Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]

Public figures notwithstanding. OTOH, atleast they have the ability to create an account and chime in on their behalf.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

So what do we have in common that we all haven't died from ingesting so much foulness?

-Military training? (C-Rations/MREs can line any intestine with a protective barrier for life)

-Of a certain age that your parents did not know or care about over-protecting you from germs?

-Or just plain ornery? -- Only the good die young ...

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]

last tri in 83 wrote:
I can relate to slowman in a sense as we are around the same age. Once you hit a certain age you have little tolerance for people's bullshit. A lot of time is spent attempting to form a no bullshit zone. Your bullshit meter gets a heightened sensitivity. Slowman's bullshit meter may have hit overload status.

What is bullshit, but anther persons view you disagree with.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]

Bullshit:

people's quirks and psychological inadequacies

Whiners and complainers

inability to follow rules

excessiveness

talk too much

etc.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]

getcereal wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
I can relate to slowman in a sense as we are around the same age. Once you hit a certain age you have little tolerance for people's bullshit. A lot of time is spent attempting to form a no bullshit zone. Your bullshit meter gets a heightened sensitivity. Slowman's bullshit meter may have hit overload status.

To be fair, if that were the measure for Slowman, I would have been banned long ago, along with a few others of similar ilk (perhaps including you).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
getcereal wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

To be fair, if that were the measure for Slowman, I would have been banned long ago, along with a few others of similar ilk (perhaps including you).

I think I will leave this thread for a while, because truly I don't understand what I have said that can get me banned or where the line is. But I do think guys like you are a lot smarter than me. So I will heed your somewhat warning while the trigger finger is itchy.

getcereal wrote:
JSA wrote:
getcereal wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

I think I will leave this thread for a while, because truly I don't understand what I have said that can get me banned or where the line is. But I do think guys like you are a lot smarter than me. So I will heed your somewhat warning while the trigger finger is itchy.

The point is you haven't. People don't get banned because Dan disagrees with their positions on things. You really have to work at it and almost have it happen intentionally.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

getcereal wrote:
it is a ok to attack and shit on someone (personal) that can't defend himself?

coupla things, not to you, but to the community you. i pulled a few posts here, and it's to the point you're making. while on the one hand it's kind of humorous to talk about online personas as "people", i do think even online personas are (while largely fictitious) avatars for real people. there are real people back there somewhere. and, you're right, while you can talk in general about the objects of my decisions, i'm not comfortable with these personas being dartboards for folks who can throw darts without the "board" throwing the darts back.

so, i'm happier if you talk about the moderation style here in general rather than ragging on any particular person (other than me), especially if that person is no longer here to write a rebuttal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 9, 18 12:24

Just remember this simple rule - it's ok to be a dick sometimes (everybody is) but don't be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]

last tri in 83 wrote:
Just remember this simple rule - it's ok to be a dick sometimes (everybody is) but don't be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Brick] [ In reply to ]

Brick wrote:
So what do we have in common that we all haven't died from ingesting so much foulness?

-Military training? (C-Rations/MREs can line any intestine with a protective barrier for life)

-Of a certain age that your parents did not know or care about over-protecting you from germs?

-Or just plain ornery? -- Only the good die young ...

I think all three. Hahahaha!

At this point in my life, I benefit from all that germ exposure my parents unwittingly allowed me to experience -- usually because they weren't afraid I was going to die by playing on some monkey bars, or doing an Evel Knievel off a bike ramp, or even jumping a moving freight train from time to time.

Also, the military thing is big. I've humped a pack in some serious sh*tholes and ate more than my share of Vietnam-era C-rats -- years after we got our troops out of there (we were also a test battalion for the new MRE's back when they were being developed... I can tell you some horror stories about that, heh-heh).

And yep: I'm definitely not young so that tells you something right there.

You're in that same boat, too. LOL!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

This place needs a little

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

JSA wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Why else would I ever come here then except to take life's frustrations out on the plebes that dwell within the LR?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]

Kay Serrar wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
In response to the original thread, and presumably after Duffy had been warned to tone it down, he wrote this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed&

Whether that was directed at Katy or the mystery "complainer" is hardly relevant.

Does this mean you are going to stop pushing the narrative that he directly attacked Katy and now just say it’s not relevant.

Is it relevant that Katy’s language was as or more inflammatory than Duffy’s.

You think Katy's language was as or more inflammatory than Duffy's? Really?

Duffy wrote his follow up thread before Dan had publicly denied it was Katy who complained to him. Therefore it's likely he believed it was Katy who complained. I'm happy to concede that it may not have been Katy that Duffy was directing his follow up comments towards (if Dan had told him privately it wasn't her who complained), but Duffy still called a real person a weak minded, sniveling, damaged waste of space. You may be ok with that, but Dan clearly isn't.

Neither was the person who complained, wink wink!!

Big deal. Duffy is gone. Windy is gone. My guess is both are happy. They now have a lot more time, and far less irritation in their lives. Neither were close to YaHey anyway.

Make ST Relevant and Fun Again, bring back YaHey!!

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [skinny] [ In reply to ]

skinny wrote:
No real complaints from me over how you run this place. I agree with the analogy that this is basically a party in your house, and you are free to remove people for whatever reason you want. Someone who is normally a good guest but makes a mistake and shits in the corner of the living room is less likely to be kicked out than someone who constantly walks around spilling drinks on people, knocking over furniture, and trying to start fights.

I think the reason this thread is still going is because people either didn't witness what happened to cause the removal of some guests, or saw it and don't understand your reasoning of why one person's actions were deemed worse than another. Many of these people likely want to know the reasons because they may be afraid of facing the same fate, and without knowing specifically what line they can't cross, have no idea exactly where they stand. The majority of us are used to the Western system of laws where people have the right to a fair trial, and the public (for the most part) has the right to know what crimes people have been convicted of. Laws are written and published so that everyone has access and can know what actions result in what punishment. I don't feel that you need to meet that standard, but I do think that is what is causing distress to so many here.

I agree with your first paragraph in reply to slowman.

I disagree with your second paragraph. This thread is going because it gives people an endorphin rush to follow the drama. That is all.

Further, to the extent people expect some kind of due process, they are being silly. They need to read your first paragraph again.

When you are in a someone's house and you don't like the party the host is throwing, you thank the host for the invitation and take your leave. You don't complain publicly about the party, about the host, and about the host's decisions. If the host and the party are important to you, then you may take the host to the side or into another room and privately ask him about whatever bothers you, but you do not tap your spoon against a glass, call for silence, and ask the host to publicly defend his actions. That is rude. There is some rude behavior of this sort in this thread.

No need to have distress about the standard. Slowman has said repeatedly here in this thread, and over the years, that he just expects civility. Furthermore, he has said (at least in previous threads) that anyone banned should just contact him by email.

Duffy, Windy, and anyone else who was banned can contact Slowman and have a conversation about it. They should do that regardless of whether they want to come back. They should do that because they were a guest in the house and they have offended the host and the civil thing to do is to come back a few days later and talk about it and see if things could be resolved. You may make amends, you may not, but the civil thing to do is to try.

It is amazing how many things can get resolved when two people with a problem just talk about it privately.

I can say from personal experience that our host is magnanimous and fair when contacted. I just looked at my email conversation with him from last Saturday and I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even make a proper apology. So: Dan, I'm sorry for that post. I appreciate being invited back. (Rest of you, don't look for my offending post as it is gone and I'm not gonna say more because it is private between me and Dan.)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev

LOL

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

slowguy wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:
I didn't find, as some others seem to, that either guy contributed a lot of meaningful, insightful, or valuable content.

As opposed to the people who often responded with posts that consisted entirely of "You're a Trump ballwasher". And they made it very clear, they weren't talking about golf balls (even though that gif would show up every so often).

Duffy had a point of view and expressed it. Many people misrepresented it, and attacked him for it. He may have fought back with strong attacks, but I don't really remember him attacking anyone out of the blue, usually only after being attacked himself.

Sure, there are other people who also only post to stir the pot, or to toss in some partisan insults. I'm not arguing that Duffy or Windy should be banned more or less than anyone else. Just expressing puzzlement over the degree of consternation some people seem to be feeling.

Duffy may have had a view point, or he may have been trolling, or both. His best trick was posting for pages and pages espousing a point of view, and then claiming that wasn't what he meant at all, and everyone else was too stupid to understand his satire/game. It was really kind of like a person who says something really offensive, and then realizes no one else agrees with him, so he tries to claim it was a joke that no one else was smart enough to get.

Again, that's fine, and I'm not arguing he did or didn't deserve a ban. It's just weird to me that there are a couple of threads still going on lamenting his and Windy's departures.

No kidding! Duffy was a huge troll, and everyone's focusing on this last event and can't figure out how he got himself banned. In the past year alone, he called someone he disagreed with a "fucking pedophile" (he was serious) posted a bizzaro sexual fantasy about a teenage girl and himself (and her dying cat), and accused Dan several times of having a mental illness. How ironic.

People gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his surfer bro personality, but he was mean to people in an insidious way.

I'll postulate that he's been on thin ice for a while. I don't know how he lasted as long as he did. Dan gave him a lot of rope IMO.
Last edited by: RZ: Jan 9, 18 15:16

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [RZ] [ In reply to ]

It should also be noted that Dan started the "comportment check" thread which IMO was a fairly obvious warning that he saw things as starting to get out of hand here behaviour-wise.

Certain people saw fit to ignore, or even continue to act up in defiance of, that warning and here we are.

this should help explain the concept of being a dick pretty well I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJ7l0kfDic

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]

WelshinPhilly wrote:
It should also be noted that Dan started the "comportment check" thread which IMO was a fairly obvious warning that he saw things as starting to get out of hand here behaviour-wise.

Certain people saw fit to ignore, or even continue to act up in defiance of, that warning and here we are.

Warning? Or ...

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]

Runguy wrote:

you know we built the code to make this much easier for you? click "share" and copy and past the youtu.be URL here:

jeezus. some people. i ought to ban your ass for not knowing this.

EDIT: after watching this, i can't believe i put it on the forum of my own volition. but it is pretty funny.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 9, 18 16:38

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [sphere] [ In reply to ]

sphere wrote:

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
Runguy wrote:

you know we built the code to make this much easier for you? click "share" and copy and past the youtu.be URL here:

jeezus. some people. i ought to ban your ass for not knowing this.

EDIT: after watching this, i can't believe i put it on the forum of my own volition. but it is pretty funny.

I believed your edit. You owe me 3:15 of life.....

getcereal wrote:
slowguy wrote:
I'm a little perplexed with regard to the consternation these bans have stirred up.

Duffy was sometimes entertaining, but mostly just posted about how the government is never held accountable, police are bad, Duffy's awesome and gets laid a lot, or X poster is a moron. Oh, and he occasionally posted a funny meme. He spent about a month during election season claiming that anything he didn't agree with was "fake news." If you pushed his buttons, he was absolutely mean. Whether you let his meanness hurt your feelings is another question, but there's no doubt he could be mean just for the sake of being mean.

Windy, was combative, arrogant, and consistently trying to pick fights, especially with JSA.

I didn't find, as some others seem to, that either guy contributed a lot of meaningful, insightful, or valuable content. Now, there's obviously no rule that you have to do that, and I didn't really have any problem with both of them remaining around. There have been lots of LR regulars over the years that weren't here to contribute a ton. I just mostly stopped reading their posts, and I guess I'm not sure why some people seem so upset that they're gone.

Of course you are not upset by the banning of Duffy. Because Duffy took you to the woodshed many times.
Writing a few lame sentences trying to encapsulate Duffy's 50000+ post is pretty degrading to his awesome contributions to Slowtwitch.

I am just confounded by the censorship. You have belittled me and called me names in the past. This is what happens sometimes when you enter the fray. If you don't like it don't jump in or jump out if you don't want to spar (which I have) but don't remove the fighters so you won't get hurt.
The thing is... I don't agree with most things you say, but I would never want you banned from the ring.
It seems the people on the left are more agreeable to censorship. Where feelings are more important than the truth.

As for Windy, he contributed some great entertainment! I have no idea why he was banned.

Another thing- I think it is really weak of anyone degrading or attacking Duffy or Windy when they are not here to defend themselves.

So, in a thread speculating about the reasons for a couple regulars to have been banned (rather than re-hash all of Dan's ruminations, let's just say for being chronic dicks), how are we to tapdance around their dickishness? When opining about the circumstances precipitating a 1-car accident, do you simply ignore the observation that the deceased driver was doing 90mph drunk and without a seatbelt on since they aren't around to defend themselves?

Duffy was tolerable on balance since he brought some well-timed zingers and cat gifs to the party, and occasional insight on matters of photography, surfing, recreational drugs, etc, but the remaining arc of his trolling shtick was tiresome to say the least, and it was painfully obvious to anyone else who wasn't too busy fighting him over who got to suck Trump's balls first and which of you had to settle for seconds.

Prev Next