Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can Obama be president again?
Quote | Reply
Non US so apologies if stupid question.

I know he couldn't stand for re-election as he was president for 8 years but can he stand again in the future?
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
No

Maybe in Kenya?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please no. Never again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to many Trump supporters Obama has been planning a coup to retake the White House.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Obama' is a state of mind, a state of peace and prosperity - with a tad of kicking the can down the road . . . as such, we'll have Obamas again I assure you
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he is still the Shadow President, so I hear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you referring to yourself or Obama?
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Well, he is still the Shadow President, so I hear

Things were more simple when the only shadows were made by black helicopters.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Are you referring to yourself or Obama?

both Kenyans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelle Obama could run!
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, now there's an idea...!
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no way she could be as crooked as Hillary.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
There's no way she could be as crooked as Hillary.

Yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:

I know he couldn't stand for re-election as he was president for 8 years but can he stand again in the future?

The 22nd amendment of our constitution states that nobody can be elected president more than twice so President Obama could not be elected to a 3rd term.

A question that comes up a lot is if a president who is elected twice can serve as vice president and potentially assume the presidency? The answer is no. Our 12th amendment requires that vice presidents be elegible of being elected president. So President Obama could not serve as vice president and assume the office due to presidential incapacity.

However, I don't believe there is anything preventing a former president from serving in the House of Representatives. If President Obama was elected to the House of Representatives and became Speaker of the House he could conceivably assume the presidency if both the president and vice president were incapacitated. Pretty long shot but stranger things have happened
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
Stumps wrote:

The 22nd amendment of our constitution states that nobody can be elected president more than twice so President Obama could not be elected to a 3rd term.

A question that comes up a lot is if a president who is elected twice can serve as vice president and potentially assume the presidency? The answer is no. Our 12th amendment requires that vice presidents be elegible of being elected president. So President Obama could not serve as vice president and assume the office due to presidential incapacity.

However, I don't believe there is anything preventing a former president from serving in the House of Representatives. If President Obama was elected to the House of Representatives and became Speaker of the House he could conceivably assume the presidency if both the president and vice president were incapacitated. Pretty long shot but stranger things have happened

the most common option i hear for him is a seat on the SCOTUS.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Hey, now there's an idea...!

Could you imagine? The wife of a former President running for President! PFFFFTTT....

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
Stumps wrote:

So a former president who served two terms can serve in a position that is in the line of succession?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
Stumps wrote:

Tell that to Gerald Ford ;)

Because the 22nd says "elected", I believe going from speaker to president would be valid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, I don't believe there is anything preventing a former president from serving in the House of Representatives. If President Obama was elected to the House of Representatives and became Speaker of the House he could conceivably assume the presidency if both the president and vice president were incapacitated. Pretty long shot but stranger things have happened.

I'm curious about that. It's my understanding that both Kissinger and Albright, as naturalized citizens, would not have been eligible to assume the office under the line of succession, even though both were technically fourth in line as secretaries of state.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
outerlimit wrote:
Stumps wrote:

the most common option i hear for him is a seat on the SCOTUS.

And give up those $400,000 engagements to lecture Fat Cat Bankers? Ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
outerlimit wrote:
Stumps wrote:

So a former president who served two terms can serve in a position that is in the line of succession?

Yes but could only serve 1 year and 364 days as president
Quote Reply
Re: Can Obama be president again? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
However, I don't believe there is anything preventing a former president from serving in the House of Representatives. If President Obama was elected to the House of Representatives and became Speaker of the House he could conceivably assume the presidency if both the president and vice president were incapacitated. Pretty long shot but stranger things have happened.

I'm curious about that. It's my understanding that both Kissinger and Albright, as naturalized citizens, would not have been eligible to assume the office under the line of succession, even though both were technically fourth in line as secretaries of state.

No the 12th makes them ineligible so everyone else moved up one slot

ETA nevermind the 12th is VP only
Last edited by: windywave: May 18, 17 11:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next