Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are really relevant conversations. It is easy to say all those bastards should be fired etc but all sorts of people knew about this stuff and did nothing because many of them made the similar thought processes to the victims.

Think about the victims all of them were highly invested in their gymnastics careers. Years of sacrifice. The parents same thing spending ten of thousand of dollars likely thousand of hours of time. If they made a public complaint good chance all of that gone. Many of the victims were high profile. If someone had held a press conference or wrote a public letter good chance it would have blew the whole thing open but they didn't for reasons we are starting to understand.

Now think of all the people who really just worker bees at MSU. They likely figured quite rightly that if they made a public accusation they likely would have lost their jobs and maybe made pariahs no chance of job in their profession etc. I am all for holding the folks in charge responsible. If you are the head of NCAA and you have 34 complaints about one school on your desk something seriously wrong about not doing something. Same with president of MSU.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an MSU grad, father of 3 young athletic girls and a youth sports coach, I’ve followed this pretty close.
What I find baffling is that any parent would allow a doctor to insert fingers into their daughter under the guise of helping fix an injury that will allow the kid to continue to compete in a sport.
If a doc said to me “your kid will get a chance at a gold medal if I’m just allowed to place a finger inside of her vagina and/or rectum”- this is the exact point that my daughter hangs up her gymnastics uniform forever.
And I’m probably in jail for assault at the mere suggestion that this is a viable medical procedure.
Maybe, maybe if you tell me that this is a known cure for some type of terminal disease that my kid has. And this procedure has a high success rate if the procedure is done.
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
These are really relevant conversations. It is easy to say all those bastards should be fired etc but all sorts of people knew about this stuff and did nothing because many of them made the similar thought processes to the victims.

Think about the victims all of them were highly invested in their gymnastics careers. Years of sacrifice. The parents same thing spending ten of thousand of dollars likely thousand of hours of time. If they made a public complaint good chance all of that gone. Many of the victims were high profile. If someone had held a press conference or wrote a public letter good chance it would have blew the whole thing open but they didn't for reasons we are starting to understand.

Now think of all the people who really just worker bees at MSU. They likely figured quite rightly that if they made a public accusation they likely would have lost their jobs and maybe made pariahs no chance of job in their profession etc. I am all for holding the folks in charge responsible. If you are the head of NCAA and you have 34 complaints about one school on your desk something seriously wrong about not doing something. Same with president of MSU.

Everything you just noted is EXACTLY why MSU ended up with former Republican governor John Engler as interim president, someone I'm sure the faculty and administration absolutely abhors.

He's now working to fire (i.e. revoke the tenure of) Nassar's former boss, William Strampel, who was the dean of the MSU medical school (an osteopathic college of medicine) and who oversaw the criminal doctor's activities for part of his time affiliated with MSU, as well as stating that the university will refuse to cover any of the legal expenses Strampel will occur as a result of his part in the Nassar tragedy. He's also worked to get a couple of other higher-ups in the university's medical department suspended.

Plus, MSU has seen gifts dip by 25%, possibly as a result of Nassar and his decades-long sex predator crime spree, which MSU appears to have been reluctant to do anything about, on the face of things.

Engler will do well if he sweeps the state school clean from stem to stern and puts in place mechanisms to ensure something like this never happens again. This includes working with the legislature to prohibit these state chartered and authorized universities (including the University of Michigan and Wayne State University) from being allowed to conduct their own criminal investigations or any sort of internal investigations where a crime as defined by statute appears to have taken place.

Universities and their campus police departments are in no way equipped to undertake such activities and they are not autonomous entities unto themselves. They answer to the people of the state and their elected representatives, something I think public colleges and universities across the country need to be reminded of at this point.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: This nightmare at MSU keeps getting worse if that's possible [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
As an MSU grad, father of 3 young athletic girls and a youth sports coach, I’ve followed this pretty close.
What I find baffling is that any parent would allow a doctor to insert fingers into their daughter under the guise of helping fix an injury that will allow the kid to continue to compete in a sport.
If a doc said to me “your kid will get a chance at a gold medal if I’m just allowed to place a finger inside of her vagina and/or rectum”- this is the exact point that my daughter hangs up her gymnastics uniform forever.
And I’m probably in jail for assault at the mere suggestion that this is a viable medical procedure.
Maybe, maybe if you tell me that this is a known cure for some type of terminal disease that my kid has. And this procedure has a high success rate if the procedure is done.

1) It apparently is a very conventional treatment. Though there were several precautionary steps he didn't follow (wearing gloves for one)

2) One of the other steps he did not follow, was getting consent before hand. So later in his carreer he started having parents sign consent forms with every visit, that just had boil plate you agree to allow me to do what I need to kind of wording (sorry don't know exact wording).

3) Some parents were in the room, but he put up a privacy screen so they did not know exactly what he was doing.

As someone so involved in Kids athletics I am sure your aware, most parents are very protective of their kids, and I am sure most of these parents feel horrible, and would have said the same thing you said above. I don't think adding shaming to the parents of the victims does much good. Do you go to all your Dr. appt and know every procedure being done (assuming you have teenage girls, I'm particularly thinking of their yearly exams? )

As a former coach, father of 3 daughters who did H.S. athletics and one is in college. These events are horrific, but before this had someone said hey this is the best Dr. to see, more than likely that's where I would have gone. Young girls emotions are all over the place, so noticing a change is sometimes very hard.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next