Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [Team Schwinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drag bars are sweet. I *love* the way they look on the Forty Eight, but the riding position would be so slammed it couldn't possibly be comfortable for longer than a few miles, if at all. Looks like you have a healthy rise from seat to bar mount level on the 883, so changing to drag bars would probably bring you down to the position that the Forty Eight comes with stock, which feels exactly right.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, with the mid mounted controls, I have a little room to change the bars and not compromise the actual riding position all that much. As it is set up now, slouching (AKA riding cool) isn't that efficient because of the bars, it requires sitting up a bit more. I've started looking, I think I have 2 or 4 inch rise stock, which from what I've seen, is more than enough, even with flipped mirrors. Also looks to be a shade tree mechanic project...which are my favorites. I also need the air cleaner upgraded...and according to my daughter, a mean skull on my helmet...because then I'll be a real outlaw. Shes so damn cute.

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in a late afternoon/early evening ride today up to Mt. Charleston...[/img][/img]

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [Team Schwinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the 2016 Irons? Sweet baby Jesus is right. Love the charcoal and olive schemes. Really nice seat upgrade as well.

Picked up a custom plate last week. I'm sure the paramedics will appreciate the irony ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Have you seen the 2016 Irons? Sweet baby Jesus is right. Love the charcoal and olive schemes. Really nice seat upgrade as well.

Picked up a custom plate last week. I'm sure the paramedics will appreciate the irony ;)

So clever! Love the plate. Any issue with it being sideways?
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems so far. The law in Virginia only says it must be clearly displayed and unaltered. I keep a copy of the statute in my saddle bag in case there's any confusion, which I've heard there is from time to time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. Snapped the throttle cable. No doubt the repair comes out of pocket since I replaced the grips a few months back. Ugh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's no fun! How common is that type of failure? I've never really thought about breaking down while riding...interesting.

I went on my first poker run this weekend...had a great time. Rode with an MC...hit 5 biker bars...it was an experience!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not that common, unless the cable was being torqued at the point where the lead shot is attached (if you've ever disassembled the shifters on a bicycle, you know what I'm talking about). Given that I changed grips and reinstalled the cable, I have no doubt they'll tag me for liability even though it's covered by an extended warranty.

No tools would fix this problem, though I had to borrow a Torx driver to open the housing to discern the problem. I have a small kit that I keep in my saddle bag but not a Torx set. That should be on your bike at all times, really.

Scary as shit having your throttle go dead while riding in three lane traffic at 60mph, though. Fortunately it was a secondary road and not the interstate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding weather is just around the corner in these parts. Been out lately?

I've got a few things in the works with the 48. Replacing the stock foot pegs with a set of Arlen Ness to match the grips and shifter peg, new low profile Arlen Ness mirrors, and a new set of Progressive 412 shocks arriving tomorrow. New bare bones Burly Brat diamond stitched seat to replace the somewhat oversized for the frame HD model I put on last year; hopefully the new shocks will offset the substantial loss of cushioning. Raised the tank 1.5", but haven't relocated the ignition yet.

The most intimidating project remaining is frame and fender modification. I removed the rear fender and fairings, lights, and license plate frame, and plan on cutting the frame struts back to just behind the shock mounts, and cutting the rear fender to shorten the length. LEDs will bolt on just aft of the shock mounts. If it doesn't turn out well I might just leave it off, or replace it with an aftermarket bobber fender. I've never done metal work, but from what I've seen on youtube it doesn't look overly complicated.

Wish me luck...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's going to look rad. My Dad was in the same boat a few years ago and the finished product was well worth the learning curve and effort. Keep us updated with pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a rad project - good riding weather has been back for a month or better here in Vegas. Since I got the bike in 2015, Ive put almost 17k miles on it - and made a move from the cafe racer style to CA club style - more upright, higher performance as well. Even started doing some stunting with it :)

Performance wise:

S&S 1200 Hooligan Kit with Cams
Thrashin Supply Co. 2-1 Pipe
Re-mapped ECM (74 Ft/Lbs TQ currently)
RSD Seat (looking to switch up to a Saddlemen)
8.5" Risers
Crash Bars all around

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, dude. Can't say I've seen one of those on one wheel. Yikes. What prompted the chain drive upgrade? I was considering that, but only of necessity for a fatter rear tire, since the belt drive setup can only accommodate up to certain widths.

How's the feel with the new bars? I'm trying to decide on whether to keep my stock setup or switch to Biltwell Keystones.

The best mod you can make is adding k's to the speedo, which you've done a far better job of than I. Well done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I couldnt be happier. After going to a big moto campout last year, I was really taken with bikes that seemed more all around. That started a shift towards a more upright position and a set of Biltwell Friscos. Then after learning to surf the bike (personal goal) I started looking at some of the guys (and girls) pushing the limits on Harley stunts. I'm no where near their skill nor am I open to taking the chances needed to master some of the tricks but i really lied the idea of a fast, all around bike that could also pull off a few tricks. That set me on the club style route - and also pushed me in the chain direction so I could go to a larger (but still streetable) 55t rear sprocket. Zippers Performance sell a kit for Sporty's at a really good price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a good 7-8 hours this weekend, but it turned out nicely. Frame and fender chopped and repainted, belt guard removed, lights relocated, plate relocated from rear fender to axle, new shocks, new seat, new foot pegs.

Before:

After:

The metal work wasn't as challenging as I had expected, though the finish on the cut fender isn't exactly professional grade. Angle grinder and Dremmel is all that was needed. Cutting into the frame of a $13k machine isn't the easiest leap to take, but once you start hacking away it's just a ton of fun.

I'm jonesing for a custom paint job now, but the current scheme goes pretty damn good with the current setup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! Subtle touches like that fender can really give a bike a very different feel. Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It was a ton of fun, and long overdue. The rear fender has a few nicks and scratches, so I'm thinking of spraying it to match the gunmetal grey metallic tank instead of stripping and painting the tank, which would run upwards of $400. Every Forty Eight in the country ships with a black fender, so that would set it off from the pack.

I remember helping my dad work on his '56 panhead when I was a kid. Brings back good memories.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question re: handlebar swap. The new bars are too high by a half inch for the current front brake line (disconnected in the photo), and I can't seem to find a replacement on JPCycles or any of the other suppliers. I'm guessing you had to replace yours with those frisco bars, and if so, where'd you find the line?

Edit: Gah, never mind. My ABS system requires replacement of the entire line system, since the connections aren't detachable. So the $120 bars required a set of $60 handlebar risers and $90 brake line set.

Good thing that tree in the background grows money. Ugh.

Last edited by: sphere: Apr 5, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I put on my Frisco bars last year - I was able to do so without changing out any lines - it was tight - and it required removing some of the brake line holders (along the triple tree if I remember correctly) and making more of a straightline run from lever to caliper - but it all worked just fine

When I went to the taller risers and tracker bar (10" total height) I did replace the clutch and brake lines with Magnum lines

https://www.magnumshielding.com/

They have a a lot of options - I went with Copper but will eventually replace them with Black ones (don't love the copper and its been hard to match any other parts sadly)

I did both myself including the measurement - went a little too long unfortunately. As of yet, i still havent had to replace the throttle cables

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought this

15 months old. 22% offf msrp and only 609 miles
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats awesome! How's it ride?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know what you are doing (i don't) the suspension is apparently diabolical.

I've bought engine guard, crash bars, panniers, soft bags and scottoiler and i'm looking for a taller screen and supplementary fuel tank.

Once i've run it in to the ground i will replace the internals on front and rear with something

I rode 300-350k round mountain roads and b roads and some highway

Highway with small screen is physical. Mountain roads and hairpins for someone who'd been off a road bike for 6 years were exciting but for going between 40 and 70 up windy roads it was amazing.

I think its 84hp. So its pretty good out the gate. It looks the dogs bollocks in my driveway
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started with a 650 bike when i got back into motorcycling--a KLR (no i did not have a milk crate) but I am just too big for a 650cc bike once i pile on all my camping and fly fishing gear. This is why i went with a used 1150GS cause its got the omph to haul my fat ass and all my camping and fly fishing gear, cruise comfortably at highway speeds with escape velocity/power in reserve, and get me down forest service roads and trails to the camping/fishing spots i am headed to.

i love those 650 BMW GS's and wish you the best of luck on yours. One of the best things I did to improve my ride was to alter the suspension by putting custom shocks on the moto. After a bunch of research i discarded the idea of the most popular aftermarket shocks (Ohlins & Wilbur) and went with Hyperpro. Klaus at Hyperpro USA is the Man! Had shocks with custom progressive springs and external reservoirs built for me. Much nicer ride once i installed them---like a night and day difference.

Also. I was getting head buffeting at highway speeds but instead of a taller windscreen i went with a winglet that attaches to the top of my stock windscreen i got from either Tourtech or Beemerboneyard.

http://hyperpro.com/shocks/

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: New Motorcycle - Sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus... [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ta

Its an 800 - bit more ooph than the 650

I have seen hyper pro write ups on adv
Quote Reply

Prev Next