Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Coal is an antique, or soon will be. Get over it.

Antiques are worth a lot of money, more than the IKEA of industries promoted by the former Administration.

You are REALLY off your game tonight![/quote}

I sure am. Consider that Trump is promoting a dinosaur while China has already committed a 360 billion dollar budget (almost three times their annual military budget) for renewable energy research/development by 2020. What is your president contributing towards this? Guess who could likely surpass the the USA in clean energy technology in the near future.https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/world/asia/china-renewable-energy-investment.html?_r=0[/quote[/url]]

What is Canada doing for renewable energy research/development by 2020. What is the Canadian plan to develop renewable energy? Nuclear?
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or to not realize that it is an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Or to not realize that it is an issue.

Funny, NPR doesn't see a problem.

http://www.npr.org/...trump-policy-outlook

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Uhm ... yeah ... because Obama promised to put them out of business!

That's the point, genius!!!

Wow.

Weird thought...
Could it be that low energy prices (especially natural gas) was the cause of both the coal AND the green energy bankruptcies?

Of course, coal companies go bankrupt every 20 years without or without competition from natural gas or clean energy.

Or it could be the former President who promised to put them out of business ...

Yeah.
Economics are irrelevant.
Its all about what Trump and Obama say.

Do you now know what Obama did to the coal industry??? Really???

Ho-ly shit ...

Obama's a bastard.
First he discovered a ton of natural gas.
Then he developed the technology to extract it.
Then he donated all the natural gas and the technologies to private companies controlled by republican Texas oilmen.
All because he wanted to bankrupt the coal companies for the 17th time in the last hundred years.

Powerful and evil.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW! We may have found a replacement for YaHey!!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

we're already behind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how much Canada plans to rely on coal for the foreseeable future.
  • Coal is a large part of the global energy mix and represents about 29 per cent of global primary energy demandFootnote 86. Coal has met nearly half of the world’s energy demand growth over the past decade, almost all of which was attributable to rising demand from ChinaFootnote 87. Power generation accounts for two-thirds of coal consumption worldwide, with the remainder mainly used for steel manufacturing.
  • Global coal prices have been declining since their 2011 peaks, mainly due to increased supply from the build-up in global production capacity that mostly occurred in AustraliaFootnote 88 as well as competition from shale gas as a fuel for the North American power market.
  • Canada has about 6.6 billion tonnes of proven recoverable coal reserves, or 96 years of production at the current production rate. The great majority of Canadian coal resources are located in western Canada, but coal has also been produced in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. In 2014, there were 19 operating coal mines in Canada, all in Western Canada.

Plus, you plan to expand oil drilling and fracking ...

Here is your country's 2016 energy plan by the Canada National Energy Board:

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/...16/index-eng.html#s9

You know, you really should learn more about your own country before obsessing over ours.

Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:

Wow.

Weird thought...
Could it be that low energy prices (especially natural gas) was the cause of both the coal AND the green energy bankruptcies?

Of course, coal companies go bankrupt every 20 years without or without competition from natural gas or clean energy.

Or it could be the former President who promised to put them out of business ...

Yeah.

Ho-ly shit ...

Obama's a bastard.
Then he donated all the natural gas and the technologies to private companies controlled by republican Texas oilmen.
All because he wanted to bankrupt the coal companies for the 17th time in the last hundred years.

Powerful and evil.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
JSA wrote:

Wow.

Weird thought...

Yeah.

Ho-ly shit ...

Obama's a bastard.

Powerful and evil.

Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:

where is Canada on that list? Surely, given Cerveloguy's obsession with this Canada must be leading by example right?

we're already behind
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Its not about it being a small number. Its about asking why THESE 174,000 jobs and not someone else's 174,000 jobs.

Because THESE 174,000 jobs are heavily concentrated in a particular geographic area, for one thing.

More importantly, because these 174,000 jobs are held by people who have already seen job opportunities dry up, and because they don't have a realistic option to replace those jobs. It's not just about the 174,000 jobs lost now- it's also about all the similar jobs that have already been lost, and are not longer available for them to seek.

If we were looking at the death of teaching in the next 20 years, would you be concerned about all the teachers who were being put out of work? Why or why not?

The political conversation though is stupid. Don't promise to bring back jobs that aren't coming back. Promise to bring NEW jobs into that area to replace the coal jobs. Why not manufacture solar panels or something that is part of a GROWING industry? Why promise (falsely) to prop up a dying industry?

I know why of course. Because that's what the people want to hear. Well, I want to hear the president promise a $50k per year raise, a 4 day work week (three during the prime summer riding hours) and retirement at 50. The difference is I KNOW that's a fantasy. Somebody needs to tell the hard truth to the people of KY and WV, etc. that coal is a dying industry and help them find something to replace it.

Let's fucking be honest and actually help the people as opposed to lying about how you're going to help them. Though I'm directing my rant at Trump and the republicans I am of course fully aware that another version of this rant can be directed at the democrats, and rightly so. Let's solve problems and not just make unrealistic promises that are impossible to keep.

I don't remember any presidential candidates in the 70's or 80's promising to bring the typewriter manufacturing jobs back...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solyndra

I'll see your ONE solar company bankruptcy and raise you... 42.

https://www.snl.com/interactiveX/Article.aspx?cdid=A-32872208-12845&FreeAccess=1

And that is ignoring the fact that Solyndra was trying to develop and new technology and failed as opposed to these 42 companies that went out of business by just trying to continue to do business as they always had. i.e. a failing industry.

Maybe I missing something, but I think a business that goes bankrupt on welfare vs an industry that had endemic bankrupticies due to failures in capitalism are some how fundamentally different. Unless of course they've been receiving some sort of subsidy too, then, both examples demonstrate the stupidity of subsidizing industries.

http://dailysignal.com/...een-energy-failures/

I have no idea how credible this source is. It is just the first thing after I googled "bankrupt solar companies"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note that's western Canada stuff. Totally foreign to me. Better ask racin-_rusty. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of that plan was implemented? I think velocibuddha is talking about what happened while you're talking about what he had planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Note that's western Canada stuff. Totally foreign to me. Better ask racin-_rusty. :-)

note that your coal obsession is about an entirely different country and it is not stopping you opining regularly about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well a couple of things Mr. Worldly, some of the best coking coal (that's the stuff your sports car is made with) is mined in the back waters of Grande Cache host of the Canadian Death Race. That coal used to be shipped east to Ontario, now it's shipped to the far east of China. Maybe you're not aware of this, but in Alberta when the coal is shut down and the oil has run out we'll have no use for Ontario's manufacturing facilities unless you think going from building 10 or 20,000 miles of steel pipe is replaced with 20,000 garden hoes a 25 rotational molded irrigation storage tanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Stats about Coal (was going to call it "Why care about Coal?") [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
How much of that plan was implemented? I think velocibuddha is talking about what happened while you're talking about what he had planned.

got it thanks. You may want to explain that to the voters in WV.

what I do know is we wont have to speculate on whether this was planned or implemented
Last edited by: ironmayb: Mar 3, 17 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem hung up on things that haven't happened. How is that going to help those coal miners?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no debate on wall street, in academy, or even in the board room of coal companies.........

Unless the price of natural gas goes way up, the coal energy industry is fvcked.

Now coking coal is another matter.
Now that the American coal companies dumped their pensions on PBGC and ripped off their creditors- maybe they can compete for a small slice of that business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
You seem hung up on things that haven't happened. How is that going to help those coal miners?

you clearly haven't been following along. You cant help those coal miners. Coal is an antique, get over it. And besides, the coal miner issue is really fakes news. They can all lose their jobs and it wont move the needle on employment or anyone besides them caring.

Trump is just ginning up an issue and promising the moon and not going to deliver for coal miners.

Plus it's all natural gas anyway. Even though that's bad too.

If we can help the coal miners at all it will be by building solar panel factories in their area. Except those manufacturing jobs are going away and being automated. So they are screwed there too.

In summary, everything was great until Trump was elected and now everything is going to hell quickly.

Try to keep up from here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
There is no debate on wall street, in academy, or even in the board room of coal companies.........

Unless the price of natural gas goes way up, the coal energy industry is fvcked.

Now coking coal is another matter.
Now that the American coal companies dumped their pensions on PBGC and ripped off their creditors- maybe they can compete for a small slice of that business.

I am happy for the natural gas industry.

Trump is really fucking over those coal miners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a deep breath, you seem flustered and have lost the ability to track what different people are saying. Now, what is your overall point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
Take a deep breath, you seem flustered and have lost the ability to track what different people are saying. Now, what is your overall point?

this thread was supposed to have a point..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno, do you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
I dunno, do you?

nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Original point of the thread was whether or not we should be concerned with the job losses associated with the end of the coal industry, and whether or not it's worth protecting them while we can.

Secondarily, people brought up the fact that whether or not coal is dying or should die because it's bad for the environment, we actually rely on coal for a large chunk of our energy needs, and if we stop mining coal, we'll have to replace it with something. The alternatives all have their own drawbacks. Natural gas and nuclear power come with their own environmental problems, and renewable sources don't appear capable of filling the gap yet.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply

Prev Next