Prev Next
3 Attacks in London
Quote | Reply
London bridge, borough market and vauxhall

I am sure its a random coincidence
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody's probably gonna ask where Trump is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ugh - this is getting all too common. haven't seen any word of fatalities yet.

have to wonder if this timing is related to the election.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching the t.v coverage on CNN and there's just no way of knowing at this point if it's a terror attack and who could possibly be behind this.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can hear sirens. Lots of ambulances will be directed towards my house as i'm 300m from one of the larger london hospitals and a trauma center.

More than one dead apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 dead so far is the report..... The UK actually has more power to deal with this shit than the US they need to implement it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 sorry to see this. Manchester, now this. Your gmen are good, ours are good, but I don't see it being mostly put down till the vast majority of Muslims decide to become activists against radicalism in their religion.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I don't see it being mostly put down till the vast majority of Muslims decide to become activists against radicalism in their religion.

They have to do more than simply say "these terrorists have nothing to do with Islam" and move on. There has to be Muslims starting to cooperate with police and actively point to those spreading fundamentalism and to those who seem to have become radicalized.

My bet is that whoever did this was the following will come out.

a) He was known to police and likely being watched
b) Many will come forward to say how they saw him become radicalized
c) He attended a Mosque that preaches radical views

Just a wild guess though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
but I don't see it being mostly put down till the vast majority of Muslims decide to become activists against radicalism in their religion.

They have to do more than simply say "these terrorists have nothing to do with Islam" and move on. There has to be Muslims starting to cooperate with police and actively point to those spreading fundamentalism and to those who seem to have become radicalized.

What makes you so sure it was Muslim(s).
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes you so sure it was Muslim(s).

Since I haven't heard any confirmations yet I am guessing. I'm torn between this being carried out by either Buddhists or Muslims and I'm torn but going way out on a limb...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

And? I bet someone knew he had a vehicle too. What are they supposed to do? Arrest anyone with unpopular views who has a car?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

And? I bet someone knew he had a vehicle too. What are they supposed to do? Arrest anyone with unpopular views who has a car?

Unpopular views?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Not sure what this has to do with someone who has a car. I listed 3 items that have typically been discovered after the fact. In many cases, the police come forward to say they have been watching someone who returned from a country like Syria or Libya and that they were watching them. There are an estimated 23,000 people in the UK the police are currently watching, that is a problem.

Then, we will hear from friends or neighbors who will suddenly remember and share that he was quiet and recently changed his views, becoming more radical. At the same time, we typically find out that the Mosque he attends has a history of spreading radical views.

We could continue to ignore red flags and have the weekly terrorist attacks around the world, or find ways to prevent them and actually do something worthwhile. Right now, it seems we are being very reactive, too afraid to offend a religion instead of facing reality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snitches get stitches
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Unpopular views?

I agree with slowguy. There are a lot of people with radical views and intensified hatred who would not turn terrorist. We don't have thought police and we have free speech.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not sure what this has to do with someone who has a car.

The London Bridge attack was a guy in a van.

Quote:
...or find ways to prevent them and actually do something worthwhile.

So I ask you again. Do what? Even if this guy was known to law enforcement, known to have radical views, etc, what would you propose to do about him? He didn't build a bomb or buy guns or anything else that is criminal, up to the point at which he ran people over with his van. What do you propose we do to stop that and be less reactive?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Unpopular views?

Yes. Unpopular views. Views you and I might very well disagree with, but which are not illegal to hold.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: 3 Attacks in London [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Unpopular views?

I agree with slowguy. There are a lot of people with radical views and intensified hatred who would not turn terrorist. We don't have thought police and we have free speech.

This is for both you and Slowguy. I fundamentally disagree with the fact that inciting terrorist attacks is just advocating an unpopular view. There is a line. Whether it should be punished or silenced is a different discussion entirely, but to term it as an unpopular view is moronic IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
This is for both you and Slowguy. I fundamentally disagree with the fact that inciting terrorist attacks is just advocating an unpopular view. There is a line. Whether it should be punished or silenced is a different discussion entirely, but to term it as an unpopular view is moronic IMO.

Rarely, if ever, do guys who carry out attacks like this incite terrorist attacks. They are the sheep who carry out the attacks, not the ring leaders.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I ask you again. Do what? Even if this guy was known to law enforcement, known to have radical views, etc, what would you propose to do about him?

- find out which Mosque is preaching radical views and shut it down.
- if someone goes to a country like Syria and fights to join with ISIS, cancel their passport when they are out of the country.
- improve intelligence by working with Muslims to identify those at risk. If they are known by police and identified by others as holding extreme views, then you have to find a way to arrest them and if it is true, deport them.

There has to be far more pressure on the Muslim community. They can't be given a free pass when they withhold information from police.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Rarely, if ever, do guys who carry out attacks like this incite terrorist attacks. They are the sheep who carry out the attacks, not the ring leaders.

no shit. . . . My beef is with the "holy" men inciting this garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Neither slowguy nor I are talking about the people who do the inciting. We are both talking about those who carry out the attacks, who are known to frequent websites that promote the attacks, but have done nothing illegal until the attacks are carried out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So I ask you again. Do what? Even if this guy was known to law enforcement, known to have radical views, etc, what would you propose to do about him?

- find out which Mosque is preaching radical views and shut it down.
- if someone goes to a country like Syria and fights to join with ISIS, cancel their passport when they are out of the country.
- improve intelligence by working with Muslims to identify those at risk. If they are known by police and identified by others as holding extreme views, then you have to find a way to arrest them and if it is true, deport them.

There has to be far more pressure on the Muslim community. They can't be given a free pass when they withhold information from police.

As before, you're really just not much of a fan of actual freedom of thought or travel or many of the freedoms our country is built on.

Who do you propose gets to decide if a religious institution's ideas are radical enough to justify govt shutting them down? That couldn't possibly go wrong.

"Find a way to arrest them and ...deport them" because they hold extreme views? WTF?

Pretty sure Canada generally believes in free speech, religious practice, thought, etc more than this.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Neither slowguy nor I are talking about the people who do the inciting. We are both talking about those who carry out the attacks, who are known to frequent websites that promote the attacks, but have done nothing illegal until the attacks are carried out.

Technically they have broken the law when they've taken an affirmative action towards the crime. They should indict the radical preachers as co-conspirators
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Technically they have broken the law when they've taken an affirmative action towards the crime. They should indict the radical preachers as co-conspirators

No they haven't. If I plan a bank robbery, scope it out, obtain all the supplies, drive to the bank, then change my mind and do not follow through, I have committed no crime.

Quote Reply

Prev Next