Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guns in Airports [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
And here we go. This is the point of the debate were veganerd, being proven wrong, moves the goal posts. This is the primary reason no one can take seriously a discussion with you.

Sorry, but on this one, it's you who is really squirming to try to avoid the conclusion veganerd was making. It was absolutely clear that veganerd wasn't talking about the majority of firearm variants, but rather the number of firearms total. And while yes, an AK-47 is just one type of gun, each one of them that is produced carries the same design.

We were talking about the sheer number of guns vs the sheer number of automobiles. We were talking about the designed purpose for the two categories of items. The vast majority of automobiles were designed with the purpose of transportation. Likewise, the vast majority of firearms were designed with the purpose of injuring or killing an animal or person. If you need someone to spell out that these statements include the caveat "were designed or share a common design" then I'd suggest you're just making things more difficult than they need to be.

No, we are not. Words have meaning. Context has meaning. He tried to claim all guns were "designed" to kill. There are thousands of gun designs. The majority of those designs were not created with the intent of the firearm to kill. That is a fact. If that were the case, we would not have multiple calibers, compact designs, different grips, different sights, etc., etc.

You know military weapons, no doubt. You absolutely are not familiar with the civilian firearm market.

If you want claim the majority of guns manufactured are for military purposes, I would agree. That was not what he was saying, however. Several people on this thread understood that. You and veganerd were saying one thing and thinking another.

Here's some Kleenex for when you're done stroking your statutory-interpretation-applied-to-the-LR-for-the-sake-of-winning-an-argument boner.

Or people could simply articulate themselves properly rather than trying to bastardize their words once they are backed into a corner.

But, I'll still take your Kleenex.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Airports [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Words have meaning. Context has meaning. He tried to claim all guns were "designed" to kill. There are thousands of gun designs.

Yes, words have meanings. He didn't say most gun designs have the purpose of killing. He said most guns. It's you who is inserting this extra wicket for him to jump through.

Quote:
The majority of those designs were not created with the intent of the firearm to kill. That is a fact.

Well, I'm not so sure it is a fact, and since nobody has offered any list of all firearms designs and which were designed to kill or injure, I suspect you don't either, and are just blowing smoke.

Quote:
If that were the case, we would not have multiple calibers, compact designs, different grips, different sights, etc., etc.

Sure we would. Are you seriously trying to say that we don't have multiple calibers of guns that are all designed to kill? Multiple types of sights for weapons designed to kill? Of course we do. The existence of variation in design (by itself) doesn't imply anything about whether the designed purpose is for killing or target shooting.

Quote:
You know military weapons, no doubt. You absolutely are not familiar with the civilian firearm market.

You don't, quite frankly, have any clue what I'm familiar with, but that shouldn't stop you from declaring what you think you know.

Quote:
If you want claim the majority of guns manufactured are for military purposes, I would agree.

I'm happy with that claim, but that doesn't invalidate or replace the original claim.

Quote:
That was not what he was saying, however. Several people on this thread understood that. You and veganerd were saying one thing and thinking another.

Nope. We said what we meant, and you and stal mounted a tortured defense of firearms, for really no reason other than to argue.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's some Kleenex for when you're done stroking your statutory-interpretation-applied-to-the-LR-for-the-sake-of-winning-an-argument boner.

[/quote]

Or people could simply articulate themselves properly rather than trying to bastardize their words once they are backed into a corner.

But, I'll still take your Kleenex.[/quote]
Cool. You never know, that "ohh...ohh...ohh - TEXTUALISM!!!!!" moment can sneak up on the best of us ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:
stal wrote:

Guns are not designed to kill. They are designed to sling lead at a target under a specific set of circumstances. Guns are a tool and like most tools it can be used to kill.

Sweet mental gymnastics.

Cars arent made for transpotation, theyre made to turn wheels!

They are just a tool to hurl tons of metal down long stretches of fake smooth rock. How you use them is up to you.

An Indy car is not made for transportation. A NASCAR car is not made for transportation. Rally car, drag racer, demolition derby, show car, restored classic car, etc. are not made for transportation. If one were to say "all cars are made for transportation," one would be wrong.

You are a lawyer. You know words have meaning. You also should be familiar with logical fallacies and poor articulation via the written word.

Now youre inserting the word "all" when i said "most"

Btw. Racecars are designed for transportation too. Theyre designed to transport the driver from the start line to the finish line very fast.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
An Indy car is not made for transportation. A NASCAR car is not made for transportation. Rally car, drag racer, demolition derby, show car, restored classic car, etc. are not made for transportation. If one were to say "all cars are made for transportation," one would be wrong.

Sure they are. They're made for transporting a driver around a race track. They are further designed to do so at as fast a speed as possible. They replaced the previous object used to transport racers around track,...the horse. And the horse replaced transporting yourself by foot. Etc.

Now there are certainly some cars that aren't designed to actually transport anyone, because they're made as showpieces without functioning motors or suspensions, or whatever. It's never wise to declaratively state that 100% of anything meets a particular narrow definition, because there is almost always an exception.

Of course, that's not what we're really dealing with in this thread.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:
stal wrote:

Guns are not designed to kill. They are designed to sling lead at a target under a specific set of circumstances. Guns are a tool and like most tools it can be used to kill.

Sweet mental gymnastics.

They are just a tool to hurl tons of metal down long stretches of fake smooth rock. How you use them is up to you.

You are a lawyer. You know words have meaning. You also should be familiar with logical fallacies and poor articulation via the written word.

You know, I was just yanking your chain, not even your's exactly. But now you have gone too far. :)

Yes they are. You haven't defined transportation properly. It all references back to the definition of transport.

trans·port
verb

tranˈspĂ´rt/

1. 1.
    take or carry (people or goods) from one place to another by means of a vehicle, aircraft, or ship.

Race cars of all sorts take someone from one point to another.

Restoring a classic car does not change what its original design goal.

Not sure what a 'show car' is exactly. If it is like a show motorcycle that is never meant to be ridden then you may have found one.

Are 'demolition cars' actually a type of their own or a repurposed vehicle? Even if they are specifically designed they are designed to move people from one place to another for as long as possible.

None of the above should be taken seriously nor taken as an invitation to argue in anything other than jest as I am not invested enough in the original topic to fight.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Airports [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not sure what a 'show car' is exactly. If it is like a show motorcycle that is never meant to be ridden then you may have found one

Even show cars are fundamentally designed for transportation. The owners might paint them up, change body lines, etc, and they may never actually use them for transportation, but their underlying design remains. A body, wheels, an engine,...they are designed for transportation.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am not invested enough in the original topic to fight.

If you arent picking a side then you are chosing the side of the oppressor! đŸ˜‰

Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Airports [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Words have meaning. Context has meaning. He tried to claim all guns were "designed" to kill. There are thousands of gun designs.

Yes, words have meanings. He didn't say most gun designs have the purpose of killing. He said most guns. It's you who is inserting this extra wicket for him to jump through.
Nope. He said:

Post 29: "Also, most cars are designed for transporation, most guns are designed to kill."

Post 38:

"What i wrote is not a fallacy, but ironically, what you wrote is. Its a non-sequitur. Just because something isnt used for X, does not mean it wasnt designed to do X. By your logic, nuclear weapons arent designed to kill since most do not.

Nearly all of the guns in existence are designed to kill
."

There is big difference and you should be able to see it.

slowguy wrote:
Quote:
The majority of those designs were not created with the intent of the firearm to kill. That is a fact.

Well, I'm not so sure it is a fact, and since nobody has offered any list of all firearms designs and which were designed to kill or injure, I suspect you don't either, and are just blowing smoke.
Nope. That is a fact. First and foremost, a pistol is not an offensive weapon. You know this. Every Glock was not "designed to kill" anymore than every FBI agent is equipped with a Glock "to kill." Nearly every pistol was designed as a defensive weapon and deterrent. Then we have entire classes of guns like the Walther P22 and the Browning 1911-22 that were specifically designed as entry-level training firearms. We have categories of AR variants like those from Faxon Arms that were designed and manufactured for 3-gun competitions. Etc., etc.

slowguy wrote:
Quote:
If that were the case, we would not have multiple calibers, compact designs, different grips, different sights, etc., etc.

Sure we would. Are you seriously trying to say that we don't have multiple calibers of guns that are all designed to kill? Multiple types of sights for weapons designed to kill? Of course we do. The existence of variation in design (by itself) doesn't imply anything about whether the designed purpose is for killing or target shooting.
Of course we don't. The .22 was never intended to be an offensive killing round. What you are saying is akin to saying all ammunition was designed to kill. Ridiculous. Range ammo was not designed (or manufactured) to kill. Could it? Sure, but that is not its design. That's why we have hollow point and other defensive rounds, which are designed to kill (or at least incapacitate).

slowguy wrote:
Quote:

You don't, quite frankly, have any clue what I'm familiar with, but that shouldn't stop you from declaring what you think you know.

I am merely going off the evidence you have provided over the years, which is quite compelling.

slowguy wrote:
Quote:
If you want claim the majority of guns manufactured are for military purposes, I would agree.

I'm happy with that claim, but that doesn't invalidate or replace the original claim.

Quote:
That was not what he was saying, however. Several people on this thread understood that. You and veganerd were saying one thing and thinking another.

Nope. We said what we meant, and you and stal mounted a tortured defense of firearms, for really no reason other than to argue.

Nope. Veganerd made a false statement, which was pointed out. Then he doubled down on that false statement and again was called out. So he tried again with "what I meant was..." That's fine. But, quit trying to argue your first point was valid. Just admit that was wrong, was not what you meant, and go on.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Airports [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:
stal wrote:

Sweet mental gymnastics.

Now youre inserting the word "all" when i said "most"

Btw. Racecars are designed for transportation too. Theyre designed to transport the driver from the start line to the finish line very fast.

I was not referring to you with this response. I never claimed you said "all." I realize you said "most."

Race cars are not meant to "transport" the driver.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Sure they are. They're made for transporting a driver around a race track. They are further designed to do so at as fast a speed as possible. They replaced the previous object used to transport racers around track,...the horse. And the horse replaced transporting yourself by foot. Etc.

Now there are certainly some cars that aren't designed to actually transport anyone, because they're made as showpieces without functioning motors or suspensions, or whatever. It's never wise to declaratively state that 100% of anything meets a particular narrow definition, because there is almost always an exception.

Of course, that's not what we're really dealing with in this thread.

No, they are not. Teams are permitted to switch drivers during races. The purpose is to move the vehicle around the track at a high rate of speed, not to transport the driver or anything else. That may be done by remote control some day.

Last edited by: JSA: Oct 26, 17 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

What are they meant to do?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
I am not invested enough in the original topic to fight.

If you arent picking a side then you are chosing the side of the oppressor! đŸ˜‰

If forced to choose, I choose the side that has bacon. I guess you lose. (If you give me Faken Bacon I will kick your ass.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Teams are permitted to switch drivers during races. The purpose is to move the vehicle around the track at a high rate of speed, not to transport the driver or anything else. That may be done by remote control some day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Teams are permitted to switch drivers during races. The purpose is to move the vehicle around the track at a high rate of speed, not to transport the driver or anything else. That may be done by remote control some day.

But today they transport a driver. And even without a driver a viable argument could be made that they are still transporting 'goods' of some sort ( at least much more viable than arguing they aren't designed to transport a driver today). Changing the person out for another person does not change the purpose of the car.

In 10,000 years this is going to be all that can be found of the internet. That further civilization will be quite confused that we had so much time on our hands that we would argue about whether or not race cars were a means of transportation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Youre being silly, but i still like you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

But today they transport a driver. And even without a driver a viable argument could be made that they are still transporting 'goods' of some sort ( at least much more viable than arguing they aren't designed to transport a driver today). Changing the person out for another person does not change the purpose of the car.

In 10,000 years this is going to be all that can be found of the internet. That further civilization will be quite confused that we had so much time on our hands that we would argue about whether or not race cars were a means of transportation.

The driver is merely a component of the car. Saying the "purpose" of the racecar is to "transport" the driver is like saying the purpose of a racecar is to transport the steering wheel around the track.

No, it isn't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

The driver is merely a component of the car. Saying the "purpose" of the racecar is to "transport" the driver is like saying the purpose of a racecar is to transport the steering wheel around the track.

No, it isn't.

Who gets the trophy? The driver or the steering wheel?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Youre being silly, but i still like you.

I still like you as well, but, it must be hell inside your head ...

I'll say the same to you - claiming the "purpose" of a racecar is to "transport" the driver around the track is like saying the purpose of the racecar is to transport the steering wheel around the track. No, it isn't.

Ricky Bobby should have taught everyone that the car has to cross the finish line, not the driver. The driver is irrelevant and is merely a component of the car. Thus, the winner of an auto race is not the driver to first cross the line. It is the car.

The opposite can be said about a triathlon during which the bike transports the racer. The racer must cross the line first to win and the racer uses the bike for transportation, rather than being a mere component of the object that must cross the finish line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

No, it isn't.

Who gets the trophy? The driver or the steering wheel?

Irrelevant to the discussion. If the driver crossed the finish line outside the car, the driver would not be the winner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

No, it isn't.

Someone needs to go to the rule book because I don't know. If the driver falls out and the car crosses the line without him, does the car win?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, they are not. Teams are permitted to switch drivers during races.

At which point the car is transporting a separate driver. Regardless, the car has to transport a driver. The cars don't drive themselves, at least not yet.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Nope. He said:

Post 29: "Also, most cars are designed for transporation, most guns are designed to kill."

Post 38:

"What i wrote is not a fallacy, but ironically, what you wrote is. Its a non-sequitur. Just because something isnt used for X, does not mean it wasnt designed to do X. By your logic, nuclear weapons arent designed to kill since most do not.

Nearly all of the guns in existence are designed to kill
."

There is big difference and you should be able to see it.

I certainly see the difference between what he said, and the tortured meaning you're trying to ascribe to his words.

JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Quote:

Nope. That is a fact. First and foremost, a pistol is not an offensive weapon. You know this. Every Glock was not "designed to kill" anymore than every FBI agent is equipped with a Glock "to kill." Nearly every pistol was designed as a defensive weapon and deterrent. Then we have entire classes of guns like the Walther P22 and the Browning 1911-22 that were specifically designed as entry-level training firearms. We have categories of AR variants like those from Faxon Arms that were designed and manufactured for 3-gun competitions. Etc., etc.

Whether a pistol is an offensive weapon or not is irrelevant. Nobody claimed that all or most guns were offensive.

Again, until you can provide a list of all variants of firearm and show that more of them were designed specifically to shoot at paper and not animals or people, then you're claiming facts not in evidence counselor.

JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Of course we don't. The .22 was never intended to be an offensive killing round.

You're mistaken on your history. The .22 round was designed back in 1850s for rifles and Smith and Wesson's first pistol. It was a small game and self defense round, long before it became the choice for target shooting.

JSA wrote:
What you are saying is akin to saying all ammunition was designed to kill. Ridiculous. Range ammo was not designed (or manufactured) to kill. Could it? Sure, but that is not its design. That's why we have hollow point and other defensive rounds, which are designed to kill (or at least incapacitate).

That's not akin to what I'm saying, since I'm not claiming "all" anything, and since I pretty carefully crafted my assertion to include kill and/or injure.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

At which point the car is transporting a separate driver. Regardless, the car has to transport a driver. The cars don't drive themselves, at least not yet.

LOL! Yeah, just like the race car is "transporting" the steering wheel!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

LOL! Yeah, just like the race car is "transporting" the steering wheel!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Can you win the race if the driver falls out? Will the result be the same if the steering wheel or any other part of the car falls out?

And in the event of a crash, what part of the car crossing the line counts? Google is letting me down. I'm betting it is the part that has the driver in it, not the part with the steering wheel if they are separate.

These are burning questions that must be answered.

Last edited by: j p o: Oct 26, 17 10:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next