Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Documentary - Religulous [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Moving on then...

One of the issues with even the "net good" concepts of God is that "net good" is a really, really low hurdle to get over. Vladmir Putin could make the argument that he is saving lives by carpet bombing Aleppo -- a net good. The torturers from the Spanish Inquisition could argue that a short stint of torture here on earth -- designed to help you understand the benefits of confession and belief -- easily outweighed the eternal torment that was waiting for you in the hereafter. When MLK makes the statement "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere", theologians would need to reply "Well, actually...".

I'm not sure that this is a satisfactory approach either.

And it's not all tied to mankind and his/her decisions. You go out in the wild and basically all animals consume other animals in order to live. It's the way of the world.
Heck, lionesses often begin eating gazelles while they're still alive... balls first! That's having your innocents suffer, I'll tell you what.

I'm not really following your examples of "net good." To me the question is whether a certain action is good or bad. Yes people can make arguments about whether their actions are good or bad. However, their subjective view does not change affect the question: is a certain action good or bad?

Accordingly, relevant to your formulation of the POE, I don't care what some hypothetical person may argue. I'm asking your opinions on existence.

Is it good or bad action to bring a new human being into this world?

Similarly, if you were put in the position of God, holding the current existence of the world in your will, the action at question is do you instantly extinguish the world or allow it to continue. Which action is good?

Do you have a view on those two questions?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Honestly, I think "all-powerful" is fairly straightforward and relatively easily understood, as well as being a constant across Christian belief. God can do all things, nothing is impossible for God.

A more fruitful discussion when it comes to the problem of evil would probably entail defining and understanding the concept of "all good."

Your definition is simplistic and is countered by arguments such as can God make 1+ 1 = 3. or Can God create a rock so big he can't lift it.

These kind of examples come from saying he can do all things. Even early theologians realized this. Some would say God is all powerful in the areas he would choose to influence.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Honestly, I think "all-powerful" is fairly straightforward and relatively easily understood, as well as being a constant across Christian belief. God can do all things, nothing is impossible for God.

A more fruitful discussion when it comes to the problem of evil would probably entail defining and understanding the concept of "all good."

Your definition is simplistic and is countered by arguments such as can God make 1+ 1 = 3. or Can God create a rock so big he can't lift it.

These kind of examples come from saying he can do all things. Even early theologians realized this. Some would say God is all powerful in the areas he would choose to influence.

So, by extenuation, you are saying that a world without evil in it is a logical incongruence much like 1+1=3?
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm not really following your examples of "net good." To me the question is whether a certain action is good or bad. Yes people can make arguments about whether their actions are good or bad. However, their subjective view does not change affect the question: is a certain action good or bad?

I don't think you are understanding the concept of "net good" then -- which is weird because you were just arguing for the concept when it comes to God. The idea of net good is that we total up all the good, and total up all the evil and at the end we come to an equation that has Good>Evil.

So when Putin carpet bombs Aleppo all he has to do is formulate how this action ultimately cuts the civil war short, keeps a (relatively) benevolent dictator in power, and ultimately saves lives. In other words good>evil from his carpet bombing plan.

This is the same situation and calculation you set up for God when you decided that some evil was OK as long as there was net good.

Last edited by: SH: Jan 17, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think those arguments are simplistic. ;)

As you note, that question has been well addressed by theologians for centuries. Omnipotent has not generally been understood to include being capable of logical or conceptual impossibilities. (Which, itself, might be a wedge to help pry open an answer to the problem of evil.)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but could not express it -- and simple is usually my forte.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

As you note, that question has been well addressed by theologians for centuries. Omnipotent has not generally been understood to include being capable of logical or conceptual impossibilities. (Which, itself, might be a wedge to help pry open an answer to the problem of evil.)

The highlighted is not an argument - it's usually the first clever thought someone has when they sign up for Philosophy 101
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. Right?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The highlighted is not an argument - it's usually the first clever thought someone has when they sign up for Philosophy 101

Those are the kind of people I wished would take a gap year...

Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's usually followed up "Is my mind all there is?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
lol. Right?

The argument thats not silly is that if there is a god, he either cannot stop evil, or he chooses not to.

Choosing not to, is widely recognized as immoral and we hold some of these people criminally responsible. (Madatory reporters for example) should we really hold flawed people to a higher standard than a supposedly perfect god?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's a little funny is your notion that if God exists, we have any business holding the Supreme Being to a "higher" standard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
What's a little funny is your notion that if God exists, we have any business holding the Supreme Being to a "higher" standard.

Shouldnt it be?

Its not a foreign concept. We do this in society all the time. In the criminal justice system, we hold the actions of more intelligent people to a higher standard than we do to people who are of low intelligence.

You always dismiss the idea that we cant hold god to any standard but you have never given an argument as to why. If you want to argue that we cant judge god, then you have absolutely zero justification to say he is good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You always dismiss the idea that we cant hold god to any standard but you have never given an argument as to why.

Because I find it self evident. If a Supreme Being exists, that being is itself the standard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

You always dismiss the idea that we cant hold god to any standard but you have never given an argument as to why.

Because I find it self evident. If a Supreme Being exists, that being is itself the standard.

Then are you against mandatory reporting laws? Because in those, we are holding people to a higher standard than god.

A supreme being does not equate to perfect being nor does it abdicate it of responsibility.

Lets take your idea into a smaller closed system to see if it holds up.... imagine an island inhabited by a diverse range of beings. One is clearly superior to the others in every way. Are the others not alllowed to judge or find fault with the superior one since it is the standard?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lets take your idea into a smaller closed system to see if it holds up

Actually, let's not, because that's not in any way analogous to what I'm talking about when I reference a supreme being. You seem to be under the impression that I'm talking about a being that is essentially just like us, only more- bigger, stronger, smarter, maybe with magical powers or something. What I'm talking about is a being who is the author and well spring of all reality. It makes no more sense to find fault with a being like that than it does to talk about square circles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You seem to be under the impression that I'm talking about a being that is essentially just like us, only more- bigger, stronger, smarter, maybe with magical powers or something

"Let us make man in our image"

Quote:
What I'm talking about is a being who is the author and well spring of all reality. It makes no more sense to find fault with a being like that than it does to talk about square circles.

Thats complete nonsense. If this were true, it would be illogical for you to conclude that child rape is anything other than glorious. Since, this god was the wellspring of child rape. Or do you find child rape abhorrent? If you do, you may want to take that up with the author who invented it and watches silently as it happens.

If I were the author of reality, I would do without child rape. It would be an improvement if it wasnt invented by your god, dont you think?

Eta: intercessory prayer is a tacit acknowledgement that god can do better

Last edited by: veganerd: Jan 17, 17 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
50+ wrote:
I'll go back to church when someone can explain free choice and a omniscient creator. That is, how can we have free choice to make our own decisions if God already knew everything we were going to do before he/it created the universe

How can we have free choice when God decided to destroy the world with a flood because we sided with evil? We chose, he hated our choice. Game over?

Free choice doesn't remove the consequences of our behavior. As you noted it says the people were acting wicked.

Genesis 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
I'll go back to church when someone can explain free choice and a omniscient creator. That is, how can we have free choice to make our own decisions if God already knew everything we were going to do before he/it created the universe

If I ask my wife if she'd rather have sushi or go to the hole in the wall Mexican place (which is awesome) I know she'll choose sushi. That doesn't mean she doesn't have free will, it means I know her so well I know what she'll choose. Pair that idea with a God who created the universe and everyone in it. If God did all that he's very clearly infinitely superior to us so why couldn't he know what choices we'd make?
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
50+ wrote:

How can we have free choice when God decided to destroy the world with a flood because we sided with evil? We chose, he hated our choice. Game over?

Free choice doesn't remove the consequences of our behavior. As you noted it says the people were acting wicked.

Genesis 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Setting aside the free will/determinism debate and simply granting that free will exists...

Demanding action under threat of violence is not a demonstration of free will for the victim. This is the system that the christian god set up.. "if you dont love me then youre going to burn"

Free will would be "you can choose to love me or not and i will not torture you either way"

Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
50+ wrote:

If I ask my wife if she'd rather have sushi or go to the hole in the wall Mexican place (which is awesome) I know she'll choose sushi. That doesn't mean she doesn't have free will, it means I know her so well I know what she'll choose. Pair that idea with a God who created the universe and everyone in it. If God did all that he's very clearly infinitely superior to us so why couldn't he know what choices we'd make?

Then you not free to make any other choice...hence 50's point.

God cannot know what you will choose if you are actually free to make another choice. If you have comoletely free will, it would be impossible for god to know the outcome before hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I wouldn't say we should hold it to a higher standard. I would ask whether it was worthy of worship. Just because something can fuck you right the hell up (literally) does not mean it should be worshiped.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

I wouldn't say we should hold it to a higher standard. I would ask whether it was worthy of worship. Just because something can fuck you right the hell up (literally) does not mean it should be worshiped.

Bt higher standard, i mean a higher standard than believers usually do. I mean raise it to the standard in which we hold eachother.

I also agree with your point but would add, worship is useless.

Quote Reply
Re: Documentary - Religulous [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ask whether it was worthy of worship.

Again, I have to wonder what makes you capable of judging such a being worthy or unworthy.

Just because something can fuck you right the hell up (literally) does not mean it should be worshiped.

No, that's true. Of course, I didn't make that argument.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel that I have to clarify this. This notion of Hell as a place of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) is a relatively recent theological evolution and is definitely not universally held amongst Christians. I'll set aside the lack of lived belief I mentioned in an earlier post, but while many people "believe" in ECT, many others believe in Hell as something completely different (temporary, for example, though there are others), many others believe that it doesn't exist. ECT has been a great means of psychologically controlling people, though. I don't have time to get into it right now, but as far as I'm concerned ECT is highly problematic theology and full of holes and it's unfortunately done nothing to lead people into living a more full, fulfilled life.

I only mention this because with a statement like "the christian god" there's an implied understanding that this is the belief, when it's only a belief and I want it to be clear that there are many of us who don't buy the westernized ECT belief...not to be combative with you!

veganerd wrote:
Setting aside the free will/determinism debate and simply granting that free will exists...

Demanding action under threat of violence is not a demonstration of free will for the victim. This is the system that the christian god set up.. "if you dont love me then youre going to burn"

Free will would be "you can choose to love me or not and i will not torture you either way"
Quote Reply

Prev Next