Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California's Travel Ban
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...tes-including-texas/
---
"a California law that took effect in January 2017 creates travel bans to states with laws California deems “discriminatory in regards to LGBT issues.” That ban list originally included Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee. But this week, California’s attorney general announced that four more states would join the list: Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas."

Nothing like fighting discrimination with discrimination. The new law, as written, might have a big impact on college sports teams as state employed college coaches would no longer be able to travel to those other states for competitions.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the Governor of California is not going to use state money to visit $Texas? I call bullshit.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't travel bans supposed to work the other way round? The banning entity stops people coming to it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Californians are banned to travel to these U.S. states? But I bet Saudi-Arabia, Iran, etc. are fine with Gov. Moonbeam?
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
So Californians are banned to travel to these U.S. states? But I bet Saudi-Arabia, Iran, etc. are fine with Gov. Moonbeam?

While I didn't read the article I've heard some news stories on this. It is not everybody and is for public officials (or such) only. Basically, if the state of CA is paying for your travel it won't cover or reimburse for travels to those listed other states. For politicians it is more clear cut but for college sports (they get state money too) what is supposed to happen? CA has some major schools that play teams across a good portion of the country (like another pointed out).

Carry on with the rest of the conversation though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I supposed to keep up with all this sh--?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this ban is the use of public monies for professional travel for state employees - CA is not the only governmental entity putting such a ban in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's symbolic. There are exceptions for anyone who actually needs to travel to those places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [Dirty Bottles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Bottles wrote:
Tennessee's response:

http://www.al.com/...t.html?ICID=ref_fark

Oh shit! Bustin' out the "whereases" They better be careful - we'll cut off their iPhones, Android/Google, and Facebag.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 29, 17 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [Dirty Bottles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to go to the ye olde timey machine but CA's ban could be constitutionally iffy in that it applies only to certain states
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

While I didn't read the article I've heard some news stories on this. It is not everybody and is for public officials (or such) only. Basically, if the state of CA is paying for your travel it won't cover or reimburse for travels to those listed other states. For politicians it is more clear cut but for college sports (they get state money too) what is supposed to happen? CA has some major schools that play teams across a good portion of the country (like another pointed out).

Carry on with the rest of the conversation though.

My understanding is that Fresno State's football team is the only affected college sports team with a currently-scheduled game in one of the banned states (it will be played this upcoming season). Fresno State is exempted from the ban for this one game because the game was scheduled prior to the ban's enactment (and backing out would have cost Fresno State a payday in the neighborhood of $1.4M, or some number like that).

I have no idea how things will work when a public school team earns a postseason berth for a game to be played in one of the banned states (like a bowl game). We shall see.

Another thing: I imagine private schools like USC and Stanford receive state funding for various programs. I have no idea if that fact will affect those teams under this ban. Or is the ban merely upon state-funded trips? Like, UCLA's boosters could pay for the travel to an away game in those states, but I just don't know any details of the ban so I have no idea how that works.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I would have to go to the ye olde timey machine but CA's ban could be constitutionally iffy in that it applies only to certain states

I was thinking along these same lines, but I cannot find a Constitutional Right infringed by this "ban."

It isn't really a "ban." One can still make the trip. But, CA taxpayer money will not be used for the trip. Cannot wait until a CA school has to forfeit a game/tourney/championship over this.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid posturing from a state that leads the way in stupid political charades. I don't agree with some of the things that have came out of the states deemed discriminatory, but what does California think their chest puffing will accomplish? It's the same kind of stupidity that led to the response and backlash in November with the stupid person we have sitting in the POTUS seat.

Tri-Banter wrote:
https://swimswam.com/...tes-including-texas/
---
"a California law that took effect in January 2017 creates travel bans to states with laws California deems “discriminatory in regards to LGBT issues.” That ban list originally included Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee. But this week, California’s attorney general announced that four more states would join the list: Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas."

Nothing like fighting discrimination with discrimination. The new law, as written, might have a big impact on college sports teams as state employed college coaches would no longer be able to travel to those other states for competitions.
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
So the Governor of California is not going to use state money to visit $Texas? I call bullshit.

Yep. It might be understandable in light of these facts. In 2015 about 550,000 people moved to Texas. 650,000 left California in the same year, with about 10% of those, and their jobs, going to Texas.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Stupid posturing from a state that leads the way in stupid political charades. I don't agree with some of the things that have came out of the states deemed discriminatory, but what does California think their chest puffing will accomplish? It's the same kind of stupidity that led to the response and backlash in November with the stupid person we have sitting in the POTUS seat

They are hoping to apply pressure to get them to change. This tactic has already had an impact in North Carolina where they amended tier original law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its very interesting how California believes its a "right" for immigrants from other countries to travel and immigrate to the US but its okay to ban travel to another state based on how those states have decided to govern themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travel from CA state government employees isn't going to be enough to compel an entirely different state to change their laws. The things that compelled NC to change were pressure from non-governmental entities such as performers and fans who said that they'd not perform or attend large events in the state, which applied a huge amount of private, public pressure and caused the state to take pause about concern for revenue. That's how it should be in our system of government, not a state government making the choice to make one-sided political statements against another state.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Jun 29, 17 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fair.
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because they are both called bans doesn't mean they are at all the same. One is a travel ban the other is a boycott of spending government money.
Quote Reply
Re: California's Travel Ban [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Stupid posturing from a state that leads the way in stupid political charades. I don't agree with some of the things that have came out of the states deemed discriminatory, but what does California think their chest puffing will accomplish? It's the same kind of stupidity that led to the response and backlash in November with the stupid person we have sitting in the POTUS seat

They are hoping to apply pressure to get them to change. This tactic has already had an impact in North Carolina where they amended tier original law.

Well, kinda. The NCAA's refusal to hold events in NC caused NC to roll back their "bathroom bill." So, yes, the tactic worked, but not when employed by another state.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply