Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some help - Police Patrol Bikes
Quote | Reply
All,

I am not sure if this is the best place to post, but I'm running out of some ideas. I have spoken to some of you individually, and I thank you for your responses. Here it is: I've recently come out of my last five-year assignment at our Police Department. Our new Chief stated that he wanted to send a couple of guys to a Police Patrol Officer Course. Mind you, like any agency, I was told that we have no money in the budget at this time to purchase equipment to include the two Police patrol bikes. I get it, this is normal, and I won't even dwell on the "I want this, but we don't have money for it, make it happen" request.

So my questions are this; Do we have any Officers here that are or have been assigned to a bike-patrol duty? If so, what do you recommend for equipment? Have you heard of any Departments giving away the old bikes/equipment to other agencies looking to start up a program?

CEO's, shop owners, you super wealthy SOB's that are looking for a tax write-off....Do you know of any grants or donation programs to small law enforcement agencies to start up a program?

From the couple of you I have spoken to I have compiled the information and have sent it to the Chief just so he can see what has been recommended thus far. I appreciate any and all advice provided. I apologize if this isn't the forum or place to post such a question. I also apologize for being such a lazy sh&t and not training or speaking with any of you in a long time.....damn kids and life got me good right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Need some help - Police Patrol Bikes [WannabSpeedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on where you live you find a someone (like a Trek) to donate a bike or two - - - in any case the patrol bikes I've seen are most basic and pretty cheap in any case
BTW, an officer friend of mine will on occasion ride a bike-patrol and the bike clearly is painted BIKE PATROL right on it and while he was writing up a ticket or something some punk hopped on it and took off - got away with it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw I googled donated bike patrol and came up with a bunch of links so don't bi buying any . . .

http://wnep.com/2017/04/18/patrol-bikes-donated-to-six-police-departments/
https://www.oswegopoliceil.org/bikepatrol.html
Quote Reply
Re: Need some help - Police Patrol Bikes [ZenosArrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, that sucks for your friend but is hilarious! Wait, he didn't have a "kill-switch" lanyard installed ;-)?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And thank you for the link!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a volunteer cop for my city. We used our own bikes which were a lot better than the city provided bikes. Not sure if you are looking at mountain vs. street but we had both kind of riders. It was a great program but a new regime killed the program. Good luck.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Govdeals.com frequently sells police bikes which are no longer needed. In some cases I think it is a PD closing down their bike patrol division. May not be of much help if the bikes in question are too far away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenosArrow wrote:
depending on where you live you find a someone (like a Trek) to donate a bike or two - - - in any case the patrol bikes I've seen are most basic and pretty cheap in any case
BTW, an officer friend of mine will on occasion ride a bike-patrol and the bike clearly is painted BIKE PATROL right on it and while he was writing up a ticket or something some punk hopped on it and took off - got away with it too.
I am busting up.

Quote | Reply
I'm am in charge of my departments bicycle patrol unit. We have several Fuji police specific bikes that we got about ten years ago. We are switching to Giant mountain bikes because we have a local shop that sells Giant and they give us a good deal on them. Giant does not make a police specific bike so we are buying basic mountain bikes and putting the accessories (rack, gear bag, lights, decals) on separately. I would check with your local bike shops and see what kind of deal, or donations, they can give you. It's great PR for the business. Our uniforms are black and white cycling jersey's (I can't remember the brand) with reflective "police" on the back and black Enduro mountain bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was on the bike patrol we had Cannondale bikes with the head shock. I think shocks are not needed and it was just another thing to maintain. Continental Town and Country tires were something I convinced our department to start using and were great.
Nylon webbed belts, pouches and holsters made a big difference over leather.
Most cops are idiots on bikes and break them, bend the rims, know nothing of maintenance so be prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you send my your email - PM - I will get you intouch with my good friend who is a Deputy Commander in our local force - he is an instructor with the International Police Mountain Bike Association - they are holding their annual conference now in Delaware

http://www.ipmba.org/

Hope this helps

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply