Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia?
Quote | Reply
Anyone want to explain this?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're saying there should be one?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$$$$$$$$$$

And, supposedly, allies.

It would be interesting to see if Trump has business dealings in those countries that will be protected by not including them. What's the over/under on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Anyone want to explain this?

Well you know, wouldn't want to piss off the terrorists.
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
$$$$$$$$$$

And, supposedly, allies.

It would be interesting to see if Trump has business dealings in those countries that will be protected by not including them. What's the over/under on that?

From Bloomberg...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word, oil!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
One word, oil!

Huh? What oil does Egypt and Turkey have?

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Nova wrote:
One word, oil!

Huh? What oil does Egypt and Turkey have?

Oil!!!!!!!

No blood for oil!!!!!!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One possibility is that Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt are predominantly Sunni Muslim.

Iran is predominantly Shiite.

Saudi Arabia is far more concerned with Iran than they are terrorists looking to harm the U.S., so to appease them, you pick on Iran and leave Saudi Arabia and the other Sunni countries alone.

In other words, what Saudi Arabia wants, Saudi Arabia gets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the answer is that Trump's policy is just a carry-over from the Obama administration's Visa Waiver Program:

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the VWP:
  • Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, or countries listed under specified designation lists (currently including Iran and Sudan) at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions).
  • Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions).

You can read about the program here:

https://www.cbp.gov/...l-prevention-act-faq

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
$$$$$$$$$$

And, supposedly, allies.

From Bloomberg...

It would only make sense to do business in the more stable areas in the region, if at all. If you showed me a map of these countries without a color key, I'd pick exactly the same countries to do business with, though Egypt would be cause for concern.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 28, 17 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know.

Have you heard about these "spontaneous" airport protests?

You know, the ones that just sprung up today, spontaneously....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It would only make sense to do business in the more stable areas in the region,........

You might have a point, but I'd suggest instead of trying to guess where terrorists come from by looking at stability, why not just look at the countries that terrorists have actually come from?

And they just happen to be those that are not banned.

Using Occam's Razor, is it more likely that Trump truly has our best interests at heart, because he's such a swell guy? Or is it likely that it has something to do with business relationships with those countries among the aristocracy?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yup, I know several friends who drove to SFO tonight. There's this cool thing called the Internet....
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Yup, I know several friends who drove to SFO tonight. There's this cool thing called the Internet....

Did they also instantaneously get some professionally printed signs made up on their way to make travel miserable for the masses?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A large percentage of the ones that I have seen are hand-painted. I can ask my friends tomorrow if they made their signs by hand. Your concern for the travelling masses is duly noted. These protests are in response to Trump's policy. I assume that you are blaming him, right?
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
A large percentage of the ones that I have seen are hand-painted. I can ask my friends tomorrow if they made their signs by hand. Your concern for the travelling masses is duly noted. These protests are in response to Trump's policy. I assume that you are blaming him, right?

Trump's policy didn't make me drive to the airport and block traffic. It didn't force you to do it either.

I blame the idiots who are shutting down travel at major airports for this.

Hopefully the day never comes when some dip shit tries block my path...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand! This makes no sense! There must be some conspiracy! He doesn't really believe in keeping Americans safe!

I don't care about all those people killed by radical Islamist in this country, this is just the wrong way to do it. If we can only convince them to celebrate diversity! Accept homosexuals, bisexuals, trans-sexual, lesbians, or whatever us enlightened, smarter than everybody leftist people hold dear. I don't care if one of my relatives ever is the future victim of a Radical Islamic terrorist attack, I know I am fighting for a more virtuous cause. We must not exclude any peoples into our country from where there might come more Islamic extremism. We Americans don't matter! Political correctness is most important! For Budda's sake, a 4 month ban is just ridiculous! Who cares about a better vetting system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, freedom of assembly is so darn inconvenient!
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [Stoosy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stoosy wrote:
I just don't understand! This makes no sense! There must be some conspiracy! He doesn't really believe in keeping Americans safe!

I don't care about all those people killed by radical Islamist in this country, this is just the wrong way to do it. If we can only convince them to celebrate diversity! Accept homosexuals, bisexuals, trans-sexual, lesbians, or whatever us enlightened, smarter than everybody leftist people hold dear. I don't care if one of my relatives ever is the future victim of a Radical Islamic terrorist attack, I know I am fighting for a more virtuous cause. We must not exclude any peoples into our country from where there might come more Islamic extremism. We Americans don't matter! Political correctness is most important! For Budda's sake, a 4 month ban is just ridiculous! Who cares about a better vetting system?

How many of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia? A country that is not on the banned list...

I'll save you the trouble. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appeals to emotion and strawmen aside, where do you draw that line on immigration rights? The desire to create 100% safety from any attack leads down a very dark hole in which virtually any action can be justified. The standard cannot be 100% success, otherwise we would ban all guns, and all cars, and all swimming pools (all far deadlier). Rather than rant, how far do you take it? We interned the Japanese, was that too far? Would a Muslim registry be too far? IMHO, this particular action may be unconstitutional, besides being counterproductive. You may not agree, but that argument is certainly plausible.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jan 28, 17 22:50
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you would question why Saudi Arabia isn't on the banned list? You sound like one of those narrow minded Fox News patriotic Americans that worries about raising there families in a safe society. How dare you be so bigoted!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stoosy wrote:

Curious why you bring up sexual orientation in a discussion of travel bans based on so called lists of religious countries?
Quote Reply
Re: No ban for Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Saudi Arabia? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cause the more Islamic Extremists in our country, the more safe people of different sexual orientation are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stoosy wrote:
Cause the more Islamic Extremists in our country, the more safe people of different sexual orientation are.

Clearly. Why didn't I see that in the first place....or maybe you're just an idiot...

Why should someone of different sexual orientation ever feel unsafe? Is it because of intolerant bigots?
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Jan 28, 17 23:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next