Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What if, in your analogy, the best and the brightest are the ones who want to leave the Browns, and only the bottom of the barrel feel like they need to leave the Pats?

In a merit based system, where they come from isn't really relevant. What matters is the attributes that they, as individuals, possess.

Part of my proposal here is that there are more scales of measuring people than good resumes. Often times the "best and brightest" in shitholes don't give even the tiniest little rat's ass about their fellow countrymen. That's not something that randomly occurs. That's something they learn everyday. You think we have entitled people in Western countries? You ain't seen nothing.

If you think you are out of the woods for poor citizenship candidates just because you're looking at a Ph.D. or something, then you are wrong.
Last edited by: SH: Jan 15, 18 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. And not only that but the Browns may be suffering for many other reasons, like having been colonialized and abused for generations, had their natural resources pillaged and then left to cope with corrupt management. But SH just wants to blame the shitty players...
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Jan 15, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Agreed. And not only that but the Browns may be suffering for many other reasons, like having been colonialized and abused for generations, had their natural resources pillaged and then left to cope with corrupt management. But SH just wants to blame the shitty players...

I don't believe that the white man is the only type of human being capable of agency in this world, no. But I can't make everyone think that.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Often times the "best and brightest" in shitholes don't give even the tiniest little rat's ass about their fellow countrymen.

Often? Can you provide any support for this assertion?

I'm half-hoping I've quoted you out of context or something, because frankly I find that statement appalling.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
SH wrote:
Often times the "best and brightest" in shitholes don't give even the tiniest little rat's ass about their fellow countrymen.

Often? Can you provide any support for this assertion?

I'm half-hoping I've quoted you out of context or something, because frankly I find that statement appalling.

I've seen it, and you're correct, it is appalling. However, I get the sense that you find it also surprising.

Maybe you would only describe the "best and brightest" as people who did care about their fellow countrymen? That's fair. When I refer to "best and brightest" I'm using mostly power and class, which typically encompasses education too.

Edit: As far as providing more support... I have lived in highly disfunctional countries (shitholes). I am fascinated by these places. How can they exist in modern times? How might they be fixed? Any chance I get to commiserate and share theories with people that also have lived in similar countries, I do so.
Last edited by: SH: Jan 16, 18 3:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What if, in your analogy, the best and the brightest are the ones who want to leave the Browns, and only the bottom of the barrel feel like they need to leave the Pats?

In a merit based system, where they come from isn't really relevant. What matters is the attributes that they, as individuals, possess.

You know, I thought about this a bit more. I don't see how the merit based system should be affected by country of origin. First, the merit based aspect would break things up already by keeping the incoming groups smaller. Second, it's almost impossible to know or quantify any of the other attributes I'm concerned about, so what am I going to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Part of my proposal here is that there are more scales of measuring people than good resumes. Often times the "best and brightest" in shitholes don't give even the tiniest little rat's ass about their fellow countrymen. That's not something that randomly occurs. That's something they learn everyday. You think we have entitled people in Western countries? You ain't seen nothing.

If you think you are out of the woods for poor citizenship candidates just because you're looking at a Ph.D. or something, then you are wrong.

This is anecdotal.

In the years 2000-2002 I was stuck living on the Mexican side of the border in Nogales. We were stuck there waiting endlessly for my wife to get a US visa.

The US government refused to give her any kind of entrance Visa except a green card- that is what she was eligible for because she was married to a American citizen (me). And it took them 22 months to get around to issuing the Green Card. (There is no word that expresses my hatred for there bastards).

We knew several high level cartel members during our time in Nogales.
Two of these Cartel members were given business Visas to enter and live in the US (in a matter of days). One of these mafiosos was wanted by the Mexican government - so he desperately needed the Visa.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm white, speak English, gainfully employed, and have a sizeable 401(k) plan. I'm in, no question! Although you likely won't let me bring the lazy Mexican portion of the family.

Canada has had a points system since the 1960's but I don't think Trump understands the results here. We're not a country full of Norwegians and we are in fact, one of the most diverse in the world. In 2016, the top 5 countries of migrants here were from the Philippines, India, China, Iran and Pakistan, not exactly the Norways of the world.

The thing Trump doesn't seem to understand is that there are lots of qualified people from shithole countries so a point system isn't going to do what he wants and weed them out. Canada has proven that the exact opposite happens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know that's bullshit and not what I said or alluded to. As others have said, you completely twisted that to argue what you wanted to argue, not what was actually said.

SH wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
You have twisted his statement into a ludicrous mess..

First, you guys are the ones doing the twisting. Trump spoke about immigrants from shitholes, but you guys want to change that to just immigrants or just poor immigrants. That's inaccurate in important ways. I know. Who gives a damn about accuracy when we're talking about Trump? But irregardless of Trump, I'm not ready to throw the ENTIRE line of reasoning down the toilet because Trump said it in an insensitive way, and you can write down some cliches about immigrants.

Secondly, you are missing the only important aspect of Trump's comment. Namely, what cultural, educational, and ethical factors lead a people to create a true shithole? And, are those cultural, educational, and ethical factors transferable to the immigrants' new country of destination.

According to MidwestRoadie, all the immigrants (from shitholes I presume) are great. My comment was to point out, if they're all so great, then why do they come from a shithole? This is not an unserious question, and it's not twisting things into a ludicrous mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've given up trying to decipher SH's arguments.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed that no matter what the evidence is, SH can always use to point to SH's pre-determined conclusion. I've concluded that SH is Sara Huckabee and getting her talking points from the LR, but at a total loss now that Windywave, Old Hickory, Duffy, and CruseVegas are no longer here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm amazed that no matter what the evidence is, SH can always use to point to SH's pre-determined conclusion. I've concluded that SH is Sara Huckabee and getting her talking points from the LR, but at a total loss now that Windywave, Old Hickory, Duffy, and CruseVegas are no longer here.

Genius! It all fits perfectly!!
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I'm white, speak English, gainfully employed, and have a sizeable 401(k) plan. I'm in, no question! Although you likely won't let me bring the lazy Mexican portion of the family.

Canada has had a points system since the 1960's but I don't think Trump understands the results here. We're not a country full of Norwegians and we are in fact, one of the most diverse in the world. In 2016, the top 5 countries of migrants here were from the Philippines, India, China, Iran and Pakistan, not exactly the Norways of the world.

The thing Trump doesn't seem to understand is that there are lots of qualified people from shithole countries so a point system isn't going to do what he wants and weed them out. Canada has proven that the exact opposite happens.

He gets it. You permit in producers while keeping out the consumers. It's brilliant! He wants to do the same here.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've concluded that SH is Sara Huckabee and getting her talking points from the LR, but at a total loss now that Windywave, Old Hickory, Duffy, and CruseVegas are no longer here.

Where'd they go? Though no big loss....
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's already been discussed and cannot be spoken about again. ;-)

tyrod1 wrote:
Where'd they go? Though no big loss....
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure we definitively answered this today.

https://www.foxnews.com/...n-sunady-tweet-storm

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

He certainly sounds like one. That’s an old standard of the racists I grew up around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Yeah, when you tell people to go back to the country they came from and they were born and raised here....you might be a racist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump could hang a noose in every window of the White House and some of these idiots would explain it away as a celebration of National Knot Awareness Month.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yeah, when you tell people to go back to the country they came from and they were born and raised here....you might be a racist.

That's technically xenophobia and factual ignorance which doesn't mean he isn't racist but does make your statement inaccurate
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trumps statement in its entirety is racist. Full stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:

That's technically xenophobia and factual ignorance which doesn't mean he isn't racist but does make your statement inaccurate

To be xenophobia wouldn’t the people need to actually be from somewhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Trumps statement in its entirety is racist. Full stop.

How so? It is clearly xenophobic and insulting but your claim that it is racist is soley because of who he directed it at.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yes but he clearly erroneously does otherwise the statement is nonsensical
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yeah, like Norway.
Quote Reply

Prev Next