Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Needlessly being a dick, don't you think?

Why not just provide your own better standard rather than shit on mine? The OP was asking for input, not an evaluation of my first pass on this.

And here I thought you were being a dick. :)

From my first response:
The Doors, Credence, Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Santana, ZZTop, Grateful Dead, Heart, Cheap Trick, Talking Heads, Jefferson Airplane, Alice Cooper, Kiss, ...

If you put the bottom at having sold 20 million for an album you have two Beatles, one Zeppelin, and one or two Floyd depending one your time cutoff.

Classic rock was never about album sales. If you want to be depressed look through the top albums by year. 1967, one of the greatest years for music. Fucking Monkees had the #1 album for 31 weeks in '66 and '67, their first only displaced by the second.

Bruce was popular long before Born in the USA, and it wasn't his best work.

I don't think we can validate classic rock(or any music) by album sales any more than we can by Grammy wins.

The only standard I can give you is will you listen to it 10 years later (or 50).

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Jimi Hendrix

The Jimi Hendrix Experience should be considered an English band with an American singer/guitarist/songwriter. Formed in England with everyone else involved English.

How about Yes and Kansas? Or do we have to go to early Prince?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think looking at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees might be a better measuring stick than 20M in album sales. Looking at the R&R Hall of Fame classes... The Beatles went in in '88, The Stones in '89, The Who and The Kinks in '90. American bands that were inducted after that...

1991 - The Byrds
1992 - Jimi Hendrix Experience
1993 - CCR, The Doors
1994 - The Band, Grateful Dead
1995 - Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, Allman Brothers, Neil Young (if you want to expand to North America)
1996 - Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground
1997 - Buffalo Springfield, CS&N, P-Funk, Jackson 5
1998 - The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Mamas and the Papas
1999 - Springsteen, Billy Joel
2000 - James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt
2001 - Aerosmith, Steely Dan
2002 - Talking Heads, Ramones, Tom Petty

... A couple others I didn't see mentioned - The Pretenders, Jackson Browne, Blondie, R.E.M., Patti Smith, Bob Seger, Metallica....
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd put the Pretenders in the same category with the Jimi Hendrix Experience that someone mentioned above - formed in London with an American front-person and all-British band members both for the original lineup and the initial reboot after James Honeyman Scott and Pete Farndon passed.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll call The Pretenders a push since Scott and Farndon were arguably as important as Hyde to the band. However, there was a reason it wasn't The Noel Redding Experience... it was Jimi's band.
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't think we can validate classic rock(or any music) by album sales any more than we can by Grammy wins.

The only standard I can give you is will you listen to it 10 years later (or 50). "

Here's my take on it, and an argument often missed. Just because it sells doesn't mean its good, but if its good it'll sell.

But yes, I agree, your standard is a better one. Haven't heard too much Jefferson Airplane on the radio in the last 30 years, so I'll contend they were no Beatles or Rolling Stones. =)

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Van Halen?

My thought exactly.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I think post British Invasion I am thinking after the Sex Pistols toured, so Black Flag.

Seriously no one mentioned Rush, Loverboy was mentioned but not Rush (who i cannot stand).

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
When I think post British Invasion I am thinking after the Sex Pistols toured, so Black Flag.

Seriously no one mentioned Rush, Loverboy was mentioned but not Rush (who i cannot stand).
Canadians don't count.
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:
I'll call The Pretenders a push since Scott and Farndon were arguably as important as Hyde to the band. However, there was a reason it wasn't The Noel Redding Experience... it was Jimi's band.

Fair point.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep Purple was a pretty big deal back then...
Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Canadians don't count.

TRUE. But Loverboy is from Calgary.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: What/when was the first post British Invasion big American rock band? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Van Halen?

My thought exactly.

Van Halen was The Runaways in drag

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 7, 17 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:
I think looking at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees might be a better measuring stick than 20M in album sales. Looking at the R&R Hall of Fame classes... The Beatles went in in '88, The Stones in '89, The Who and The Kinks in '90. American bands that were inducted after that...

1991 - The Byrds
1992 - Jimi Hendrix Experience
1993 - CCR, The Doors
1994 - The Band, Grateful Dead
1995 - Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, Allman Brothers, Neil Young (if you want to expand to North America)
1996 - Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground
1997 - Buffalo Springfield, CS&N, P-Funk, Jackson 5
1998 - The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Mamas and the Papas
1999 - Springsteen, Billy Joel
2000 - James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt
2001 - Aerosmith, Steely Dan
2002 - Talking Heads, Ramones, Tom Petty

... A couple others I didn't see mentioned - The Pretenders, Jackson Browne, Blondie, R.E.M., Patti Smith, Bob Seger, Metallica....

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, perhaps? They may be in, I forget

Cheap Trick just got in, correct?

Joan Jett was inducted with The Blackhearts, whereas I think The Runaways should have been inducted together as a whole

And RnR HOF is compete bullshit without WARREN fucking ZEVON

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next