Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long will Kelly last? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
You left out the part that says they've been reasonably accurate to date.

Do you mean that the original model(s), with just additional data give the same results?

Or that the updated models, with updated (manipulated) data, give the same results, but additional funding for more research is needed?

I am not saying that I know that they are wrong, they could be right.

Do I believe the basic science, sure. But I have far less confidence in complex, predictive, models (including economic).

Again with the "manipulated data" shtick. Everyone who has looked at the data with an open mind has determined that the data has not been "manipulated." As we learn more, we can use the raw data better, but the underlying data doesn't change. Go look at berkeleyearth.org and learn where they started and where they ended up. That is, if you actually want to learn anything. Which I doubt.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Again with the "manipulated data" shtick. Everyone who has looked at the data with an open mind has determined that the data has not been "manipulated." As we learn more, we can use the raw data better, but the underlying data doesn't change. Go look at berkeleyearth.org and learn where they started and where they ended up. That is, if you actually want to learn anything. Which I doubt.

By use the raw data better, I assume you mean, corrected, or fixed, or adjusted, or changed, or manipulated. ;-)

I would like to learn more, but I have a day job and don't have years to study the basic science and the data and the models to speak authoritatively about climate change. But I do know enough, even as a layman to know that complex, multi-variable models, are not accurate in the predictions. Or we wouldn't have weather disasters, or economic crashes, etc.

That plus the financial incentive behind continued study of climate change, and the (unable to accurately predict) economic consequences of the proposed 'solutions', leaves me a skeptic who isn't going to make any major lifestyle changes (not that many of the proponent of CC have) based on the models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

By use the raw data better, I assume you mean, corrected, or fixed, or adjusted, or changed, or manipulated. ;-)

I would like to learn more, but I have a day job and don't have years to study the basic science and the data and the models to speak authoritatively about climate change. But I do know enough, even as a layman to know that complex, multi-variable models, are not accurate in the predictions. Or we wouldn't have weather disasters, or economic crashes, etc.

That plus the financial incentive behind continued study of climate change, and the (unable to accurately predict) economic consequences of the proposed 'solutions', leaves me a skeptic who isn't going to make any major lifestyle changes (not that many of the proponent of CC have) based on the models.

I mean exactly what I wrote. If we determine that certain data measurements have some built-in error, we adjust how the data is used, and we get better input for the models.

You don't know enough if you think that models can predict weather disasters. Sorry.

With all the funding available behind the climate skeptics (Koch brothers, fossil fuel interests, Heartland), *nothing* has been found to contradict the current research on climate change. Not a damned thing. Financial interest, cut me a break. The best thing that could happen to a climate researcher would be to find that climate change was not caused by humans. We're talking Nobel Prize territory. Yet you think there is this huge incentive to continue to refine models.

Lifestyle changes aren't the issue. Putting environmentally responsible policies in place are the issue, and that starts at the ballot box.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
we adjust how the data is used, and we get the result we want from the models.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a video showing how some models seem to predict temperatures. Hit pause as you go to study the slides.

However, predicting, for instance the last 30 years, could have been done by simply drawing pretty much a straight line on the same slope as the rise in temperature for about the first half or three quarters of the last century. I could have been just as accurate extrapolating by hand.

We have had a pretty steady rise in temperature over the last 50 years. I sure hope they can make a model the matches that. We won't know the flaws in the models until the rising trend changes drastically in one direction or another. Remember too that according to the IPCC, about half the rise has been natural.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
I would be hard pressed to find an experiment in any field that doesn't manipulate raw data. There is a reason that we do Cal/Val and it isn't to get the results we want, it is to get results period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably already know I (along with many scientists) have little confidence in the models that are out there, modeling does need to improve. Recent news on a new study that shows things may not be as bad as feared:

That “known unknown” is called equilibrium climate sensitivity, and for the last 25 years the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change – the ultimate authority on climate science – has settled on a range of 1.5C to 4.5C (2.7 to 8.1 degrees Fahrenheit).
Cox and colleagues, using a new methodology, have come up with a far narrower range: 2.2C to 3.4C, with a best estimate of 2.8C.
-
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jan/18/worst-case-global-warming-scenarios-not-credible-says-study
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, are all y'all trying to say the Kelly is going to be fired for climate change? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
i think he is a long way from the front of the line at the exit and they all can't leave in 2 months - so I'll go for over

he's been one of the disappointments to me. Some of his actions make him seem like a true believer rather than a moderating influence, although that may just be a following orders things.

Also, wasn't impressed with him not being able to comprehend that a grieving widow may need to receive a different type of phone call to a fellow general getting the same message about his son.

Still, i don't think he's front of the queue at the exit door unless he goes crazy and starts talking about DJT evolving his thinking on anything

Still happy with your "over 2 months" position? I'm going to double down on "under".
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly will last as long as Trump thinks his value as chief of staff is greater than the damage he could do as a potential witness. Or said another way the damage he does a chief of staff is less than the damage he could do as a potential witness.

So it might be a long time.

Kelly has disappointed me, especially in the last few weeks. He was one of the few that I had hoped would help level and positively influence POTUS.

His comments this week about DACA and immigrants are not in keeping with the values and ethos I thought he possessed. His comments about Porter, his political naivety about what he said about it, and inability to read the room show me he is not as grounded in the principles I thought he was. I was wrong about Kelly. He is not the man I thought he was.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think he realized he wasn't going to escape before Tillerson Rosenstein, and Sessions unless he went really crazy.

not sure i would go "over" if the cut off was the end of the week given what we know now. The week started bad for him with the dreamer comments, crashed over the Porter stuff and now the defense of Todd Shane Tomko is getting some airtime. There isn't enough space here to list all of the really bad things Tomko has done but Kelly thought he was a fine officer.

Maybe Kelly's comments on Tomko were taken out of context, but i don't see how he can continue with that and everything else. If nothing else he looks like a completely hopeless judge of people and situations. i guess Tillerson, Rosenstein and Sessions will have to wait.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Q: what's Kelley's favorite kind of shirt?

A: the wifebeater!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hoped for the same thing about kelly. However, my opinion on him went down after the whole calling congresswoman wilson (the one with the weird hats) an "empty barrel" and claiming that during a speech she has being a self promoter. Then when video came out showing nothing of the sorts, he didnt apologize. Instead he said something along the lines of "well me and my friends remembered and interpreted it differently."
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly, like everyone else in the administration, will be there until they start getting more airtime on the news programs than Trump.

Just a wild guess though.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:

-
Just reported that a second staffer (speech writer) is leaving due to domestic abuse. Wow
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
spookini wrote:

-
Just reported that a second staffer (speech writer) is leaving due to domestic abuse. Wow

David Soreson, a speech writer, resigned today amid allegations he has been physically and verbally abusive to his wife.

I wonder if he was one of the 30+ staffers still awaiting to receive their full security clearances after 13 months.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Kelly, like everyone else in the administration, will be there until they start getting more airtime on the news programs than Trump.

Just a wild guess though.

Kelly reportedly offering to step down...

https://www.nytimes.com/...mp-porter-abuse.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some say.....Corey L. Ratted on Porter because they both interested in Hope H. And Kelly is not sharpest knife in drawer and directed staff to make up bogus story on when he was made aware. Some say....
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

His comments this week about DACA and immigrants are not in keeping with the values and ethos I thought he possessed.

Yeah, I don't understand why he's inserting himself publicly into ideological debates. I fully understand that part of his job is advancing Trump's agenda, but I thought he'd do so in a more professional, restrained way. He almost seems to have some desire to be a politician himself, rather than just manager of the White House staff. Among "my generals" I'm much preferring Mattis and McMaster.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We knew the man at the top is a bit nuts, but the supporting cast seems increasingly like a ragtag collection of wacky B-listers, all brought together to fight it out on a reality TV show.
Oh.. wait a minute..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... interested in Hope H.

Is there anyone who isn't?

(Standing by, steadfastly hoping this devolves into a normal LR thread with bathing suits.)
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe one, Mike Pence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Maybe one, Mike Pence.

No way! He's having a (somewhat late) private dinner with her at this very moment.

Reports vary on exactly how private it is, though. Mrs. Pence might be there. Good clean fun.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Kelly last? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is McMaster in hiding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Is McMaster in hiding?

That's the question I'd hoped we'd be asking about Kelly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next