Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
If you want to talk about regressive taxes we need to look at taxes on alcohol and (most regressively) tobacco products. Those taxes are almost entirely paid for by lower income people (and those taxes are loved by the left, ironically).

Duffy wrote:
King Duffy would decree all fast food, booze, smokes, cookies, sweets, candy, "junk food"...basically any "processed food" (and I personally would like to see bread as part of that) would be taxed.

Pick one.

I think sin taxes are silly. I do, however, support things like a gas tax, or toll roads/bridges, so that those who are using infrastructure are paying for it.

As to my comment about regressive taxes: if you look at the effect of a sales tax, *as a percentage of their income*, the poorest are worse off. Why? They live paycheck to paycheck. Whereas someone wealthy tends to roll much of their incoming dollars back into investments.

Washington state exempts grocery food items from the sales tax which alleviates some of the burden, but overall I'd say a sales tax or VAT tends to favor the rich and hurt the poor.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As to my comment about regressive taxes: if you look at the effect of a sales tax, *as a percentage of their income*, the poorest are worse off.

So, what you are saying is that the poor, as a percentage of tax receipts, pay the least to get the same benefits (roads, police, fire, courts, etc), as the wealthy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
As to my comment about regressive taxes: if you look at the effect of a sales tax, *as a percentage of their income*, the poorest are worse off.

So, what you are saying is that the poor, as a percentage of tax receipts, pay the least to get the same benefits (roads, police, fire, courts, etc), as the wealthy.

QED we taxes on the poor should be raised according to eb
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Federal budget: $4T
Tax payers: 250 million

Everyone pays $16K

No deductions, loopholes, etc.

That way no one can complain about carrying someone else's load
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Federal budget: $4T
Tax payers: 250 million

Everyone pays $16K

No deductions, loopholes, etc.

That way no one can complain about carrying someone else's load

Done. Hell I'd pay double
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Um that's not what I said at all. But keep on misreading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Hahaha! You have a real ability to Make Shit Up.

Now explain to us how the poor "get the same benefits" as the wealthy from "roads, police, fire, courts, etc." Because they don't.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now explain to us how the poor "get the same benefits" as the wealthy from "roads, police, fire, courts, etc." Because they don't.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the police and fire departments don't respond to poor neighborhoods, and the poor aren't allowed to drive on public roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
windywave wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Well because they pay less in taxes that means your taxes are higher (See your MID position for reference) therefore they should pay more in taxes especially because they use things your higher taxes pay for, you heartless monster you .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the police and fire departments don't respond to poor neighborhoods, and the poor aren't allowed to drive on public roads.

Being allowed to do something is different than being able to do it. Those without cars tend to drive less.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Being allowed to do something is different than being able to do it. Those without cars tend to drive less.

So what? People with (good) jobs tend to use food stamps less. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Your reduction ad absurdum ignores the reality that emergency services really do respond differently in poor neighborhoods (sometimes for legitimate reasons).

And it ignores the reality that a cracker like me who lives on a dirt road really does not benefit from the Interstate Highway System as much as say, my sister who around her city drives 10-20,000 miles a year on those interstates.

The wealthy have more skin in the game. They pay more for basic services, and they generally benefit more. Is that a surprise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
eb wrote:
windywave wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Well because they pay less in taxes that means your taxes are higher (See your MID position for reference) therefore they should pay more in taxes especially because they use things your higher taxes pay for, you heartless monster you .

Logic fail. And I'm not completely heartless; I'm a very caring monster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your reduction ad absurdum ignores the reality that emergency services really do respond differently in poor neighborhoods (sometimes for legitimate reasons).
And it ignores the reality that a cracker like me who lives on a dirt road really does not benefit from the Interstate Highway System as much as say, my sister who around her city drives 10-20,000 miles a year on those interstates.

Detroit Public Schools vs Birmingham Public Schools
Number of Students: 42,580.42 / 7,423.81
Local Revenue per student: $3,812.01 / $9,964.35
State Revenue per student: $10,116.00 / $8,190.93
Federal Revenue per student: $4,649.30 / $113.71

So, the poor DPS district receives over half it's funding from the state, and a quarter from the feds, while the rich district received about 45% from the state and nearly nothing from the feds and about 55% from local.

So, how are the poor not receiving public services?
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
not to the municipality.

Sure it does. Property taxes on a 100 unit apartment complex are less than on 100 individual houses.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Detroit Public Schools vs Birmingham Public Schools
Number of Students: 42,580.42 / 7,423.81
Local Revenue per student: $3,812.01 / $9,964.35
State Revenue per student: $10,116.00 / $8,190.93
Federal Revenue per student: $4,649.30 / $113.71

So, the poor DPS district receives over half it's funding from the state, and a quarter from the feds, while the rich district received about 45% from the state and nearly nothing from the feds and about 55% from local.

So, how are the poor not receiving public services?

Funny, I don't recall education funding being part of the discussion. It certainly wasn't me who brought it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pointing out how the poor, get a lot bigger bang for their tax buck in education.
Quote Reply

Prev Next