Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women
Quote | Reply
Interesting ...

Quebec has adopted a law that will force people to show their faces when taking the bus or borrowing a book from the library, pushing ahead with legislation that is being criticized for targeting Muslim Canadian women.
Bill 62, which the Justice Minister described as a North American first, requires one's face to be uncovered when giving or receiving public services. The law marks the outcome of a contentious, decade-long debate about the place of religious minorities in Quebec.

Details of how the law would apply have yet to be worked out, but critics are concerned it will empower civil servants such as front-line hospital workers to refuse service to a woman in a niqab or burka.
The Justice Minister, Stéphanie Vallée, confirmed that the law would apply to anyone taking a city bus. "To take public transit, you have to have your face uncovered. All through the ride," Ms. Vallée said on Wednesday.

The Liberals used their majority in the Quebec National Assembly to adopt the law on Wednesday, 66 to 51. The opposition parties voted against it, with the Parti Québécois and Coalition Avenir Québec saying it didn't go far enough.

The legislation is already being criticized by Muslim organizations, civil-rights groups and Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, whose city will bear the brunt of the law's provisions as home to most of Quebec's immigrants. He called the idea of a city librarian turning away a woman in a face covering "totally unacceptable."

Legal experts say they expect the law to be challenged in court.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/...ims/article36638544/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Oct 19, 17 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the Canucks in the LR will be in agreement that Quebec'ans aren't really Canucks...
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait.. what? This is a law supported by Liberals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, no, no, it's "religious neutrality"!

http://www.cbc.ca/...ka-bill-62-1.4360121
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. "Canada" did not. Quebec did.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Canada" hasn't adopted this. Quebec has.

Quebec is weird.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why are you Americans so obsessed with Canada? Get over it, you lost.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I'm sure the Canucks in the LR will be in agreement that Quebec'ans aren't really Canucks...

They really are a different breed.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

It's not so simple. Liberals in Canada are the centrist party. NDP is the left wing party, conservative are the right wing party. However, our conservative party is quite a bit further left then your conservative party.

Also, Quebec is a whole other ball of wax. Completely different cultural mindset, language, customs, etc from the rest of Canada. Most from there will proclaim themselves Quebecers first, Canadians second, if at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
orphious wrote:

It's not so simple. Liberals in Canada are the centrist party. NDP is the left wing party, conservative are the right wing party. However, our conservative party is quite a bit further left then your conservative party.

Also, Quebec is a whole other ball of wax. Completely different cultural mindset, language, customs, etc from the rest of Canada. Most from there will proclaim themselves Quebecers first, Canadians second, if at all.

But, do Quebecers kneel for the Canadian National Anthem?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liberals are the conservatives of Quebec. Same in British Columbia. It sorta like democrats in Montana being somewhat conservative.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
orphious wrote:

But, do Quebecers kneel for the Canadian National Anthem?

I don't know and certainly don't care. After a while, you kind of just tune out the nonsense coming from that province.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
orphious wrote:

It's not so simple. Liberals in Canada are the centrist party.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
why are you Americans so obsessed with Canada? Get over it, you lost.

On this one we are waiting to see how it plays out for you before we do the same. Good luck suckers

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

They really are a different breed.

The real question here is, what’s the Hell’s Angels take on this?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
orphious wrote:

It's not so simple. Liberals in Canada are the centrist party.

Relatively speaking, the are further right then the NDP and further left then the conservatives.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Since they control the government in Quebec, they must be on the same page...

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Since they control the government in Quebec, they must be on the same page...

That’s kind of what I was getting at...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Quebec is weird.

I hear this a lot from Canadians. A couple questions:

1. What do you mean by this and

2. How autonomous are the provinces? Is it akin to a state in the US? What I mean is - does federal law override provincial law?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this law also apply to anyone covering one's face? Like a person wearing a mask, stocking, or even a hoodie?
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Does this law also apply to anyone covering one's face? Like a person wearing a mask, stocking, or even a hoodie?

Yes. This is how they are justifying it as not being related to religious beliefs, saying it applies to anyone who wears any form of face covering. Perhaps not a hoodie, unless it had a face mask insert that actually covered the face. In the article, they talk about it applying to bandanas and possibly even large sunglasses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quebec is weird.

A few examples of how they are different.

• It is a French only province so all signs have to be in French only. They actually have a language department that goes around measuring the height of English words to make sure they are not dominant.
  • If a Company has an English name (eg. Walmart), they can keep that name but have to add a description in French.
  • Quebec has it's own immigration service, independent from the rest of Canada.
  • Quebec follows our Federal Criminal justice system which is based on English Common Law but for civil cases, they follow the Napoleonic Code.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Quebec is weird.

A few examples of how they are different.

• It is a French only province so all signs have to be in French only. They actually have a language department that goes around measuring the height of English words to make sure they are not dominant.
  • If a Company has an English name (eg. Walmart), they can keep that name but have to add a description in French.
  • Quebec has it's own immigration service, independent from the rest of Canada.
  • Quebec follows our Federal Criminal justice system which is based on English Common Law but for civil cases, they follow the Napoleonic Code.

So ... it's kinda like your version of Louisiana ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Quebec is weird.

2. How autonomous are the provinces? Is it akin to a state in the US? What I mean is - does federal law override provincial law?

1. Quebec is just different. I can't fully explain it, you have to have lived here, been there and experienced it. A good chunk of the province wants to separate. Their provincial laws ban English signs. Their civil law system is completely different from the rest of the country. Get the gyst here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_law

2. I am not a lawyer and don't fully understand how this all works. I probably should have a better grasp of our legal system given that my wife is a lawyer.

On a mostly unrelated note: The Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario's lawyer "college" for lack of a better term) is considering changing it's name. Currently it's initials are LSUC, which is fairly terrible. One of the options they are considering is Law Professionals of Ontario. Or LPOO. (They will try to call it LPO but everyone else will call it LPOO).

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quebec is also the perpetual "swing state" in Canadian politics. The parties generally split up the vote in the rest of the country but Quebec usually votes as a unit so if you get Quebec you win federally. Most of our prime ministers in the last 30-40 years have come from Quebec. They are the tail that wags the dog and people don't like that.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next