Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Who has ever been more ridiculed and made more fun of than Trump it has been endless for a year. SNL bits, Seth Meyers, The Daily show, The main stream media, Hollywood....

cry me a river. if the worst thing that happens to the president of the united states is that he gets made fun of by seth meyers, i'd say he's got it pretty damned easy.

as mentioned above, i think trump's problem is the ceiling rather than the floor. he's got a handful of hardcore supporter that will keep a baseline of approval for almost anything he does. but he really needs to appeal beyond that base with something more than red meat.

again, i think the smarter play is to change some minds by being magnanimous, even if it just means showing up at the dinner, laughing at a few jokes, and then ducking out. and if the jokes go too far, he could even play it for sympathy by acting dignified. this is politics 101.

he's playing to his base by skipping the dinner, but he ain't growing it.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
It may have actually been the best thing for him to do since he is so petty and vicious. Attending probably would have worsened his relationship with the media and would have made him look worse (still possible).

It is sad that he has to be handled like an emo teenager.

I'm not up to speed on emo kids these days. Are we supposed to ridicule them, or ignore them?

I think the Webster style guide says to ridicule the if they belong to someone else, and ignore them if they are your own.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It seems he is doing that with a lot of things. His supporters are of course happy but it is short-sighted. People seem to forget back in 2008-2010, where Obama pleased his base but didn't reach past that and paid a price in 2010.

He has of course, lots of time to reach out a bit more to the Independents and more moderates in both parties. I think he will have a great opportunity to reach out if he focusses on jobs and cutting the debt and that will change things but if he only does things to appease his core supporters, he will be making a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It seems he is doing that with a lot of things. His supporters are of course happy but it is short-sighted. People seem to forget back in 2008-2010, where Obama pleased his base but didn't reach past that and paid a price in 2010.

He has of course, lots of time to reach out a bit more to the Independents and more moderates in both parties. I think he will have a great opportunity to reach out if he focusses on jobs and cutting the debt and that will change things but if he only does things to appease his core supporters, he will be making a mistake.

Wouldn't focusing on those things cut into his Twitter time? I'm not sure he's quite ready to give that up.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I don't expect anything (well aside from him blundering his way from day to day).

I just enjoy mocking him and this is just another reason to. He's a pussy and can't take a few jokes. We all knew that though, this is just a reminder.

You don't get it and I suspect you never will. But your not alone. So you go that going for you.

I get it just fine. Anything he does is fine with you. Anything he doesn't do is fine with you. You are giving him a rusty trombone and you are loving every second of it.

You aren't alone. So you have that going for you.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Feb 27, 17 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Who has ever been more ridiculed and made more fun of than Trump it has been endless for a year.

Who has ever deserved it more?

I was no fan of BO- the endless lying , race baiting, lack of national security, and doubling our national debt... I can't imagine any Prez. doing more damage to this country. Yet 5% of the ridicule compared to Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Who has ever been more ridiculed and made more fun of than Trump it has been endless for a year.

Who has ever deserved it more?

I was no fan of BO- the endless lying , race baiting, lack of national security, and doubling our national debt... I can't imagine any Prez. doing more damage to this country. Yet 5% of the ridicule compared to Trump.

youre on crack.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

First, how many of those things did Obama do in the first 30 days of his administration?

Second, how can you fault Obama for national security? How many terrorist attacks occurred on his watch? How could he have done better than that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

First, how many of those things did Obama do in the first 30 days of his administration?

Second, how can you fault Obama for national security? How many terrorist attacks occurred on his watch? How could he have done better than that?

He sure didn't do a very good job securing our borders or handle the "J.V. team" .
There was once something known as the honeymoon period. Not so much for the Trumpster.

Not that a Prez. can completly control this but you asked.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/11410/complete-list-radical-islamic-terror-attacks-us-james-barrett#exit-modal
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
It may have actually been the best thing for him to do since he is so petty and vicious. Attending probably would have worsened his relationship with the media and would have made him look worse (still possible).

It is sad that he has to be handled like an emo teenager.

I'm not up to speed on emo kids these days. Are we supposed to ridicule them, or ignore them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He sure didn't do a very good job securing our borders or handle the "J.V. team" .

Trump is calling for an increase in defense spending by $54 billion and said he will bomb the shit out of ISIS. It's like he's been asleep for the last 15 years and woke up thinking bombing a group from 30,000' while they hide in cities is actually going to work and make the Muslim world love America.

The mindset baffles me to no end. The current defense budget is about $600 Billion and in Trump's own words, everything is a disaster. So what would be the smart thing to do? Maybe, look at ways to provide security without all the big ticket items like fighter jets or having military bases in 150 countries etc? Maybe getting out of countries where you do more harm than good? Maybe stop trying to force the Muslim world to love you while pointing a gun at them?

No. Trump's solution is to bomb the shit out of ISIS and win. Trump is in way over his head and he doesn't seem the least bit interested in learning about past mistakes. It would be a compliment to Trump to say he is on the J.V team.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Trump is calling for an increase in defense spending by $54 billion and said he will bomb the shit out of ISIS. It's like he's been asleep for the last 15 years and woke up thinking bombing a group from 30,000' while they hide in cities is actually going to work and make the Muslim world love America.

The mindset baffles me to no end. The current defense budget is about $600 Billion and in Trump's own words, everything is a disaster. So what would be the smart thing to do? Maybe, look at ways to provide security without all the big ticket items like fighter jets or having military bases in 150 countries etc? Maybe getting out of countries where you do more harm than good? Maybe stop trying to force the Muslim world to love you while pointing a gun at them?

No. Trump's solution is to bomb the shit out of ISIS and win. Trump is in way over his head and he doesn't seem the least bit interested in learning about past mistakes. It would be a compliment to Trump to say he is on the J.V team.

The question is what Plan To Defeat ISIS (TM) will the generals come up with? Were they told "come up with a plan that involves bombing the shit out of ISIS"? What was their deadline for presenting this plan?

The only plan I can imagine that won't leave us in a less-secure position would probably take 40-50 years to complete, has nothing to do with bombing, and is more dependent on changing our own culture than theirs.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Well, duhhh. Give them more money, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only plan I can imagine that won't leave us in a less-secure position would probably take 40-50 years to complete, has nothing to do with bombing, and is more dependent on changing our own culture than theirs.

I agree but there is no way Trump is going to say that. He wants to "win" this year.

I'm also curious to see how the Republican Congress deals with a proposed increase in military spending of $54B with no offsetting cuts in SS programs. From what I've seen so far, the cuts are going to come across the board, not sure how that will come close to $54B. Maybe he thinks he can just file for bankruptcy again...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I agree but there is no way Trump is going to say that. He wants to "win" this year.

I'm also curious to see how the Republican Congress deals with a proposed increase in military spending of $54B with no offsetting cuts in SS programs. From what I've seen so far, the cuts are going to come across the board, not sure how that will come close to $54B. Maybe he thinks he can just file for bankruptcy again...

I'm pretty sure Mexico is going to pay for all of it.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

The question is what Plan To Defeat ISIS (TM) will the generals come up with? Were they told "come up with a plan that involves bombing the shit out of ISIS"? What was their deadline for presenting this plan?

You must have missed his presser last week (well, we know you did). He clearly stated that military plans would stay secret unlike the last guy who loved to tell the enemy the military plans.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He clearly stated that military plans would stay secret unlike the last guy who loved to tell the enemy the military plans.

then why didnt osama get out of his compound?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Trump talks like he's in a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood Hollywood western. It's all tough talk of "Bad guys", "Bad hombres", "Bombing the shit out of them", etc . .

It's offensive language. And has probably set-back any kind of diplomatic progress that has been made in these either individual of collective issues and conflicts, by many years!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Before his 30 day General's plan Trump had his secret fool proof plan for ISIS.

“I do know what to do, and I would know how to bring ISIS to the table or, beyond that, defeat ISIS very quickly,” Trump said on Fox News Channel’s “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren.” “And I’m not gonna tell you what it is tonight.”

Host Greta Van Susteren immediately asked, “Why won’t you tell? We need all the help we can get.”

“I don’t want the enemy to know what I’m doing,” Trump replied. “Unfortunately, I’ll probably have to tell at some point, but there is a method of defeating them quickly and effectively and having total victory.”

The best word in this quote is "Unfortunately"
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does everyone insist that less than half the country voted for Trump? Perhaps based on those who VOTED.....but with a voter percentage at 55% of eligible voters in the country (http://www.cnn.com/...ar-vote-turnout-2016), it was hardly MORE than "half the country" that voted FOR HRC.

Dirt fighter wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
The WHCD has been nothing but a gathering of the pathetic , incestuous so-called journalists that want to feel like their a branch of government. No one that voted for Trump gives a fuck about it .

Trump (and his supporters) can continue to blame the "so-called journalists", "so-called judges", and "lying media" for everything that doesn't go their way, and none of them will continue to give a fuck about it. But that's less than half of the country.

Trump has missed a chance to play to his supporters (and possibly to take down some of his critics) by ducking this dinner. He could have made it all about himself. Now, he simply looks like someone unable to face anyone other than a group made up of carefully screened supporters.

I don't think a single supporter would be watching.
His supporters maybe less than half the country but it's much more than half of the ones who are engaged or that have skin in the game.
I'd say way less than half the country even knows what the WHCD is . And out those that do know , most would agree that Its a waste of tax payer money and has been nothing but a mock and bash conservatives /praise and worship progressives celebration for years. Should be shut down.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
He clearly stated that military plans would stay secret unlike the last guy who loved to tell the enemy the military plans.

then why didnt osama get out of his compound?

Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before his 30 day General's plan Trump had his secret fool proof plan for ISIS.

I like how some people think it is a good idea to not share any war plans so you can "surprise" ISIS.

Imagine if Trump did go ahead and secretly start bombing ISIS, just to surprise them. Then imagine if things go wrong and there are a lot of U.S casualties. How would Congress and the American public react to Trump's unilateral decision?

Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orchidrun wrote:
Why does everyone insist that less than half the country voted for Trump? Perhaps based on those who VOTED.....but with a voter percentage at 55% of eligible voters in the country (http://www.cnn.com/...ar-vote-turnout-2016), it was hardly MORE than "half the country" that voted FOR HRC.

Are you seriously struggling w/ the fact she got more votes than he did? Yes, I'm aware that we have a system which gives different blocs of votes unequal weight so you can win the race w/ fewer votes than your opponent, but now that the election has been decided and we've moved on to arguing about how much "support" the winner has/deserves, then it's easier to make the claim that the candidate who got fewer votes has less overall support. It's really not that complicated.
Quote Reply
Re: President Thin Skin to skip White House Correspondents dinner [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
orchidrun wrote:

Are you seriously struggling w/ the fact she got more votes than he did? Yes, I'm aware that we have a system which gives different blocs of votes unequal weight so you can win the race w/ fewer votes than your opponent, but now that the election has been decided and we've moved on to arguing about how much "support" the winner has/deserves, then it's easier to make the claim that the candidate who got fewer votes has less overall support. It's really not that complicated.

No "struggle"......just stating an opinion based on (once again) seeing someone state that less than half the country voted for Trump. Hey, I'm Libertarian.....so I think they are both horrible candidates in their own unique ways, but let's not inflate the interpretation of the vote count to serve one's own purposes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next