Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
Serious question. If Duffy or ww write to JSA and post vicariously through him is that ok?

no. once you lose your privilege of posting here, you lose it.

FWIW, I won't be posting vicariously for Duffy. But, I will provide updates on how he is holding up, what with having to carry Trump's balls in his mouth all the time.

What about poo water updates?

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Just look in the giant crank length thread. Franks comments are being made under daves profile.

What I'm unclear on is if Dave himself is posting them or not, based on some of the comments Dave (as himself) has made in that same thread.

Shocked he wasn't aware of this.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [klehner] [ In reply to ]

klehner wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
"Fancy themselves victims" you say? You do realize that you, windy, Duffy are doing that exact thing, right? I mean, you have to realize that, don't you?

Nope.

You don't see the difference between running to a third-party authority figure to complain about someone in secret

Who did that? And you know that how?
-
Honestly, not that I'm slamming you or whoever else for doing so, but I figured you were the one who alerted Dan to the thread.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]

dave_w wrote:
klehner wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
"Fancy themselves victims" you say? You do realize that you, windy, Duffy are doing that exact thing, right? I mean, you have to realize that, don't you?

Nope.

You don't see the difference between running to a third-party authority figure to complain about someone in secret

-
Honestly, not that I'm slamming you or whoever else for doing so, but I figured you were the one who alerted Dan to the thread.

i was alerted to that thread by multiple people, none of whom were klehner or katy. i'm not going to go down the list of "clearing" various potential perps. which really would not solve whatever it is anybody might want to solve by the exercise.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JSA] [ In reply to ]

JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
Serious question. If Duffy or ww write to JSA and post vicariously through him is that ok?

FWIW, I won't be posting vicariously for Duffy. But, I will provide updates on how he is holding up, what with having to carry Trump's balls in his mouth all the time.

Nobody needs to worry about Duffy. He'll be busy eating fish tacos, surfing, kicking' dudes asses in the BJJ gym, and generally gettin' laid or fighting off the multitude of dudes and ladies who want to lay him. He's the greatest,...just ask him.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
You say nobody contacted you to complain about Duffy

that's not what i said. i wrote that katy did not contact me. yes, i did get contacted about that thread. and i read it all. and there wasn't anything in that thread that was any more insulting than what i've read here a thousand times before. but i guess you could say i just finally hit that point. i just got tired of misogyny for misogyny's sake. of insults for insults sake.

vitus979 wrote:
And no, I'm not sure that I've ever heard you say that testing the edges of what is crude will get you banned,

i wrote it here post 51. and it's not the only place.

vitus979 wrote:
or even hurling insult after insult. If that's really your standard, hardly anyone in here would survive the purge.

i'm not going to parse every element of a possible post to try to come up with a standard for civility that justice potter stewart couldn't define for obscenity. just, i could point you to a hundred posts, two hundred, where i pled for civility. some folks here just laughed and scoffed at that and okay. i took some action based on my best available wisdom and maybe it was entirely fair, maybe it was partially fair, maybe it was ill-advised. is what i did irrevocable? i don't know. but not a single person i banned has come back to me and said, hey, maybe i've been impolitic. can we try this again?

vitus979 wrote:
My general sense in the past was that posters who contribute nothing but insults and idiocy were at risk of being banned, and posters of that ilk would get hit with the ban hammer if they stepped over the line a little. Posters who make valuable and worthwhile contributions to the community are usually given more latitude.

yeah, i think that's probably fair.

vitus979 wrote:
Duffy is nowhere near the worst offender in either regard. Not even close. And he was a unique, interesting voice. I get that he was under your skin, but he was not nearly the most abrasive or combative poster in here, and his perspective can't be replaced. Windy, too.

i can't say that i disagree with your view.

Amazing you admit to inconsistency in your logic on how you determine who and when you will ban someone. Without so much of a warning to posters who have contributed over 50,000 post of top quality entertainment you ace them. You say you are tired of the insults- I can't think of any bigger insult to your loyal LR Slowtwitch fans than to ban our friends like you did. Yeah now everyone is insulted!

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
dave_w wrote:
klehner wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Nope.

-

i was alerted to that thread by multiple people, none of whom were klehner or katy. i'm not going to go down the list of "clearing" various potential perps. which really would not solve whatever it is anybody might want to solve by the exercise.
-
lighten up Francis, I'm not asking you to. I wrote that to Ken, and figured if he cared to, he would respond...that's all.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]

Uncle Arqyle wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Whatever. Not interested in Dan's mealy mouthed explanation, really. He's not generally honest about who's been banned and who isn't, and who does the banning, and why or why not. The whole thing started with Katy flying off the fucking handle about a totally innocuous and even-handed joke. And Dan has had a boner for Duffy forever. Fuck all that noise.

I'm pretty sure I've met Katy before. If she's the one that's friends with Ironclm, then I am not surprised in the least at her reaction in that thread.

Its hard to understand why there is so little clarity on whether someone has been banned and why they have been banned.

Because no matter the explanation, some people will endlessly fight with you about it. So why even try to justify yourself? Sometimes you just have to take out the trash. No need to discuss it in a group therapy session.

I think being wilfully obtuse is insulting to everyone. There are 1300 posts proving the point from the tag team flat earthers on the other forum, one of whom to my knowledge should not even be posting.

If someone is repeatedly deliberately obtuse, in effect insulting every other members intelligence by feigning a lack of understanding is That ok? Or does an insult need to be very obvious?

I have always found those that are passive aggressive, say "with all due respect" or feign ignorance or pretend not to understand well accepted norms, to be far more insulting than those who just swear or are crude.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]

dave_w wrote:
lighten up Francis, I'm not asking you to. I wrote that to Ken, and figured if he cared to, he would respond...that's all.

francis is light as feather. no problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [RZ] [ In reply to ]

Or as we say, you can lead a horse to water and sometimes you just have to shoot it

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]

Andrewmc wrote:
Or as we say, you can lead a horse to water and sometimes you just have to shoot it

Yes. Especially when it's an asshole and keeps kicking you when you don't expect it.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [RZ] [ In reply to ]

Referring to Windy or Duffy - or other banned former STer? Calling someone an asshole after they’re no longer here to defend themselves says a lot more about you than them.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

slowguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

Nobody needs to worry about Duffy. He'll be busy eating fish tacos, surfing, kicking' dudes asses in the BJJ gym, and generally gettin' laid or fighting off the multitude of dudes and ladies who want to lay him. He's the greatest,...just ask him.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I didn't want this post to go ignored because of it's incredible attention to accuracy. Well played slow guy, well played.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JD21] [ In reply to ]

JD21 wrote:
Referring to Windy or Duffy - or other banned former STer? Calling someone an asshole after they’re no longer here to defend themselves says a lot more about you than them.

Wut?

It's a generalized metaphor dude. Relax.

And no, I don't think Duffy is an asshole. I think he's a narcissistic attention whore who can't get enough of the attention that he gets by baiting people into arguments. I feel bad for him. I grew up in SoCal and I know people who are that conceited are really very unhappy on the inside.

Slowman wrote:
thank you.

To quote the not-so-immortal Rodney King: Cant't we all just get along?

And thank you for your patience with us. There are some very strong personalities here, naturally. And the place sometimes resembles a monkey shite fight at the zoo, but the perspectives of everyone here helps add to the conversation, I feel. As proprietor, you may or may not have some legal liability for what goes on in this particular hell hole, and I think we all understand that.

Personally, I like Mr. Duffy and Mr. Windywave, just as I like all of my internet friends that inhabit the left side of the aisle here. I hope one day soon those two gentlemen will be back in here, slugging it out and otherwise being memorable. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."

Since you felt the need to rationalize a defense I am guessing it hit too close to home?

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [JD21] [ In reply to ]

JD21 wrote:

i was thinking a similar thought while reading dan's reply of how duffy is, probably, doing. imo he seems to be mocking him, which i believe can be taken as a personal attack. an attack on someone who is unable to defend their position. it's that ban-worth? or hypocritical? or both???

Quote:

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]

Madduck wrote:
JD21 wrote:

i was thinking a similar thought while reading dan's reply of how duffy is, probably, doing. imo he seems to be mocking him, which i believe can be taken as a personal attack. an attack on someone who is unable to defend their position. it's that ban-worth? or hypocritical? or both???

Quote:

Dan didn't write that. I did. Slowman vs slowguy.

Slowguy

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]

slowguy wrote:
Madduck wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Quote:

you are right and i stand corrected and apologize.
sorry

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Jan 6, 18 15:49

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]

Madduck wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Madduck wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Quote:

then i stand corrected and apologize.
sorry

you are nevertheless correct. that's another tradition around here. no ragging on someone who's not able to defend him/herself.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

big kahuna wrote:
Slowman wrote:
thank you.

To quote the not-so-immortal Rodney King: Cant't we all just get along?

And thank you for your patience with us. There are some very strong personalities here, naturally. And the place sometimes resembles a monkey shite fight at the zoo, but the perspectives of everyone here helps add to the conversation, I feel. As proprietor, you may or may not have some legal liability for what goes on in this particular hell hole, and I think we all understand that.

Personally, I like Mr. Duffy and Mr. Windywave, just as I like all of my internet friends that inhabit the left side of the aisle here. I hope one day soon those two gentlemen will be back in here, slugging it out and otherwise being memorable. :-)

We can't. There are some people who are just going to keep escalating until they get the reaction they want. No one being honest can really think that there haven't been repeated instances where someone just keeps escalating their comments to see how over the line they can get.

FTR - as soon as I posted it I felt bad about my comment about BLep's wife, but it made me laugh to myself (and who else really matters) so I left it. At BLep's suggestion I had some spotted dick, meh, not my cup of tea.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

Re: Been tied up in a deposition most of the day - so ... who's been banned? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]

big kahuna wrote:

Duffy is turning in his digital grave at you labeling him "left side of the aisle." You know he's a Trump ball-washer, possibly the best!!

Slowman wrote:
Madduck wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Madduck wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Quote:

then i stand corrected and apologize.
sorry

you are nevertheless correct. that's another tradition around here. no ragging on someone who's not able to defend him/herself.

Uh huh. Must be one of those brand new traditions.

Slowguy

slowguy wrote:
Uh huh. Must be one of those brand new traditions.

not exactly. last post in this thread (as one example). i might be an asshole, but i'm a consistent asshole.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next