Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids and pets that pass
Quote | Reply
15yo silky terrier was euthanised by my cousin (a vet) at my parents home today. She had cancer for some time and other than loss of appetite from time to time did ok. My parents left for a cruise last Monday and since then she went downhill fast.

It got to the stage where her breathing was laboured and she struggled to stay on her feet. Took her for a final lap of the park in a stroller with my youngest two and she seemed to enjoy it but after getting home she went south quick.

Three kids (11, 8 and four) saw her just before the injection then again after she passed. Obviously upset. Parents were shattered they couldnÂ’t make it back in time (return Wed). She is being buried tomorrow morning but their mum says theyÂ’ve seen enough. I always saw our dogs being buried growing up. I feel like sheÂ’s sheltering them too much.

What has been your experience growing up and/or what is your approach to your own kids and grieving?
Quote Reply
Re: Kids and pets that pass [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife got our kids who were 6 and 4 when we put our dog down a book called IÂ’ll always love you. . She gives it to friends who have kids or her students when they have to put a pet down. Other then talking about it with them we really didnÂ’t do much.

They still mention he from time to time and talk about missing him. Mostly they tell stories about things they remember about him. I thought our kids would be sadder but they handled it very well. We or I havenÂ’t gotten a new dog. That also comes up a lot.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Kids and pets that pass [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up on a farm, dead animals were a regular occurrence including shooting a rooster that couldn't distinguish between 3:00am and 6:00am.

Know first hand what "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" actually means, what a cow looks like when it gets into some odd feed and bloats, cats getting mauled by bobcats/ coyotes/ whatever. Too many people are insulated from that stuff and don't accept that death is part of life.
Quote Reply