Schools.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just found out a good friend's daughter goes to that school. She is home and safe.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
We saw it a little bit on a recent school shooting, but I think they need to quit publishing the names of the people who do this. They need to refer to them as "the coward" so they don't receive the fame that many appear to be looking for. While it won't stop every school shooting it may have an effect on others.

Good idea, because we all know gun control won't work, even some of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

We've had hundreds of these conversations and nobody on the gun-control side is able to provide a convincing argument as to how gun control could be effectively implemented to stop something like this. Drugs are illegal and yet I imagine there are more drugs in any given school than guns. But let's keep focusing on something that would likely make a minimal difference, if any, versus looking for other solutions that address one of the roots of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//Good idea, because we all know gun control won't work, even some of the time.//

//Thoughts and prayers should take care of this and prevent future incidents//

Next will be bullshit comments about the NRA when these incidents never seem to involve anyone who is a member of the NRA, or who've been through safety training provided through the NRA.

PLEASE NOTE: I'M NOT AN NRA MEMBER NOR A GUN OWNER.

I'll admit, I've never understood why people throw around snarky comments like the above on the immediate heels of a horrible tragedy. Then we'll see gun control banter enter the political fray with proposals for controls that would not have prevented the incident. Very constructive.

What are you ideas other than smartass comments?

Personally, I would like to see laws that require gun security to be stricter when a troubled youth and/or mentally ill person resides in the house. I know there are issues related to the definition of mentally ill / troubled youth but this particular shooter was well-known to authorities. In Sandy Hook, it was well known, atleast within the family and inner circle, the kid had serious mental issues and had access to locked guns.

Maybe this is a place to start?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
//Good idea, because we all know gun control won't work, even some of the time.//

//Thoughts and prayers should take care of this and prevent future incidents//

Next will be bullshit comments about the NRA when these incidents never seem to involve anyone who is a member of the NRA, or who've been through safety training provided through the NRA.

PLEASE NOTE: I'M NOT AN NRA MEMBER NOR A GUN OWNER.

I'll admit, I've never understood why people throw around snarky comments like the above on the immediate heels of a horrible tragedy. Then we'll see gun control banter enter the political fray with proposals for controls that would not have prevented the incident. Very constructive.

What are you ideas other than smartass comments?

Personally, I would like to see laws that require gun security to be stricter when a troubled youth and/or mentally ill person resides in the house. I know there are issues related to the definition of mentally ill / troubled youth but this particular shooter was well-known to authorities. In Sandy Hook, it was well known, atleast within the family and inner circle, the kid had serious mental issues and had access to locked guns.

Maybe this is a place to start?

How about we outlaw guns like the one used? For starters?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the snark comes from both side of the gun debate being thoroughly frustrated with the stalemate in conversation. You know some idiot is going to come on here saying "maybe we should just ban butter knifes because they dangerous too!!!" Etc. It gets tiresome.

Personally, I don't think there is anything really to do in terms of gun control in the US. The population doesn't want it, and it's not right to force it on them. Also, to be effective gun control would have to be far reaching, drastic and nation wide, which will never happen. But, I do hope strong 2A advocates at least think of those 17 coffins in the ground next time they go target shooting, as the reality is their freedom is paid for in the blood of a lot of innocent people.

I think you're on the right track that responsibility for these sort of things should fall at the feet of those who own or are supplying weapon that get used in these types of events.

Or, just carry on and shrug our shoulders as these events just kind of happen every couple months.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Because "assault rifles" account for fewer murders than knives, fists, and feet combined?

https://www.statista.com/...e-us-by-weapon-used/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Personally, I don't think there is anything really to do in terms of gun control in the US. The population doesn't want it, and it's not right to force it on them. Also, to be effective gun control would have to be far reaching, drastic and nation wide, which will never happen. But, I do hope strong 2A advocates at least think of those 17 coffins in the ground next time they go target shooting, as the reality is their freedom is paid for in the blood of a lot of innocent people.

That is an obscene comment and you truly should feel ashamed for making it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
That'll never work.
#Straya

Or, you could just keep on doing what you're doing and accept that weekly mass shootings are the price you pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the context of being immediately after a school shooting when tempers and emotions are high, sure, I'll give you that maybe it's not the appropriate time for that comment.

It is 100% true though that there is a cost to your right to arms and your culture around guns, and that cost is a lot of lost innocent life.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
In the context of being immediately after a school shooting when tempers and emotions are high, sure, I'll give you that maybe it's not the appropriate time for that comment.

It is 100% true though that there is a cost to your right to arms and your culture around guns, and that cost is a lot of lost innocent life.

Gun ownership is an incredible responsibility that entails not only safeguarding the firearms, but being proficient in their usage. Responsible gun owners regularly go to the range to ensure then proficiency, which is exactly what they should do. For you to impugn those who take seriously these responsibilities displays your ignorance. You claim that I, acting as a responsible gun owner, should feel shame every time I go to the range as I should? Really? Then fuck you.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
tri_kid wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

We've had hundreds of these conversations and nobody on the gun-control side is able to provide a convincing argument as to how gun control could be effectively implemented to stop something like this. Drugs are illegal and yet I imagine there are more drugs in any given school than guns. But let's keep focusing on something that would likely make a minimal difference, if any, versus looking for other solutions that address one of the roots of the problem.

Where else in the world do these school shootings happen regularly? The root of the problem is easy access to firearms and americans thinking that a gun is somehow going to solve a problem. which is aligned with some americans and their obsession with guns and the right to 'bare arms'.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida School Shooting [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree re: ownership and responsibility.

But your right to practice that responsibility also allows countless others who are irresponsible, reckless, and unstable access to guns.

And no, I don't feel guilt for those who die in car crashes whenever I get behind the wheel. Vehicles are not guns, are not bananas, are not can openers.

Quote Reply

Prev Next