Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees
Quote | Reply
When I get something shipped in from the States to Canada by UPS I get slapped with brokerage fees of 50-60. For a high value item its okay but for something in the hundreds of dollars vs. thousands it is not worth it. Besides having friends in the states forward the stuff to me anybody have better approach? Post office says it has lower fees has anyone tried that. Supplies don't seem to keen to send via post office.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy Canadian?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell them to ship via the post office and declare a low value.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

The term for that is fraud.

Shipping via the po works, fees are minimal. Use FedEx instead of UPS since FedEx doesn't stupid charge like that had in the past.

Again, ask others to commit fraud for your own personal gain, pretty sure that because it's crossing an international border makes it a federal crime. And I'm pretty sure you don't want that showing up on your resume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's this brokerage fee? Is it just a mark up for a "broker" to do something? The way others are talking it sounds like a tariff
Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He talking about customs brokerage fees. The other guy is telling him to have the seller lie about the contents values to avoid paying fees based on the percentage of value of the item. Of course the problem with that is that it's fraud, plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you follow the rules use USPS and declare the actual value. If you're "amoral" do the other thing and be scorned by the righteous!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [mdeth1313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're "amoral" do the other thing and be scorned by the righteous!

You can define amoral any way you want but it's still illegal.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is. Wasn't arguing that point.

Sanuk wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: How do you avoid excessive brokeage fees [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I'd say it's less of a 'crime' than the wealthy folk avoiding tax through numerous loop holes that fellow wealthy folk decriminalised to also enjoy. But alas the law disagrees. Funny that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree rusty I would never ask someone to commit fraud on my behalf when people ask me to do that my reply is "That would be fraud" Seeing if the supplier will try post office. Maybe will try fedex. The amount UPS charges is too much for the small amount of work. I try to buy in country as much as I can.

racin_rusty wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

The term for that is fraud.

Shipping via the po works, fees are minimal. Use FedEx instead of UPS since FedEx doesn't stupid charge like that had in the past.

Again, ask others to commit fraud for your own personal gain, pretty sure that because it's crossing an international border makes it a federal crime. And I'm pretty sure you don't want that showing up on your resume.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdeth1313 wrote:
Yes it is. Wasn't arguing that point.

Sanuk wrote:

You obviously don't understand the potential ramifications of intentionally misleading the Canadian & US border gestapo. Why risk having shit go sideways over a few bucks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still not trying to refute anything you guys have said. Each person has their own risk/reward tolerances. I'm not judging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You are on a mission!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, one should never engage in conversations with people too stubborn to learn and can't even figure how to hot link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again, wasn't trying. Not biting. But keep going, it's entertaining.

FYI - never once engaged in the illegal activity being discussed, just commented on it. Still not judging. Still don't care. I didn't do it, never took part in it so I have nothing to worry about. Didn't feel like hot-linking, just wanted to see if you'd actually look at it.

Why is this conversation still going on? Tell you what, I'll give up. You win. It's wrong. It's so, so wrong and I'm so sorry for not judging those who engage in the practice. Let's hope the sympathizer police don't come to get me!

Obviously you didn't take the advice of the song.
Last edited by: mdeth1313: Mar 11, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would I? You're being a dick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Richard. Is you last name Head?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a guy that says he's not biting my bait you sure are a hungry one. You're the one that called someone holier than thou for pointing out that the advice given was a crime, and not a minor one at that. That either makes you stupid or a prick, take your pick. Got that Richard? No? Didn't think so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just figure it out before hand and see if it's worth it:

https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=6405909000

I wanted to get one of those cool Alan Bikeboxes from the UK. After checking all the import fees here to MI (about 45%) it ended up being more expensive than buying another case here in the US, so I just dropped the idea.

The idea of asking "a lower value" might end up bad. Some items don't pay any fees (like getting a camera lens).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
For a guy that says he's not biting my bait you sure are a hungry one. You're the one that called someone holier than thou for pointing out that the advice given was a crime, and not a minor one at that. That either makes you stupid or a prick, take your pick. Got that Richard? No? Didn't think so.

This was fun, now it's getting stupid. I'll take whatever road is left and leave it here. Keep judging!
Quote Reply