Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dentists of the LR - Gum graft?
Quote | Reply
My wife's dentist has recommended that she get a gum graft for receding gums saying if she doesn't she will eventually lose the teeth prematurely.

Is this a legit thing that actually accomplishes anything with a reasonable success rate or just something that gets done but in the long run doesn't really make any difference? Anyone had it done with any success and/or horror stories?

Google of course produces results varying between it's awesome to it's terrible (and every possible form of homemade remedy, some of which are quite comical).

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Dentists of the LR - Gum graft? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never heard of this until last week, when one of the students said her boyfriend had it done. So I would say yes it's a real thing. Only other thing to add, is that she said it hurts like hell and is not a pleasant experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Dentists of the LR - Gum graft? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's definitely a thing that happens. I guess I'm just wondering if it has a good success rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it can help alot.
depending on where the graft location is and the donor site, it can be very unpleasant.

i have plenty of patients that have had them with great results.

as far as losing the teeth, i'd have to see xrays and periodontal charting

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Dentists of the LR - Gum graft? [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm not sure on the graft and donor locations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know about grafts but I just went through what was called scaling and deep cleaning . . . Where they clean teeth to below gum line. Thinking is to give gums a clean surface to reattach. Hope it works. BTW I had deep pockets like lots of 4 and 5 millimeters
The procedure was awful but sounds more comfortable than grafting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a gum graft when I was about 10-12 years old. It was done to repair damage to my lower gums from an overbite. The donor location was the roof of my mouth near my molars. I don't remember it being extremely painful or having a long recovery. It was an in office procedure. For many years, you could see where the graft was as the area wasn't as pink as my other gums but now its practically indistinguishable from the neighboring areas. I guess I could call it a success as I have had no issues with the graft area and none of my teeth have fallen out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
My wife's dentist has recommended that she get a gum graft for receding gums saying if she doesn't she will eventually lose the teeth prematurely.

Is this a legit thing that actually accomplishes anything with a reasonable success rate or just something that gets done but in the long run doesn't really make any difference? Anyone had it done with any success and/or horror stories?

Google of course produces results varying between it's awesome to it's terrible (and every possible form of homemade remedy, some of which are quite comical).

Thanks for any advice!

My dad was told fifty years ago to get this procedure or he would lose all his teeth. Being the skeptic that he is, he ignored the dental advice and switched dentist. Today at 92 still has every one of his teeth. I had a dentist who told me I should get my gums grafted and gave me the same story. I got a second opinion and was told that although my gums were receded a bit, I don't them grafted. I'm sure that there are cases where it is necessary but I'm also sure that there are dentists out there who over sell their procedures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this done on two sites in my mouth - the donor site was the roof of my mouth and it was not painful at all - on a scale of 1-10- about 3 - the donor site packaging fell out after a day or two and had to go back and get it replaced.

Overall very happy with the outcome and my dentist told me the expression of "Someone getting long in the tooth" - originates from receding gum lines. :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the pinhole gum graft done February of this year on one tooth on top, one tooth on bottom. The top has been excellent. The bottom has receded slightly enough to become sensitive again. Follow up appointment is tomorrow. Since surgery I've had an incisor recede as well. Surgery and recovery was painless, just a nagging swollen feeling for a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thus is what I know.
Gum follows bone.
If you are losing gum ( pink) you are also likely losing bone.

There are two types of pink. The hard attached stuff that works like a gasket around the teeth and protects bone. The other is the darker floppy unatttached stuff that goes from the hard pink stuff to your cheeks or lips.

When the hard pink stuff recedes there is less and less protection. Some people have lots of hard pink and can stand a fair amount of recession. Others have less and if there is 1mm or less and it looks 'rolled' and red then a graft is a good idea.

Success depends on etiology and whether those factors are controlled.

Anatomy, genetics, Hygiene and smoking are contributing.

Once all the hard pink is gone the floppy stuff does little to act as a gasket.

Sometimes grafting is done for cosmetic reasons.
Quote Reply