Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My father paid for my Ivy League education with money that he made designing coal burning power plants.
He was supposedly an expert in the field.
But even he had no idea how much available natural gas existed.
His last 3 power plants have all been converted and are all burning natural gas.

No one is to blame.
The future is uncertain.
Industries and individuals have to adapt.

I am not necessarily against welfare or government subsidies.

But if Solar power was a bad bet, why on earth would we believe that another round of government support for coal will do better?
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Original point of the thread was whether or not we should be concerned with the job losses associated with the end of the coal industry, and whether or not it's worth protecting them while we can.

Secondarily, people brought up the fact that whether or not coal is dying or should die because it's bad for the environment, we actually rely on coal for a large chunk of our energy needs, and if we stop mining coal, we'll have to replace it with something. The alternatives all have their own drawbacks. Natural gas and nuclear power come with their own environmental problems, and renewable sources don't appear capable of filling the gap yet.

thanks for that. Apparently I got flustered and lost the ability to track what different people were saying to me. That being the case I don't know how I could be expected to remember the point of the thread I had chosen to participate in.........
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
My father paid for my Ivy League education with money that he made designing coal burning power plants.
He was supposedly an expert in the field.
But even he had no idea how much available natural gas existed.
His last 3 power plants have all been converted and are all burning natural gas.

No one is to blame.
The future is uncertain.
Industries and individuals have to adapt.

I am not necessarily against welfare or government subsidies.

But if Solar power was a bad bet, why on earth would we believe that another round of government support for coal will do better?

can you help me with what govt support has been proposed for coal. Is it monetary or regulatory? or none at all (yet). because we cant speculate on what might happen only what has happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was mainly giving ironmayb shit for trolling
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure windy has been drinking. lol

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
Thanks, I was mainly giving ironmayb shit for trolling

I was off work today. Needed some form of entertainment
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krugman just covered this:

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/coal-is-a-state-of-mind/?_r=0

Two things that I think he missed: mining is a man's job. Two, mining doesn't require education. So the nostalgia for coal is, in part, for the days when an uneducated dude could make a decent living. Trump wouldn't last five minutes in a coal mine.

“Read the transcript.”
Last edited by: sslothrop: Mar 3, 17 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I've been drinking. Don't know how I got you mixed up with windywave. Maybe you both sound drunk.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Maybe I've been drinking. Don't know how I got you mixed up with windywave. Maybe you both sound drunk.

I quit drinking 10 years ago but sounding like it is entirely possible. I did spend more time in this forum today than I usually do in a month combined. I have the feeling this will have the same effect on anyone who spends much time here.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That at least covers the point I was making in the OP. Out of all the places where we are losing jobs, why the focus on coal? Not certain if the article is 100% correct, but it makes some good points. I think Vitus makes some good points as well.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Out of all the places where we are losing jobs, why the focus on coal?

Votes.

And not just coal industry worker votes. It's symbolic for a lot of people.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Votes.

Meanwhile tourism is drying up in the US because of The Orange Julius Caesar. When those jobs start to go away will the right give a shit? Nope. Not a chance.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tourism is booming in my town.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Krugman just covered this:

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/coal-is-a-state-of-mind/?_r=0

Two things that I think he missed: mining is a man's job. Two, mining doesn't require education. So the nostalgia for coal is, in part, for the days when an uneducated dude could make a decent living. Trump wouldn't last five minutes in a coal mine.

I really don't think uneducated is a proper term, I know of 2 degree bearing geologists that are not employed in their field of study. One of them is most certainly uneducated when it comes to his newly chosen profession.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Your n=1 is irrelevant. And likely untrue.

https://www.google.ca/...avel/%3Fsource%3Ddam

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Votes.

j

That answer was already provided in the first thread. It's part of why a second thread about "who cares" was started
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Votes.

j

That answer was already provided in the first thread. It's part of why a second thread about "who cares" was started

So that answer was so sufficient that another thread had to be started to arrive in the same place?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Your n=1 is irrelevant. And likely untrue.

https://www.google.ca/...avel/%3Fsource%3Ddam

We've had big uptick here. Mostly Chinese, but the usual Germans, snow birds and weekenders.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Votes.

j

So that answer was so sufficient that another thread had to be started to arrive in the same place?

That question is irrelevant. And likely untrue

Cmon man there's got to be something bad happening for the US. I'm so invested in it.

Quite a pivot from coal to tourism. I wonder where we go next
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Not really....actually not at all.

I didn't read most of the posts in that thread, so if there was a really good answer in there, I may have missed it.

I started the new thread because I thought my point about the almost insignificant size of the coal industry would have been lost in that thread (rightly or wrongly).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

Not really....actually not at all.

I didn't read most of the posts in that thread, so if there was a really good answer in there, I may have missed it.

I started the new thread because I thought my point about the almost insignificant size of the coal industry would have been lost in that thread (rightly or wrongly).[/quote

Fair enough

I made the point that coal and rust jobs may be insignificant

Unless you are trying to win a national election

I would make it again to you as I know you we touched on the electoral college

I would also challenge you re: the confident position you took about how the 2 parties view and are viewed by labor/unions. I think you are still right about unionized labor but not labor as a whole. It is another area of concern or should be for Ds

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Coal is an antique, or soon will be. Get over it.

Antiques are worth a lot of money, more than the IKEA of industries promoted by the former Administration.

You are REALLY off your game tonight!

I sure am. Consider that Trump is promoting a dinosaur while China has already committed a 360 billion dollar budget (almost three times their annual military budget) for renewable energy research/development by 2020. What is your president contributing towards this? Guess who could likely surpass the the USA in clean energy technology in the near future.

https://www.nytimes.com/...investment.html?_r=0
And the US is second, currently, in renewable research spending. What's your point? Guess what we also spend money on? EPA regulations that are killing the coal industry, hence the list of bankruptcies you posted that you somehow believe supports your argument.

No one is saying coal is the answer. Coal is an unfortunate reality in the short term and Obama's EPA did all they could to wipe that industry out, killing thousands of jobs in the process. What's wrong with allowing the industry to continue to provide low-cost energy in the short-term while renewables catch up and eventually take over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would also challenge you re: the confident position you took about how the 2 parties view and are viewed by labor/unions. I think you are still right about unionized labor but not labor as a whole. It is another area of concern or should be for Ds

Are you suggesting the the Rs are more pro labor than I think? Or that the Ds are less pro labor?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we've moved past those easy categorizations. They don't apply anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

Are you suggesting the the Rs are more pro labor than I think? Or that the Ds are less pro labor?

I think it has more to do with whether labor and/or organized labor identifies in lock step with a party vs historical. And I think the previous admin with war on coal etc turned labor off more to D than previous admins

Just my opinion. It could be wrong but I think if I was party leadership I would be spending more time on that than on trump
Quote Reply

Prev Next