Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New call to boycott [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Your response assumes a position that vitus never takes. He's not saying that we need to change the Constitution. He's just suggesting that our culture is veering towards excessive political purges of minor "speech" infractions that are mostly just vendettas between warring tribes.

He's against that culture. Me too.

Edit: I started this before 9pm. =)

Yeah, I'm kind of with him. I just get distracted by the term "free speech." That's a loaded term with some very specific definitions.

But I don't think our time is all that special in this regard. There are periods of time in our history where people's "free speech" (ug) was far more corrosively restrained by social pressure between ideological factions than these modern-day social media tantrums. E.g. McCarthyism, when a lot of people lost their jobs with no transparent display of evidence or due process whatsoever.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 8, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Like, at all. I'm saying people need to start exercising their rights more responsibly- and that definitely includes refraining from the full use of one's free speech at times in order to afford others the right to speech.

OK, I'm on board with that. I just wouldn't use the term "free speech" when referring to it.

Before this thread, I had not realized how many people want the term "free speech" to only apply to constitutionally protected free speech. I think this is unnecessarily US-centric. Frankly I'm surprised that some of you otherwise mostly reasonable folks are getting high-centered on this.

What term would you prefer vitus use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're mistaken to object to me framing it in terms of "free speech." I am talking about free speech, which can be threatened or suppressed by a variety of factors or entities, not simply the government. It's possible that the government doesn't suppress free speech in society, but some other force does, in which case, free speech is still suppressed, and society still does not reap the benefits that we believe arise from free speech.

What you're talking about is the First Amendment and the protections it provides. I'm speaking of free speech more generally.

If large numbers of people wouldn't even think of posting a partisan thought publicly on social media for fear of losing their jobs, I submit that freedom of speech has already taken a hit. No, nobody's Constitutional rights have been violated. But it's hardly the height of freedom, either.

And yeah, I get that there are consequences to free speech, and there should be. But the consequences should be organic and proportional to the speech. Simply saying that "you're free to speech, you just have to deal with the consequence of losing your ability to support yourself" is sort of ridiculous. I might just as well say that we'd be equally free of government oppression even if we repealed the First Amendment. After all, you'd still be free to speak- you just might have to face the consequence of going to jail.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

Before this thread, I had not realized how many people want the term "free speech" to only apply to constitutionally protected free speech. I think this is unnecessarily US-centric. Frankly I'm surprised that some of you otherwise mostly reasonable folks are getting high-centered on this.

What term would you prefer vitus use?

I don't think it's U.S.-centric. The origins are Greek/Roman, and the primary definition has long been centered on being a legal right. What vitus is talking about is rather "freedom from societal sanction" (stealing from Wikipedia entry). That's different than legality. Legality always carries the baggage of the government weighing in.

I'd prefer vitus use the term "can't-everyone-just-get-along-and-stop-being-douche-bags-for-fucks-sake-because-damn."
Last edited by: trail: Nov 8, 17 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear you. I just read the word "right" and I think "legal right." You're thinking "natural right." Personally I think the only things worth calling a "right" are the ones legally enforced. Everything else is just wishful thinking - hoping people act decently.

But legal vs. natural is a whole other debate thread.

We agree with each other on the fundamental issue, so let's just end it there.
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Why do you like it? Why not just donate in your name?

Organisations often send thank yous to donors, so if you do it in someone else's name, they get the reminder that others view that organisation as important to their lives.

Um okay
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
It’s stupid and childish. Plain and simple. Other than maybe annoying Pence it does nothing.

I disagree. I think it's savvy. In annoying him, he has to recognize that people care about the organization. It's like counter-lobbying. Moreover, it gets money to an organization like planned parenthood - and that is doing something.

So cute you think a) the vice president opens his mail b) he gives a flying fuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm against killing babies but the real reason I boycott Jim Beam is because it tastes horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should fire her and hire that FBI agent as spokesperson.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now this Hannity Keurig-smashing thing is just idiotic, and encouraged by Hannity himself. Seemingly bad business by Hannity anyway. If you're a potential new Hannity advertiser - even one with corprorate ideology consistent with Hannity - wouldn't you now think twice about signing that advertising contract if you think that Hannity is going to throw your company under the bus if something goes south?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hannity really is bad for America.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just now reading about the Hannity Keureg dustup for the first time. Wow.

The internet taketh away, but it sure does giveth.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: New call to boycott [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Sorry, I was off Twitter for a while,” wrote the author Geraldine DeRuiter. “It appears that people are destroying coffee machines to show their support of child molesters?”

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next