Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]

Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Personally, I like Mr. Duffy and Mr. Windywave, just as I like all of my internet friends that inhabit the left side of the aisle here. I hope one day soon those two gentlemen will be back in here, slugging it out and otherwise being memorable. :-)

Duffy is turning in his digital grave at you labeling him "left side of the aisle." You know he's a Trump ball-washer, possibly the best!!

I wasn't labeling Mr. Duffy as a lefty. I was remarking that I liked the folks on the left side of the aisle here just as much as I liked the Duffmeister and Mr. Windywave.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Uh huh. Must be one of those brand new traditions.

not exactly. last post in this thread (as one example). i might be an asshole, but i'm a consistent asshole.

Yeah, I'm not sure that you pulling a thread because Forge was upset that he couldn't defend himself constitutes a LR "tradition" of not ragging on people who aren't here. People still talk shit about Art Franke, Kangaroo, Kahuna (while he was gone), etc.

People who develop reputations through poor behavior, and then stomp off in a huff or get banned because of that very same behavior, tend to occasionally get ragged on (and deservedly so in some cases) long after they're gone.

It's also somewhat ludicrous to suggest that commenting on what kind of poster Duffy or Windy were might be off limits, in a set of threads, the subject of which is Duffy and Windy getting banned for the kinds of posters they were. Interesting mental gymnastics required to square that circle.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Jan 6, 18 17:14

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JD21] [ In reply to ]

JD21 wrote:
Referring to Windy or Duffy - or other banned former STer? Calling someone an asshole after they’re no longer here to defend themselves says a lot more about you than them.

I called Duffy an asshole on the phone last night. Know what he said in response? "Ugh muff oof moofin!"

Apparently, it is quite difficult to speak when you have Trump's balls in your mouth.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]

TimeIsUp wrote:
I feel like we have an extreme right, Duffy somewhere on the right side of middle, many left of middle, and few extreme left.

Neither Duffy or Windy are can really be pegged in one place. Sometimes left, sometimes right. Sometimes capable of human-to-human conversation, sometimes 4chan-grade trolls. What they both are is anti-authoritarian.

Having been a hairs-breadth from banned myself, I suspect that Slowman gave them the same private leash I got. He gave me a pretty clear warning: you can choose to remain here, or you can choose to to go. If you remain, you'll be expected to <insert behavior correction here>. I could easily see both windy and Duffy PMing back, "GFY."

Slowman is not consistent. There's been some horrific stuff posted that's completely missed. That makes his going off on seemingly more innocuous stuff hard to understand to some. But I get it. He doesn't want to be a full-time LR police with some super consistent transparent policy. This isn't Facebook. Sometimes there's just spring cleaning. We get a lot of rope. But when you get a lot of rope, it's easy to hang yourself.

I do appreciate that his forum rarely going completely 4chan. Though it veers in that direction at times.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Thank you. You have encouraged what will be my new parenting style, modeled after your new moderating approach — allow my children to get away with behavior consistently while not telling them it’s unacceptable and telling them other behavior is actually unacceptable, wait for sometime in the future when they do what I allowed to be previously acceptable, and then, without warning, kick their little asses to the curb without saying why & blame it on them.

Father of the decade, inspired by the Slowman!

Slowman wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Maybe I'm just jaded but I don't think the conversations had in this forum are particularly crass or insulting, except to the thinnest of skinned. I really hope this place doesn't get moderated in to oblivion ala tri-newbies.com.

some of you guys seem to be willfully ignoring the fact that the thread i locked - one of many i've locked - is not the reason for any moderating decisions i've made. i find it the height of irony that many of those posting here are posting here because this is the only forum short of all-out flame war forums that they haven't been kicked off of, and you're complaining that this forum is heavily moderated?

so, to you, to vitus, to those who are righteously indignant. don't complain! leave! vitus is writing ever-more-strident insults to me, i guess because he doesn't have the balls to just leave, and is instead hoping i'll ban him and make his decision for him.

but here his insults stand, here they are, and he's still posting, because while i obviously disagree with his assessment of the moderation here i don't mind folks who want to form strident opinions (as he has).

stay or go. but the whining is unbecoming.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]

Yup. While I disagreed with a good 85%+ of Duffy’s posts and thought Windy to be a blowhard ass, nothing over the last few days seemed to be egregious behavior compared to the past’s acceptable behavior. A random ban with no warning or explanation is ridiculous. Yet if you ask Dan 2 months from now he’s likely to “misremember” and say he’s only banned 3-4 people in total ever, denying a ban of those two.

getcereal wrote:
Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
You say nobody contacted you to complain about Duffy

that's not what i said. i wrote that katy did not contact me. yes, i did get contacted about that thread. and i read it all. and there wasn't anything in that thread that was any more insulting than what i've read here a thousand times before. but i guess you could say i just finally hit that point. i just got tired of misogyny for misogyny's sake. of insults for insults sake.

vitus979 wrote:
And no, I'm not sure that I've ever heard you say that testing the edges of what is crude will get you banned,

i wrote it here post 51. and it's not the only place.

vitus979 wrote:
or even hurling insult after insult. If that's really your standard, hardly anyone in here would survive the purge.

i'm not going to parse every element of a possible post to try to come up with a standard for civility that justice potter stewart couldn't define for obscenity. just, i could point you to a hundred posts, two hundred, where i pled for civility. some folks here just laughed and scoffed at that and okay. i took some action based on my best available wisdom and maybe it was entirely fair, maybe it was partially fair, maybe it was ill-advised. is what i did irrevocable? i don't know. but not a single person i banned has come back to me and said, hey, maybe i've been impolitic. can we try this again?

vitus979 wrote:
My general sense in the past was that posters who contribute nothing but insults and idiocy were at risk of being banned, and posters of that ilk would get hit with the ban hammer if they stepped over the line a little. Posters who make valuable and worthwhile contributions to the community are usually given more latitude.

yeah, i think that's probably fair.

vitus979 wrote:
Duffy is nowhere near the worst offender in either regard. Not even close. And he was a unique, interesting voice. I get that he was under your skin, but he was not nearly the most abrasive or combative poster in here, and his perspective can't be replaced. Windy, too.

i can't say that i disagree with your view.

Amazing you admit to inconsistency in your logic on how you determine who and when you will ban someone. Without so much of a warning to posters who have contributed over 50,000 post of top quality entertainment you ace them. You say you are tired of the insults- I can't think of any bigger insult to your loyal LR Slowtwitch fans than to ban our friends like you did. Yeah now everyone is insulted!

Slowman wrote:
i just got tired of misogyny for misogyny's sake. of insults for insults sake. .

Take that away, what's left?

“Read the transcript.”

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]

MidwestRoadie wrote:
Without so much of a warning to posters who have contributed over 50,000 post of top quality entertainment you ace them.

How do you know they didn't get a warning? (I may have missed a post.). I got a warning.

I think the comparison to parenting is an ill-conceived analogy. Parenting is a vitally important task that (should) demand full-time effort.

The Lavender Room is a sideshow for Slowman. It's not a core business. It's probably nearly irrelevant to this site as a whole. We probably don't generate any ad revenue. And we risk scaring away his potential advertisers or business partners with our forays into darker areas of culture. It's not worth his time or money to turn moderating into a full-time job. If he throws an inconsistent tantrum here every six months or so, I kind of get it.

All the people hand-wringing about transparency and consistency are a little full of themselves, in my mind.

We're here at his leisure. We don't get to demand all that much.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 6, 18 19:42

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Without so much of a warning to posters who have contributed over 50,000 post of top quality entertainment you ace them.

How do you know they didn't get a warning? (I may have missed a post.). I got a warning.

I think the comparison to parenting is an ill-conceived analogy. Parenting is a vitally important task that (should) demand full-time effort.

The Lavender Room is a sideshow for Slowman. It's not a core business. It's probably nearly irrelevant to this site as a whole. We probably don't generate any ad revenue. And we risk scaring away his potential advertisers or business partners with our forays into darker areas of culture. It's not worth his time or money to turn moderating into a full-time job. If he throws an inconsistent tantrum here every six months or so, I kind of get it.

All the people hand-wringing about transparency and consistency are a little full of themselves, in my mind.

Good points. Also, can anyone point to a moderated forum anywhere that allows a single post questioning a moderator's actions? Much less six pages of discussion?

Windy and Duffster are free to contact Dan and discuss the issues.

Actually I don't think Windy is banned. More likely he is day drinking again -- to a new extreme because of tomorrows SEC v. SEC National Football Championship and his screen is all double vision.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I don't see how people believe Dan can read every single thread in every forum to make sure everything is going okay. Everyone wants a pretty open forum and I believe Dan does as well but to assume he can and will let everything go is absurd. This is a business, his business and we are not his children. We're supposed to be adults and not needed to be watched 24/7.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

If Windy is gone who will be left to remind JSA how much the Packers suck?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

Anyone with an IQ in double digits.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:

The Packers.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]

sslothrop wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i just got tired of misogyny for misogyny's sake. of insults for insults sake. .

Take that away, what's left?

What I wanna know is, where's all the misandry and misandry for misandry's sake. We need to form up a diversity committee and right this listing ship in that regard.

Or is the misandry over on The Womens forum? I bet it is! ;-)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Uh huh. Must be one of those brand new traditions.

not exactly. last post in this thread (as one example). i might be an asshole, but i'm a consistent asshole.

slowguy wrote:
People still talk shit about Art Franke, Kangaroo, Kahuna (while he was gone), etc.

All well-deserved sh*t-talking, as regards my own case. But probably no worse than I dished out, or received, when last I darkened these passageways. (And I apologize once again for any ill feelings I may have caused in the past.)

But that was the beauty of this place; other than the issuance of a direct threat -- death or otherwise -- against someone, it was pretty much open season. And if you posted something stupid you were quickly going to be told that it was stupid. So if you didn't have a thick skin, and a sense of humor, you weren't going to last long. The LR ("Mister Tibbs' Lavender Room") was emblematic of the internet age in which it was born, in other words.

Nowadays? Things here have changed a little since I went into exile after losing that STUPID (on my part) bet I made with Mr. Mopdahl (and I've since apologized to him publicly as well as privately). It's a more temperate climate, for one, but for what reason? I honestly can't recall anyone being banned during my previous stay (maybe Art Franke for a couple weeks, though that may have been self-imposed). And things got pretty heated during the 2008 and 2012 presidential election, as I recall (some of which I encouraged, sorry to say). So have things gotten that much more worse since then to have seen so many people sent packing? It doesn't seem that way to me.

Still, the change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Getting into silly internet slap fights can't be good for one's digestive system and the constant stress that ensues from pounding the keyboard in order to deliver what's sure to be a death-dealing riposte against one's opponent in the slap fight hurts only you, not the other fellow. He'll go along just as fat, dumb and happy in life as he was prior to the slap fight, in other words. ;-)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
JD21 wrote:
Referring to Windy or Duffy - or other banned former STer? Calling someone an asshole after they’re no longer here to defend themselves says a lot more about you than them.

I called Duffy an asshole on the phone last night. Know what he said in response? "Ugh muff oof moofin!"

Apparently, it is quite difficult to speak when you have Trump's balls in your mouth.

Yes, but they're big, luxurious balls. The best! So Mr. Duffy always has that going for him, which is nice. Besides, I hear Donny Two-Scoops is looking for a new Omarosa to fill whatever role it was the previous Omarosa filled in the White House, so there's hope for Duff yet. ;-)

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Agreed. It's Lieutenant Dan's turf and he gets to call 'em as he sees 'em, whether we like it or not. But really; we still have it made here -- even with any change in temper that may have arisen of late -- when you consider that most mainstream websites have thrown these sorts of chat rooms right over the side, leaving people to seek out the 4Chans and Reddits of the world. Ugh! Not only "No," but "HELL NO!"

Speaking honestly, I'd say this room is more trouble than it's worth for the Godfather. And yet he persisted. ;-)

Lastly, WTH could you have ever said that would have merited a yellow card from Il Duce? You've never come across, at least to me, as someone particularly nasty or mean-spirited. I mean, you and I used to have quite-spirited discussions -- on almost every issue -- but I don't recall you coming anywhere close to deserving the Banhammer. You've always been a mensch, at least to me.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [sphere] [ In reply to ]

sphere wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

The Packers.

The "Fudge Packers," you mean. Didn't they lose TWICE to the Detroit Lie-Downs this season? ;-) ;-)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

Replying to Trail, you said:

Quote:
Lastly, WTH could you have ever said that would have merited a yellow card from Il Duce? You've never come across, at least to me, as someone particularly nasty or mean-spirited. I mean, you and I used to have quite-spirited discussions -- on almost every issue -- but I don't recall you coming anywhere close to deserving the Banhammer. You've always been a mensch, at least to me.

Folks usually are more likely to get into trouble over stuff they are passionate about.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [H-] [ In reply to ]

H- wrote:
Replying to Trail, you said:

Quote:

Folks usually are more likely to get into trouble over stuff they are passionate about.

Well, that's foreshadowing and ominous -- in a Wuthering Heights kind of way. ;-)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]

TheRef65 wrote:
trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I don't see how people believe Dan can read every single thread in every forum to make sure everything is going okay. Everyone wants a pretty open forum and I believe Dan does as well but to assume he can and will let everything go is absurd. This is a business, his business and we are not his children. We're supposed to be adults and not needed to be watched 24/7.

I wouldn't just agree, I'd go farther. The problem with the business analogy is that it tempts us to imagine we are in some kind "customer and business" relationship where the smart business tries to some extent to keep us happy. A better analogy is that we're guests in Dan's home. We don't buy stuff from him. How often do LR types click on his web ads and therefore add to his revenue stream? The whole group of us probably doesn't buy him a beer/yr. We're here as guests and we occasionally cause him to grind his teeth.

We can occasionally be shitheads. Then we howl that we're supposed to have a right to be shitheads. Here. In Dan's home. That's fucked up. We don't have a right be shitheads in Dan's house, we have an obligation to be good guests, to be reasonably respectful of each other. Besides, it's so much more entertaining to read a really clever put-down then to read someone telling someone else "you're an idiot".

If you're not smart enough to craft a clever put-down, then this is the wrong place for you anyways.

Re. misandry. I had to look that up. Had no idea the word existed. There's meaning there.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 7, 18 6:56

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

big kahuna wrote:

Lastly, WTH could you have ever said that would have merited a yellow card from Il Duce?

It was actually the other forum where they talk about triathlon stuff. I went over-the-top in mocking an aspect of this site that wasn't found at all funny. I understand since this whole thing is his baby. You don't walk into someone's house and start cracking jokes about their life's work.

trail wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Lastly, WTH could you have ever said that would have merited a yellow card from Il Duce?

It was actually the other forum where they talk about triathlon stuff. I went over-the-top in mocking an aspect of this site that wasn't found at all funny. I understand since this whole thing is his baby. You don't walk into someone's house and start cracking jokes about their life's work.

Ah, got it. Thanks for clearing that up. Long ago, pre-exile, I used to drop in occasionally on the tri-forum and actually talk triathlon. They're a little touchy sometimes, to say the least. ;-)

Keep on commenting, my brother from another mother. You're one of the folks I consider an internet friend. :-)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]

RangerGress wrote:
Re. misandry. I had to look that up. Had no idea the word existed. There's meaning there.

My greatest use of an obscure word or a word that had fallen out of common usage was when I deployed "Brobdingnagian" in this forum in defense of some Dubya Bushitler policy or another back in the day.

We don't hear a lot of the word "misandry" because women never hold an ingrained prejudice or dislike against the male sex or men, do they? And so it's never spoken of. Because it never happens, right? ;-)

Things are changing as society changes, and Dan changes, which is dangerous because there is a push for complete non-offense, and many of the more recent generations expect that and can't handle anything otherwise. Duffy was right to point out the opposite, and benefits of dealing with offense, for the individual and the collective. The problem is when we, often Duffy, would hew to the being offensive for offense sake, and the results that can bring. I think the recent thread where he slammed a guy (fishbum) relative to experience der fish had with a friend whom he lost is a case in point: I don't think fishbum is posting any here now, and I see that as a loss because his take was left of center, but not hard or consistently so. The best posts (and therefore posters) IMO are grey.

ps. As a funny aside, I remember years ago hearing Limbaugh railed against those in the middle (often undecided on some issue), and thinking that's where the interesting conversations take place. Fast forward to today, and that's pretty much the only place conversation takes place.

Prev Next