Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spike in telemarketing calls? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got two on my cell phone today.

Good news is I had a nice chat with one person about their life choices and how their mother is disappointed in them. Plus I found someone to discuss getting an extended warrany for my 1933 Ferrari Testarosa. I'm not sure they can help me though.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one last week, where the "unknown caller" said he was So-and-So from some Energy company or something: He asked how I was doing, and I said simply, "Annoyed." His response was "You bitch" and hung up.
I don't usually answer, but had some other things going on so I needed to pick up.

My husband and I get spoofed calls that we don't answer from cell numbers that share our prefix all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed an increase as well lately. Here are my rules:

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.
If they don't leave a vm - I block the caller and delete the call.

If I don't know you, I probably don't want to talk to you. And if it's important, leave a message.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I answer the phone one more time to hear "your Google listing is out of date! Stay on the line to update your information" I'm going to lose it.

My wife was called by a scam artist posing as a CRA auditor yesterday. She passed the phone to me, her 'lawyer'. The dude hung up pretty quickly.

The sad part is a lot of old people get taken by that scam.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Spike in telemarketing calls? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, your wife and I are both going to jail. Oh well, shit happens. I here the food is okay.
Quote Reply
Re: Spike in telemarketing calls? [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
My husband and I get spoofed calls that we don't answer from cell numbers that share our prefix all the time.

over the past year or so this has become way more common. really annoying. i've gotten voicemails from callers with a similar number to mine (area code and first 3 digits usually) who also ask why my number was calling them (i did not actually call them). shit's annoying as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've noticed a massive increase in the number of calls to my private number, many of which originate from what appears to be a local number. Six months ago it was one every other day or so, now it's between five and ten daily. When I answer on the rare occasion it's usually health insurance related, always from a different number, and always identified by my caller ID service as "spammer."

Anyone else having this problem recently? I heard about a report recently that explained how telemaketers achieved some major victory regarding the do not call list, but never looked into it.

Yes, in Texas and has been a noticeable increase in the last couple months (I assume we're talking cell phones here). Much of what appears to be coming from a local area code. No voice mails are ever left. I dont' answer numbers I don't know out of habit, so no idea what they are shilling.

However, I agree, it is a marked increase.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cell phone had been getting deluged with telemarketing calls. I registered it with the FCC as a no call device, and as soon as I hung up on a telemarketer, I immediately blocked that number from calling again. Both of those seem to help quite a bit, as the number of calls a day has dropped dramatically, to the point that I rarely get them anymore.

Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Everyone else goes into my "Anonymous" group. I then set it to ask for their name before it rings through (most spammers and robocalls will hang up at this point). If it still goes through, I have the option to take the call after I hear their name. If it goes to voicemail, they get the default system greeting.

can you quickly share how you do this?

Quote | Reply
Ditto this, please. Absolutely need this in my life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some positive action by the govt on this thankfully: 100 million robo calls gets fine of $1.2 per call. Need a task force to go after more of these guys

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Spike in telemarketing calls? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot of this shit is coming from overseas, they don't care about US law
Quote Reply

Prev Next