Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, the economy is so robust every time the Fed talks about increasing rates a half a percent its like the end of the world. It has to be unwound slowly but why are they so afraid of even starting. Could it be gov't debt is bigger problem if you can't borrow at super low rates.?

oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

So true. And as far as I am concerned the problem with home affordability is the stupid low interest rates we have had for about forever now to prop up crummy economies.

And on the flip side, cheering for really affordable housing via policies that would cause a housing collapse is hardly a step forward. The economy is hardly "crummy", no matter how emphatically whiners on this board pound their chests. The MID could certainly be unwound (as could many policies), but virtually every market in the world is primed and limited by free market forces and government policies. Unwinding long-standing policies that have driven investment for decades requires more impartial judgment.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't tax cap gains, it creates an enormous loophole for business owners avoid paying taxes on income. instead of a salary, get paid in shares, which the company immedately repurchases from the individual back into treasury. That's a cap gain - but you want all cap gains to be tax free.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
if you don't tax cap gains, it creates an enormous loophole for business owners avoid paying taxes on income. instead of a salary, get paid in shares, which the company immedately repurchases from the individual back into treasury. That's a cap gain - but you want all cap gains to be tax free.

So close the loophole.

I'm not actually advocating zero taxes on capital gains, but I think our present policy is too onerous. It's why all these IRA loopholes and rollovers exist, tax avoidance. Do away with all that shit, tax gains at a certain rate and be done with it. If you're 20 and want to spend some of your investment gains great, 15% is sent to the government. If you're 80 same idea. The second you add a qualifier about age is when you need the compliance and regulatory arm, which isn't just the IRS, it's every single person needing to know (or have a professional who knows) what the law says. it all costs money, get rid of it.
Last edited by: Brownie28: May 16, 17 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ok, but when these issues come up and we conservatives say 'see how much compliance costs? See the cost of the regulatory burden? See the unintended consequences?', the argument against is always 'it'll hurt poor people'.

Not from me. Unwinding the MID would have short-term impact on the upper-end housing market, and would REALLY hurt charities, esp. churches (due to tax treatment on charitable donations). The argument on this board is almost all from conservatives, and it is "it'll hurt me". That said, unwinding the MID (carfully) is probably good policy. (BTW, it should be noted that I arguably live in the most inflated housing market in the country, and work for a church).

Quote:
Except the market is already fucked up because of policy intended to help poor people.

Now you're just whining. Go hug a puppy.

Quote:
So this is why I'll never support these government efforts to 'help the poor'. They don't work,

... and doing nothing doesn't work too well either. History is full of revolutions caused primarily by folks refusing to do anything to help alleviate poverty.

Quote:
and everyone else suffers because of it.

How horrible is your life, really, at this moment in history? There are real life issues and inequalities and problems, but don't you think that's a bit much?
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
the tax exemption on cap gains on principal residence is a good thing IMO, because it allows you to keep your money and roll it into your next home when you sell, even if you don't immediately purchase a new home. Otherwise, the tax bill on selling a house would be ginormous.

You can exempt 250,000 (500,000 if married filing jointly) in capital gains growth every single time you sell a house. It didn't used to be that way, it used to be you could only do it once-in-a-lifetime.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I really don't understand how any fiscal conservative can support the MID other than blatant self-interest.

Let me give it a try (where's that darn FC hat?):

If you are a fiscal conservative who thinks that the progressive tax code is far too skewed, almost any policy which reduces the tax burden at the high end is better than none at all. If you are a pro-economic growth conservative, a sustainable policy which results in higher real estate valuations would be good. That is what the MID presently does. Removing the MID would cause short-term economic dislocation, and misallocation of investments, and a fiscal conservative would prefer a less volatile investment environment. A fiscal conservative (and a savvy liberal) normally just accepts the rules as they exist, and adjusts their investments accordingly to take advantage of policies, rather than bellyache.

BTW, JSA is right that home ownership, like marriage, often leads to an entire set of economically "virtuous" behaviors which help teh economy and society as a whole (saving every month, holding a job for decades, staying married, spending on "stuff", etc.). That isn't a case for the MID, but it is a general argument in favor of home ownership.

Your first paragraph boils down to blatant self-interest, doesn't it? You're basically saying that a bad policy is good if it partially offsets another bad policy. Wouldn't it be better to (gradually) eliminate both bad policies, thus eliminating artificial market forces, and freeing up thousands of accountants to do more useful work?

As for the second paragraph, I'm not convinced that home ownership leads to virtuous behavior, especially if that home ownership is triggered by something as tawdry as the MID. I think the converse is far more likely: that virtuous behavior leads to home ownership.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Holy shit! It doesn't "cost" you a fucking thing! It is MY money - not yours, not the government's. "Allowing" a taxpayer to keep more of his/her own money is not a government subsidy. To think otherwise evinces a level of ignorance and/or brainwashing that needs to be eradicated.

Well, if my taxes are higher that yours because you get the MID and I don't, then the MID sure as hell does cost me. Blatant self-interest has apparently brainwashed you quite effectively.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Your first paragraph boils down to blatant self-interest, doesn't it?

No it doesn't. Lots of conservatives who don't benefit from the MID support it as a way to lower actual taxes. You aren't even addressing the positive economic impacts of higher real estate valuations. A less volatile investment environment is good economics, if you want to call it self-interest, then isn't this an indictment of capitalism in general? I put it to you - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!!

Quote:

As for the second paragraph, I'm not convinced that home ownership leads to virtuous behavior, especially if that home ownership is triggered by something as tawdry as the MID.

We'll agree to disagree. Dear God, the MID is too tawdry, really? Pardon me while I check out my tawdry 401K plan! Then, I'll default on my mortgage, because the entire enterprise has been sullied.... Damn, I need a shower.
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 16, 17 10:52
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAR will swat this out of the park like a Reggie Jackson home run.

Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
eb wrote:
JSA wrote:

Holy shit! It doesn't "cost" you a fucking thing! It is MY money - not yours, not the government's. "Allowing" a taxpayer to keep more of his/her own money is not a government subsidy. To think otherwise evinces a level of ignorance and/or brainwashing that needs to be eradicated.

Well, if my taxes are higher that yours because you get the MID and I don't, then the MID sure as hell does cost me. Blatant self-interest has apparently brainwashed you quite effectively.

This is an incredibly sad mentality.

It's rooted in pure envy.

Getting rid of MID won't lower your taxes, it'll only raise the taxes of those who pay mortgage interest.

A tax increase on my neighbors has never helped me in any way and even if it did, i have no right to my neighbor's money in the first place.

So you've never benefited from services provided by the taxes your neighbors paid? Right.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1. Property taxes to the municipality."

------------------------
owners of real property leased to third parties pay real property taxes too.
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

And throw the various homebuilding and roadbuilding lobbying orgs into the mix too. Although this is a fine idea, it's going nowhere, even on the margins.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And throw the various homebuilding and roadbuilding lobbying orgs into the mix too. Although this is a fine idea, it's going nowhere, even on the margins.

And churches. The hit to charities would be even larger than the hit to the real estate industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

And churches. The hit to charities would be even larger than the hit to the real estate industry.

Because you think the charitable deduction would be eliminated in conjunction with the mortgage interest deduction, or is there some aspect of the MID that benefits churches that I'm not aware of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Because you think the charitable deduction would be eliminated in conjunction with the mortgage interest deduction, or is there some aspect of the MID that benefits churches that I'm not aware of?

I don't get this one either. Aren't most churches tax-exempt?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
JSA wrote:

This is a logic fail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mr. mike wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I don't get this one either. Aren't most churches tax-exempt?

Yes .... I'm really torn on it since a lot of these newer congregations are just tax dodges but elimination would harm the churches that actually do charity
Quote Reply
Re: The Shame of the Mortgage Interest Deduction [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how? They don't pay taxes as it is, so eliminating the MID means nothing to the church.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
how? They don't pay taxes as it is, so eliminating the MID means nothing to the church.

I thought he was talking about charitable deductions for donating to churches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X1 to that. The only change I can see is if the MID is eliminated people have less money to spend and they give less to their church. Maybe in the short term but long term I don't see it being that way.

JasoninHalifax wrote:

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

No, it is because the top 10% tend to itemize deductions, only because of the MID. the MID (and property tax) make up the bulk of their deductions. THEN, their major charitable donations are fully deductible. I may only have 10K that I can afford to donate to causes this year, but I can donate 15K if I am itemizing deductions (and save 5K on taxes). Lose the MID, and hardly anybody would be able to itemize and write off their donations. The itemized deduction is the linchpin for fundraising for charities. People really need to understand that, to fully appreciate how difficult full removal of the MID would be. It would create a short-term blip in the housing market, but would reduce charitable revenue by at least 20% long-term.

Read this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/...tion-changes-2016-12
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 16, 17 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow now. charitable deduction would be used less because without the MID there is less itemization in general. Makes some sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

No, it is because the top 10% tend to itemize deductions, only because of the MID. the MID (and property tax) make up the bulk of their deductions. THEN, their major charitable donations are fully deductible. I may only have 10K that I can afford to donate to causes this year, but I can donate 15K if I am itemizing deductions (and save 5K on taxes). Lose the MID, and hardly anybody would be able to itemize and write off their donations. The itemized deduction is the linchpin for fundraising for charities. People really need to understand that, to fully appreciate how difficult full removal of the MID would be. It would create a short-term blip in the housing market, but would reduce charitable revenue by at least 20% long-term.

Read this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/...tion-changes-2016-12

I'll just take that as evidence that your tax code is even more fucked than ours is.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next