Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i don't think the issue is that he's calling countries shitholes that are, objectively, shitholes. i've lived in some shitholes and can definitely say that they exist: bad infrastructure, corruption, endemic disease, etc.

as i see it, the issue is that he's impugning everyone who comes from those shitholes, purely because they come from shitholes (which is the very definition of prejudice). the problem is the countries, not the people.

It takes people to create problems. It takes people to solve problems. It takes people to let problems linger. Ergo, it takes people to create shitholes. Countries have no agency without people. I thought it was clear that Trump was impugning an immigration strategy of randomly gathering from human cultural failure.

Edit: As I think about it, nature can create problems, too. However, my interpretation of "shithole" was the importance of the man-made component of the problems.
Last edited by: SH: Jan 12, 18 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
You still haven't explained why you think we wouldn't want refugees from those "shithole" countries living in our homes.

What I said was "My guess is you wouldn't want a refuge from a "shithole" country living in your house, but I don't think that makes you a racist because I don't think you're considering the race of the person when you make that judgement. "

You're emphasizing the wrong part of the statement. If you do want refugees from "shithole" countries living in your house then more power to you. But you're not less racist than the person who doesn't because I don't think race would play into that decision making process for most people, certainly not for the person to whom my comment was addressed. Are you saying he's a racist if my guess is correct? Cuz I don't think he is.

So taking the person who you think doesn't want refugees from shithole countries, why do you guess he doesn't want them? What do you "guess" is the basis for that decision?

I mean, you're not suggesting they don't want any refugees 'period' living in their house. You said you guess they wouldn't want refugees from those shithole countries living in their house? For what reason would they not want those particular refugees?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
where is country of origin in our list of criteria?

HA HA HA HA!

Really???????

Education, language, employment experience, and adaptability. You don't see those are pretexts for country of origin???

HA! HA! HA! HA!

WOW. JUST, WOW!!!

Now I have to go to the TIL thread and post the things I learned today: Canadians are racist and not too bright ...

right.

We all know that there are no English or French speaking Africans with PhDs and employment experience. That should be obvious.

edit - did you read the link to see what the detailed criteria are?

Question: do you think its easier or harder to become a PhD if you are below the poverty line as 80% of Haitians are?

Harder.

What's your point? That Canada is selective about who comes in? No one is disputing that.

Country of origin isn't an explicit criteria though.

It takes either a shit-ton of balls or a plethora of ignorance for our Canadian friends to criticize anything having to do with immigration.

this is the point
[/quote]
serious question. do you ever actually contribute a meaningful original thought to any discussion, or do you just wave some pom poms and slap the backs of the conservative ball washers here, with the odd snide remark to boot?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
where is country of origin in our list of criteria?

HA HA HA HA!

Really???????

Education, language, employment experience, and adaptability. You don't see those are pretexts for country of origin???

HA! HA! HA! HA!

WOW. JUST, WOW!!!

Now I have to go to the TIL thread and post the things I learned today: Canadians are racist and not too bright ...

right.

We all know that there are no English or French speaking Africans with PhDs and employment experience. That should be obvious.

edit - did you read the link to see what the detailed criteria are?

Question: do you think its easier or harder to become a PhD if you are below the poverty line as 80% of Haitians are?

Harder.

What's your point? That Canada is selective about who comes in? No one is disputing that.

Country of origin isn't an explicit criteria though.

It takes either a shit-ton of balls or a plethora of ignorance for our Canadian friends to criticize anything having to do with immigration.

this is the point

serious question. do you ever actually contribute a meaningful original thought to any discussion, or do you just wave some pom poms and slap the backs of the conservative ball washers here, with the odd snide remark to boot?[/quote]
I don't believe that is a serious question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"rhetorical" probably more accurate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

probably.

done with you now. Too dangerous. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

probably.

done with you now. Too dangerous. Good luck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_JRjJtNSw
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

JSA is still pissed because he wanted to move to BC and his application was rejected.

I have not pursued this yet, but, you are absolutely correct - I would be VERY butt hurt if I were finally able to move to BC and was rejected! I make no secret my love of that area.

I'm reasonably well connected here. With my help, and a little luck, your application will DEFINITELY be rejected ;-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing that every defender missed with the "are these comments racist?" discussion was all the other things that Trump has already said.

Just for Haitians and Africans, we know that Trump has already said that all Haitians have Aids. He's also said that Africans live in huts.

Does this make it more or less likely that his shithole comments have a basis in race?

Then add all the comments about Mexican rapists, and defending tiki torch marchers and it seems well in line with a race based statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
The thing that every defender missed....

honest question here. Do you really think this? Do you really think they have missed what he has said before?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rhetorical flourish. I meant "didn't give enough weight to"

My point was more that in saying that this is purely about attributes of countries (this country is bad, so what if he called it bad), what we also need to do is look at his statements in the context of all the other crap that he spews. In this case, given what we know what Trump has already said things with racial overtones - his comments about Hatians having AIDS and Nigerians living in huts being especially noteworthy- his subsequent comments about people from those countries should also be interpreted in light about what he has already said about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump is making it easy to tell who are the good people, and who are the bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

My point was more that in saying that this is purely about attributes of countries (this country is bad, so what if he called it bad), what we also need to do is look at his statements in the context of all the other crap that he spews. In this case, given what we know what Trump has already said things with racial overtones - his comments about Hatians having AIDS and Nigerians living in huts being especially noteworthy- his subsequent comments about people from those countries should also be interpreted in light about what he has already said about them.

Racial overtones? Your cherry picked context? No thanks.

I have a question. Why is it so important to get to racist? Why isn't a critique of any particular policy good enough?
In this case I have to admire JasoninHalifax for his ability to approach these matters -- whether we agree or disagree.
Ignorant people telling you how you really feel about an issue gets old fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
You still haven't explained why you think we wouldn't want refugees from those "shithole" countries living in our homes.

What I said was "My guess is you wouldn't want a refuge from a "shithole" country living in your house, but I don't think that makes you a racist because I don't think you're considering the race of the person when you make that judgement. "

You're emphasizing the wrong part of the statement. If you do want refugees from "shithole" countries living in your house then more power to you. But you're not less racist than the person who doesn't because I don't think race would play into that decision making process for most people, certainly not for the person to whom my comment was addressed. Are you saying he's a racist if my guess is correct? Cuz I don't think he is.

So taking the person who you think doesn't want refugees from shithole countries, why do you guess he doesn't want them? What do you "guess" is the basis for that decision?

I mean, you're not suggesting they don't want any refugees 'period' living in their house. You said you guess they wouldn't want refugees from those shithole countries living in their house? For what reason would they not want those particular refugees?

I’m not sure there is such a thing as a refugee from a country that’s not a shithole so refugee and shithole country go together for me. l can see why your confused though so apologies for that. Curious, what trap is it that you’re trying to set here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob2681 wrote:
Wasn’t suprised when he wouldn’t rent to Blacks in the 70’s. Wasn’t suprised the way he treated the Central Park 5. Wasn’t suprised when he ran for years with that birther bullshit. And not suprised now when he calls African and Haiti countries shitholes.

Where are all the Christians denouncing this...oh yeah they were good with “grab ‘em by the pussy”.

I have just waded through 8 pages of nonsense.

The Trumpsters just can't admit that their Mandarine hero is a out and out racist.

No surprise. If you admit a guy you like is a racist, that will make you have to examine your own outlook.

So the knee jerk reaction is to deny, obfuscate or just avoid the discussion.

But we all know the fucking fat dotard is a racist. We ALL do.

Some of us just don't want it to be true. No point in arguing with those guys. They are truly afflicted with TDSDS.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There is absolutely no false equivalency here. Trump is saying - we do not want to bring into this country people who cannot contribute and will be a drain on resources. That is exactly the model employed by the Canadians. They are doing exactly what Trump is suggesting. "

No, that's not what he said. He said, “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

He didn't reference any skill sets of the individuals, only the shittiness of their countries of origin.

Being FROM a country and having a skill set are not analogous. The fact that they may end up with the same result is irrelevant.

What IS analogous is comparing Canada's immigration standards to your offices hiring practices. 13% of Americans are black, yet only 3% of lawyers are black. If you want lawyers working for you, you likely won't have an office with a lot of black people in it. That is WAY different than specifically not wanting to hire black people.

FWIW, that post wasn't for you, since you wouldn't understand it anyway. That's for everyone else to see just how idiotic your argument is.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Racial overtones? Your cherry picked context? No thanks.

I have a question. Why is it so important to get to racist? Why isn't a critique of any particular policy good enough?
In this case I have to admire JasoninHalifax for his ability to approach these matters -- whether we agree or disagree.
Ignorant people telling you how you really feel about an issue gets old fast.

How is it cherry-picked? All I'm saying is that when Trump says something that we should fit it into the context of things he's already said. Those things can also be interpreted as racist. Sure, one a off here or there could well be a misunderstanding, but when you get enough of these types of statements a bigger picture emerges. Should I have picked a better context? A different set of statements that Trump has already said? Yes - I fully appreciate that the context of his statement in regards of a discussion on a particular policy. Fine. But when the same words come from someone who on other occasions made remarks that have prompted other "is he racist?" threads then do we not fit those comments within the broader context of what that person has said? I brought up Hatians and Aids and Nigerians in Huts because they're the two comments that are most applicable to these comments, but I could just as easily have brought up Tiki torches or the things he's said about Mexicans.

Let me ask you this question: Let's say that this is a one off and he really didn't mean what I think he means. Fair enough. Why should we give him the benefit of the doubt?

To be honest, I don't think its important to "get to racist" in the sense of gotcha politics and I'm not one to go around hunting for elements of racism in everyday life where none otherwise exists - but the title of the thread deals with whether or not Trump is a racist so its clearly within the scope of discussion.
Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 12, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

FWIW, that post wasn't for you, since you wouldn't understand it anyway. That's for everyone else to see just how idiotic your argument is.

LOL!!! Like I said, Barry - too many blows to the head from a padded sword!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sshoreli wrote:
When all my liberal elite, bleeding heart, currently screaming racism, liberal friends start Instagramming vacation pictures of their trips to Haiti, Somalia, Sudan, etc. we can begin to discuss Trump's statement as racist. There is a reason people don't vacation there, they are shitholes. It is a fact. So by visiting nearby countries (i.e., the DR, St. Lucia, countries in Africa that have good safaris) but not others, they are either as racist as they say the President is, or they once again can't handle a true statement.

My liberal elite, bleeding heart physician cousin is currently in Haiti for her annual two week volunteer medical clinic work. She's been posting photos on Facebook all week. Today's her birthday, too.

When your 'liberal elite, bleeding heart physician cousin' starts posting here with cogent comments about how the state of affairs in Haiti is NOT that of a shithole, I, for one, will take note. Otherwise, you are just some poser liberal trying to hijack the good that your cousin is trying to do in this world and paint yourself with the same broad brush. That's pretty....low.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
And this is what makes those with Trump Derangement Syndrome so pathetic. They'll use pretzel logic to twist anything he says into racism.

This is what I don't understand. The President of the U.S goes and publicly calls other countries shitholes, and his defenders knee jerk reaction is to defend him and label anyone who deems it inappropriate as people with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The office of the President used to be seen as lofty and the person holding the position revered and respected, Now, many people seem to be perfectly fine with his adolescent comments.

It really is difficult to understand and has nothing to do with TDS although I'm sure that will be used against me.

Obama changed all of that before Trump ever showed up. In truth, it was Obama that made Trump president, much like CNN gave rise to FOX.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vocal ones are hiding behind hucksters like this jerk.

And then there are plenty of us who think differently and have stepped outside of the church & don’t associate with it & speak against what he stands for. We aren’t all for the guy, and frankly we’re not homogeneous in belief. Honestly, as a Christian thinker, I’m atheistic against the god the vocal American fundamentalists tend to espouse, a violently imperial god of those who vocally supported Trump. Personally, I think his stances are, by and large, antithetical to the teachings of Christ.

rob2681 wrote:
Where are all the Christians denouncing this...oh yeah they were good with “grab ‘em by the pussy”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think its important to "get to racist" in the sense of gotcha politics and I'm not one to go around hunting for elements of racism in everyday life where none otherwise exists - but the title of the thread deals with whether or not Trump is a racist so its clearly within the scope of discussion.

I'll clearly grant you that your comment is within the scope of this discussion. At the same time, this discussion is just a microcosm of the national tribal desire to "get to racist". You may not watch TV -- and I don't watch much either -- but trust me this didn't start here in the LR.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is delusional.

gregtryin wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
And this is what makes those with Trump Derangement Syndrome so pathetic. They'll use pretzel logic to twist anything he says into racism.

This is what I don't understand. The President of the U.S goes and publicly calls other countries shitholes, and his defenders knee jerk reaction is to defend him and label anyone who deems it inappropriate as people with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The office of the President used to be seen as lofty and the person holding the position revered and respected, Now, many people seem to be perfectly fine with his adolescent comments.

It really is difficult to understand and has nothing to do with TDS although I'm sure that will be used against me.

Obama changed all of that before Trump ever showed up. In truth, it was Obama that made Trump president, much like CNN gave rise to FOX.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
We certainly know how careful the media is about accuracy when reporting on Trump.

Pretzel? Nope. Trump is a blowhard, but I can't imagine that he really would oppose hardworking professionals from those countries just because they are from there. If I am wrong, then he is an idiot. Correction, if I am wrong, then he is even a bigger idiot than I thought.

Probably not, but his comment implies that he doesn't think there are hardworking educated professionals from those countries. So if you are talking about policy decisions, then that "merit based" system he wants to have implemented may automatically disqualify individuals from "shithole countries", even though they would be more productive members of society than some other individuals coming from Norway.

It might imply that if you are a racist who views everything in terms of skin color. Reasonable people can look at the reality of those countries and the value potential immigrants can add to the economy.

The bigots are crying about what the implications a merit based immigration policy will mean for candidates from "white" countries while ignoring those who will benefit the most: Indians. Last time I checked Indians are distinctly not white, non-Christian as well. Indians applying for green cards are highly educated [A masters degree plus two bachelors, one from the U.S. and one from India, is practically a minimum], usually speak decent English, are law abiding, and assimilate well, yet the wait time is ridiculously long. We should allow in uneducated people from shithole countries instead of Indians?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Irrelevant as it is, at least you got the hobby right this time (I actually know when and where that picture is from. Guy on the left is a friend of mine).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply

Prev Next