Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]

Kay Serrar wrote:
Regardless, it makes no sense to wonder if he has ever been mean without reading the thread in which he got himself banned. Carry on...

So, in your estimation, you believe he was "mean" in that thread, and therefore deserving of banishment? Am I correct in this characterization? I recall that you two, in your colloquies with each other, don't seem all that amenable to each other. But given my past experience with him, my characterization of Mr. Duffy is that he isn't mean, as far as I know. I also don't know you all that well, but you seem willing to give as good as you get.

Being a big 1A guy -- who doesn't believe in ANY restrictions on speech (and I do mean ANY) -- I think I have a far higher tolerance level for written and verbal utterances than many others here in this room, thin-skinned they may be or not. So no, even if I had troubled myself to read the thread and the comments therein that have apparently disturbed some here, I probably wouldn't have characterized anything he or Windywave wrote, or have written in other threads, as "mean."

Are we this weak-kneed these days? Sure seems like it to me.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jan 7, 18 18:57

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

I just wish once you would ban someone that I was happy about.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Regardless, it makes no sense to wonder if he has ever been mean without reading the thread in which he got himself banned. Carry on...

So, in your estimation, you believe he was "mean" in that thread, and therefore deserving of banishment? Am I correct in this characterization? I recall that you two, in your colloquies with each other, don't seem all that amenable to each other. But given my past experience with him, my characterization of Mr. Duffy is that he isn't mean, as far as I know. I also don't know you all that well, but you seem willing to give as good as you get.

Being a big 1A guy -- who doesn't believe in ANY restrictions on speech (and I do mean ANY) -- I think I have a far higher tolerance level for written and verbal utterances than many others here in this room, thin-skinned they may be or not. So no, even if I had troubled myself to read the thread and the comments therein that have apparently disturbed some here, I probably wouldn't have characterized anything he or Windywave wrote, or have written in other threads, as "mean."

To me, I think tolerance levels have gone down over the years. Not just in here but in general and I think a lot of that has to do with the amount of sh!t we have to deal with daily virtually everywhere. Humans just don't have the capacity to process all the information we have access to on our smartphones/internet and as a result, we are seeing people becoming much less tolerable of the things they are closest to.
Just how I see it. I don't think Duffy was mean per se. I would say he was many other things but as Dan has said, he isn't here to defend himself so I will let it go.
I would love to know the #'s on how many people have chosen to ignore his posts. I know I did.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

What I think is irrelevant to my point. My point is that it's asinine for you to wonder if he's ever been mean on this forum without reading the thread that got him banned. You rationale for not doing so is flimsy and I doubt you haven't in fact read it. (By the way, I suspect he was banned for things he said in the thread he started in response to the original thread.)
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Jan 8, 18 2:18

big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

So if you were moderating this forum, you'd let anyone say anything they wanted to others, no matter how offensive?

For the record, Duffy called Katy a "weak minded sniveling little waste of space..." as well as being "damaged and weak willed."

What say you, oh great 1A guy? Not mean?

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]

I've been called a fu#($&ng c*&t on this forum before. First time ever and I'm old.

So what?

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JD21] [ In reply to ]

JD21 wrote:
I've been called a fu#($&ng c*&t on this forum before. First time ever and I'm old.

So what?

I think you are allowed to spell out fueling coat.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

So if you were moderating this forum, you'd let anyone say anything they wanted to others, no matter how offensive?

For the record, Duffy called Katy a "weak minded sniveling little waste of space..." as well as being "damaged and weak willed."

Nice snark there, ma'am.

In my opinion, he had a 1A right to say it, and could have called her everything but a white woman and I'd STILL say he had a right to say it. But AGAIN: this is Dan's place and his rules apply. 1A doesn't apply to private institutions and organizations, such as this place. There's also no such thing as viewpoint discrimination in such institutions and organizations. Duffy knew that as well as I and many others here do. He paid his money and he took his chances. It didn't work out too well for him. Them's the breaks of naval air, as we used to say.

BUT:

Speaking personally, if that's all he said -- given what many of us have said to each other before your time here began (and I can't speak to post-November 9th, 2012) -- I'm not seeing the reason for the banishment. Why didn't Katy -- who I've always liked -- simply tell him to eat shit and die or something? So, by your lights, she was in need of protection from the mean men. Or she isn't. As her designated protector (I suppose) which is it?

Here's an example of what I mean when I say that what Duffy said to her doesn't seem like any big thing to me:

During the runup to the 2008 election (I was a McCain man, him being a fellow Navy officer with huge cojones and unquestioned courage) I literally called my friends here on the left a bunch of pricks. And I even offered to meet some folks at a race of their choosing to discuss the matter in person. But I received not even a yellow card from the powers to be.

THAT's what I mean when I say that things here have changed a little, what with the protectors of Lavender Room decency now patrolling these precincts so assiduously. Pity them.

Kay Serrar wrote:

YaHey was a homophobic racist who hurled homosexual slurs at me and made racially condescending comments about my Mexican family members. But, none of that got him banned (and I never asked for him to be banned). He didn't get banned until he took a much-much-less inflammatory shot at one in Dan's fan club.

His house, his rules, but a little less arbitrariness would be nice.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

YaHey was a homophobic racist who hurled homosexual slurs at me and made racially condescending comments about my Mexican family members. But, none of that got him banned (and I never asked for him to be banned). He didn't get banned until he took a much-much-less inflammatory shot at one in Dan's fan club.

I sent dan a pm about his bullshit towards you and threatening to call your offices. Not to be banned but to do something like erase them

who's smarter than you're? i'm!

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]

Did not know that (or if I did, I forgot). I appreciate that. But, I miss that little bitch. ;-)

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]

Speaking of yahey, was yahey male or female? I always talk to him like he was a dude, but then I thought I saw where someone said yahey was female.

I really miss yahey. Right before he got banned he had commented on the parenting of my son and I said something to him like shut his fucking pie hole.

I miss YaHey

My sense is that it isn't so much about specific incidents as it is about ones "body of work", as it were.

Only Dan can speak to his decisions as to when too much becomes too much, as we all have our own barometers. What one finds insulting, another thinks isn't a big deal, and vice versa. But if you believe that what you say might land you on Dans radar, then perhaps consider scaling back if you wish to remain a guest in the house.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

You didn't answer the question.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]

justgeorge wrote:
Speaking of yahey, was yahey male or female? I always talk to him like he was a dude, but then I thought I saw where someone said yahey was female.

I really miss yahey. Right before he got banned he had commented on the parenting of my son and I said something to him like shut his fucking pie hole.

YaHey once posted a picture of YaHey's hands. There are NO WAY those were hands of a man. None. So, I started addressing YaHey via female pronouns. YaHey complained to Dan about it and I got a warning.

So, I dunno. But YaHey had some damn dainty hands.

Kay Serrar wrote:

Whether it was "mean" or not doesn't matter, and I simply don't care if it was. It was speech. It should be free. It's why I spent two-plus decades helping to defend its right to be free, too.

But no: it doesn't sound "mean" to me. It sounds like speech to me.

Really, do we need fainting couches and smelling salts in the LR these days for some of the folks suffering from weaker constitutions? Maybe they need to nut up and then speak up. Possibly nut up or shut up. I don't care which.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jan 8, 18 19:11

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

YaHey was the man. Or the woman, given the lack of manliness in those hands of his. ;-)

I liked the guy, though. You could tell he was just egging some of us on and we fell for it every single time. Good times, bro. LOL!

JSA wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

YaHey once posted a picture of YaHey's hands. There are NO WAY those were hands of a man. None. So, I started addressing YaHey via female pronouns. YaHey complained to Dan about it and I got a warning.

So, I dunno. But YaHey had some damn dainty hands.

Hahaha. You can be a huge pia but that’s some funny stuff right there.

//Really, do we need fainting couches and smelling salts in the LR these days for some of the folks suffering from weaker constitutions?//

Around the LR? How about around the LR and the country. The snowflakes have a voice....hell, a whole movement.

I’m just thankful my two teenage daughters can handle themselves. They’d manage just fine in the LR.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]

justgeorge wrote:

There were a couple of times when I was mixing it up with him, if he'd been in front of me I'd have dropped him like a bad habit. And I do mean with the use of really, really physical contact, probably to his face or to his nads, if he actually was a guy. ;-)

I wasn't aware he'd gotten himself banned, and I'm sorry to hear that because I really did think he was okay. Besides all that, he was just saying what was on his mind, and he had a right to. I don't care how rough it got between some of us -- and I forget the name of the one fellow who called me a downriver rat and basically dared me to come find him, and if I could have I would have -- but I'd never in a million years have gone running to the Godfather like a little kid runs to his mommy when his brother or other little kids have been mean to him.

But that's my era. Back then, you took your ass whupping, got up, dusted yourself off and got back in the fight. And I got my ass handed to me here plenty of times. LOL!

big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Whether it was "mean" or not doesn't matter, and I simply don't care if it was. It was speech. It should be free. It's was I spent two-plus decades helping to defend.

Really, do we need fainting couches and smelling salts in the LR these days for some of the folks suffering from weaker constitutions? Maybe they need to nut up and then speak up. Possibly nut up or shut up. I don't care which.

You're so inconsistent. First you wonder if he was mean or not, but don't read the thread. No you say it doesn't matter if he was mean or not.

Meanwhile you pint out it's Dan's sandbox, and his rules, but then contradict that by saying "it was speech, it should be free." Which is it, free speech, or Dan-regulated speech?

I think you miss Duffy so much you're losing all sense of logic and reality.

big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Whether it was "mean" or not doesn't matter, and I simply don't care if it was. It was speech. It should be free. It's was I spent two-plus decades helping to defend.

BK, you've got a funny idea as to what the 1st Amendment means. The first Amendment isn't quite about "free speech". The 1st Amendment simply lists a few "don't's" for Congress. One of them being "passing laws that abridge speech". What shitty things person A says to person B has nothing to do with a list of "don't's" for Congress. Just because we colloquially call the idea "freedom of speech" doesn't make us free to change the meaning of the unambiguous text.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart

Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

You're so inconsistent. First you wonder if he was mean or not, but don't read the thread. No you say it doesn't matter if he was mean or not.

Meanwhile you pint out it's Dan's sandbox, and his rules, but then contradict that by saying "it was speech, it should be free." Which is it, free speech, or Dan-regulated speech?

I think you miss Duffy so much you're losing all sense of logic and reality.

Silence, woman! The men are conversing. ;-)

I wondered if Duffy was "mean" (note the use of scare quotes, both now and in the post you cite) and no, I didn't read the thread. The use of scare quotes around the word "mean" should have informed you sufficiently of what I thought about the whole "But Duffy was mean!" thing. So far, no inconsistency, other than what may be in your imaginings.

And yes; I did point out it's Lieutenant Dan's house, as I've said in every single instance, and I've consistently noted that I have no truck with that. Then I provided my personal thoughts to you on what free speech means to me, and what it probably should mean to everyone (including you) if they were being intellectually honest with themselves. No inconsistency there either. Again, other than in your imaginings.

And yes, I miss Duffy. Like the rose misses the dawning of a new day. I wilt without those beneficent rays falling thusly upon my increasingly wan skin.

Ugh! Excuse me while I barf! And please let me rephrase the above.

Duffy was one of my old bros from the days when the LR hadn't been de-nutted by overly sensitive types who can't help but run to The Man whenever they feel they've been offended by some observation or another.

Yes. That's much better. Carry on.

I don't think there is any evidence that Katy was offended by Duffy's words. She may have been, or not. Dan said she didn't contact him. Duffy' response was over the top considering Katy's complaint against the original thread. I actually agreed with Duffy in that thread, if you will dein to read it. But in the new thread he started he made those (imo) unwarranted ugly comments about Katy. He was clearly having a bad day, but I don't think that's sufficient excuse for saying those things about someone. You may live in a world where it's ok to speak to others like that, but I support Dan's efforts to prevent that happening here.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:
If Windy is gone who will be left to remind JSA how much the Packers suck?

All us Lions fan's

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.

Prev Next