Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Inauguration open thread
Quote | Reply
Who's watching?
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never realized how bad it was to live in your country. What a mess, but he will make it great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it. Thought he supposed to try to unite. There was some of that but I perceived more throwing out red meat to his base. My thoughts were that the tea party won the election.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Trump made a good speech, very much in line with the reason he won, focusing on the problems with a small group in Washington at the expense of the public.

Obama made similar comments so only time will tell if he can actually deliver but now he has the chance to prove himself.

I think it was very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh the humanity!

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made me wonder why a person that has everything the world has to offer would want the job. Somehow this gives me hope about his presidency.

Re: Inauguration open thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Watched it. Thought he supposed to try to unite. There was some of that but I perceived more throwing out red meat to his base. My thoughts were that the tea party won the election.

tea party? Bernie Sanders could have written a large part of the speech. Bernie supporters should have been cheering.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was very good.

It was a toned down version of the stump speech that he had given for the past year.

It sounded like campaign speech.

It had the same style as on the Trump campaign - focus on negativity , darkness and how bad things are because I'm going to, Make America Great Again. Of course this belies the fact that a number of key metrics in the U.S. are actually VERY good even great right now! Not saying it's perfect, but - it's certainly not that dark, terrible world (I think Trump used the word "Carnage" - perhaps the first time that, that word has been heard in an Inauguration address!) that Trump goes on and on about.

Oh well . . here we go! Hang on. It's going to be a wild ride! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed the speech but will check it out later. I did catch the benediction/prayers and was reminded just how different my vantage is from Franklin Graham's & how different he is from his father.

No surprise, I was not a Trump voter and am not a fan of anyone with such little decorum. (Wasn't a Hillary voter either, FTR.) However, it's where we're at and I'm wishing him the best and hoping he surprises us with a new face of tact, patience, a listening ear, and an awareness of the interests of our country as a whole over narrow interests. And I hope he keeps our troops safe and out of unnecessary conflict.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made me wonder why a person that has everything the world has to offer would want the job.

I was thinking the same. If I was 70 and had billions of dollars, the last thing I would want is that pressure cooker job. I bet there will be a lot of nights ahead where he asks the same question.

Somehow this gives me hope about his presidency.

I think a lot of people will feel that way today. You have a 70 year old billionaire who lives for public approval and headlines. The only way he will get it is to make radical changes and prove his detractors wrong, something Trump lives for and will not be shy about sharing.

I think he will make some big decisions on Monday.

Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said it better than me.

Quote | Reply
Haven't watched the whole speech yet but here's what I see so far.

WTF, tinypic.com in now sponsored by fucking Mackeeper.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It had the same style as on the Trump campaign - focus on negativity , darkness and how bad things are because I'm going to, Make America Great Again.

I didn't watch, but read a transcript. (https://www.nytimes.com/...eech-transcript.html)

It comes across to me as a lot like his speech at the convention- paints a portrait of an apocalyptic America. I wonder how much of that is style, though. Some of the problems he describes are very real. Crime is down, but it has always been and continues to be a massive, destructive force in many of our communities. Job loss and the economic stagnation is a very real, very serious problem. I think the hyperbolic terms he puts those issues in, next to his pandering to his base (a righteous people and a righteous public) make his speeches come across as overly melodramatic.

Didn't care for it, though. I think he raises some legitimate issues, but I don't think he's going to solve them. Willing to give him a chance with that, but the bigger issue is that style matters, because I think that style reflects his attitude and world view. Contrast his style with Reagan's, for example. Similar substance, arguably, totally different approaches.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I hope he keeps our troops safe and out of unnecessary conflict.

His talk about "Radical Islamics", and using those words, just put those troops and the rest of the western world in a higher state of risk. Apparently, Trump had been advised in security briefings to NOT use those words as it actually incites Radical Islamics - get's them fired up! Why give them verbal oxygen??

And just generally Trumps position on Muslims, has most likely increased the risk for U.S. troops in those regions and again for the whole of the west. I would say the world is perhaps a bit LESS safe, with Donald Trump as President today than it was yesterday.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Who's watching?

What? It's not on March 4? When did that change?

These things make me really nervous in that everyone who's in charge is there in one place. Easy target. Good thing Russia is back on our good side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I burned about 1,400 calories on the elliptical watching it, so it wasn't time misspent.

The MSNBC coverage was unintentionally hilarious. Audible sighs punctuated the commentary, and culminated with Rachel Maddow literally sobbing off camera during former President Obama's departure.

Surreal event overall, but the most interesting season finale I've seen in a while.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel that way during the State of the Union. I know there's always one Cabinet member off-site in case of disaster, but if someone blows up the Congress during the address, I'm not particularly reassured that the Interior Secretary or the Postmaster General is ready to take the helm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

His talk about "Radical Islamics", and using those words, just put those troops and the rest of the western world in a higher state of risk. Apparently, Trump had been advised in security briefings to NOT use those words as it actually incites Radical Islamics - get's them fired up! Why give them verbal oxygen??

And just generally Trumps position on Muslims, has most likely increased the risk for U.S. troops in those regions and again for the whole of the west. I would say the world is perhaps a bit LESS safe, with Donald Trump as President today than it was yesterday.

What's so hard to understand about the words, "secret plan"?

“IF I run, and IF I win, I don’t want the enemy to know what I’m doing. Unfortunately, I’ll probably have to tell at some point, but there is a method of defeating them quickly and effectively and having total victory.”
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
It comes across to me as a lot like his speech at the convention- paints a portrait of an apocalyptic America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14llAWjyS6Q

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed the speech, but I have a list of do's and don'ts about inaugurations...

1.) No one should be required to "hope the President succeeds". If he wants to do stuff you think is a bad idea then, of course, you hope that he fails. The rest of us need to get over it.
2.) At the same time, the media's focus on the inauguration should be on the people that hope he succeeds -- their stories, their happiness, and their victory. That's just the way it's done. Every feel good Trump story doesn't need to be matched with a feel bad story.
3.) Caveat to #1... While it's OK to be against the President, it's in bad taste to be overly melodramatic about it, and expect your grief to become the news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I know right. We should just stay quiet and watch like a good cuckold . You fucking pussies are priceless. Weakness puts our troops at risk not calling a spade a spade.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Who's watching?

The riots have begun. Wow.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Inauguration open thread [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I burned about 1,400 calories on the elliptical watching it, so it wasn't time misspent.

The MSNBC coverage was unintentionally hilarious. Audible sighs punctuated the commentary, and culminated with Rachel Maddow literally sobbing off camera during former President Obama's departure.

Surreal event overall, but the most interesting season finale I've seen in a while.

Damn. Wish I had recorded that. I love live TV drama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have broken out the popcorn. Watching off and on hoping to see a nice protester beat down.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew MSNBC would be the place to watch today. Did not disappoint.

Also, Rick Perry was seated next to a super hottie during the ceremony. Pretty sure that wasn't his wife.

Quote Reply

Prev Next