Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [skinny] [ In reply to ]

skinny wrote:
Many of these people likely want to know the reasons because they may be afraid of facing the same fate, and without knowing specifically what line they can't cross, have no idea exactly where they stand.

right. and the reason i'm not accommodating that request is because once i do so the analysis begins. "you banned him for falling her a cee u on tuesday. but here's a case in 2013 and that person wasn't banned." and so on. slowguy get it (a few posts up). there were a couple of people i banned this past week who probably didn't even participate in the threads in question. they were banned for what they wrote last week, 2 years ago, and on every day in between.

if you weren't banned last week then you aren't the sort of person who i'm writing about. most of you guys, you're what makes this a great forum. i don't want to ban anybody. the very fact that somebody might reflect on the civility of his posts is the vaccination against a ban. only the un-self-reflective get banned.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

<<His best trick was posting for pages and pages espousing a point of view, and then claiming that wasn't what he meant at all, and everyone else was too stupid to understand his satire/game.>>

You're such a one-dimensional thinker, slowguy.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [j p o] [ In reply to ]

j p o wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Jeezus...11 pages and still going...

Well now we have some more investigating to do:

there's about a dozen people, give or take (i lost count) who're gone, mostly from this forum, some from the other forum, over the last few days. here, there were 3 or 4 initially, and then the rest because they felt the need to make as snarky a comment as they could muster in response to the bans, and whose humanitarian visas were consequentially revoked.

We have an actual TwitchHunt on our hands.

There were several people that seemed like they were just upping the ante lately until they could get a reaction. Windy was engaging for a long time, then over the last few weeks seemed to do nothing other than make personal attacks. Duffy was that guy who snaps at works and flings poo at the wall, then everyone just shrugs and says, 'who didn't see that coming?' Then there is the poster or two who post ban seem to have been attempting to be martyrs on the Duffy alter. Sounds like they may have succeeded.

I dare you to start a "The official LR Who Got Banned Thread".

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

slowguy wrote:
I'm a little perplexed with regard to the consternation these bans have stirred up.

Duffy was sometimes entertaining, but mostly just posted about how the government is never held accountable, police are bad, Duffy's awesome and gets laid a lot, or X poster is a moron. Oh, and he occasionally posted a funny meme. He spent about a month during election season claiming that anything he didn't agree with was "fake news." If you pushed his buttons, he was absolutely mean. Whether you let his meanness hurt your feelings is another question, but there's no doubt he could be mean just for the sake of being mean.

Windy, was combative, arrogant, and consistently trying to pick fights, especially with JSA.

I didn't find, as some others seem to, that either guy contributed a lot of meaningful, insightful, or valuable content. Now, there's obviously no rule that you have to do that, and I didn't really have any problem with both of them remaining around. There have been lots of LR regulars over the years that weren't here to contribute a ton. I just mostly stopped reading their posts, and I guess I'm not sure why some people seem so upset that they're gone.

Of course you are not upset by the banning of Duffy. Because Duffy took you to the woodshed many times.
Writing a few lame sentences trying to encapsulate Duffy's 50000+ post is pretty degrading to his awesome contributions to Slowtwitch.

I am just confounded by the censorship. You have belittled me and called me names in the past. This is what happens sometimes when you enter the fray. If you don't like it don't jump in or jump out if you don't want to spar (which I have) but don't remove the fighters so you won't get hurt.
The thing is... I don't agree with most things you say, but I would never want you banned from the ring.
It seems the people on the left are more agreeable to censorship. Where feelings are more important than the truth.

As for Windy, he contributed some great entertainment! I have no idea why he was banned.

Another thing- I think it is really weak of anyone degrading or attacking Duffy or Windy when they are not here to defend themselves.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [klehner] [ In reply to ]

klehner wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
According to Duffy's thread, "someone" talked to him via PM, which prompted Duff to post the rant. Not a big leap to say it was Dan, since Duffy was complaining about people who complain to the authorities (paraphrasing), but I don't know that for certain.

I presumed it was Klehner who pmd him

And Dan confirmed it was not. Or is he lying about that, too?

Forge did the same: accused me of contacting Dan about him, when that just wasn't the case (I checked all my sent PMs, and Dan confirmed it wasn't me).

Why do you think I did that?

I don't have a good reason for thinking that. And I don't think it now. And I know that Dan confirmed it wasn't you. And when I "accused" Dan of lying I subsequently apologized and retracted that position.

My response was meant to say, "in real time I presumed it was Klehner". It was meant to make the point that we can all make whatever presumptions we want or wanted to but my presumption was no more correct than Halifax or Kay Serrar's presumption or "it's not a big leap to conclude" etc etc. I just wanted to point out that while its "not a big leap" that it was Dan who contacted him, it could in fact be any number of moderators who did so.

Bottom line is non of us knows the real story here. And I'm OK with that (not that it matters whether I am or not). I just think if this speculation is going to continue on it shouldn't include direct "knowledge" and accusations about somebody who (presumably) is no longer here to defend themselves.

So when I see Kay Serrar say that Duffy specifically addressed Katy with horribly said things and ipso facto that is why he was banned I think, unless you and Slowman want to full time police this forum, it requires someone to step in and challenge those things she knows for sure.

I apologize if this came across as an "attack" on you. I really didn't mean it that way.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
I'm here. I'm a fucking delight! I don't believe I have done anything ban-worthy. I haven't been warned before.

you and i agree on almost nothing; and you are the least banworthy person on this forum, and mandatory reading for me. you, slowguy, j p o, kay serrar, mustangchef, bk, love you all. cerveloguy, jasonhalifax, m with the goddam tilde which is who knows where in my keyboard, love all you guys. happy to have you here. just wish you weren't wrong so often ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]

ironmayb wrote:
I apologize if this came across as an "attack" on you. I really didn't mean it that way.

I don't feel attacked. I want to understand why you would even presume I would have done that. What about my postings might lead you there?

"Go yell at an M&M"

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Any way to move those banned from the member directory and post count list. I need to move up a couple spots.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [klehner] [ In reply to ]

klehner wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

I don't feel attacked. I want to understand why you would even presume I would have done that. What about my postings might lead you there?

1) you were actively involved in the initial thread in question
2) I am fairly certain you are a moderator here with the ability to affect change on someone's life
3) I believe you to be someone who would contact someone directly prior to doing that
4) you have never given me any evidence that you would run to Dan vs. doing your own work
5) Dan's early responses appeared to be that he wasn't very actively involved in the process. Leading me to believe he may not be the moderator involved at all.

and again, even if I didn't presume you were involved, I felt it important to throw out that Dan is not the only person in the world who could have begun or ended this process. I think it could have been you. Or Rappstar. Or someone else. Or maybe those "presumptions" are incorrect.

I will make the point again. I left this thread of speculation (after being an active participant) on Saturday. When it became obvious that what happened would not be explained in detail (nor did it need to be). I was left with 2 things. 1) don't be a dick and you don't have to worry (which I appreciate means I still need to worry....) and 2) don't accuse people who are no longer here to defend themselves. I checked in last night to find what I believed to be someone who was not here to defend themselves being accused of something by someone with no more detail than I had. When challenged that position changed from "katy" to "a real person".

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
you and i agree on almost nothing; and you are the least banworthy person on this forum, and mandatory reading for me. you, slowguy, j p o, kay serrar, mustangchef, bk, love you all. cerveloguy, jasonhalifax, m with the goddam tilde which is who knows where in my keyboard, love all you guys. happy to have you here. just wish you weren't wrong so often ;-)

Bummed I didn't make the list. ;-)

I guess part of the consternation over Duffy and Windy's bans is that it might appear that the LR will end up with lots of people on one side of the aisle and fewer and fewer on the other.

As far as comportment goes. I'd prefer to see fewer "You're a Trump ballwasher", "You're a f*cking moron", "You're a nutmeg" posts

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]

[quote getcereal
As for Windy, he contributed some great entertainment! I have no idea why he was banned.

Another thing- I think it is really weak of anyone degrading or attacking Duffy or Windy when they are not here to defend themselves.[/quote]

Gone but not forgotten

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Brick] [ In reply to ]

Brick wrote:
The level of discourse has certainly dropped off over the years. I don't blame Dan. It is a national epidemic. The LR, to its credit, was slower in its devolution than others. Why have the posters like Rob Cunningham abandoned the LR? I know why I stopped posting. Just curious if others have any thoughts in this regard?

Cheers.
-
Yeah, I remember you being around. I mostly like the politics, but it's not so fun with Trump ball washers and TDS people head to head now. There used to be more discussion/debate on ideas; the basis, or reasoning behind policy, and a lot of those guys are gone. Mjuric got buried in his business I think, Vitus has gotten continually more strident in his posts, not sure why, and Slowguy does not engage much, owing, I think, to his possible 2020 POTUS run (too late man, I archive this stuff, and I have all of it, ALL OF IT!) :)
At any rate, I'm hoping for another evolution in the better direction.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
Of course you are not upset by the banning of Duffy. Because Duffy took you to the woodshed many times.

That's funny stuff.

I'm not sure you understand what that expression means.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]

For the record, I have never been involved in moderating ST in any capacity. Never asked to, never offered, never even thought about doing so. Who needs that crap? Not even going to ask why you thought I was a moderator.

"Go yell at an M&M"

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [efernand] [ In reply to ]

efernand wrote:
I guess part of the consternation over Duffy and Windy's bans is that it might appear that the LR will end up with lots of people on one side of the aisle and fewer and fewer on the other.

there are plenty here for cerveloguy and francois to spar with.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]

We'll see. I think that the national conversation needs a real infusion of rational discourse but that seems unlikely. For whatever its worth, I finished the Nations Triathlon (sprint) this fall n a pathetic fashion ... but I finished. Drank more of the Potomac than I cared to! Maybe I'll be a bit more active here as well.

slowguy wrote:
Quote:

That's funny stuff.

I'm not sure you understand what that expression means.

Duffy in the white:

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [j p o] [ In reply to ]

Isi it still Festivus season? This could be part of the traditional airing of grievances.

klehner wrote:
For the record, I have never been involved in moderating ST in any capacity. Never asked to, never offered, never even thought about doing so. Who needs that crap? Not even going to ask why you thought I was a moderator.

maybe it was your signature line

see what happens when we all begin to make presumptions. Mine have been called out twice now in this thread. Would like to see some others be called out as well

EDIT: this was the particular comment that brought me back. This was allowed to stand. Is this the "for the record" we want to move forward with.

For the record, Duffy called Katy a "weak minded sniveling little waste of space..." as well as being "damaged and weak willed."
Last edited by: ironmayb: Jan 9, 18 9:11

Yeah, so you don't know what the expression means. Also, nothing Duffy ever posted came close to resembling knocking me out.

I didn't have any problem with Duffy remaining in the LR. I just had no more interest in hearing his repetitive themes (Duffy is awesome, government is evil, I'm not a Trump guy but here's how anyone who criticizes Trump is an idiot, etc)

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)

Just like your movie reviews you are bang on.

ironmayb wrote:
klehner wrote:

Quote is by slowguy speaking to Slowman.

"Go yell at an M&M"

klehner wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
klehner wrote:

Quote is by slowguy speaking to Slowman.

thanks. You may want to make that more clear. Just a suggestion

Slowman wrote:
i think you guys are missing the bigger point here. you're obsessively philologizing, comparing this phrase to that, seeing if you can create an asshole meter by which users should be rated, calling foul on the moderation if an 8.2 asshole got banned while an 8.35 remains.

there's about a dozen people, give or take (i lost count) who're gone, mostly from this forum, some from the other forum, over the last few days. here, there were 3 or 4 initially, and then the rest because they felt the need to make as snarky a comment as they could muster in response to the bans, and whose humanitarian visas were consequentially revoked.

so, fine, write your hagiographs for the departed. i'll give you the space. just, to post here there's a simple guide: as opposed to the one-off impolitic remark made in haste or in the heat of battle (which can happen to any of us), if your mission is to try to get banned because of what you write, you'll probably succeed.

I've lost track of the times I and others have said that Duffy got what he deserved because, for one, it's your land and if we can't abide by the rules you set then we should be launched. No problem with that in the least. I also complimented you for putting up with our nonsense for so very long, especially during election years. Which become quite heated, for some reason I can't fathom.

The "disagreement" I and a couple others have, not with you but with one of your "defenders" (as if you needed defending) here, revolves around the particular words uttered by the dearly departed, though I think I and others have also pointed out that it wasn't any single instance but, rather, a "body of work" which earned Duffy a double-tap.

That's fine with me as well. I differ not with you but with another participant in this thread, that anything he said was "mean," in my opinion (saying such a word makes us sound like we're in high school, dealing with Mean Boys and Mean Girls). But a body of work -- coming from Duffy? Oh, that I understand completely.

As far as any hagiography for Trump's Number One Testicular Needs Attendant goes, I'm not seeing that, at least from me. But if I wanted to write one I could produce copy that'd bring tears even to the eyes of Saddam Hussein, if he were alive today. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."

Prev Next